Waiting for appointment. Anxiety out of control

I found a lump in my left breast a couple of weeks ago. I spent a week convincing myself it wasn’t a lump before telling my husband (who confirmed it definitely was a lump) and made me go to the doctors that day. The GP felt it and said she thought it was a cyst but also scared me senseless by saying the lump is 5cm, which seems pretty huge!! I’m also not very reassured by her saying she thought it was a cyst as I don’t know whether she was just trying to make me feel better (as I was a bit of a snivelling mess!) I’ve got my appointment at the breast clinic next Monday so I’m a week into my 2 week wait. I’ve seriously never felt so anxious in my life and I’ve been feeling all kinds of physical symptoms which have me convinced that not only have I got breast cancer but that it’s spread all over my body and that I’m going to get terrible news next week. I just don’t know how to get through another week of feeling so awful. I’m 41 and have 2 young children so my biggest fear is leaving them without a mum. Sorry to be such a drama queen. I’m usually a very calm person so this reaction is very unlike me! 

Hi Kathryn, please phone the bcc number or use the speak to a nurse facility. You are not a drama queen, the waiting to know one way or another can make the coolest cucumber turn into hot salsa. You need to remember that until you have been told otherwise you do not have it. Please keep off dr google (we’ve all done it and sent ourselves into orbit at one time or another) and we know to keep off it. You’ve done right reaching out to bccf rather than going nuts all by yourself we will ? if you need us while you wait for your appointment, so get your kylie gold hotpants on and dance till you are dizzy ? because right now you are a lady who doesn’t have it and more often than not it will be a cyst of bit of fat. Keep ?you sound ?to me. Hope this helps a bit ??:sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Hi Kathryn

You must be very anxious but hopefully you’ll look back and realise it was wasted energy. There are several possibilities when you have a breast lump. Despite the fact that the vast majority of lumps are benign, we all jump to the conclusion that it’s breast cancer! In my 30s, I had a huge lump (6cm) in the lower part of my breast. It was a fibroadenoma (a benign growth in the breast tissue). Apparently these are very common. I had it removed but it was doing no harm. In my 60s, I found 2 freckles on my nipple - that was a skin eruption of breast cancer, doing a lot of harm. So size isn’t everything :) 

Good luck with your check-up. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

How did your appointment go?

Bless your heart! I hate that you’re going through this. I know all too well how you’re feeling. I had my own scare 2 years ago and still worry constantly that something was missed, as I have an indentation in my right breast. After 2 mammograms you’d think I would be convinced nothing is there but I used google way too much and now I can’t get it out of my head that I’m dying of cancer and leaving my girls without me. I’m 26 years old and have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. I sympathize with you. 

I just wanted to let you know that the things you’re feeling are normal and it’s okay to be scared. Just don’t do like I do and let it consume you. I’ll be keeping you in my prayers. Please let us know how you turn out.