68528members
360454posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Told I have Breast Cancer following mammogram ultrasound - Waiting biopsy results

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Told I have Breast Cancer following mammogram ultrasound - Waiting biopsy results

Yes, it is true, EARLY detection !

When I first came on here 3 years ago I said the same as you to a lady (Jobey68) who helped me. 'I wish I was at the stage where I could help and reassure others', I didn't actually think that I would be at that stage ever as the mental hole felt so hopeless. She said 'you will be'. I say the same to you ....you WILL get to the stage where you can look back and help others.

Highlighted

Re: Told I have Breast Cancer following mammogram ultrasound - Waiting biopsy results

Thank you! Smiley Happy 

You are correct, I dont know much about it other than "cancer" and that word alone puts the fear of God into me.

I dont want to go looking for for statitsics or researching this as I was told NOT to Google it by the consultant and after my last attempt of self diagnoses with Doctor Google, as you know i ended up in a very dark place and totally convinced myself I had a rare incurable progressive nerve disorder ! 

I wish I was at the other side of this looking back and was able to reassure other ladies, it must be nice to be able to have it behind you and come through the other side after all the tests and waiting and treatments and waiting.

Thank you once again sharing your opinion based on your experience. Means a lot

I did actually speak to one of the nurses here on the website and she said "Anything smaller than 3cm is considered early detection" Not sure if that is true but it made me feel better x 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hiyer Liz,

I've replied to your PM. Contained means that they believe it is just that, in the breast and not anywhere else. Stage 4, ummmm, noooooooo......not with the tumour size and the 'possibly borderline a few cells in the sentinel node'. I know its all really confusing and you are hit with this BC malarkey at a time when you have so little knowledge of it, but take it from us old hands.....this is the type of diagnosis that so many women have on here, many who I have known for years and years and were entirely successfully treated. Many have a much larger tumour and cancer cells in various nodes, and are also successfully treated. Women of all stages, doing just fine.

The stage your consultant describes at the moment sounds like 1B, a tumour of around 2cm and a few cells in the node. However, I am aware that  you havent had your definitive diagnosis, and even if things change slightly from that its all early sounding and treatable.

Highlighted

Dear Charys 

THANK YOU so much for your response and the info you provided. It made me cry with recognition. 

this, I thought hot flushes and sleepless nights. I thought Id got away with it after 10 years of perimenopause but the last 6 months was on a whole other level. And at my lowest, I cried out "I want to die" many many times. So now I am thinking

"You silly woman!" (I am Superstitious and have an anxious mind) 

For example:

I think if I dont worry about something of I should be worried about it will come true and I didnt worry about the breast lump much at all, was totally convinced it was a cyst or a fibroid and now its cancer. 

I have no doubt I have cancer no doubt at all. I cannot imagine both the consultant and the radiologist would tell me its most likely cancer unless they were very confident in what they have seen based on their experience.

So I have come to terms with that. The anxiety is how advanced and how fast and is my "borderline lymph node" effected. I dont and haven't gone looking for stats. I just know stage 4 would be my worst nightmare. 

My gran on Dads side had a breast removed aged 41.

I had been using very high doses of progesterone for years (not oestrogen) because online natural progesterone is all the rage and "Oestrogen dominance" is a thing. I feel for it hook line and sinker and applied 400 to 500mg of progesterone to my skin every single day for 7 years. I cant help but wonder if thats the cause. 

I am hanging on to the consultants words that its "contained" and "2cm"

But she also said "Even if it has gone to your one borderline lymph node, It is still contained"  That doesnt make sense as that means it may have spread so by default its not contained (?) 

Its late so I will come back tomorrow and continue with my blabbering... its a kind of therapy even if no one reads it. 

I will PM you thank you for the offer! I feel you can relate to the menopause and perimenopause concerns. ...

Thank youx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh and if you are post-menopausal there are other meds (not tamoxifen) that can be prescribed.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hiyer Liz,

I really really related to your post! I am now 51 years old, and 3 years post diagnosis. I have been in perimeno for 7 years with extreme irregularity of cycles, really really struggling prior to diagnosis. The last three years have been absolutely awful with peri symptoms. I won't even go into details of how my mental state has been affected (also referred to mental helath services at one point last year, but didn't end up using the service), as I'm sure it will be repeating many of the things you too feel, but it has been incredibly debilitating and tough at times. I was always at the mercy of hormone changes and was very ill with post-natal psychosis after giving birth many years ago. I was always told that I would need HRT at the time of meno, but of course, now I can't have it (despite needing it badly) and find it a hard place to be at times. However, I tell you all this as I wanted you to know, you can and will find the strength, its not easy but sometimes things are not as awful as you fear. I DO get through the lows, because they DON'T LAST, there is always an end to them and there are non-hormonal medications they can give you to help. You are terrified right now, as you don't know the diagnosisdetails  and are thinking about all the 'what ifs' but you need to take this step by step, as has been suggested below. Don't think too far in advance, as you don't know if and what you are facing. If you find you are needing treatment then please remember, firstly this is YOUR body and you can make your own choices from what is offered. You will find there is a very strong support network for women diagnosed - with specific counselling even availiable. You can talk extensively to the breast cancer nurses and make descisions based on what is right for you. I won't go into details now of my own treatments, as it may be that you need different treatments, but you will find that you can access much advice and support - and if things are too hard then you just tell people and they try to find a way around it. As for tamoxifen, it affects some people with side effects, it gives no side effects for others....most of those who fear it generally give it a try and for a few unlucky ones the effects are so bad that they stop taking it. Ces la vie ! Quality of life is critical above and beyond a couple of possible percentage points of gain. I think it may help you to hear that? Nobody will force you to continue with something that makes you feel bad, IF it did.  I am happy to chat via PM  if you find you want to, and will check back on this thread to see how you are getting on. 

Oh one more thing - my oncologist told me I could have HRT providing I took tamoxifen. So, that would be something you could discuss.

C x

Highlighted

Hello Liz, 

I replied to you on your other thread so don't want to repeat myself here too much! 

I also don't think you need to be sorry for the way you are feeling. I sometimes think we expect that we should be stoic and stiff upper lipped about it all and if we don't fulfill this brave warrior image then we failed in some way. Well sod that.

You have not had the diagnosis confirmed yet, nor the type of cancer it is so don't jump the gun about treatments such as Tamoxifen or similar just yet.

Easier said than done but try and break it down into more manageable steps for you to deal with. For example, you need to wait for biopsy to confirm what you are specifically dealing with first and then take it from there.

Wishing you all the best, 

Chick 🐥 x

Highlighted

I wish I could... I wish I was stronger minded but the last six months happened to have been the worst in my life with the mental health crisis team involved for a short while. Menopause has been horrible with depression and anxiety about health ... I was just managing to crawl out of that rabbit hole and then this happened.  I wish I was mentally stronger ...I know I’m one of thousands going through this but I feel alone and I felt this way when menopause hit me too...

i am on HRT six months really don’t want to stop it but then at the same time not even sure it’s done anything...

i have bladder issues and vaginal atrophy symptoms from declining Oestrogen so the thought of suppressing Oestrogen as part of the treatment with tamoxifen is not a good one...

im sorry guess I’m feeling sorry for myself I’m angry 

thank you for your reply. Xxx 

Highlighted

Thanks for replying Ann

Im sorry I didn’t know I’d posted somewhere else here...guess that shows where my head is at. 

Ill go take a look x 

thank you 

Highlighted

Hi Liz

I'm so sorry you are having to post here, but welcome. I'm 51 and was diagnosed last summer with stage 2 cancer, after finding a lump just like you. I had surgery and I'm now back to work and getting back to 'normal'.

It is a huge shock, but you are living through the worst part right now and it will get easier. Until the biopsy results come back, no-one can be certain but, if it is bad news, there will be further tests and then a treatment plan. When you get this, you will feel much better as you will know what's going to happen.

You will be allocated a designated nurse. They are an absolute godsend and will support you through this.

I had a mastectomy and, like you, they mentioned chemotherapy and radiotherapy but I didn't have either of these in the end. I had an Oncotype DX test after surgery, which can assess exactly how your tumour will react to chemo so, if it's not necessary, you won't have to have it.

You're at a stage where all the medical staff are being extremely cautious, so it's a bit of an information overload.

Do use the forums here, they are full of wisdom and friendship.

Try to take it easy and do things you enjoy. It's hard, but go out for coffee or for a walk, or something else you enjoy doing.

Take care, Chocxie x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Liz,

I see you've had a response on your other post, so do look at what was said there from our lovely forum members if you haven't already.

We've all been where you are now, so what you're feeling is quite usual, as it is such a shock. It seems they've been quite clear with you about it, but things only get finally conformed with the biopsy results.

Honestly, do go with what you've been told, bc is very treatable with excellent outcomes, with the vast majority of us getting through it all & back to life as usual after treatment. I'm 3 years down the road & just fine as many of us are.

Once you know what you're dealing with & the treatment plan is confirmed, then it does feel a lot better & the feelings you have now will resolve somewhat.

Do come & chat or vent when you need to & if it's confirmed, then do look at the 'going through treatment' section, where you will be able to chat & get support from others going through similar.

ann x

Highlighted

Told I have Breast Cancer following mammogram ultrasound - Waiting biopsy results

Hello

My name is Liz and i am 50 suffering with menopause and all that comes with it and now this. And I am scared and depressed 

I found what seems like such an obvious lump in my breast about 2 weeks ago, I am pretty confident it wasn't there 2 weeks before that as i just found it running my hand over my boobs to see if they were tender in lue of my irregular period and it seemed massive! Doctor had a feel said she was confident it was no cancer but referred me on the 2 week rule. I attended the breast screening clinic last night in Burnley, Lancs.

I went in alone as I was so sure it was a cyst so big and so sudden. But as things progressed in the clinic I felt it wasn't so simple. I went for the first mammogram no sooner had I sat back in the waiting room I was called back for another for a different position (side view) then I was sent for a ultrasound which I wasnt expecting. And it was here things turned sour. I asked the radiologist (?) who performed the ultrasound if it was a cyst and she replied no, I asked if it was a fibroid and she replied no, I asked if it was a benign tumour and she replied "I would be surprised if this wasnt cancer but its totally treatable" I just burst out crying as they continued with the biospy of an apparent 2cm mass and a suspect lymph node which she described as "borderline and could be just normal for me"

At this point they asked me if I had anyone with me and i texted my partner who was in the car outside and told him it was cancer. We both saw the consultant me in anabsolute daze and she said "It wont sink in now but over the next week it will sink in and you need to be prepared for the follow up appointment as we discuss treatment once we have the biopsy results back" She said it was "contained" and what I was feeling was not the lesion but the flesh over it because it is deeper down. She said it was "only 2cm" and "even if it has spread to that one lympth node we can take that out too and it is still contained" She mentioned chemo and surgery..... I thought it was a cyst. I am terrfied and I cant "think positive" how can I after those words?