Waiting for appointment

A few months back I found a lump in my right breast and went to the hospital and was told it was a fibroadenoma, this lump felt like a pea and had was smooth and moveable, I recently found a new lump that appears to be under the original one and feels very different - I am scared as the difference between the two lumps is drastic, but feel I am being fobbed off because of my age (I’m 19) can anyone give me advice on how to stop myself being so worried, thank you x

Hi Alex,
Any new breast change needs to be checked out, so do go back to your GP about this & say what you’ve said here.
Please don’t be put off by feeling fobbed off & it’s good you are breast aware.
ann x

Thank you for replying! I have my hospital appointment on Monday, it’s that my GP didn’t perform a proper breast exam that worried and upset me more than anything x

That’s good, Alex. It would be quite usual for the GP not to do a breast examination, as they can’t definitely tell what it is, only the clinic can sort this out for you & put your mind at rest.
ann x

Hi Alex, I’m 18 and found a lump 2 and a half weeks ago, since then I have been to the GP twice (she wanted to make another appointment to see if there were any changes made to the lump over a 2 week period) and have now been referred to a breast clinic for an appointment next Wednesday. I am worried the same as you incase they simply assume that the lump is nothing due to my age so won’t carry out a full examination, however my GP was very thorough and helpful so I’m hoping the Dr will be too. I posted in this forum too a few days ago (“only 18 but feeling a bit scared”) and have had some helpful replies on that it you want to check that out for some reassurance ? I hope that your appointment goes well and the news is all good x

Hi Alexc123,

I’ve just had my appointment yesterday and sailed through (I’ve actually left a post about my story). It’s very normal to feel scared and worried. My GP did check my breast (you could see my lump without checking) but I notice the GP checked it in a different way to the clinic. It’s good that the GP has referred you so I don’t feel you are being fobbed off. It’s fantastic that you check your breasts too.

I can’t advise you not to be worried as it’s so natural and having recently been there myself I can say I was a mess! Once my logical thinking returned I realised that looking at the facts, there must be almost 1/2 a million people who attend breast clinics and get a positive outcome - 9 out of 10 breast changes are benign.

The clinic were absolutely lovely and there was even a boy around your age who had been referred!

Good luck for Monday and let us know how you get on xxx

Thank you both for your responses!! I think it’s difficult not to be nervous in this situation, hopefully the clinic will offer some clarity, I’ll let you all know how I get on and thank you for being so helpful, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who worries so much xx