Waiting for Biopsy results

Had a routine mammogram last month and following that was given an appointment at the local breast care centre. I had another mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy last week and am returning for the results next week. I had a panic attack in the appointment, first for 20 years as am terrified of needles. The doctor and nurse were extremely kind thankfully although I felt a complete fool afterwards.

I am very frightened and worry I will cry again next week. Any tips on how to keep calm before then and during the appointment. I am taking Nytol at night to try and help me sleep although it isn’t working that well 

Big hug to you!
waiting for results is really tough.

My suggestion is yoga …… the breathing exercises really helped me to stay calm and ‘ground’ myself even though I felt really silly doing them.  The more you practice, the more they help.  Breathing down to belly slowly really helps. 

Maybe also try yoga with Adriene on you tube - she has an anxiety session.  I found this really useful and just distracting myself with the yoga session was also good,

Dont worry about crying - it’s good to let it out.  I realized my health carers were used to tears ….

Wishing you all the very best!

Hi @Penstemon  - and hugs from me too, the waiting is sooo hard isn’t it, and the mind goes into overdrive imagining the worst. Try not to worry about crying or what the medical staff will think, they really won’t think badly of you - it is totally normal, they will have seen that every day and will be there to help and support you. Also make sure they are aware of your needle phobia, again that is very common. I hate needles and one nurse told me to focus on clenching my toes - apparently it is a distraction technique they use on children!!

I’d agree with Eglis’s wise suggestions. Do try to keep in mind that most lumps/changes are harmless and just because you have been called back doesn’t automatically mean it is bad news. One of my favourite books reminds us that “fears are NOT facts” - easier to type than put into practice I know.

If you find you are really stressed, you might want to ask your GP for a sedative type drug, just for the short term. I was given Lorazepam to use just occasionally when things got too bad.

Also, we are all here to hold your hand through this stressful time. It is a safe place to come and chat/offload or whatever you need, everyone understands exactly how you feel. I really hope you get the reassurance you want next week, but do keep in touch and let us know. Evie xx

Thinking of you today.