Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerned about fibroadenoma

10 REPLIES 10
medical-01

Re: Concerned about fibroadenoma

Hello!
Breast fibroadenoma is a common benign tumor, rarely malignant. It develops slowly, has no symptoms, does not affect life and work, and can be closely observed and regularly followed up.

Evie-S
Community Champion

@jessicas - thank you for coming back to share your good news, I’m so happy to read that your doctor thinks the various lumps are all benign.

It’s always hard when doctors offer us choices, such as whether or not to have a biopsy done - I much prefer them telling me what they would recommend! When I was in my 30s I had a mammogram, and I was told that I had a fibroadenoma, but wasn’t offered a biopsy. I hadn’t heard of biopsies back then so I didn’t think to ask. It sounds like a cliche but perhaps ask your doctor what advice he would give his wife or daughter if they were in your position.

Don’t forget you can always call the lovely nurses on here, the number is at the top of the page, if you would like to chat through the idea of having a biopsy. I’m not medical so wouldn’t like to advise you either way. I’m happy to chat more anytime, if I can help by listening or exploring options with you - but I’m not sure I’ve helped at all in this message! Sending hugs, Evie xx

jessicas

@Evie-S Sorry I've been away all weekend- it's been so crazy busy this is the only chance I've had to sit down and give an update.

It turns out that I have one other very small mass (most likely a cyst) in my right lower breast along with the fibroadenoma and 3 very very small masses (also most likely cysts) in my left. These are all so small I can't even feel them myself, only the fibroadenoma. The doctor told me everything looks stable, there's no evidence of malignancies, and that it's recommended for me to come back for another ultrasound in 6 months-a year. I'll probably go back in 6 months. She also told me that it's up to me whether or not I would want a biopsy done, but I'm not sure. Obviously I'm not happy that I have all of these masses, it's also really kind of surprising, but at least it's a relief to know it's nothing bad. 

Again, I'm not sure about the biopsy, I need to look into it more. That would for sure make me nervous because who knows what would show, but maybe it is something I will consider just to have that peace of mind.

Evie-S
Community Champion

@jessicas - I’m glad the book advice helps. I too like to note down helpful advice or phrases when I come across them. And thank you, your kind words mean a huge amount to me too. Sending positive thoughts to you. Evie xx

jessicas

@Evie-S That paragraph really does help a lot, thank you for mentioning it. I will definitely have to write that down and just read it back to myself for reassurance. I try to do that whenever I find something I really like. 

Thank you for thinking of me. I've said it before but it truly means so much that you would take the time to send me such a kind message, you have no idea. It's so nice to just be able to chat with someone like this. Keeping positive thoughts. Will be in touch again soon. 

Jessica 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@jessicas - thank you for your very kind and lovely message, and my apologies for not replying sooner. I hope you are managing to stay calm while you wait for your appointment on Thursday and keeping away from Dr Google. How lovely to have you on the forum all the way from California - a state I would love to visit sometime.

I can really relate to your comment about lots of previous emotions and memories being stirred up again, but that’s very normal. Did I mention a book I have (by Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins), forgive me if I’m repeating myself - but one paragraph really helps me: “Thoughts aren’t facts. A worried thought is just your interpretation: it is NOT a fact”. It is of course much easier for me to type than put into practice, but it is a book I go back and read often, and hope it helps you too.

I’ll be thinking of you especially on Thursday and here to chat anytime before that if I can help at all. Again, I may have said this before but it’s really great that you are so body aware and are getting concerns checked out. I really hope you will get the reassurance you are looking for on Thursday and can move on from this. I’d love to hear from you once you know your result/have had your appointment, but again only if you want to. Sometimes it’s just such a relief to get good news that you just want to move on (does that make sense?!). Sending hugs and strength, Evie xx

jessicas

@Evie-S 

Thank you so much for reaching out Evie, I remember you so well. You gave me so much reassurance and words of wisdom all those 6 months ago. I'm so sorry I didn't reach out after, it was all just such a rush and happened so quickly. I'm not from the UK! Just a small girl from California who found my way to this great forum haha. 

I'm trying so hard to reassure myself that it will be okay. I remember so clearly something you said to me- "you don't have breast cancer until someone diagnoses you". I can't tell you how much I thought about that over the past few weeks especially. And thank you for sharing your experience with me, it means a lot to hear other peoples stories. 

I have my 6 month follow up this Thursday the 7th. I'm trying to keep myself calm, but it's just stirring up so many emotions and memories from before the first one and it's all very overwhelming, especially with the possibility of a new lump. I will for sure come back and send an update when I know more.

So good to chat with you again. xxx

jessicas

@Jaybro 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, that means so much to me. 

It is all just so very, very scary. Especially since I moved away from my family to go back to college in person this semester. I was so relieved and so happy 6 months ago that I was told it was only a fibroadenoma and that I could continue going to school with no worries, but my biggest fear is that I something worse developed and I could have done something sooner. I know bc is rare in my age group, but the sheer amount of stress and anxiety I have felt over the possibility is just so much. I have my follow-up appointment this Thursday the 7th, but I swear it can't come soon enough. I feel so guilty because so many people have dealt with so much worse, but I just don't know how to handle this kind of thing especially being away from my mom and sister. 

Anyway, I am so thankful that you sent me a message, that just made my day especially since I don't really have anyone to talk to personally right now at school. Wishing you well and wishing the best for your health. Thank you. xxx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi @jessicas - we spoke back in April when you were having your fibroadenoma investigated. I’m glad it turned out to be benign, but sorry to hear that you are still worried about it and also a potential new lump.

You have already had some wise words from Jaybro, but I’ll just add my own experience. I also had a fibroadenoma when I was in my early 30s. I too was told that it was benign and wasn’t connected to the cancerous lump that was discovered in my other breast many years later. You could think about calling the lovely nurses on here to explain more about the medical side, and get their reassurance.

I agree with Jaybro that if your new doctor was concerned about the new “lump” in your other breast then she should have referred you for further testing. If you are still worried about it you might want to get a second opinion from a different doctor - and ask them about referring you for further testing? Are you in the UK - only reason I ask is that it looked like your message was sent in the middle of UK night time?

Please keep in mind that BC is extremely rare in younger women, but you really should congratulate yourself for being so breast aware and for checking out any changes.

Sending you hugs and please keep in touch to let us know how you get on, if you want to of course. We are also here to listen so come back and chat any time. Evie xx

Jaybro

Hi Jessica

Fibroadenomas are fairly common though they take time to grow. They are almost always benign but, depending on size, might be better removed. I had mine removed when I was 30, leaving a scar like a smiley emoji! I was told it was rare that a fibroadenoma would be cancerous. Add that to the fact that breast cancer is rare in your age group (not impossible but highly unlikely) and you have rare+rare=Trust your breast clinic’s judgment. I didn’t develop breast cancer till I was 68. I was told there was no link but the scar tissue had disguised one of my two tumours, making diagnosis difficult.

Please don’t Google. You probably won’t find much evidence of a link between breast cancer and fibroadenomas but it’s still very scary, with outdated information, inaccuracies, stuff that’s completely irrelevant and zero consideration for your fragile emotions right now. 

Your new GP would have made an immediate referral to the breast clinic had she suspected anything more sinister- it’s protocol - so, if she hasn’t, try to be realistic and reassure yourself. If you continue to be stressed out over it, you can ask to have it removed because of the psychological damage it’s doing to you. It’s a simple day job but pretty painful afterwards and nerve damage can (but doesn’t necessarily) make your nipple and scar area permanently numb. There’s always pros and cons.

Meantime, I’d find someone real to confide in, have a good hug if it’s possible and a good sob to release the stress a bit. I remember that terror (which, oddly, I didn’t feel with breast cancer). And stop prodding it? It’s not going to go away, nor will it change overnight. I hope you and your GP can reach a point where you feel reassured and can move on. But continue to be breast aware, ask your GP to show you how to examine your breasts and what to look out for. That way you’ll become familiar with your boobs and their texture and stop being afraid of them. I wish you all the best.

Jan x

jessicas

Concerned about fibroadenoma

Hi everyone, about 6 months ago I had an ultrasound done for a hard moveable lump I felt in the upper inner part of my right breast. They told me it was a fibroadenoma and to do a follow-up ultrasound in 6 months, which would be this October. Lately I've been so incredibly stressed out about this follow-up appointment. I had a physical done about a week ago with a new doctor because I just moved, and she said she might have felt something in the middle lower area of my left breast. This wasn't something that my previous doctor, or myself, had ever felt. She's not entirely sure if it's something to be concerned about, but I am so incredibly worried. Does anyone know if a fibroadenoma can turn into cancer? I'm 21, by the way, which is even more terrifying. I am so scared and stressed its turned into something much worse over the past 6 months.