Concerned about fibroadenoma

Hi everyone, about 6 months ago I had an ultrasound done for a hard moveable lump I felt in the upper inner part of my right breast. They told me it was a fibroadenoma and to do a follow-up ultrasound in 6 months, which would be this October. Lately I’ve been so incredibly stressed out about this follow-up appointment. I had a physical done about a week ago with a new doctor because I just moved, and she said she might have felt something in the middle lower area of my left breast. This wasn’t something that my previous doctor, or myself, had ever felt. She’s not entirely sure if it’s something to be concerned about, but I am so incredibly worried. Does anyone know if a fibroadenoma can turn into cancer? I’m 21, by the way, which is even more terrifying. I am so scared and stressed its turned into something much worse over the past 6 months.

Hi Jessica

Fibroadenomas are fairly common though they take time to grow. They are almost always benign but, depending on size, might be better removed. I had mine removed when I was 30, leaving a scar like a smiley emoji! I was told it was rare that a fibroadenoma would be cancerous. Add that to the fact that breast cancer is rare in your age group (not impossible but highly unlikely) and you have rare+rare=Trust your breast clinic’s judgment. I didn’t develop breast cancer till I was 68. I was told there was no link but the scar tissue had disguised one of my two tumours, making diagnosis difficult.

Please don’t Google. You probably won’t find much evidence of a link between breast cancer and fibroadenomas but it’s still very scary, with outdated information, inaccuracies, stuff that’s completely irrelevant and zero consideration for your fragile emotions right now. 

Your new GP would have made an immediate referral to the breast clinic had she suspected anything more sinister- it’s protocol - so, if she hasn’t, try to be realistic and reassure yourself. If you continue to be stressed out over it, you can ask to have it removed because of the psychological damage it’s doing to you. It’s a simple day job but pretty painful afterwards and nerve damage can (but doesn’t necessarily) make your nipple and scar area permanently numb. There’s always pros and cons.

Meantime, I’d find someone real to confide in, have a good hug if it’s possible and a good sob to release the stress a bit. I remember that terror (which, oddly, I didn’t feel with breast cancer). And stop prodding it? It’s not going to go away, nor will it change overnight. I hope you and your GP can reach a point where you feel reassured and can move on. But continue to be breast aware, ask your GP to show you how to examine your breasts and what to look out for. That way you’ll become familiar with your boobs and their texture and stop being afraid of them. I wish you all the best.

Jan x

Hi @jessicas  - we spoke back in April when you were having your fibroadenoma investigated. I’m glad it turned out to be benign, but sorry to hear that you are still worried about it and also a potential new lump.

You have already had some wise words from Jaybro, but I’ll just add my own experience. I also had a fibroadenoma when I was in my early 30s. I too was told that it was benign and wasn’t connected to the cancerous lump that was discovered in my other breast many years later. You could think about calling the lovely nurses on here to explain more about the medical side, and get their reassurance.

I agree with Jaybro that if your new doctor was concerned about the new “lump” in your other breast then she should have referred you for further testing. If you are still worried about it you might want to get a second opinion from a different doctor - and ask them about referring you for further testing? Are you in the UK - only reason I ask is that it looked like your message was sent in the middle of UK night time?

Please keep in mind that BC is extremely rare in younger women, but you really should congratulate yourself for being so breast aware and for checking out any changes.

Sending you hugs and please keep in touch to let us know how you get on, if you want to of course. We are also here to listen so come back and chat any time. Evie xx

Hello!
Breast fibroadenoma is a common benign tumor, rarely malignant. It develops slowly, has no symptoms, does not affect life and work, and can be closely observed and regularly followed up.