65671members
346000posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for 2ww appointment - 3 weeks on.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Waiting for 2ww appointment - 3 weeks on.

I thought I would update after my appointment today at the breast clinic in case anyone stumbles upon my post in the future and wonders what the outcome was. 

I went to the clinic today and the staff were lovely to me. The doctor couldn’t feel anything suspicious in my breast and was certain, as I was, that the lumps in my armpit were lymph nodes. 

I didnt have a mammogram because I was also referred just under a year ago when I was had a change to the shape of my breast and she said as it hadn’t been quite 12 months they wouldn’t want to do it. But I had an ultrasound on my whole underarm area. Long story short I have been discharged as the lymph nodes looked normal despite feeling like baked bean shaped lumps. I do feel relieved but it remains something of a mystery why I have these palpable lymph nodes. Likely from an infection that they haven’t gone down from. But I see haematology on Tuesday so they may be able to tell me more. 

Best wishes to everyone waiting on appointments and for results and living with and beyond breast cancer. Sending all of you ❤️ 

Highlighted
Community Champion

6 weeks is ridiculous to wait for an urgent referral .But at least you know things are now moving forward 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Highlighted

I finally have an appointment through for the breast clinic this week. Thursday morning. That’ll be a six week wait for a 2 week urgent referral 😞 

it’s been a long 6 weeks. I went back to my GP this week as I found another lump above the one that’s been there for months in my armpit. I am guessing perhaps he chased up the hospital which is why I finally have my appointment. The GP I saw is certain, as am I, that they are lymph nodes but says he isn’t at all worried because they aren’t big enough to worry about. Does anyone know if that’s true? It’s all very confusing. I know in terms of lymphoma the lymph nodes are usually large but with breast cancer all I seem to have read is that it can start in the armpit. Presumably in that case a lump in the armpit of any size is of concern? Mine is about 1-1.5 cm. it moves around and feels like a baked bean. The new lump in the area is immediately above it and smaller but the same feel and shape. The GP said some people can just feel their lymph nodes but if that was the case why would it suddenly appear and why wouldn’t I have the same on the other side. I’m so confused. Every doctor I have seen about this has said something different. 

Highlighted

Also Jill, yes my doctor did lots of bloods for causes of generalised lymph node swelling. Anything viral they could test for. My inflammation markers were initially high. But came down. None of the lumps did. One GP told me I had glandular fever. I went away thinking ‘that explains it’ then spoke to a medical professional I know personally and they looked at my results and told me that was totally untrue - all my blood test showed was that I had antibodies for glandular fever which 90% of people do. And I had no symptoms of glandular fever. 

The whole thing has been a nightmare and the last Gp I saw was really shocked I wasn’t referred back at the start of June. Now another month to wait for an appointment. If I could I would get it all investigated privately as I’m 3 months in now and it’s a bit of a weight on my shoulders. Can’t quite shake off an uneasy feeling creeping in when I think about it. 

Highlighted

Thank you also Jill. I only just saw your reply. I do hope the time passes for your wait quickly. Wishing you a lovely weekend. Anxiously waiting indeed. Trying to stay in the moment and not project in to the what ifs. 

Highlighted

Thank you for your reply Ann. That’s useful information. So it’s not always that they would need to biopsy lumps / lymph nodes after looking at them in the ultrasound?

i called the breast clinic yesterday and have been told that the current wait time for 14 day fast track appointments at my hospital is averaging 50 days! I’m only 22 days in to that wait. It’s not the experience of the process you’d hope for. 

Still, I am sure the time will pass ok if I keep myself busy. I am almost certain my lump (in fact I can now feel another smaller one next to the one the doctor referred me for) are lymph nodes. But hopefully eventually the ultrasound will be able to determine if they are anything needing further investigation. 

As as I said in my original post, I was also referred to haematology and although that wasn’t fast tracked, I had my appointment date through for that and it is in 3 weeks. I may end up seeing them first. Thanks again for replying. I really appreciate it. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Bluebellrebel,

Sorry to hear you have this wait, it certainly doesn't help with the anxiety.

At the breast clinic, you will be examined by the Dr, who will do an ultrasound. They do scan the nodes in the armpit & a biopsy will be taken if needed. A mammogram is normally done as well & if there is an area in the breast where it's not clear what it is, then a biopsy is taken.

Although the anxiety is difficult, the important thing is they are being thorough & it's right they are checking out the breast as well.  If you want to, do let us know how you get on.

ann x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ,the waiting is torture isn't it .I think as time goes on you do become more and more anxious.In my case they did ultrasound on my lympnodes and said they were clear ,the subsequent biopsy showed that to be true but until you get those results nothing is certain I'm afraid .Is your GP looking at other explanations too ? I'm currently waiting for letter through the post from my latests ( post breast cancer ) mammogram so I will join you in the "anxiously waiting room" - nothing you can do apart from try and keep busy and stay away from Google !!! I hope you get your appointment through soon .Jill x

Highlighted

Waiting for 2ww appointment - 3 weeks on.

Hi all 

I don’t particularly have questions for anyone but just wanted somewhere to possibly talk about it as time goes on I am finding it a little hard to not become anxious. 

I went to my doctor 3 months ago with what I assumed were swollen lymph nodes in several places on my body. The most noticeable of which is in my armpit where I have a hard but movable lump. I noticed them in May but waited a few weeks before going to the doctor as I though perhaps I was fighting off a virus. 

I then got called back for bloods. They had a few results off so had them repeated. Finally after about 7 appointments where they kept calling me back in with no change, the last GP I saw decided to refer me to haematology. Then, later the same day, telephoned me to say she was concerned about the armpit lump in particular and was sending me on a 2ww to the breast clinic.

That was 3 weeks ago and I have chased it up a few times to be told my local hospital is struggling to meet demand. That I should hear soon. Initially I wasn’t too concerned about the breast referral but as time goes on I keep touching the lump and my mind keeps telling me things like ‘it’s growing’ or that I can feel another.

i suppose I do have a few questions. Like does anyone know if they can tell if a lymph node is suspicious from an ultrasound alone? Or will they definitely need to biopsy it? And will they still do the mammogram and everything? Even though I appear of have no lump in the breast. I guess they will. I have been before and so have some idea what to expect.  I just want to get the appointment now.