Eglis

Re: Waiting for Biopsy results

@louby_lou69 

Thanks for updating us.

sending you lots of hugs 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@louby_lou69 - I have just replied on here to Jacaranda, before I read your message, but my reply should also have been addressed to you. I’m sorry to read about your diagnosis, but I am glad to read that you are feeling positive - it is a relief to know what you are facing and to have a plan. As I said to Jacaranda, please feel free to ask me any questions about your treatment if I can help. I wish you all the very best as you go forward. Evie xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Jacaranda - as Eglis said, thank you for coming back to update us, but I’m obviously very sorry to read your news. I really admire your positive message, that strength will help you as you go forward, and also others reading your message. You are so right, the waiting is awful. It’s good that you have a lovely team to hold your hand and guide you through this.

I had chemo, mastectomy and reconstruction followed by radiotherapy, so if I can help with any questions please feel free to ask anything.

My very best wishes to you. Evie xx

louby_lou69

I have Stage 2 lobular breast cancer. I need to have an MRI which will determine what happens next, that will happen in the next week. I’m also oestrogen positive and HER2 borderline.
If they find more cancer in the breast it will probably be chemo and then a mastectomy. If it’s just that one lump I will have a lumpectomy (lump removal ) and radiotherapy. They’re looking at an operation in August. That’s it in a nutshell
I’m feeling very positive and feel so much better now I know for sure and what the plan is xx

Penstemon

Hi Lou,

how was your appointment this afternoon. I have been thinking about you today and wishing you well.

Pen

Eglis

Hello Jarcanda

Thank you for updating us.  It sounds like you are being well looked after - these ‚blips‘ sometimes smack us in the face but better to know and face it straight on.  
sending you big hugs and wishing you all the best.  Eglis

Jacaranda

Hi Evie

The waiting is over and now I finally know what I’m dealing with.
The biopsies have confirmed breast cancer and I will need mastectomy and possibly further treatment. 
Sending positive vibes to everyone awaiting results as it really is a dreadful time. Even though I have the diagnosis I didn’t want at least I know about it now. 
The consultant and breast cancer nurse were really caring and reassuring. Everything is going to be ok. 

Eglis

All the best louby Lou.  It’s an odd time …. I remember it well!  I did find some comfort in the fact that we know so much more about breast cancer now. 
Great to have your mum with you.  I dealt with my diagnosis by thinking I was talking about someone else - it enabled me to ask lots of questions and be totally clear on my treatment plan.

I try to remember that any question is a good one …. Don’t hesitate to ask and ask again if something isn’t clear.

really wishing you all the best.

louby_lou69

I’m going on Wednesday afternoon for my biopsy results. My mum is coming with me as my partner won’t ask the right questions (plus he’s suffering from sciatica so hobbling about on crutches)

I’m dreading the results and am pretty sure it’s cancer. I’m a teacher so thankfully it’s the long summer holidays in a few weeks. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Eglis

Dear Jacaranda 

Hope you are managing this waiting period.  Totally understand how difficult it is..... I also had to have three biopsies.  The waiting is very hard.

Do whatever you can to try to relax, distract yourself as much as possible and take support from your family.  Maybe sharing with a good friend helps..... one of myfriends was a rock.

Wishing you all the best.....fingers crossed the results are better than your mind might be anticipating.  
Big hugs!

Jacaranda

Thank you. This does seem to be a lovely forum with lots of support and encouragement. I’m usually such a positive person so I hate feeling like this and I just don’t feel ready to talk to friends/family/colleagues. Just told my husband and grown up children and trying to pretend to them that I’m not at all worried! And yes, that horrible Dr Google is no friend of mine so I’m ignoring him! 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi @Jacaranda - I’m so sorry you are having to wait for results, but I wanted to welcome you to this lovely forum while you wait. I really hope your stay will be short and that you will get the reassurance you are looking for, but if it turns out to be BC then we are here to help and support you every step of the way, and just to listen when you want to chat.

I know it is easier to type than do, but try to keep yourself distracted with whatever helps you, and try to stay away from Google. Google really doesn’t know you or your specific symptoms. I was diagnosed about 4.5 years ago now and I remember that awful wait all too well.

Sending you strength and hugs, and do come back and let us know how it goes on Monday - if you want to of course. Evie xx

Jacaranda

That’s lovely to hear some positive news. Such a relief amongst all the scary stories.
I too am awaiting results of biopsies taken last week and have appointment on Monday. To say I’m beside myself is an understatement. 
I’d noticed a wierd dimple/indentation under my breast and GP did urgent referral to breast clinic. Consultant felt ‘a little something pulling’ and got sent for mammogram and ultrasound where 3 tumours were found so several biopsies taken from each of them. I know I have to wait till Monday to find out what I’m dealing with but it’s a horrible feeling.

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Penstemon - that really is wonderful news, thank you so much for coming back to share with us. Not only am I glad on a personal level as we’ve chatted over the past week, but your message will also give hope to others who are anxiously awaiting results. I bet the flowers look even more beautiful today. Evie xx

Eglis

@louby_lou69   I‘m sending positive vibes your way too!  All the best to you too for your biopsy results.

Eglis

@Penstemon   That‘s great news and what a relief.  Enjoy your bunch of flowers!  Very happy for you.

louby_lou69

That is the best news I’ve heard all day!

I hope the bunch of flowers was a massive one.

Its a week today since I went for my biopsy, strange how life has just carried on.

Celebrate tonight!

Penstemon

Hi

Doctor rang me this morning to discuss the results as she didn't feel I needed to have to travel to hear them. I have been told the biopsy result is there were a few cells causing concern but all is benign. There is nothing to worry about and that I will be called back in a year for another mammogram and examination at the breast clinic I went to. I am very relieved and have been out to buy myself a bunch of flowers to celebrate.

I will be thinking of you Lou and your forthcoming 'journey'. Plus of course you other lovely ladies who replied to me and reassured me. 

Pen

louby_lou69

Thinking of you today. 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Penstemon - we’ll be right there with you. Evie xx

Eglis

Good luck for tomorrow.

sending strength and positive vibes your way 

Penstemon

Thank you so much Evie. I have the appointment tomorrow and am feeling very low about it.

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Penstemon - thinking of you this week, sending hugs 🤗 Evie xx

Penstemon

Hi Lou,

that must have been so hard for you finding a lump but so good that things are moving quickly for you. It feels like an emotional roller coaster, one minute going about your life and the next everything's upside down.

I only have a few days until my appointment. The Doctor offered to tell me the results over the phone but I have opted to go to the clinic again. They are really kind at the clinic and keep saying not to worry they will look after me.

Sending you all good wishes for our futures.

Eglis

@louby_lou69 …. Yes I get that.  I felt very much the same.  Often felt it just couldn’t be but it was.

The waiting is by far the worst … wishing you all the best.  Do whatever you can to distract yourself.

Eglis

@Penstemon I can totally understand your shell shocked feeling.  It’s ok …. Take everything as it comes.

I’m also a huge believer in walking …. I think it’s totally underestimated.  I walk loads and it really helps the head!

louby_lou69

I’m in the same situation as you, just a week or so behind.

I went for a mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy on Tuesday after finding a lump 2 weeks ago. The dr is pretty sure it’s cancer (I presume because of what they’ve seen on the scans) 

It was a total shock to hear them say the word cancer - cancer is what happens to other people. I’m too busy to have cancer. Please let me know how you get on, hoping your results will come back clear 

Lou

Penstemon

Today has been very hard, the constant rain outside has really got me down. I would have liked to go for a walk but there seemed to be no pleasure in it. I am lucky enough to live near some lovely places to walk and that is one of my great pleasures. I am a great believer in fresh air solving many problems. At least it is cooler so I might get a better nights sleep tonight.

I really appreciate you both responding to me. I am feeling a bit shell shocked at the moment with all this.

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Penstemon - I really hope you will feel you can just pop on here any time during the wait if you need a hug and some support. @Eglis has the best distraction idea, lots of rubbish Netflix films/box sets - that’s what I relied on during my wait for results. Evie xx🤗

Eglis

Muddling through is good ….. I’ll cross my fingers for you.

Penstemon

Thank you both so much for replying. It helps knowing there are people out there. 

I will have a look at YouTube and try some yoga exercises. I think anything to keep my mind off next week. The toe clenching sounds a great idea when needles are on the horizon.

Thinking about facts only is also helpful. 

Somehow I will muddle through until my appointment and I will come back and let you know either way what I'm told.

Eglis

@Evie-S ..... I am going to use that ‚fears are not facts‘.  So true.

@Penstemon As @Evie-S said, you are not alone.  I wish I‘d found this site earlier.  Feel free to share.  I‘m not sure if it’s of any help to you but I tried hard to just focus on facts and not what if’s.  My cancer was found in routine mammogram and I was luckily enough to have biopsy on same day.  Unfortunately or fortunately depending upon how you look at it, it lead to further lumps being found and two more biopsies so I totally understand the anguish of waiting.  One of mine was nothing to worry about.  
it’s a horrid time and hard to switch the mind off but do all you can to try to switch off.  Rubbish movies on Netflix that required no brain power to watch were also good.

All the best 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi @Penstemon - and hugs from me too, the waiting is sooo hard isn’t it, and the mind goes into overdrive imagining the worst. Try not to worry about crying or what the medical staff will think, they really won’t think badly of you - it is totally normal, they will have seen that every day and will be there to help and support you. Also make sure they are aware of your needle phobia, again that is very common. I hate needles and one nurse told me to focus on clenching my toes - apparently it is a distraction technique they use on children!!

I’d agree with Eglis’s wise suggestions. Do try to keep in mind that most lumps/changes are harmless and just because you have been called back doesn’t automatically mean it is bad news. One of my favourite books reminds us that “fears are NOT facts” - easier to type than put into practice I know.

If you find you are really stressed, you might want to ask your GP for a sedative type drug, just for the short term. I was given Lorazepam to use just occasionally when things got too bad.

Also, we are all here to hold your hand through this stressful time. It is a safe place to come and chat/offload or whatever you need, everyone understands exactly how you feel. I really hope you get the reassurance you want next week, but do keep in touch and let us know. Evie xx

Eglis

Big hug to you!
waiting for results is really tough.

My suggestion is yoga ….. the breathing exercises really helped me to stay calm and ‘ground’ myself even though I felt really silly doing them.  The more you practice, the more they help.  Breathing down to belly slowly really helps. 

Maybe also try yoga with Adriene on you tube - she has an anxiety session.  I found this really useful and just distracting myself with the yoga session was also good,

Dont worry about crying - it’s good to let it out.  I realized my health carers were used to tears ….

Wishing you all the very best!

Penstemon

Waiting for Biopsy results

Had a routine mammogram last month and following that was given an appointment at the local breast care centre. I had another mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy last week and am returning for the results next week. I had a panic attack in the appointment, first for 20 years as am terrified of needles. The doctor and nurse were extremely kind thankfully although I felt a complete fool afterwards.

I am very frightened and worry I will cry again next week. Any tips on how to keep calm before then and during the appointment. I am taking Nytol at night to try and help me sleep although it isn't working that well