1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Butterflyflyfree

Re: AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Hi Ladies, I had the go ahead for my 2nd cycle tomorrow. Pleased but also a bit scared as I know what to expect this time. Also found out that I didn't actually have a uti infection at all! Bit gutted that I suffered with the antibiotics anyway, but guess they gave me cover so I didn't pick anything else up! At least I know now that how I felt was all down to the chemo not the infection, hence the anxiety. Anyway a decent night sleep tonight before I get the steroid disturbances tomorrow. Sleep well ladies. Xx
Mary-Kate

Hi Helenp and Cookiesim, sorry to hear your second Chemo has been delayed as well, it seems to have happened to a few of us now.  So frustrating isn't it, just when you're ready to get on with the next stage.  I'm trying again this Saturday, hopefully the white blood cell count will be higher so it can go ahead.  Don't know what happens if it's not at a safer level this time.  I've been trying to recoup my strength this week, taking it easy and have eaten so many fruit and vegetables I'm getting a bit fed up of them - no idea if it'll make any difference but I'm giving it a go!  

And that's a great mantra to have, Helenp - one day at a time and keep positive!  We'll get through this...

Hope everyone is doing well and hello to the new August ladies. xx

Cookiesim

My 2nd is deferred as well Helen 😕For a week. X
HelenP

Poo! Bloods taken earlier show white count of .6 so can't have 2nd chemo on Friday. Repeat bloods on Friday and chemo Monday now...pants!
Sue C
Community Champion

Fantastic attitude re. hair loss Helen! I was never that brave,  so good for you xx

Cookiesim

Although I was dreading my second chemo today ( can't control the anxiety) I was actually disappointed when they wouldn't go ahead. Bloods were okay but I have a urinary infection that seems to improve and then symptoms flare up again . Advised to defere for another week and revisit GP for review. I had it all so neatly planned on my calendar. 8 cycles due to finish in the year! I guess it may not be as straightforward forward as I'd hoped but at least we have started the journeys ladies.

Cookie xx

HelenP

Hi ladies!
Day 20. Due to have 2nd round of chemo on Friday, bloods done today and I'm feeling good so hopefully all will stay on track. My scalp started tingling on day 13 and started to come out on day 15 (I decided against the cold cap), and much more came out on day 16. I didn't expect this to happen so quickly in the first cycle!!! Went to collect my wig last Friday and just got them to shave it all off because ut was getting a bit messy. I was absolutely dreading it, and expected to totally blub but the lady was fantastic, I didn't have the courage to look in the mirror but my friend was so supportive and I finally turned round with one eye open after she'd finished...it wasn't half as bad as I'd expected because the discomfort and pain I was experiencing instantly eased. With lots of encouragement I bit the bullet and wore the wig straight away to the local pub for a bar meal and am so glad I did. I've now done the hardest thing by embracing the hairloss and going out in the wig. My teenagers were fab when they saw me without hair, I was really worried they'd be upset but the three of them said I look quite cool and even liked the new grey colour I've been left with cos I haven't done my roots since July!!
One day at a time is our new mantra ladies, keep up the positive attitude, your posts are helping us all
Xx
Butterflyflyfree

Thanks Claire. Bloods all good, and doctor wasn't surprised by my reaction to chemo. Meds all the same, and hoping for a better result this time. They didn't think there should be any reason for me to get another infection but said I did the right thing last time getting it checked out. So all set for round 2 tomorrow! Good luck to you and all the other ladies for the next cycle. Xx

treehouse

Hi ladies. I just wanted to drop in from May starters to say I am so glad you have a good group to see you through. The May warriors have been a god send and have kept me sane. I (hopefully) have my 6th and final treatment tomorrow. Be prepared for a few bumps along the road. My finish line has moved and I needed a blood transfusion after round 3 but right now I feel great and am looking forward to surgery and being rid of this thing.
I know side effects can be hard but you will get through it. Accept help and forgive yourself for bad days.
Sending you all ❤️ love and best wishes on your tough journey . If I can do it you can too. X x x
ClaireH81

Hi All,
Claire good luck to you and your mum, it is nice just to have a familiar face with you.
Butterflyflyfree I hope your second cycle is better that your first SE wise!! Are they changing any of your meds? They've added another anti sickness to mine for me to try (I'm EC too)
I'm just back from having bloods for 2nd lot tmrw. I called into see the scarf ladies whilst there and got a couple of scarf like hats. Last week I picked up a wig, I had cold cap but in last couple of days I've noticed some hair loss on pillow and whilst combing.... I've said I'll carry on with cold cap this time and see what happens. I'm like suec too its one of the only times apart from getting initial diagnosis that I've been upset so I'm trying to put it into perspective that it's not a high price to pay short term.
I haven't told my little girl anything yet (she's 3 1/2 going on 30!) I have the book but it seemed a little too in depth to what I wanted to tell her as I've already had surgery etc so was hoping to not have to go into all that with her.... It's her first day of nursery on Monday so hoping I can manage he school run! Xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Morning Ladies

Hope you're all doing OK.

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to Claire and her Mum.

Please ask if you have any questions and I will do my best! Are you going too Claire? It's a good idea for someone to be with your mum, even if its just to get a cup of tea! Best wishes.

For ladies who are going through hair loss right now......... it's really ***** !!

I think it was one of the occasionally times when I got upset. However, you do get used to it and it does grow back, I promise!

Sending hugs to all.

Sue xx

Xena75

Hi cathysid, yes I've read it to my 6 yr old, the 4yr old wasn't remotely interested! I've spoken too the head at the end of last term as requested a meeting ahead of school starting again, so I will find out what can be put in place for alternative drop off and pick ups. Hes been really helpful so far. This is certainly not how I thought my little ones first day at school would be like.

Butterflyflyfree

Hi Catlady, glad to hear you're doing well after your first cycle. Bloods and doctor today in readiness for number 2 tomorrow, had 2 days of feeling well! Hoping for more next time round. Bit worried bloods won't be right, but there's nothing I can do about it if they aren't. 

My hair starting falling out on day 19, and is leaving at a rapid rate now. Found the lint rollers really useful for getting the loose ones off my pillow! No bald patches that I can see, yet, but got hairdresser on standby to do the shave when I do. Hopefully the new scarves and hats I ordered will be here by the time I get home from the hospital. Have a good day ladies. Xx

Cathysid

Hi Xena,
My little one starts school next Tuesday too. I'm starting chemo this Thursday/Friday. Hoping I've got everything she needs and that I can be there to drop off and pick up next week. It's hard to be 100% present for the kids with all this going on. Have you had the lovely book "mummy's lump" to help explain to the kids what's going to happen? I got it free from the hospital. I'm not looking forward to explaining the situation to the head teacher too!
Cath x
Xena75

Hi Claire137 and mum. Hope today goes well for you, are yoiu going too Claire?. I found the nurses amazing when i had my first lot.

Claire137

Hello everyone

My mum, 63, is starting chemo today at 11am. We are nervous and anxious about what is to come. Having this thread is very helpful for us both. X
Xena75

Hi everyone, gosh you all sound like your pretty much taking it all in your stride. Second rounds having started for some. Sorry some of you haven't got your second cycles when expected, this must be so frustrating...just want to get it all over and done with. 

Im now day 11 after first cycle. No hairloss yet, but waiting for it to start, am prepped with scarf and hat from big c shop. Keep reminding my children (4&6) that my hair is going to fall out.

i feel I've escaped too many side effects this cycle, taste buds affected, tingly tongue, space cadet head, bit tired, no sickness, very little nausea, one morning of funny tummy and a 24hr period of terribly painful heartburn, BUT as on docetaxel I'm awaiting the arrival of joint pain, tightly crossing fingers not too many extra side effects will add on though. Nervous for the next cycle to be honest, trying not to think about it. I have realised today that my little one starts first day of school right in the middle of the crappy first week of the next cycle though...hope I will be ok to take her.

CatLady63

Hi Butterflyflyfree

I had my first chemo last Thursday, surgery is planned for afterwards.  

So far SE have been minimal, nausea, fatigue, and constipation. I have had pain and discomfort around my tumour and lymph nodes. My BCN said this was not unusual.

This is a great place to ask questions and get support from fellow fighters!

Hugs to all

xxx

Cathysid

Wow, you are all doing so well. Can't believe some of you have got 2 sessions done already! How are you feeling about the hair loss? I'm very prepared but still unsure how I'm going to feel when it happens!
It's been a tough weekend not knowing what the plan is. Mary kate - I also felt tired, emotional and drained - and I've not even had any chemo yet! You get yourself so psyched up for each next step, your life revolves around hospital appointments and the treatment schedule, it's hard when suddenly the order is gone and it all feels out of control again.
I'm set to see the oncologist again tomorrow to find out how my bilirubin has been over the last few days to see if I can go ahead this Thursday and Friday with my firsts chemo. I'm hoping it's all settled down otherwise I've been told the whole plan may change. Fingers crossed.
Cathx
Cookiesim

Thanks to everyone for reassuring advice, my second chemo didn't happen today as it's the bank holiday and my picc moved anyway so once that's reinserted tomorrow I will have the second cycle Wednesday. I. Still on antibiotics but hope it doesn't get delayed. Hoping to cope a Little better now I know what to expect and my symptoms are similar to others. Fear of the unknown with each new treatment. It's really helped finding this group and reading about everyone's experiences.  X

Butterflyflyfree

Interesting Ali, thank you.
Ali S

Hi Butterfly. I saw my surgeon after round 1 of chemo and mentioned pain where my lump is. She said after chemo starts the lump can swell and seem bigger and in my case press on the nerves. It's settled down now thankfully.
fairy

im day 14 after first fec no hair loss on head yet but i wore cold cap but my curly wurlies downstairs (havent bothered shaving for a while since i thought they fall out anyway) are falling out quite a lot from about day 11.. but like my mam said i didnt wear a cold cap on my peach haha
Butterflyflyfree

Fingers crossed! Xx
Butterflyflyfree

Thanks Sib. So pleased your 2nd cycle is going better for you. Xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi butterfly

Because you had an infection, it would have taken you longer to recover, so hopefully next time it will be much quicker.

Sue xx

Sib

Good morning butterfly free, so glad you are doing better. I'm sure hospital will work hard to ensure you don't have same se next time, they did with me and my 2nd cycle has,do far been much easier.
Can't comment on tumour pain I had mastectomy before chemo.
As for hair loss it will be quite quick now, I had mine taken off Friday (day 2 of 2nd cycle) and was ready for it to go (despite my earlier fears) wig has been cut to suit but only wearing it out, quite happy to wear scarf and hats at home.
Hope you continue to do well sending a big hug. X
fairy

i noticed like stabbing pains the 1st week after chemo where my tumour is.. i do wonder is it the chemo breakin it down? anyone else experience this? x
Butterflyflyfree

Morning ladies, quick update from me! Day 19 and the first day I feel almost normal after first cycle, complicated by infection needing a/b that has given me prolonged diarrhoea tmi sorry!

Hair thinning rapidly now, wig collected but needs my hairdresser to make it more me first. Am considering having hair shaved if I start to get bald patches, It's short anyway, so would show more I think.

Have kept a diary, and made a list of SE for next appointment on weds, really want to avoid another infection - have no idea where this one came from or whether a SE of EC. And beginning to worry that my bloods won't be good enough for the next cycle.  

Is anyone else, who is having chemo before surgery, aware of their tumour/lymph nodes? They can be quite "grumbly" particularly the lymph node. 

Sue you did promise me I would feel better at some point, and you were right thank you! Just didn't think it would take this long, hoping for a better result next time. Xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Morning ladies

Hope you're all OK?

Mellylew welcome. So sorry you've had a bad start. The fatigue is worse in the first week, so hopefully you will start to feel better. Once you get through the first cycle, you will know what to expect for the rest. There tends to be a pattern. It's a good idea to keep a diary and then you can work out when your good days will be.

Sue xx

Mishy18

I was taken in after first fec with similar symptoms to you spent two days in hospital with extreme fatigue on fluids my onc gave me a dose reduction to make SE more manageable round two wasn't as bad round three has been the best so far! managed to cope with SE this time the Fec is ugh! but I'm sure if you speak to your onc he might tweet the dose as they give you alot on first one x hope that helps I started mine in July my next one is the T bit!!
Mellylew

Hello ladies. I'm new here. Had my first FEC-T chemo on 17th August and have felt crap ever since!
Soworridl...had exactly the same as you, went to A&E with a racing heart and missed beats, very scary. They can only put it down to side effects of chemo. Heart and lungs are fine. Fatigue has hit hard and don't feel like I can plan much as I don't know how much energy is in the tank! It's all a bit daunting. I'm hoping next week will be better than this one.
Sam890

I am so sorry to hear about the troubles some of you ladies are having both medically and personally. I feel blessed at present that I am just feeling sick and have a real adversion to strong smells, they really turn my stomach. Started to eat a little yesterday but drinking lots. Has anyone else had problems with hiccups? I keep getting random bouts! Take care of yourselves. X
Sue58

Mary Kate, sorry to hear your 2nd chemo was postponed and your news of your son..hope he is ok...
my chemo had been put back 3 days also , but because of staff shortages/sickness/holidays in the unit so they have to close it for the day on Friday 1st Sept ..I'm now in on Monday 4th September..its the last thing we want is to put our treatment back..but I suppose its out of our hands sometimes which is so annoying..!! ..I just hope my bloods are ok at the end of next week also... a friend of mine at work who had breast cancer 13 years ago said she used to drink Guinness shandy the night before her bloods to get her bloods right..!!
Day 16 for me and my hair hasn't come out yet ,although the top of my head is a bit tender..maybe it will shed in the next few days...I havnt lost any hair from anywhere as yet...!! Hope everyone is well..love and hugs.. xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Mary Kate

Sorry your chemo has been delayed and glad your son is OK.

They tend to leave it a week and then try again. The only thing that you can really do is eat plenty of fruit and veg.

Hugs xx

Mary-Kate

Thanks so much Sib and Ali - it's been a tough day, but feeling better about it all now.  I really wasn't prepared to hear that my immunity was low as I've not been feeling too bad for the last 2 weeks, just the last couple of days have been a bit run down.  Didn't realise your's was lower too, Sib - reassuring that they refer it to your Oncologist, much better to be safe than sorry, and even if as in my case it does mean a delay in treatment...    

Ali - shame you're feeling a bit worse the second time round and so sorry to hear your family news this week. Life carries on doesn't it and throws all sorts of things that we have to deal with alongside what we're going through - and just when you least expect it.  Hope you're doing OK...

Take care Ladies, rest well and hugs to all xxx  

Ali S

Hi Mary-Kate. Sorry to hear your treatment didn't go ahead today. Must be disappointing when you have mentally prepared for it. Glad your son is ok though, that must be such a relief. You just need to rest up now and take care of yourself.

I'm doing ok but have felt a bit rougher after this cycle than the last. My immunity was really good but I did have a massive amount of antibiotics after my last treatment. Life has been kicking my family too this week. My father in law has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and angina, my daughter is ill with a viral infection and my step daughter is in hospital with an infected cyst on her kidney.

Hope all the other August ladies are doing ok xx
Sib

So sorry to hear your 2nd treatment didn't go ahead as planned. My blood count was also a bit low and needed oncologists go ahead for 2nd chemo. Which, so far, has been better than last time.
Also sorry to hear about your Son, doesn't life just keep kicking us sometimes!! Glad he has been discharged from hospital though.
Rest up and eat well. Sending a big hugs. Xx
Mary-Kate

Hello ladies, so a rubbish start to the day today.  Went in for my second Chemo only to find out my immunity is too low for me to have it.  So frustrating, as you say, Cath.  They can't even give me an appointment yet as they're fully booked!  Maybe that's why I haven't been feeling too good the last couple of days, light-headed, very exhausted and headachy - and hair is falling out by the handful now!  Anybody know of anything you can do to boost your immune system?  Chemo nurse just said as long as I've had all the injections, which I had before, it should just happen naturally.  

Quite hard when you've psyched yourself up for the treatment, only to be told it can't go ahead...  Also not helped by the worry of finding out that our son had a serious car accident during the night, a hit and run as well.  Thankfully he & his friend have been discharged from hospital this morning with minor injuries, so lucky, seeing the state of the car...  But the stress of that on top of all this has not been great.  

Sorry - not having the best of days today....  Hopefully tomorrow will be better - just now taking it easy to try and re-boost my immune system!

Hope all August Chemo ladies are doing OK.  Ali and Sib hope you're feeling ok after your second cycle. Good luck to anyone having their treatments this week xx 

Ali S

Hi Sam, glad your first one is over and done with. I'm suffering with the hot flushes too. I had some nausea on my first one and the foggy head. Had my second yesterday and they amended my meds and have had no nausea at all. Take care of yourself, rest and hydrate xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Sam

Glad you're doing OK.

Yes the first couple of days are quite tough in terms if nausea, fatigue and generally feeling not quite right. I found the first one probably the toughest, as there is an element of your body getting used to it.

Take things really easy over the next couple of days. Drink plenty of water and let others look after you.

Let us know how you're doing.

Sue xx

Sam890

Hope everyone is good today. My first one went ahead although they couldn't use picc line as it had come out 10cm. Luckily the nurse was brilliant and found vein first time. Very bad night last night with my hot flushes and nausea. Feel very muffle headed today.
Sib

Hi Cath, sorry for your delay. I empathise about your chemo start date, we dont want it to start but we sure want it finished! Hope your bloods ate good for next week.
I too had a neck and shoulder massage while getting my 2nd chemo! Lovely and so relaxing, she even eased tension which I had in my shoulder on mastectomy side since oppressively in June. Bliss.
If we look hard enough we can always see the sun through the rain! Xxx
Cathysid

You are all doing so well with your first treatments. I was in today for my first chemo but it couldn't go ahead as my bilirubin was too high. No idea why. So another weeks wait. 2 months since I found my boob and lymph node lumps- grade 3 and still no treatment. I'm frustrated and sick of waiting, needles and tests. All I can do is wait and see what next week holds. Awful as chemo sounds I want it started now!
Sorry, complaining again,
On the plus side had a foot massage in the chemo ward and a relaxation session at maggies. It's like being at a health spa of sorts!
Love and strength to you all
Cath x
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Cookie and welcome.

I'm sure these symptoms are not uncommon unfortunately.

Let the chemo team know for next time, as there maybe something they can give you. All I would suggest is to make sure you drink plenty of water especially in the first couple of days as it helps flush the chemo through your body and will help with the headaches too.

Best wishes

Sue xx

Butterflyflyfree

Hi Cookie Day 15 for me on EC cycle 1,  haven't been dizzy so to say, but have been light headed and spaced out. Headaches off and on. I too had an infection, and still on a/b - finish them tomorrow. Hope I don't get another one. I'm now not sure whether what I felt in week 1 was due to infection or chemo, guess it won't be too long until I find out! I'm going to go to my next clinic appointment with a note of how I've felt to let the doctors know and see if any of it can be prevented next time. When's your next cycle start? Xx

Cookiesim

Hi I started my chemo this month, this is week 3. Very up and down and I am being treated for a second infection already and I though I was so careful. I had severe dizzy spells straight after my treatment for about 2 days. Lasted longer but became infrequent.  I am on EC. I have also had headaches. Anyone else troubled with these symptoms? 

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi sib
That's good news.
Very brave of you to get your hair shaved. I couldn't do it and admire anyone who can.
Hugs xx
Butterflyflyfree

Great news Sib, keep taking the pills! Have got an appointment to collect my wig tomorrow although still can't see much loss so far. I too am trying to think in small steps, huge milestone for you well done. Be kind to yourself and take care. Xx

Sib

2nd chemo yesterday, no sickness this time, but still nauseous at times, was eating dry toast at 1am this morning and didn't sleep. However much better than last time .Resting up today, can no longer go without wearing scarf or hat as hair is failing out in clumps and have bald patches. Appointment made for tomorrow afternoon to get remainder taken off.
But that's me a third of the way through chemo!!!
Hope everyone is well and coping. Sending hugs. Xxx