Should I be worried?

I should start off by saying I’m 20 years old, and no one in my family has had breast cancer before that I know of. 

For the past week, my boobs have felt extremely heavy, tight, and sore. My right one hurts especially near the nipple area. I blamed this pain on my period coming up in about ten days, but now I’m not so sure. Yesterday, I noticed a red mark on the side of my right boob. I would say it’s about 3 or 4 inches from my nipple. I was confused, and thought that maybe it was a small stretch mark. However, I have just noticed that there is now a scab on the red mark. The scab was not there yesterday. I have felt all over my boob, and I do not feel any lumps. 

I showed my mom, and she says that something must have scratched me. What should I do? Does this seem like something I should be worried about? How long should I monitor the mark before going to the doctor? 

Hi animallover0919 - welcome to the forum, I’m really glad you found us all and I hope we can help you.

As you and your Mum are already aware, there can be all kinds of explanations for breast changes, most are harmless. But I think it is always a good idea to check out any changes as early as possible. GPs will then refer you to the breast clinic if they are at all concerned - so don’t be alarmed if they do, it is very usual to do that. My daughter found some weird changes to her breasts when she was about 15-17 and on 2 occasions the GP referred her to the breast clinic, thankfully both times nothing suspicious.

At the moment it seems most GPs are doing a phone call first, so my advice would be to call your GP tomorrow and get a phone appointment. He/she may be able to reassure you over the phone and stop the worries, or they may want to see you. In the meantime, try to stay away from Dr Google who really doesn’t know your symptoms and remember that fears are not facts. 

May I say that it is brilliant that you are so breast aware, it shows that the message is reaching younger people. I am quite sure I wasn’t so vigilant at your age.

My very best wishes to you, please feel free to keep chatting/ask any questions and if you feel like it do please let us know how you get on. We are here to listen and hold your hand. Evie xx