67976members
357925posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lump in lat dorsi reconstruction 10 years later. Is cancer possible in a reconstruction?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Lump in lat dorsi reconstruction 10 years later. Is cancer possible in a reconstruction?

Thank you xx

Highlighted

Re: Lump in lat dorsi reconstruction 10 years later. Is cancer possible in a reconstruction?

Really sorry you've had bad news, but it sounds like the b... has been caught early. I've not been on here for a couple of days, or would have replied sooner. Its good your armpit looks clear, fingers crossed for the scans. I've had radiotherapy and it wasn't too hard. Wishing you all the very best Mo xxx

Highlighted

Hi Bluebelltime, 

Unfortunately I have had bad news 😞. The harmless looking fatty lump is a tiny cancer. It’s the same type I had before 10 years ago. Had ultrasound on armpit tonight and that looked ok but I have to have MRI scan and CT scan at weekend. Seeing consultant again next weds and will probably have lumpectomy Friday 7th. He thinks likely there won’t be anything else there but need the scans to check. Depending on results and what he removes in surgery I might need radiotherapy and most likely some more hormone treatment 😞. Feeling a bit shocked tbh, as I really thought it would be nothing Xx

Highlighted

Good to hear you are getting checked out. I've had quite a few ultrasounds and in my experience the doctors doing it know what they are looking at and have always been right, but its good your consultant is being careful. As my lovely husband always says "Let's not worry until we are told there is something to worry about". Easier said than done, but a good attitude to aim for! Let us know how you get on. xx 

Highlighted

I had an appointment with my consultant today. He sent me for ultrasound of the lump in my reconstruction. The radiographer said it was a fatty lump and nothing to worry about, but my consultant said it is unusual to get a fatty lump so many years post surgery and he would like to be sure what it is, so he did a biopsy and I have an appointment to go back next week. I’m not unduly worried, but obviously not totally relaxed about it either! I’ll post back with the results. 

Highlighted

thanks Bluebelltime x

Highlighted

Sorry you have this problem. I had a skin sparing mastectomy and an implant recon 5 years ago. I was told there is a tiny but possible chance of getting cancer again in the remaining tissue, so to keep checking myself, especially along the scar line, and to get any concerns checked out. I felt lump about 18 months later, had an ultrasound and it turned out to be scar tissue around an internal stitch. They were keen to make sure and no one made me feel stupid. I'm sure it will be same for you. Good luck x  

Highlighted

Lump in lat dorsi reconstruction 10 years later. Is cancer possible in a reconstruction?

I had a small cancerous lump removed 10 years ago and due to not getting clear margins and only having small breasts, then opted for a mastectomy and a skin sparing lat dorsi reconstruction. Luckily the cancer had not spread and did not have to have any chemo or radiotherapy, just 5 years of Tamoxifen. Have had lumps in other side, but all have been benign cysts. About a week ago I noticed a small hard lump in my reconstructed breast, near the surface and near the scar from my original surgery. I had never even thought about the possibility of any recurrence in the reconstruction, is it possible? I am hesitating about getting it checked as feel like it will probably just be a cysts or something, but do you think I should go and get it checked? Don't want to seem stupid when it is in the side where all was taken away.