362917posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried

Highlighted

Worried

I had a breast cancer in 2005, had mastectomy, reconstruction, chemo and rads, five years of tamoxifen. Have been clear ever since. I have always examined myself monthly without fail. However this year I have been overcome by multiple bereavements and got out of the habit of self examination. Just over a week ago noted blood stained fluid from my nipple and a thickening under my arm. GP referred me to be seen an as I had been called for screening went for mammogram. Over the last week I have had endless calls from GP, Hospital that I have been referred to and screening hospital insisting that  am seen....I have an ap[ointment on Wednesday which is incredibly quick. I am absolutely petrified! I do not have a good feeling about this a t all and of course because of Covid  have to go alone.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Thank you both for your response. As you say it is awful the waiting  but also the thought of [potentially what lies ahead....tomorrow will be here very soon and hopefully a firm result

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Tessi95 - I am so sorry to read about what you are going through, the waiting and the fear is just awful isn’t it. Jaybro has given some wise advice, and I also wanted to give you a big hug and let you know that we are all here for you, will be holding your hand on Wednesday and hoping for a good result. Do keep chatting on here until then if it helps to offload. Try to remember that fears are not facts. Now is the time to be very kind and gentle with yourself, lots of nice treats and things to try to occupy your mind - whether you try mindfulness, chats with friends and family or TV box sets. 🤗 Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi Tess

I’m sure you remember the agonising waits from your last experience. Now the NHS has a 2-week commitment between referral and consultation and they are trying hard to adhere to this so it’s great you are being seen so quickly. 

I’m sorry I can’t assure you all will be well. But I hope you get some reassurance from the speed with which everything has moved. They would always follow up any abnormal change in a patient who has already had breast cancer but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is breast cancer, does it? On the other hand, if it is a recurrence, you know you are in good hands. Write down your questions and take time to note the answers, a role a companion might normally take. 

I hope it all goes well on Wednesday and you get a favourable outcome. This is something we all dread xx