cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mum referred to surgeon after cellulitis and scans

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Mum referred to surgeon after cellulitis and scans

Hi Scubagirl, I am from the November starters so have finished all of my active treateatment surgery, chemo, second surgery radiotherapy the lasst session being June. In August my breast started to get itchy underneath which eventually spread up and over the breast. It also became very swollen to the point I had protruding stretch marks underneath, it was bright red and verry hot but I had no temp and did not feel il or feverish. GP at local walk in centre diagnosed cellulitis and gave me antibiotics and advised A&E the following morning if no better which I did which resulted in 4 days IV antibiotics and 6 day oral. I was convinced it was the backlash of radiotherapy as the redness stopped in a straight line however I saw my oncologist 2 weeks later and he said no as it had been over 3 months, at this point my breast was still warm to touch and looked more tanned than red.

Then this week I saw a dermatologist over something else and asked him to take a look  he said it is definately as a result of radiotherapy  and damaged tissue he gave me a mild steroid cream for the itch which the others refused to do and even showed me photo on line of a similar case where the colouring stopped in a straight line. I was relieved to finally have the reason for this he said it will settle down eventually but it is still itchy but am collecting the steroid cream today so fingers crossed. Hope your Mum has now been helped but just wanted to let you know my story, all of these doctors have their own speciallity so are not always knowledgable in different areas. Sue xx

Highlighted

Hi Scubagirl, I hope things are getting better with your mum. Sorry you have been worried and didn't get a reply.

What did the surgeon say?

x x

Highlighted

Mum is seeing the surgeon on Thursday, however today the breast has swollen a huge amount and appears red and sore, previously this has been diagnosed as cellulitis. Please help with advice as getting increasingly worried 

Highlighted

Thanks, we are hoping that it's just to drain the remaining fluid off the breast from the lymphadema. It's been two days since they phoned to cancel her routine appointment and she still hasn't heard anything from the surgery team so it doesn't seem too urgent xx

Highlighted

Hi Scuba, sorry about your mums cellulitis. The scans are stressful anyway, without looking for cancer! I think that seeing the surgeons is routine follow up and not something to worry about as she has no signs of cancer. It's a check up to see everything has settled down and to give advice.
Best of luck, and sorry I cant help, but I can give support:)
x x
Highlighted

Mum referred to surgeon after cellulitis and scans

hi my mum had stage 3 breast cancer and underwent chemotherapy, lumpectomy and radiotherapy and hormone therapy. She has lymphadenopathy on the breast and following a routine check up she found she had cellulitis. After antibiotic treatment that seemed to correct the symptoms she went for an mammogram and ultrasound now although the scans have not shown any signs of the cancer being present the oncologists have referred her to the surgeons but we are unsure why if the scans show no cancer signs. Any help would be appreciated as we are very worried