Worried and feeling self induced loneliness

I’ve been (for want of a better word) nursing a breast lump for the last 4 weeks. I’ve given it a full menstrual cycle and still it’s there so I’ve been to the GP and got a 2ww referral. 

I was coping ok and being optimistic until the GP started talking about BC being one of “the best” cancers to have and there’s lots they can do these days - mastectomy, chemotherapy etc. Working in a GP practice myself I was expecting a referral but maybe more of a “ I don’t think it’s anything to worry about but we will refer you anyway “ kind. 

The part I am really struggling with is feeling scared and alone. I don’t want to tell my partner yet as he will fret and make it huge before it needs to be; Its just not an option until I know the facts. I don’t have any close female relatives that I can trust enough to keep it to themselves and I don’t want to put on my friends.

I just feel like I want to tell someone but without the sympathy and the feeling that I’ve put on them emotionally. I literally have no one that could / would just say they’re there if I need anything and not try and take it on as a crusade (if that makes sense?!?). 

Is anyone else struggling in this way? Or am I just being emotionally incompetent ?

Hi Dawson,

I’m sure your GP thought they were being reassuring, but you are also right to expect the response you describe. 

Telling others is always a bit of a dilemma & we all vary in how we handle it. 

Referral to the breast clinic is quite common & you may find that others have been through it too. It’s not necessarily putting extra anxiety on others, as it’s just getting it properly checked out at this stage.

Mostly, it turns out not to be bc, but only the breast clinic can get to the bottom of it. 

Is your partner going to suspect you’re anxious anyway & wonder what’s going on? 

Sometimes in our desire to protect others maybe we can overthink this somewhat. 

If you want to, let us know how you get on. 

ann x

Hi , hope that whatever your outcome was, you are managing ok. I’m new here but in same position you were, so your post struck a cord. Hugs

Hi! I am with you. My Gp told me that it feels like a syst but 2weeks clinic.  My husband went through the C in his 20th so I  told him straight away. He tells me just to wait.

Im 45and 11and 6 years old children. 

I m on my red wine because cannot take it in .

Thanks God! I’m working and it helps.

I can feel the lump and it looks like a little one next to it. They are or it a bit painful especially when I feel them.

My hospital’s appointment on the 24of June.    Grrrr