Waiting for biopsy results thought it was all over

I was diagnosed in Dec 2014 with what consultant called a good cancer. I had wide local excision radiotherapy and put on tamoxifen. No lymph node involvement. Regular mammograms were all clear. In June was sent for bone scan as had shoulder pain and that was all clear. Waso happy. Three weeks ago found lump was fast tracked seen at breast clinic Monday had two biopsies one on lump and one dodgy lymph node. Now waiting for results.So scared for my girls that it’s back. They were 12 and 17 last time now 17 and 22. Eldest going back to uni this week and youngest in last year of A levels. She’s very angry and won’t talk about it. Don’t know how to support them especially as I’m single Mum. Haven’t slept last two nights as keep thinking the worse hoping for the best.

Hello SJ71, 

Hopefully someone will come along who has teenage children and can give better advice. 

So sorry to hear about your situation and that you find yourself in the nightmare waiting situation again. I hope you have your results now and that these were benign.

Breast Cancer Care have a number of booklets advising about discussing situations with children, family and friends.  It also gives indications about what the responses may be. Being angry and not talking would appear to be a recognised response. I have attached a link which I hope is of help to you. breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/talking-children-about-breast-cancer.

You may also find it useful to contact the Breast Cancer Care helpline and ask about the Someone Like Me Service.  If you have a Cancer Support Centre in your area like Maggies or similar then perhaps you could drop in there support too.  It is a lot to be coping with on your own. 

Best Wishes to you and your girls, 

Chick ? x

P. S. Personally, my opinion is that I would give any consultant a dressing down for calling any cancer a “good” cancer, even though I know what they probably meant by it! ?