Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I expect at the breast clinic

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: What should I expect at the breast clinic

Thank you Charys! 

I have had asthma in the past but not for 5+ years so that's why I'm a little concerned and it seems to be a bit different to asthma but maybe it is just that! I'm not sure why my lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen for a while. 

I hate the wait! My appointment is Wednesday at 2.20pm and I'm so stressed. I just can't tell whether the fact I have symptoms on both sides (so bite like mark on each bust, peau d'orange on each, vascular congestion on right) is a good thing because it makes it less likely to be cancer OR whether I might just be unlucky and have IBC on both breasts! 

By about 5 on Wednesday I'll know!

Highlighted
Community Champion

HIyer,

It is so common to start feeling all sorts of signs/symptoms/aches and pains at this point, a huge number of women we see here waiting for the breast clinic have this. Its the anxiety and panic, yes triggering things, in this horrible waiting game thats one thing you can be sure of that. Are you asthmatic and needed an inhaler than ?

Highlighted

Great thanks Charys, I'll do that! 

I am wheezy for the first time in years and a bit freaked out by that in case it's related to what is happening with my chest (bilateral IBC-like-symptoms) but it could just be panic related. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hiyer rosethistle,

hard to say when the letter will arrive, I'd certainly give it to the end of the week....maybe chase up on Friday?

Highlighted

Thank you guys, I'll take a look at the leaflet! 

I haven't got my referral letter yet but I phoned yesterday to check that the referral went out and it did last Friday (my GP appt. was on Thursday). Should I have received my appointment letter by now? 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Anyone with experience of breast clinic and IBC tests?

Bumping up again.....

Highlighted
Community Champion

Rosethistle,

Hi there...

I'm so sorry nobody has got back to you from our membership. I'm afraid I personally don't have experience of IBC, so can't be terribly specific with what to expect from the breast clinic as I believe the checking and tests could be slightly different than for other bc forms. I'm bumping this back up again........

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi rosethistle 

I'm sorry you haven't had a response to your post yet - I'm hoping that by posting one of our members will get back to you.

In the meantime, our website contains information on what you can expect at a breast clinic appointment https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/have-i-got-breast-cancer/what-expect-breast-...

You can also give our clinical speciaists a call on our free Helpline, which is open 9am-4pm Monday-Friday and Saturday 9am-1pm on 0808 800 6000.

All the best,

Bridie

Breast Cancer Care

Highlighted

What should I expect at the breast clinic

Hello,

I'm 30 with some symptoms that might/might not be Inflammatory breast cancer (redness, bite mark, texture change to skin etc.) and have a 2-week referral to breast clinic. 

What should I expect whilst there? I imagine for IBC it will be an ultrasound and if necessary a biopsy? I don't think they'll do a mammogram for my age group? 

I don't have a family history of cancer but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I don't have kids to worry about but I am feeling anxious!