Had a lump for six years

14 REPLIES 14
Jill1998
Community Champion

Re: Had a lump for six years

Brilliant news !!!

Daubmannus

Just wanted to let you know that things went fine. Apparently the result is BI-RADS-SONO: 2, which is all in all great news for me. Thank you all for the encouragement and support. Hope you are doing well.

Daubmannus

Yeah, or get a diagnosis of terminal cancer, lol.

It all feels so bizarre.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Sorry it didn’t go as well as you hoped but you’ve done the right thing getting it checked . Hopefully a mammogram / ultrasound will re-assure you and you can stop having this hanging over you x 

Daubmannus

The GP seemed shocked I didn't go for such a long time, felt my breast very briefly and said she can't say what it could be, immediately gave me a referral for mammography (I thought she'd give me an ultrasound first since I'm 22). Overall, it all went much worse than I expected.

Cumbrian Lady

No need to feel embarrassed and no one will berate you (if you want embarrassment then I am your woman) I went for my first MRI scan and they handed me two cod liver oil capsules, I went to put them into my mouth, luckily one of the nurses caught me in time. 'NO' don't eat them she said, you tape them to your nipples so the scan has a point of centre for accuracy😁

Big Soggy Hugs (it's pouring down here)

Poppy xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Don’t be embarrassed you will not be the only person they’ve seen who has had a worry for a long time and put off seeking advice cos they are scared .I had pains in my legs for months - convinced myself it was metastatic cancer having had breast cancer already so didn’t go to GP as I couldn’t face dealing with it and worried about the future etc but turned out it was a bone condition and not cancer but had spent months thinking the worst .

delly

Hi @Daubmannus 

You've had some brill and sensible support from Cumbrian Lady and Jill. Am sooo hoping all goes WELL for you at your appointment. I too am keen to know how you go on, so yeh, please do let us know.  xXx

Daubmannus

Thank you for the reply and the encouragement.

From what I've read it looks like a lot of metastatic breast cancers (such as the liver or even the lung one) oftentimes don't have any concrete symptoms. I don't really have an understanding of what someone in my situation would feel if it is indeed cancer (I'm assuming it would be metastatic).

Daubmannus

Thank you for being so kind about it. It looks like I'll go to my GP on Monday with my sister and will mention the lump then, and I suppose get a referral for an ultrasound, etc. Hopefully they won't berate me too much for not having done anything about it for six years, lol (it really is quite embarrassing).

Jill1998
Community Champion

Welcome to the forum !!

Great advice from Cumbrian lady and well done for plucking up the courage to post !!
Firstly breast cancer is very rare in very young women so the chance of having it first develop at 16 is very small , if your lump has not changed significantly or led to other symptoms in 6 years again it seems unlikely to be something sinister - most breast lumps are NOT cancer . 
However please go and get this checked so you can stop worrying - 6 years is too long to have this anxiety hanging over you .
please let us know how you get on . Jill x 

Cumbrian Lady

You can do it - you have made the first move by coming on here and talking about it.
Before I was diagnosed I could not even watch/listen/read anything concerning cancer I did anything to not have to take it all on board, that changed (have no idea why) once I went to the docs and asked for help. Maybe I was fed up with hiding away from it all - no idea really.
The first step is always the hardest - it could well be nothing then you can let out a large sigh and get back on with your life.
We all have our worries they are only natural the doctors will fully understand, all the people nurses etc were all so incredibly supportive they have seen it all before so do not get upset on that level.

Maybe you have someone who could come with you, I know they are not allowed in because of Covid rules, but it might help knowing someone is there for you, afterwards you could go and have a coffee.

Yes I am doing well, thank you shopping on Etsy for some crafting items plus eating some toast.😀

Keep positive lots of hugs
Poppy xx

Daubmannus

Thank you for your kind response.

I guess I just feel that at this point if it is cancer, it's most definitely a death sentence, in which case I'd much rather not know (although I kind of wouldn't like to know if it's cancer anyway). But all in all you are right, and I do need to check it out.

I hope you're doing okay yourself.

My best wishes to you as well,

Milena

Cumbrian Lady

I cannot answer your question with any certainty but I think after 6 years you would have known by now.
All I can say is, surely for your own peace of mind a visit to your GP would end all your stress and worrying.

Believe me, I DO understand how you feel, I suffer from Borderline personality disorder which is not easy, it has taken me a long time to get trust in people and allow myself to open up and go places alone.
When I found my lump, I totally surprised myself in so much as I went to the Docs the rest is history.

Tormenting yourself will do you no good you deserve to know and get back to being happy again - believe me, knowing one way or the other is/was the best step I ever took.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Poppy xx

Daubmannus

Had a lump for six years

Greetings.

I found a lump in my right breast six years ago when I was 16. (I'm now 22.) I never went to the doctor because I suffer from immense health anxiety and always felt like I'd rather die without having known I had cancer than face having cancer.

I read that before a lump can be felt, the cancer has potentially already been growing for years (and that it generally advances quite slowly), but given that I had a lump that can be physically felt for 6 years, how likely is it that it is cancer since I haven't had any other symptoms?

Thank you in advance.