cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second opinions?

5 REPLIES 5
Link

Re: Second opinions?

Gilly thanks for your thoughtful response.
Link

Thank you for your reply.
Butterfly318

Evening Link

I know a few weeks have passed so maybe your SIL has asked for the second opinion.  When you say you are looking for consistant information.  You are likely to get two slightly differing opinions from two different people, human nature.  I am 2.1/2 years from original diagnosis have had Chemo,  Rads,  surgery x 5 (which includes a poor reconstruction which will need to redone) in the last 2.1/2 years now and Tamoxifen for next 10years.   I was offered information originally about the grade size position and status ER +  PR+ HER2 neg and then i had to make the decision on treatment.  I wish somebody had said  'this is what we recommend'...... Your SIL may be better to talk to the Consultant to find out why he / she is so specific in their recommendation. .

Wishing you both all the best, hope she is on her way with a treatment plan. Take Care  Gilly x     

skinnyminx

Assuming your sister-in-law is being treated under the NHS in UK?  If so, the answer is 'yes' she can expect to have arrangements made for a second opinion at another hopsital should she ask for it.  I know several people who have done this in England.

Janet_BCC

Hi Link

Welcome to the BCC forum.

Your question might be something our Helpline could help with.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Link

Second opinions?

Hello

My sister-in-law has been recently diagnosed with Grade 3 cancer.

The recommended treatment is a strong course of chemo first followed by a full mastectomy due to the postion of the lump. The surgical consultant has advised that reconstruction will be very tricky.

My question is, does she have a right to request a referral to another hospital (of her choice) for a second opinion? I really want to make sure she is getting consistent and good (the best) advice.

Another friend of mine was told a similar thing at the outset and then she paid for a private consultation with a consultant at the Royal Marsden who said they could do a lumpectomy and save her nipple (as long as there were no cancerous cells behind it)...which they did! (She has now been given the all clear after a tough year of surgery and chemo)

Does anyone know if my sister-in-law can ask to be referred elsewhere for a second opinion? She does not have the funds to pay for a private consultation.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks