62255members
327731posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GP said strong possibility you have breast cancer

Re: GP said strong possibility you have breast cancer

Well the gp was WRONG!! I haven’t got cancer! I’ve got a massive infection that has caused the biggest abscess they have ever seen. They can’t believe I haven’t been climbing the walls in pain, they have taken out as much as they can for now, need to wait for test results on what they have taken out for the right prescription and then they want to see me again in a few weeks x
Community Champion

Well done you.....its so individual how people process this....I wish I had been able to be more accepting in advance of the scans and tests. It certainly would have helped, rather than spending weeks saying 'it won't be, it can't be'. You are right - if it is something - then its been caught and will be treated. x

Highlighted

Thanks Charys, I am actually feeling fairly calm about the whole situation right now, not sure why though!

I know I may not get all the answers on Sunday, but if I go and get told it's nothing to worry about then great news, if it is something to be concerned about then at least the process has started.

Although ask me tomorrow how I am it may be a different story!! x

Community Champion

Hope you are doing ok Becs. Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Oh thats one small piece of 'good' news anyway. I am glad there has been some proactive intervention on your behalf. Sunday ey.....you are special Smiley Tongue Thinking of you Becs.

Well the GP rang me last night and was not happy that I hadn't even heard anything and he will chase this morning, he must have worked some magic as the hospital have rang and my appointment is on Sunday at 11:30.

Finally feeling a little bit better as at least I know I am geting seen x

Community Champion

So sorry to hear this Becs, I can well imagine the waiting and how it is making you feel. My results were delayed from my initial biopsy by quite a few days, as it was Easter holiday. I can recall crying on the phone to the surgeon's secretary as I couldn't imagine another minute of waiting, let alone 5 days. Your GP didn't exactly act that quickly either....I thought it was an electronic referral that they could do nowadays. Although this is agony, remember, no days of delay will make a difference now to either what is there, (or in the case that there is a form of BC- it will make no difference to it changing in that time-frame).Psychologically this will be the toughest thing you will have gone through I should think, it certainly was for me, and all I can do is comfort you that you will be supported here in the next few days and weeks (if needed!)

Becs,

So sorry this is taking so long.

I would keep chasing & tell them how stressed you are and can't cope with it and push push push for them to see you asap.

Big hugs

xx

So I have the hospital again this morning, they didn't receive my referral until the 5th, 2 days after I had seen the GP. They again said they know I am urgent but they are waiting on management to release some more dates and times, and I should receive a letter by this time next week!

Have to say I am having a bit of a wobble today, the waiting is truly awful Smiley Sad 

Community Champion

Oh Becs, you are still waiting ! Gosh that's so painfully cruel to not have an appointment yet...and the long weekend on your own with your own thoughts. Come on here and post, we will be around popping on and off - also consider ringing the helpline number above if you need some emotional 'outlet'.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replys and support it really is appreciated. I have rang the doctors today, the gp I saw is off today so they have left him a note for Monday so doesn't look like I will be getting seen in the 14 day period.

With my parnter off to Germany tomorrow for work till Tuesday it looks like a long weekend ahead Smiley Sad

Becs x

Hi Becs

Hope you got sorted with an appointment, just to say NICE guidance says an urgent referral should be seen within 2 weeks (14days) for both England and Wales.

I was seen on exactly 2 weeks after my referral, I think Trust’s get penalised for not meeting targets so hopefully you will be seen soon

Take good care

X

Hi Becs

Not a nice situation to be in and similar happened to me except the doctor actually said she was referring me urgently for suspected breast cancer!  It was said loud & clear and I went into shock.  Couldn't function.

The thing is there's no getting away from it, you've found something that needs to be checked out apparently urgently.  The doctor has ensured that you understand there is an urgency to it and ensured that by doing this you're proactive by chasing the hospital for your appointment.  No news like this is easy to take or easy to give no matter how it's couched.  

I really feel for you and I think you're more upset & angry about being in this situation and I'm sure that your OH is just angry and upset at the whole situation and really really worried about it.  It's a horrible and stressful time.  The main thing is you get it checked out and go from there.

Hopefully it'll be okay for you.

Take care & please let us know how you get on

xx

Community Champion

Becs I don't know for certain but I'd say within 14 days from referral , I'm not sure hospitals would use working weeks. I know it's so stressful but from my own experience I was referred as urgent due to my mum having died from breast cancer and I was seen 6 days later but I'm sure that was only because of my family history.

You at least know they have your referral and I'd say due to Easter there may be a slightly longer wait, does nothing for your state of mind I know but in physical terms a few extra days or even weeks will make no difference to the outcome if you were diagnosed Xx Jo 

Hello Becks, it is easy for someone to say don’t worry until you are told for sure but it is difficult. I had a lump 7 years ago and was given quick referral and went the the clinic within 2 weeks.

The consultant who saw me sent me for mammogram and also biopsy and afterwards said if 1 was nothing and 5 a definite cancer then he put me at a 4 and asked if I wanted to see the BC nurse.

I said no as until confirmed then in my mind it was nothing to worry about and I didn’t ( we are all different in how we react to news) as it turned out it was a lump of gristle and benign. So all was good.

Unfortunatley now during my first routine mammogram I was diagnosed with DCIS and have just come home from a masectomy. Caught very early so ‘pleased’ rather than upset.

Stay positive until you are told for sure, that is different to staying strong if you want to cry then ball your eyes out, but then get back to being positive, best of luck

Can anyone tell me if weekend days count in the urgent day referral? It's been nearly 2 weeks now and I still don't know when my apointment will be. I did ring the hospital yesterday who have confirmed they have received my referral, have noted that it is urgent but said they are waiting for more dates and times to be released.

I am going out my mind with worry and lack of sleep, all I can hear is the GP's words going round and round Smiley Sad

Morning Smiley Happy

I was thinking about contacting them, but technically it has not even been a week as yet as i saw the doc last Tuesday but it was after 5 so he sadi the referall would not go in till the Wednesday morning. I'm not one for complaining too much, my mum and my sister are both nurses so understand the pressures they are under and there are lots of other women in the same position as me waiting to be seen, but the doctors words have defintely made it worse.

I think i will give it a couple more days and then make a call.

Great news regards your treatments and it is really nice to see the support you are giving others x

Spoiler

Community Champion

Hiyer,

I finished treatments end of June 2016 (Diagnosed March 2016), so all is going well Smiley Very Happy

I hope he is wrong too, I sincerely do...none of us want anybody 'joining us'....but sadly women do.

It does seem incredibly heartless, especially if you have a longer wait. I know you probably aren't up for a fight or an argument in your present state, but do you think it's worth contacting the surgery/doctor and saying that mentally you are struggling hugely now you've been told its a strong possibility. Could they make extra efforts to push your appointment through as quickly as they can, and advise the clinic team that you will come if they have a short-term cancellation ?

Hi Charys,
Thank you so much for replying, I’m starting to get angry as to what he said, causing me sleepless nights, I hope he is wrong in what he said.
I think once the appt comes through I will feel better as at least I know I will be getting seen, I live in Wales and from I’ve seen they are not the greatest at seeing people within the 14 days as promised.
I’m sorry the diagnosis for you wasn’t good news, I hope the treatments are going well.
Honestly thank you for your reply it truly means a lot xx
Community Champion

I wanted to add, being 'worried sick' is horrible and understandable. I personally lost a stone in weight in the two-three weeks before being diagnosed and couldn't sleep or function properly. Please find comfort in knowing that even IF you need treatment, for the vast majority of women they go on to lead a full and active life after BC. Smiley Happy

Community Champion

HIyer Becs99,

I saw your post this morning, but for the love of whatever the bcc forum wouldn't let me log on to post. Anyhow, here I am now. I am surprised your GP said that to be honest, but I have heard of others saying similar to patients and I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

There seems to be no code of practice they follow about what they say to patients in that period of referall. Mine said 'Let just do this to be sure, but hoepfully itll be nothing', as it happened it was something. I'm not sure hearing the soothing words reduced my anxiety much though anyway, as I was still scared and going through all the possibilities and fears. So, what I'm saying is, although a GP can't categorically know it IS cancer, as only a biopsy will show that, they would generally be wise to keep things more low key (in my opinion) Ultimately, I think it may not make a difference to how you'd be feeling  though and working yourself up in the wait for the appointment. In many ways I wish I had prepared myself more for the possibility it could be BC, as I spent two weeks trying to grasp onto the thoughts that it 'would be nothing' and so the shock was even greater when it was something that needed treating.

I am hugely hoping that you GP is very wrong, and you are able to find out a benign reason for the breast changes, THEN I would be totally furious with the GP. Hang around here and we will try and help you in the wait for the appointment, as we've all been where you are now at some stage, or are there currently. There is also a helpline number at the top of the forum, ring them if you feel you need advice or to chat with someone about your situation.

Charys x

GP said strong possibility you have breast cancer

Not sure what to say as I’m worried sick at the minute and hoping for some advice. I found a lump in my breast the Wednesday night before Easter.

I rang the docs on the Thursday and due to the bank holiday weekend the earliest they could get me in was the Tuesday. Having not been able to enjoy the long weekend it was on the back of my mind due to a long family history of breast cancer.

When the gp saw me I was given a very thorough examination and his face changed as he examined me, as well as a lump, my nipple is inverted and he said there was a skin change. I have been referred on an urgent referral to a rapid assessment clinic, the words of the gp were “there is a strong possibility you have breast cancer”. 

Until that point I wasn’t too worried but hearing those words have made the wait for the appointment so hard. My partner is very angry that he said that, would he have said that if he wasn’t sure? I keep telling myself that he was only doing his job, but I’m now just working myself up!