cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to forum... found lump

12 REPLIES 12
jessicas

Re: New to forum... found lump

@Evie-S  Thank you so much, really your support and kindness has helped me through this time more than I can even say. I’ll be back with updates as soon as I can. 
Sending positive vibes and thoughts out into the universe! 

xx J 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@jessicas - all the best to you for tomorrow. If you feel like it, please do come back and let us know how you get on. Sending hugs, Evie xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Jessica - although I’m so sorry you are having a wobble, I am very glad you reached out again. You are naturally very nervous about what will happen on Monday and your mind has gone into overdrive - that’s exactly what happens to me too when it’s my mammogram time.

I think you should read through your previous message, the one sent late last night - it sounds as though you are giving yourself some wise advice, especially the bit where you tell yourself that this will pass and “I will be ok”. Sometimes we can be much harder on ourselves than we ever would be to friends. We beat ourselves up for worrying, for panicking - but your message sounds as if you are being kind and gentle to yourself, as if you were advising your best friend.

When you are chatting with your family and your friend this weekend that will help distract you from thinking about Monday, so do try to keep yourself occupied. And🤦‍♀️ to your confession about googling!! Most of us are tempted to google, even though we know it’s best not to, as we want to find reassurances. I get that.

You are right that periods and PMS can cause temporary changes to breasts, so that could explain any changes you have noticed. And the fact that you are suddenly very body aware - this change may happen every month but you haven’t noticed before. I’m not a doctor so I don’t like to try to guess what the doctors will say, but I think it would be extremely unlikely that something “bad” would cause both nipples to change in exactly the same way at the same time and overnight. 

You can do this - when I was having treatment a close friend told me to imagine that all my close friends/family were standing with me supporting me. I felt the image gave me strength. You really are not alone - you have your Mum right by your side, and you have everyone on here rooting for you. 

I’m here to chat any time, I’ll look out for any replies, but please feel free to tag me (using the @) if you think I might have missed a message. Hugs, Evie xx

jessicas

Really trying not to panic, but it seems like literally overnight both of my nipples have turned the slightest bit inward and I've not had this happen before. I really don't know what to think, there's so many factors involved. My mind is making up so many scenarios, my period is due next week so I know that can affect your breasts in different ways... 

Are there benign conditions associated with a small lump and slightly inverted nipples or is this for sure a bad sign? My chest feels so tight and I'm just so much more anxious now, ugh. Once again not sure how I'm going to get through until the ultrasound and beyond because I'm just too nervous.

jessicas

@Evie-S 

Yes my ultrasound is this upcoming Monday. I’m definitely already dreading trying to make it through the weekend, but I have plans to just be with my family and maybe even see one friend (safely, of course). Like you said I’m just going to try to remind myself to take it one step at a time and that one way or another, good or bad, this will pass. I will be okay. 
And in regards to just being more aware of my body and breasts now I completely agree with what you said. There have been very brief moments throughout the day when I can fully take my mind off of it and don’t feel anything at all and even forget about it, but the more I get nervous and look stuff up (I know, I know!!! I have to stop) it comes back. It’s just such a bizarre and strange and emotional situation. Thanks for helping me keep my spirits up. 

Xx Jessica 

jessicas

@alex88 

Oh my goodness, I’m sending you so many hugs and so much support. My sister is 17 years old and I can’t even imagine what it must be like to find something that young. I’m so sorry to hear about your parents, I’m keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers <3. 
I’m so glad to have found this community where we can just speak with each other freely and be honest about how we feel, it’s really helped me so much in the very short time I’ve been on it. 
Please feel free to keep me updated on your situation if you’d like, I’ll always happily listen. I’m putting it out into the universe that we will both be okay and get through this. 

x Jessica 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Jessica - thank you for your kind words ❤️ and for coming back on with an update.

Although it does mean waiting for more tests, try to see it as a good thing that the GP wants to check you thoroughly. So the ultrasound is this coming Monday? It will probably feel a long time away - so try to take it one day at a time, and even one hour at a time if you have a wobble. We are all here any time you need, as are the nurses at the end of the phone.

My guess is that you are suddenly now very aware of all and any sensations in your breasts, since finding the lump. Before that you probably didn’t really notice your breasts very much or pay them too much attention while you got on with your day. If you focus on any other part of your body you may well notice tingling or other feelings as you concentrate on that part. That’s just my guess from a distance, and from my own experiences of worrying about all kinds of aches and pains - but I don’t mean in any way to say that you are imagining it. I am also a huge worrier so I really do understand how you feel - I might be able to suggest ideas to you, but I’m not so good at taking my advice when it comes round to check up time again.

Do keep in touch. Sending big hugs, and hope you can get some good sleep tonight. Try some deep breathing exercises to relax you. Evie xx

alex88

Hi Jessica,

I hope you are continuing to try your best in staying positive. I’m on a similar boat as you as I’ve just found out an hour ago that I have a 4cm cyst in my left breast and I’m 17 years-old. I’m really anxious too because it’s rare to have these lumps at such a young age but I think we’ll do well together! My parents were both diagnosed with cancer (colon and breast) and my dad passed away 2 years ago from it. If you don’t have cancer genetics, there’s a less chance that it will be a dangerous cyst. I’ve been trying to keep my mind off of it for a while and I’ve tried doing other activities such as walking outside (making sure you’re safely social distancing) and spending time with my family. I recommend you try to do your hobbies, walk or meditate to help ease your anxiety but everyone copes differently :). If you need anyone to talk to, I’ll be here with you. 

V

jessicas

Thank you so much for your kind words ❤️ I really appreciate it more than you know!

So my GP said the lump is about 2cm and would guess that it’s a cyst, but obviously can’t be too sure until there is more imaging so I’m going to need an ultrasound. I was able to get an appointment on Monday, but now I fear that this anxiety is going to be with me for a long period of time until we know what it is. Also I can’t really tell if my nipples are itching or something now and I don’t know if this is just fear manifesting from my head or it’s actually happening because it’s not consistent. I just have a bad feeling in my stomach 😞 But I’m trying to put positive affirmations out there because I know it will come back to me, it has to. 

Thanks again, J xx 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@jessicas - I don’t know if you will see this before your appointment, but I just want you to know that I’m right there virtually with you. You can do this.

You are not being dramatic at all. You are scared and I and everyone else on here can relate to that feeling - so please don’t apologise. This forum is the best place to just be able to offload and say exactly what you are thinking. Everyone just gets what you are saying immediately without any explanation needed.

I’ll leave you with my favourite Winnie the Pooh saying “Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you feel and smarter than you think”. If you feel like it please do come back and let me know how you get on with the GP - but no pressure if you don’t want to. Depending on what he/she says we can then discuss how to get you through the next few days, but let’s see what they tell you. Evie xx

jessicas

@Evie-S Thank you so much for reaching out and sending advice and tips. Truly your message made my day. Also I’m very happy for your daughter and that she’s okay. My sister is the same age. 

I was able to actually get an appointment this morning today, it’s in about 40 minutes actually. Truly I feel like I have a pit in my stomach and my head hurts so much because I broke down for the first time last night just sobbing. I’m just trying to remind myself that every person is different and it doesn’t have to just be cancer. 

I know it’s so silly when I don’t have any answers yet at all, but I don’t know what to think. I’m only 21 and am in college. How am I supposed to get through the next day and few days? I think I will forever be changed after finding out, good or bad. Anyway I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be so dramatic. I’ve never ever faced something like this before. I’ll keep in touch. 

xx Jessica 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@jessicas - first of all welcome to this lovely forum, I’m really glad you found it and have reached out to chat. Secondly, you should congratulate yourself on being so breast and body aware, and taking steps to check out any changes and not hiding from them.

As you already know, breast cancer is very rare in your age group, but you also have to consider that there are many harmless reasons for changes - the most common probably are cysts and “fibroadenoma”. Here is a link to Breast Cancer Now’s page - https://breastcancernow.org/information-support/have-i-got-breast-cancer/benign-breast-conditions/fi...

I wanted to send you something to look at on this charity’s website to try to stop you from googling in general and scaring yourself (we’ve all done it, me included!). Dr Google really doesn’t know us and our specific symptoms. I’m not medical so I am not trying to guess or diagnose you. If you would like to speak to one of the nurses on here before your GP appointment do give them a call, their number is at the top of this page - 08088006000. They are lovely and will be happy to chat things through with you.

This link also explains what happens if your GP refers you to the breast clinic. Please don’t be alarmed if you are referred, GPs usually do refer lumps unless they are very certain from an examination that the lump is harmless. Also referrals are supposed to be within 2 weeks, so again don’t be alarmed if you get an appointment quickly - it doesn’t mean that it is bad news. My daughter is your age and she had 2 referrals to the breast clinic when she was about 17 and 18, thankfully both were harmless.

Of course you will worry, the not knowing and waiting is hard and feels endless. Do talk to your Mum about your worries if you can, it’s really helpful to have someone to confide in. But equally do come on here any time, I mean any time, to chat to me or others if you are feeling anxious while you wait. You will never be judged.

There are various ways people try to deal with anxiety. You could try mindfulness, trying to keep yourself in the present moment and not letting your mind race ahead. You could keep yourself occupied with whatever you like doing best - and treating yourself with what makes you happy. One idea I was given was to try to lock the worry in a box and only let it out during a specific “worry time” in the day, such as 3 - 3.30pm. It’s not easy but is a way of you taking back control of your thoughts and not letting the worry take over. Another book I have advises that “fears are NOT facts” and as another CC on here @Shi always says “you don’t have BC until someone diagnoses you”.

Please keep in touch, let us know how you get on and do come back and chat more/ask questions if any of us can help. Sending you hugs and strength. Evie xx

jessicas

New to forum... found lump

Hi everyone, 

I recently just discovered a small, firm lump in my right breast. I'm 21. I know that breast cancer is very rare for people my age, but I am also aware that it can happen so I'm going to see my GP on Monday (although I wish it was sooner). There's no pain or tenderness and it even moves around when I'm feeling it with the pads of my fingers. Anyone experience this?

I have not told anyone except for my mom because I don't know exactly what this is, but I just really needed to get this off my chest because honestly I am quite nervous. I'm trying not to worry unless there is something to worry about, but I have never dealt with anything like this at all before, I really don't know what to do with myself because I can slowly feel myself becoming more anxious. Anyway, thanks for reading. xx