cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found a lump

17 REPLIES 17
Mzcalmac

Re: Found a lump

@delly yes, it was absolutely the best news. We've had an absolutely horrid year, Our wee dog had a mast cell tumour in January and we've had months of surgery and chemo with him, He's back at oncology for staging next month, but thankfully all seems good. 

I think if I hadn't had to wait for my appointment it wouldn't have been as scary, but it gave me too much time to think. 

delly

@Mzcalmac - Wow, that's soo BRILL to hear. No doubt a huge "PHEW" from you!! I'm soo pleased for you.

Hope all stays well with and for you now. Lots of love and best wishes to you,  Delly x❤️x

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Mzcalmac - I’m so so pleased to read your message, thanks very much for coming back to share your good news. Not only was I personally interested having chatted with you, but others who are waiting for results will be helped by reading that not all lumps are suspicious. Very best wishes, Evie xx

Mzcalmac

@Evie-S Thanks for reaching out. Thankfully it was good news at the hospital, there are a few cysts, but nothing suspicious. I really appreciate all the messages of support, and feel so grateful that my fears were unfounded xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Mzcalmac - thinking of you today, do let us know how you got on if/when you feel like it. Evie xx

Mzcalmac

@Evie-S thank you, it helps to share here, instead of keeping it in my head. I'm going to keep occupied this weekend, and try not to feel overwhelmed. 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Mzcalmac - we will all be right with you on Monday holding your hand (virtually), and also here for your over the weekend while you wait. Try to find something to distract yourself, easy to watch films, meet up with someone, whatever helps.

It’s very easy for our minds to run ahead and start imagining things, whereas we should try to focus on the facts and what we know (easier for me to type than put into practice of course). One of my favourite books by Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins reminds us “Thoughts aren’t facts. A worried thought is just your interpretation: it is NOT a fact”.

Waiting for tests and results is very tough, there is no easy fix. Just try to take the days one at a time, or even one hour at a time if you are finding it especially hard. Sending hugs, Evie xx

Mzcalmac

Feeling apprehensive ahead of appointment on Monday, feeling really tearful and scared. 

Mzcalmac

I chased this up again today and have been told my appt has been arranged for 18th Oct, so still a bit of a wait. I've been feeling pretty anxious, and have a persistent headache, no doubt due to tension. Going to keep practicing relaxation exercises, and just try to stay 'in the moment' instead of being consumed with worry. 

Cumbrian Lady

Hang on in there and keep asking and pushing yes there are lots of people waiting but you have got to look after 'you'.

Big HUGS to you

Poppy xx

Mzcalmac

@Cumbrian Lady  Thanks. I'm trying to stay level headed, and mostly managing. I know there are a lot of people waiting on appointments like I am x 

Cumbrian Lady

What worrying times for you.
Sometimes they tell us xx amount of weeks, but we get the referral sooner (hope this is true for you).
I hope your lump is benign (but I get the worrying about it all) it's only natural and it is only natural we think the worse, delay compounds it all.
Talking on here to people who understand exactly what you are facing/thinking is a great way to shed some of the worry it helps to air your feelings, good your husband is supportive as well.

Wishing you all the best

Poppy xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Mzcalmac - thank you for replying to us all and for your kind words. Please do keep in touch, we will all have everything crossed for you. Delly always sends great supportive messages, she will keep you distracted while you wait. Evie xx

Mzcalmac

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

I've seen the nurse at my GP and been referred to the breast clinic, however I'm told the wait time could be 4-6 weeks, due to Covid backlog, although most people don't have to wait that long. The idea of a lengthy wait is agonising. My husband and I have decided if I'm no further forward at the end of next week, I will go private for the mammogram.

My maternal Aunt had a double mastectomy 8 years ago, and her sister passed away from cervical cancer, so I really don't want to mess about waiting. I know there is a high chance its nothing, but until I know for certain it's a huge worry. 

delly

Hi Mzcalmac

I equally echo the lovely Evie-S and nurses welcoming and supportive messages. I hope you have been given an appointment by now?

I'm a 14yr survivor, if it's any help, but I am sooo hoping it's nothing for you to worry about.

Pleease do let us know how you go on, will you hey.

Lots of love to you,  Dellywelly  xXx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi @Mzcalmac - first of all a big welcome to this lovely forum, although obviously I’m sorry you have found a breast lump that is concerning you.

Have you now managed to speak to your GP? Have you been referred to the breast clinic? I don’t know if the timescales are the same in Scotland as England, but in England patients are supposed to be seen within 2 weeks of a referral. If you have been referred, please don’t automatically assume the worst - GPs will always be cautious with any breast lumps or changes. Many lumps turn out to be benign, cysts or other non cancerous lumps (fibroadenoma is one example).

Of course the waiting time is really really tough, and will for you bring back memories of your previous scare. Thankfully that one was non malignant and I really hope this new lump will be too. Please use this forum to chat or offload while you wait, if that helps. Everyone on here knows exactly how you are feeling so you can chat without having to explain. Sometimes it is easier to chat on an anonymous forum than speak to family and friends - everyone finds what works for them, there is no right or wrong way, just what is best for you.

Now is the time to really be kind to yourself, even though that sounds a bit of a cliche. Lots of treats, whatever that might be.

I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago now and I still remember that awful wait for tests. If I can help at all by listening please get in touch any time. Sending hugs and strength, Evie xx

Chiara_BCN
Community Manager

Hi Mzcalmac

This sounds like a worrying time for you, I'm sorry you haven't received a response yet. Our Breast Care Nurses can offer you a friendly listening ear on our free Helpline 0808 800 6000, if you would like to chat to someone about this in the meantime. Alternatively, you can get in touch with our Nurses in the Ask Our Nurses area of the Forum and they can respond to you online.

Sending you my best wishes x

Mzcalmac

Found a lump

I'm 53, and have psoriatic arthritis. I live in Scotland (South Lanarkshire)

On Saturday I was getting ready to go out, and noticed a red/pink mark on my right breast. I felt it and there is an obvious lump, small, round, hard and immobile. There is no pain.

7 years ago I had an ovarian cancer scare, had elevated CA125 levels, scans showed fibroids, and extensive endometriosis. Gynaecology referred me to oncology and I had a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, removal of my fallopian tubes and ovaries, however they were unable to remove my uterus due to the endometriosis. Post-op biopsies showed no malignancy.

I've called 111 today as GP is closed for local holiday, but told just to call GP again tomorrow.

As you would expect, I am feeling incredibly anxious. I assume I will get a referral to breast clinic, but have no idea what timescales are involved due to Covid. Can anyone offer and advice or reassurance. I don't want to worry my family (siblings. I don't have any children) so for now only discussing with my husband.

Thanks C.