Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recalled After Mammogram - Absolutely Petrified

57 REPLIES 57
Highlighted

Re: Recalled After Mammogram - Absolutely Petrified

Hi QoC

Thank you for your post on here - I have found it really helpful.  I had my first mammo scan less than 2 weeks ago and have already received a recall letter for an appointment in 3 days time.  Think I'm still in shock from the letter and just feeling numb with every scenario going through my head.  Haven't talked to anyone about it yet as husband abroad working until the end of next week which is also after my second appointment!!  Your post has really helped me think things through properly and I hope I am worrying about nothing and it will all just be routine.  It's definitely a case of the "not knowing" which is the worst thing to have to endure.

Thanks again for your post.

MM

Highlighted
Community Champion

Audrey

Sorry I have not replied before but I have been away from here due to family illness. How did you get on with your mammo recall, I sincerely hope everything was OK xx

Highlighted

It is approx. 30 miles away and very busy road/dual carriage ways where as I only had to travel 5 miles to my local supermarket car park before.I take 160mg propranolol every day and that's without leaving the house. Hate moaning like this , most people might not understand my condition  and I would totally agree with them.  So sorry to everyone for my concerns about trying to get to my appt.

Highlighted
Community Champion

I understand it seems impossible and overwhelming .You got to the mammogram that's a big achievement.How far do you need to travel to the appointment ? I had big issues with hospitals and appointments but have had such bad health over the last 18 months I had no choice but to cope with it and it did get easier .I had to take Valium to cops with the scans / tests and needed a lot of support .See what they can suggest at the hospital . if you deal with this it could help you move forward a bit ?

Highlighted

Thankyou so much for replying. When I went for the mammogram on Tuesday it was the hardest thing I have done . The last time I left the house was over a year ago and I have been like this for more than 12 yrs. I last saw a CPN about 7 yrs ago and have in the past (for years) had all the therapy there is. My husband is so understanding and will phone for me on Monday but I can't travel the distance they want me to attend this next appointment and I am so scared that there will be no alternative.

Highlighted

Thank  you so much, I'm afraid I'm in tears at  the moment, but can't thank you enough for replying xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi I have suffered from agoraphobia and severe anxiety - hospital appointments were top of my list of things I found hard to do .I can totally sympathise .They refer you to the breast clinic where all the investigations needed can be done in the one location .Its definitely worth speaking to them to see what they can do to make things more manageable for you - do have a therapist /CPN you work with who could help with strageies to manage this ? You need to go to this appointment but if you need a bit of time to work out how to get there a couple of weeks will not make a dramatic difference to the outcome .

Highlighted

Dear Lynnl,

I know how you feel about being recalled the same thing happened to me following my first mammogram in January and the letters always come on a weekend when there is no one to contact.  I was beside my self too waiting for Monday to arrive.  I am sending a hug and positive wishes to you

Manda

Highlighted

I've been recalled after having the mammogram only 4 days ago but I suffer from severe agoraphobia and socio phobia and can't travel the distance required for the new appointment , I am so scared , only received the letter today , my husband/carer is going to phone on Monday but I am beside myself. Sorry.

Highlighted

Sorry to interrupt, but Helena THANK YOU for the big girls' pants.  Love them!

In January 2012 my first routine mammogram revealed a 35mm lesion (removed, rads, Tamoxifen and currently Letrozole).  Following my second routine mammogram,  I've been recalled to an appointment on Monday. 

I need to borrow the virtual knickers for a few days, please.

Audrey

Highlighted

Thank you Manda I am very confused as to symptoms both breasts ate tender a little painful at times and sometimes my shoulders hurt I'm reading all sorts of things my apooappointis not until the 21st so I'm at my wit's end ..

Highlighted

Thank you Ann I hope it's nothing to worry about but I'm thinking the worst as I'm unwell already it's come at the wrong time but when is the right time, your very kind I've had mammagrams every 3 years this is the first time I've been recalled so it's a bit of a shock . 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Sandi,

If you've had regular mammos, the worst that will happen is there maybe an early & very treatable DCIS or bc.

I was recalled after my second screening mammo & yes, there was a small bc which was easily treated. Thankfully, the mammo did it's job & I'm so grateful it was picked up when it was, as I nearly didn't go for screening!

Waiting is the worst, but IF there's a problem, then the sooner it's dealt with the better, however, most recalls turn out not to be bc.

ann x

Highlighted

Dear Sandidarcy,

Your emotions will be every where and it doesn't help it being the weekend.  I was exactly the same.

When I went back I had an ultrasound scan and it was found that I had a cyst, which they drained there and then, that is what they had picked up on my mammogram.

Yes here if you need to chat

Best wishes,

Manda

Highlighted

Thank you for replying my emotions are all over .the place at the moment but it really helps to know someone is there to talk to 

Highlighted

Hello Sandidarcy,

I understand what you are going through.

Following my mammogram at the end of January 2019, I was recalled for further tests. I was so worried and anxious to say the least waiting for the appointment and thinking the worst.

If there are any anxieties you may have, I am here to help if I can.

Best wishes,

Manda

Highlighted

Can you help me I've received a letter for a second mammagram and other tests as my first has flagged something up ,I have to say I'm worried sick I've never had a recall before I'm just 60 I have medical conditions that have taken their toll and this has just been like a kick while I'm down I'm fewfeelvery low I'm due to go on holiday next week and when I return I have my second mammagram and also have to start a lot of medication which my doctor says will make me Ill , I said I'm already ill to which she replied I ahoshould underestimate how it will make me feel , I'm really struggling to think straight at the moment..can you help Sandra 

Highlighted

Thank you once again Helena. If I can be of help to anyone I most certainly will. Best wishes, Amanda
Highlighted
Community Champion

Amanda

Oh that is fabulous news I am so very happy for you and thank you for posting the outcome of your appointment as it gives reassurance to other ladies who are in the same position as you in that it does not always turn out to be breast cancer.

I am very glad I was able to be of support to you

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Helena,

I have replied above hope you can see it.

Kindest regards,

Amanda
Highlighted

Helena just to let you know about my recent appointment on Monday following being recalled, it was found that I had a cyst, it was confirmed on ultrasound scan, the Doctor aspirated the fluid and it disappeared.
Thank you so much for your kind words in my time of need. From Thursday when I got the recall letter to Monday the appointment has been horrendous waiting. Thankfully it was only a cyst.

Kindest regards,

Amanda
Highlighted
Community Champion

Amanda

Was thinking about you just and wondering how you got on Monday

Helena xx

Highlighted

Oh Helena,

Thank you ever so much for your reply it has comforted me.

I will let you know how I get on its Monday at 9.20 am

Thanks once again,

Amanda x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mandy

It is worrying when you get a recall, however keep in mind that this is your first one so they have nothing to compare it to, so it does not mean that it is anything sinister, they are just making sure, and that is good.  Sometimes it can be that the quaity of the images were not good so they need to do them again.

Let us know how you get on if you want to.

When we have ladies on here who are worried we let them have a pair of our virtual big pants, they have deep pockets in so that we can all be there holding your hands, and hopefully the image will make you smile.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxxtough pants.jpg

Highlighted

Hi,

I too have been recalled after my first mammogram, may I ask how yours went...I am a dithering wreck at the minute, 3-days I have to wait.....

Kind regards,

Amanda
Highlighted

Hi, I have just come across your message. I too went for my first ever mamogram and I have been recalled, I am absolutely worried sick, I have 3 days to wait.....How did you get on?

Kind regards,

Amanda
Highlighted

There are a lot of people clearly worried sick about being called back for a second mammogram, so I thought I would share my experience, for what it's worth.  

I'd had several mammograms over the years and expected the most recent check to be clear, but it wasn't. I received a letter and had to wait an agonising eight days to be checked, during which every scenario went through my head.  I read about the biopsies that I could possibly expect and that made it even worse. 

When I attended my appointment, the nurses were wonderful.  So efficient and sympathetic to my concerns.  I went through a further, more detailed breast scan (nothing found) and went on to have a manual examination (nothing found). I was told that everything looked really good but was sent to have an ultrasound, just to be sure.  As luck would have it, the consultant found a small lump in one breast on the ultrasound. However she assured me that it didn't look as though it was cancerous: she explained that a number of things can cause benign lumps.  Nevertheless, I had to have a biopsy.  

I'm not great with needles and had been dreading the prospect, but I'm not exaggerrating when I say I barely felt a thing.  It was all over in minutes and even afterwards, when the local anaesthetic had worn off, it twinged very little: maybe once or twice.  Not enough to stop me shopping!

I still have to wait for the results - it's very likely (as they said) that it's nothing to worry about, but if it is something nasty I would really rather know about it than leave it to develop into something worse.  I feel a lot calmer about the whole thing now, and if you have been called for a second screening, I hope you are just a little reassured by my experience.

Highlighted

Hi amber, dont be alarmed you got one days notice, my mammo was recalled quick, and i paniced, like the other ladies said, there are many reasons we get recalled, bad film, not clear image, slight change from previous mammo, the good thing is your being checked out, and hopefully nothing sinister is found, good luck and let us know how you get on x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Amber ,welcome to the forum .Please be assured that the vast majority of recalls turn out to be nothing to worry about - think it is about 80% .Hope you get good news - let us know how you get on .Good luck .Jill.
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Amber,

Sorry to hear about your mum. 

Although it’s not the news you wanted, it’s good the mammo has done its job in picking up something that needs a closer look & that they have got you in so promptly - although don’t read anything into it, it’s quite usual for appointments to be prompt. 

Wishing you the very best. 

ann x

Highlighted

I am 49, and have had breast cancer in the family, my cousin died very young back in the early 1980’s.

I went for a routine mammogram and must confess didn’t really worry and presumed I would get the letter of results with the all clear. 

Today not even 2 weeks after my mammogram I have been called back the day after tomorrow for a ‘call back appointment’ giving 1 days notice!

Apprehensive, yep!

Too add to the worry my mum passed away with lung cancer in July, so still feeling raw.

Thinking the worse.

Highlighted

Thank you I will keep you informed once I know nothing.

x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Tarcy,
Can't really tell you very much about the images, only that they will have to be read & reported. Having been through this, it really is not possible to know what you're looking at, so it comes down to waiting for the results.
It really is best to avoid google as it only creates a load of unnecessary anxiety.
It is the pits waiting & hopefully all will be well, but even if it is bc, treatment is very good now, with the best outcomes.
let us know how you get on
ann x
Highlighted

Hi

i went for a mammogram today and when I went in I was not worried but I am now. The lady doing the mammogram was pulling faces tracing something on the screen and then said she needed to speak to someone regarding the last scan. She left the room then came back and scanned my boob again as well as pulling in as much of the underarm muscle as possible.

There is a history of breast cancer in the family and I had a benign lump removed from the same boob 2 years ago.

when she finished she said they would be in touch within 2 weeks I glanced at the screen and saw a white mass and not wanting to get carried away with googling every mammogram image was hoping someone could let me know what the issues could or could not be.

Thank you

Tracy

X

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Hevholcam,
I understand that it is routine that the previous mammos are looked at for comparison, which is why, I understand that recalls are more common after a first mammo because there is nothing to compare it with. The mammo probably cant be reported until the earlier mammos are seen, so its probably just routine reporting.
If you are worried, it might be an idea to post in 'ask our nurses' section, to clarify the process.
ann x
Highlighted

Hi im 45 I recently had my 1st screening mammogram (due to family history) done at a different hospital on the 17th March,i have previously had 2 diagnostic mammograms, plus ultrasound when I was 43 and 41 and subsequently got my results that day. I rang the hospital today to chase up my results as everyday i feel sick with worry and im going on holiday soon. The receptionist told me the delay is because they have been chasing the previous hospital where I had my last mammogram, she then looked at her screen and the previous mammograms has now been sent. I'm starting to panic even more now because they want my last results....is this normal? I keep thinking they have seen something and see if it was on my last mammogram. It really is making me feel ill. I wont enjoy my holiday until I know so i dont think i will get my results back in the usual 2 weeks as stated. Has anyone else had this problem. Thank you
Highlighted

Highlighted

Hi just want to re-enforce what others said, could be lots of reasons, but did want to say, we really do have top class breast cancer services in the NHS that actually the private sector can't match.  

It it is such a worry though when you get a letter like that, do let us know the outcome what ever it is as it helps other see outcomes what ever that.

all the best.  Xx

Highlighted

Hi Gerri

if it was your very first mammogram it is more likely that you will be recalled - apparently 1 in 4 people are, as they do not have anything to compare it to, so do not know what is normal for you. I was one of those 1 in 4 in 2003, recalled after my first routine mammo, and after a biopsy it was found that i had benign calcification and as far as i know i still do have it - not a problem. The early cancer that was diagnosed in November 2016 was completely unconnected to these calcifications, so try not to worry too much as it may be a benign thing they have noticed. and if it is cancer it will have been spotted and can be treated. We are so lucky in this country to have good diagnostics and treatment and the prospect of long healthy lives ahead of us. Let us know how you get on and there is plenty of support on here if you need it. xxx

Highlighted

I went for my first mammogram last week after getting a few letters. At the mammogram the lady had to take a few x rays as one was not v clear.  I assumed all would be fine as no history in the family and I have no outward symptons that I can feel.  So imagine my shock when I got the letter today asking me to go for further tests this Thursday.  Thankfully only 1 day to wait.  Going to book a days holiday as do not want to discuss at work until I know for sure.  

Very worried as you can imagine but it it is bad then at least it is caught and thankfully we have private health care at work so that is good.  Plus many years ago I took out cancer insurance hoping I wont need to use it.

I know that many women are recalled but I really thought I would get the letter saying everything is fine.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hiyer Deliadi,

I don't think Katy has returned to post on the forum since that post, so I'm not sure if she is reading or not, but wanted to say that we are happy to listen to your concerns. Was yours a routine mammogram? 

Highlighted

How did it go? Had my recall letter today after first mammogram so shocked

Highlighted

I had my first routine mammogram and was recalled last week. I had another mammogram and when I went for an ultrasound the doctor confirmed that a very small lump had been found in my right breast. Although oh examination she physically couldn't feel it. She said it's not even a centimetre in size and if cancerous I will have day surgery to perform a lumpectomy. She also done an ultra sound of lymph nodes which was all clear. I saw my 2nd mammogram on the screen and could see a bright white circle very clearly. I'm absolutely sick with worry but so nice to come on here and chat with ladies going through the same thing x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Sharona,it really shakes you up doesnt it!Try and remember that the vast majority of women recalled have nothing sinister going on at all and this can often be be established on the day of your appointment by a further mammogram and ultrasound .If it is cancer and Im assuming you currently have no other sypmtoms it is very likely to have been caught early and therefore very treatable .Try and enjoy your holiday and there is a good chance that your appointment will be good news.Jill.

Highlighted

I'm 48 and was chosen to have a mammogram on 16.02.16. Yesterday I received a  letter for a further investigation, appointment on the 02.03.16. Shock isn't in it, I really thought it would say ALL CLEAR. Today I've seen women with head scarves, bible quotations and took a life insurance policy out!!! also crossing my mind at the same time, well if my numbers up, my numbers up, and I aint even had further tests yet!

Going away to Spain tomorrow so out of my mind until next week fingers crossed all goes well. 

Highlighted

Hi I was called for my first mammogram on 22 December I'm 47 and they randomly picked me out. I've been recalled. I am beside myself with worry. I have no symptoms but having read up on it that doesn't mean anything. Anyone else had this experience ?
Highlighted

Hi Janice

How did you get on?

Sal
xx
Highlighted

Fantastic news!

I go for the results of my Hadfields procedure tomorrow and I am terrified. Your post has given me hope that I could possibly be ok too, so thank you.

Janice x
Highlighted

Thank you Katytc and Cheryl - I"ll keep reading to see how you get on too xxx

Sal
xxx
Highlighted

Sally I am so pleased or you. Enjoy your Christmas.Xxxxxx