New to forum... found lump

Hi everyone, 

I recently just discovered a small, firm lump in my right breast. I’m 21. I know that breast cancer is very rare for people my age, but I am also aware that it can happen so I’m going to see my GP on Monday (although I wish it was sooner). There’s no pain or tenderness and it even moves around when I’m feeling it with the pads of my fingers. Anyone experience this?

I have not told anyone except for my mom because I don’t know exactly what this is, but I just really needed to get this off my chest because honestly I am quite nervous. I’m trying not to worry unless there is something to worry about, but I have never dealt with anything like this at all before, I really don’t know what to do with myself because I can slowly feel myself becoming more anxious. Anyway, thanks for reading. xx

@jessicas  - first of all welcome to this lovely forum, I’m really glad you found it and have reached out to chat. Secondly, you should congratulate yourself on being so breast and body aware, and taking steps to check out any changes and not hiding from them.

As you already know, breast cancer is very rare in your age group, but you also have to consider that there are many harmless reasons for changes - the most common probably are cysts and “fibroadenoma”. Here is a link to Breast Cancer Now’s page - breastcancernow.org/information-support/have-i-got-breast-cancer/benign-breast-conditions/fibroadenoma

I wanted to send you something to look at on this charity’s website to try to stop you from googling in general and scaring yourself (we’ve all done it, me included!). Dr Google really doesn’t know us and our specific symptoms. I’m not medical so I am not trying to guess or diagnose you. If you would like to speak to one of the nurses on here before your GP appointment do give them a call, their number is at the top of this page - 08088006000. They are lovely and will be happy to chat things through with you.

This link also explains what happens if your GP refers you to the breast clinic. Please don’t be alarmed if you are referred, GPs usually do refer lumps unless they are very certain from an examination that the lump is harmless. Also referrals are supposed to be within 2 weeks, so again don’t be alarmed if you get an appointment quickly - it doesn’t mean that it is bad news. My daughter is your age and she had 2 referrals to the breast clinic when she was about 17 and 18, thankfully both were harmless.

Of course you will worry, the not knowing and waiting is hard and feels endless. Do talk to your Mum about your worries if you can, it’s really helpful to have someone to confide in. But equally do come on here any time, I mean any time, to chat to me or others if you are feeling anxious while you wait. You will never be judged.

There are various ways people try to deal with anxiety. You could try mindfulness, trying to keep yourself in the present moment and not letting your mind race ahead. You could keep yourself occupied with whatever you like doing best - and treating yourself with what makes you happy. One idea I was given was to try to lock the worry in a box and only let it out during a specific “worry time” in the day, such as 3 - 3.30pm. It’s not easy but is a way of you taking back control of your thoughts and not letting the worry take over. Another book I have advises that “fears are NOT facts” and as another CC on here @Shi  always says “you don’t have BC until someone diagnoses you”.

Please keep in touch, let us know how you get on and do come back and chat more/ask questions if any of us can help. Sending you hugs and strength. Evie xx