Wait for tests

Hi I’ve been following these chats for a while, I went to my dr 3rd May with changes to my right breast. GP said she would refer me for urgent referral and it would be quick I had a letter to ring the hospital 2 weeks later and the earliest appointment was 9th July, as many of u can imagine I’m going out of my mind 9 weeks from visit to GP… I asked the hospital was this for urgent referral they said yes. Everything I’ve read most people are seen within 2 weeks. If it is Cancer I’m guessing 9 weeks is a long time not to do anything. Panic set on weeks ago tbh but it’s gett worse then I think oh I’m overreacting. Thought someone else may be in a similar situation. Thanks xxx

Hi Charliejon,
Sorry to hear you’re going through this, it sounds like there is pressure for appointments in your area, although of course, it makes it more difficult for you, so you’re definitely not overreacting.
As I’m sure you’re aware, the vast majority of breast changes are not bc related, but again, a lengthy wait for an appointment doesn’t help with the inevitable anxiety. Even IF it is bc, the wait you have is highly unlikely to make a difference & chances are it won’t come to that anyway.
It maybe worth ringing the clinic to see if there is an earlier appointment.
If you want to, let us know how you get on.
ann x

I’ve had a 5 week wait for my appointment - 2 days to go - and it has been the most anxious of times for me.  Like you one minute I’m quite calm about it, the next I’ve pretty much written myself off.

My understanding is that all referrals get vetted though so if they are happy for me to be seen in 5 weeks time rather than within 2 weeks then that must be a good sign otherwise they would have seen me sooner.  Or at least that’s the way I’m looking at it.

I know it’s hard as you automatically think the worst but try and keep as busy as you can and try not to worry.