Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Sue C
Community Champion

Re: AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Good Morning Ladies

How are you all doing? I think a lot of you are starting your second cycle about now, so I hope it goes OK.

You maybe experiencing some hair loss soon so in practical terms, be prepared. But emotionally it is really hard. All I can say is, after awhile, you get used to it. And I'm sure this is not a lot of comfort right now, but as soon as you finish chemo, it does grow back.

Sending you all a hug xx

Sam890

Good luck sib for your second and cathysid for your first. We will have to compare notes later! X
Butterflyflyfree

That's good news you feel better, fingers crossed the meds all work for you - no reason why they shouldn't. Sleep well. Xx

Sib

Hi All, feel better than I did last time. Meds all adjusted. Fingers crossed I get through the night sick free!.
Good luck Ali and Mary Kate plus all other chemo ladies. Xxxx
Sue58

Hope No 2 chemo goes well for all our lovely August ladies, today, tomorrow and at the weekend.. hope everyone is Ok ? Love and hugs xx
Butterflyflyfree

Good luck for number 2 Sib! Xx

ClaireH81

Good luck today Sib! X
Ali S

Thanks Mary-Kate. Mine is tomorrow. Hope yours goes well on Saturday xx
Mary-Kate

All the best of luck for your second treatment today, Sib, hope all goes well.  When is your's Ali? I think you were just after Sib?  Good luck for whenever it is... xx

Ali S

Hi Sib. Good luck for today x
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Xena75 - I'm from the May 2017 group and I thought I'd reassure you - before chemo I used to suffer occassionally with heartburn and whilst on chemo I get it more frequently and especially on Docetaxol it "hurts" - I have now got in the routine of taking meds given to me by the onc for the first three days which definitely help.
Ali S

Hi Xena, I had some heartburn and felt a bit like someone was pressing on my chest. It lasted for a few days but went away, and I had a chest xray while in hospital which didn't find anything. My chemo nurse has told me I can take any medicines I normally do and I have tablets for heartburn and allergies which she said are fine to take. It's worth checking with your own nurse though xx
Sib

Xenia, I would definitely phone to check . Sending a hug. Xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Xena

Give the nurses a call on the chemo ward and see what they suggest. I do remember having an upset tum quite a lot, so I had to take Diarelyte ( not sure if I've spelt that right!) and keep up fluid intake. Not sure about heartburn though, so ask the experts. Let us know how you get on xx

Xena75

Hi sueC, I haven't had anything to take as I had IV steroids as was all started in a hurry, I have some for next time though. So far I've not needed to take an anti sickness tablet, fingers crossed it stays that way.

i woke in the night feeling like I'd been kicked in the chest by a horse though, and again as I woke this morning, is this heartburn? I feel the need to take deep breaths but it doesn't help. Also as this feeling increased this morning I had to go to the loo, que loose stool, immediate sweats followed by chills and shaky weakness, but that seems to have gone and I'm just left with this heavy uncomfortable feeling in my chest still.

am I ok to take Imodium and heartburn meds if needed? Do I need to ring my onc nurse to check? Feeling unorganised 

Sue C
Community Champion

Morning Ladies

Xena...the worse days are usually 2 to 7 so you are doing really well. In terms of side effects for you at the moment, would be fatigue and sickness. So just take it easy for a few more days.

Have you been taking the steroids?

Also, have you been given the gcsf injections?

Helen....hair loss starts at about week 3 and your scalp will be abit tingly at the moment. Have you got a scarf ready? Especially keep something on your head at night because it can make a mess.

Sending hugs xx

HelenP

Hi ladies!
Day 12 today, I've felt pretty normal since day 7, though have been experiencing some mad hot flushes for about 5 days- I never had this before so I thought I was just hot then realised it was coming and going! During one episode yesterday my temp spike 37.8' then went down to 37.4' within 30 mins.
Ive just got back from a long weekend in our campervan, lots of fresh air, sun and rain. We were a bit worried about going at a time when my immunity was at its lowest but took all precautions about hygiene and avoided large gatherings of people and hubby and kids did all the carrying so we all managed to relax and enjoy the break. Got to strike while the iron's hot and learn to grasp opportunities when you feel ok. My scalp is tingly today, think my hair's on the move!
Soworridl

Xena 75, I hope your just lucky and don't suffer with side effects. But I have read others where their side effects have kicked in after a few days of feeling normal. Maybe when they stop taking their steroids xxx
Xena75

Sorry,I've posted on the chemotherapy board,but no replies yet.I know everyone reacts to their chemo differently,, and we all have differing treatments, but I'm slightly going out of my mind with fear over the side effects I'm to expect from this.
I had my first chemo on Friday, it's Monday now so day 4?
So far I'm feeling ok, couple of minor niggles but nothing like I'd feared but I'm scared because I know it's coming.
I have a type of arthritis of the spine and hips and have been advised the docetaxel with inflame the joints and possibly trigger the AS. (Which in itself is no walk in the park)
Please could someone tell me how the side effects start. Does it just hit you? Does it grow suddenly/slowly into something worse? Am I likely to have sickness now as I haven't so far? Will I have the same side effects each cycle???!!!!!!! Very worried.thank you

Xena75

Sorry,I've posted on thge chemotherapy board,but no replies yet.I know everyone reacts to their chemo differently,, and we all have differing treatments, but I'm slightly going out of my mind with fear over the side effects I'm to expect from this.
I had my first chemo on Friday, it's Monday now so day 4?
So far I'm feeling ok, couple of minor niggles but nothing like I'd feared but I'm scared because I know it's coming.
I have a type of arthritis of the spine and hips and have been advised the docetaxel with inflame the joints and possibly trigger the AS. (Which in itself is no walk in the park)
Please could someone tell me how the side effects start. Does it just hit you? Does it grow suddenly/slowly into something worse? Am I likely to have sickness now as I haven't so far? Will I have the same side effects each cycle???!!!!!!! Very worried.thank you

Butterflyflyfree

Hi Fairy, they don't know my grade as haven't had surgery yet. When I asked they said either 2b or 3a depending on how many nodes were affected. I've got 4 EC planned with an ultrasound after 2. If there's been no response they'll switch me straight to 4 x T with the HER2 drugs alongside. All the treatments seem to be so personal, it's great that they have so many options available to find the right one. 

I think I must have had every type of anti nausea med given to me, as I had said that I had had morning sickness, travel sickness and anaesthetic sickness! They worked a dream and I haven't felt sick once, so do ask for different/more cos there's definitely stuff that works. Xx

fairy

butterfly lookin at ur previous posts ur duagnosis is very similar to mine only mine is grade 3.. however im only havin 6 chemo.. 2 fec then 4 of the t part.. strange how they do things differently xx
Sib

The nausea lasted 5 days for me. I found sipping fizzy water helped a bit. ( I was also very nauseous/sick during pregnancy and have been told there is a link)
My oncology team phoned me today to say that they are adjusting all my anti sickness for my 2nd chemo on Wednesday, and they are confident they will be able to control this for me, so make sure you tell them.
Really hope you feel better soon, sending a hug. Xxx
Butterflyflyfree

That's my thought too Fairy, I'm day 12, not too bad now apart from side effect to the a/b I am on for uti- seem to be taking as many pills now as I was after chemo! 

fairy

i had chemo a week today.. im glad im havin chemo 1st i think b4 surgery, get the worse out of the way first.. i had it a week today so around day 7.. gonna try a trip to the supermarket now see if that helps
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Fairy

Remind me...what day are you on?

Have you been given anti sickness tablets?

There are various tablets you can take which the chemo nurses can give you. Often its a case of trying them and see what works for you. Please give them a call. Or speak to your bcn. They will be able to help.

Let us know how you get on .

Sue xx

Sue58

Fairy..I'm having 3 Fec then 3 T ...1 Fec down..2 to go.!!
was diagnosed end of May. Had 31mm tumor removed by lumpectomy and 7 lymph nodes affected, so had full clearance on 21st June ' I'm grade 2 stage 2 Er + PR + Her negative. oestrogen sensitive . Surgery went well untill I had cellulitus in boob , so this has put me back already by a week and a half...lol ...so now my 2nd chemo has been put back by 3 days because the ward is short staffed..they must all be on their hols..!! Lol..I'm day 11 today and apart from slight upset stomach feel good..no nausea ,that went after the first week so hopefully urs will ease up soon..it horrible isn't it..?? Xx hugs to everyone hope ur all well x
fairy

oh when will this naseau stop.. pls
fairy

ive been takin clariton 1 a day they are supposed to help with the white cell inj aches and pains
Sue58

They are brilliant at what they do..just painful..lol. thanks Sue I'll grin and bare it..xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Sue

As much as you probably don't want the injections, they are brilliant at what they do. I felt really well during the second week and didn't pick up any infections throughout the whole time. And they to do get easier with each cycle. So I think just grin and bare it!!

Xx

Sue58

Sue C. Thats exactly where mine is hitting..back..hips..joints..a bit like sciatic nerve pain.!! On and off..
and was up the side of my head giving me a migraine..but I've felt better today eaten little and often and not had any milk as I felt that was giving my stomach problems..and it's worked my stomach is 'settling'....phew thank god... I will mention it with my oncologist tomorrow..thank you x.
I wonder if I ask for just one injection next chemo they may oblige..lol. xxx
Soworridl

I've been doing the injections. I started day after for 10 days!!! Just finished. Really seams to vary how many people are given! Xxx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

Sounds like many of you are having some difficult days! Let's hope you're all over the worse. I think the only thing is when you do the next cycle, you will know what to expect.

Soworrid...I think it is the steroids that can do that. Let the oncologist know before your next cycle. Or the chemo team.

Sue and Fairy....the gcsf injections seem to vary between hospitals. Unfortunately they are expensive, so I think the cost is an issue. I had 5 which seems to be standard. Others don't get it at all. I found they attacked my joints, particular my back and hips. And one time, I did get a migraine. That was an awful day, so Sue I feel for you.

Sending lots of hugs xx

fairy

yes mine is the 4th sept.. im have 2 fec then 4 lots of the t part wit perjetta and herceptain as its her2 positive plus 37mm grade 3 so they throwing everything at me. plus im only 31 so its standard agressive as in younger women...what is your situation sue,.it will be nice to have someone to go through the same days of chemo wit whether it be good or bad xx
Sue58

Hi Fairy, I had 7 days of injections to take one day after chemo and I think that's after every chemo I'm on FEC-T
Did I read ur next chemo is 4th September..same as mine as my chemo unit is shut in the 1st Sep due to staff shortages, so my second one is now a few days later on the monday.!! X
fairy

i only have the white blood cell inj tge day after chemo, how do some people have it daily? is it a different chemo?
Sue58

Hi August ladies..hope we are all managing..I'm on day 10 today..had the day from hell yesterday, but Friday I felt great..this certainly is a rollercoaster ride... I woke up Saturday with upset stomach ,didn't get dressed all day didn't do anything ,felt nauseous headachy just plain horrible..did my last injection tea time and half an hour later had a weird sensation in my upper abdomen slight pain , achy joints and massive migraine.!! Don't know if the needle into my stomach caught a nerve as the pain was right up the right side of my head..so frightening.. went to bed and thought if it gets worse ring doctor, but didn't sleep much (has been like that all week !) It could possibly be me catching the 'vegas nerve' but not sure. Have early oncologist appointment tomorrow, as she's on holiday next week when I should have had one !! So will check although after a migraine tablet or two my symptoms haved eased greatly.. those injections have made my stomach sore..just don't like them at all..not sure if its them that's caused my insomnia ..just need a good nights sleep.. my bladder and digestive system still feel irritated although I'm not surprised with the cocktail of chemo drugs were on...I hope next week I feel much better..its nice to read were all going through similar experiences together...big hugs to you all ( too many names to remember..lol) xx hello to new August ladies also xx
Soworridl

I've not commented on here since the day of first chemo before I went. Was on the 9th. Feel back to my normal self now. However first week was pretty crap. Think I know now to write that off and know that I will be a hobbit for a week! I also spent a night in hospital due to rapid heart rate. Could feel it pounding in my chest too. Was hitting just over 100bpm. Not fun. No real answers except probably due to a drug. No one knows what one. Nurse said sometimes it's the steroids that can do this tho.
Hope everyone else is okay xx
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Mary Kate, popping in from ?May group. Hair falling out is quite upsetting, I found. Having said I wasnt bothered I found I really was. However, once my hair started to fall out I looked really messy and odd. Also, as the follicles started to die my head hurt. I finally took the plunge and got my hairdresser to shave it off. Accompanied by copious amounts of wine! I took my wig with me and as my 'shave' was done privately when I walked out of the salon I looked as though I'd just had my hair done! Great for my ego. 😄 Good luck with this step in your journey. Get out the scarves and hats, the more flamboyant the better! X

Sue C
Community Champion

Fairy, I really struggled with fatigue. I didn't leave the house for a week! But I certainty felt better from day 8 onwards, so hopefully you will too.

Sending a hug xx

fairy

i hope so.. day 6 today, i hope im not an unlucky one who doesnt start to feel better.. hope all u ladies are doing good xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Perfectly normal! Just do what your body is telling you. You will gain some energy back in a few days xx

fairy

ive literally slept most of the day today is this.normal
Sib

Lovely to hear from you Ali, sending a hug and hope treatment goes ahead as planned next week. Hair thing is strange, you know it's going to happen but hope it doesn't. Xx
Mary-Kate

Hi Sib, sorry that you're having a hard time, hope you have a better day tomorrow.  My hair has just started falling out this evening, like you and Ali Smiley Sad  I'm 3 days behind you, my next Chemo is on Sat 26th.  Even though you expect it, it's still quite upsetting isn't it?  Didn't think it would happen quite so soon, sort of thought it would be after the second cycle.  I had my long hair cut short last week - even found that hard to do, but figured short hair falling out would be easier to cope with than long hair and easier under a wig, not too sure now though...  

Hi Xena - welcome to our group, hope your hotness goes soon and any side effects you have aren't too bad.

And Butterfly, sorry to hear you're not having a great time, feel better soon and keep smiling...

Keep well everyone xx

Ali S

Hi Sib. Glad you are feeling better today. My hair is coming out in handfuls today. Its very sad. I'm gearing myself up for my next session next week. I just hope my blood tests are ok after the infection and it's not postponed xx
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Xena75 - I've just popped in here from the May 2017 starters - I've had 3 lots of docetaxel chemo (with herceptin and pertuzumab) and on the first one I had really hot red cheeks which lasted 2/3 days - I haven't had them as bad since! I do, however, get hot flushes which have been more frequent after each treatment!
Sue C
Community Champion

Sib

Sorry you've been struggling. Try not to do too much and let others help as much as possible.

You might want to consider getting your hair cut short? I know that's really hard. I also had long hair and it was really difficult to make that decision. Plus coping with the hairdresser asking lots of questions! But when my hair started to fall out, it made a lot of mess and so I'm glad I did. And it can be quite upsetting. Also consider about some head wear at night.

Hope you have a better week xx

Sib

Gosh , it's definitely a roller coaster ride for us all. Hope everyone is a bit better today. I had rubish day again yesterday (day16) very tired and for first time since starting chemo didn't get out of house, also had terrible headache. However woke today feeling better, done grocery shop but my hair is starting to fall out ( I have long thick hair ) only to be expected I know! Still not ready to have it taken off though, will with to bitter end! Next chemo for me due Wednesday 23rd, a bit apprehensive but after this I'm a third of the way through chemo!!.
Sending hugs to you all as we face this climb, wishing you all well xxxx