1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Sib

Re: AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Morning Ladies, so sorry your chemo didnt go ahead, but at least by getting lower more frequent doses you should feel better and have better quality of life. Hang in there
Fairy good luck for tomorrow , almost halfway.
Like you Ali tnis has been my toughest chemo, not sleeping and generally feeling rough (actually contemplated, briefly, on friday stopping treatment. ) However felt much better yesterday and today (day 11) . Got midway oncologist appointment on Tuesday but chemo nurse assures me tbat its just routine. Also got another heartscan before starting herceptin and docetaxol.
Its really some journey we are on, full of ups and downs, twists and turns.
Sending hugs to you all. X
Butterflyflyfree

Great news Fairy! Well zapped! Xx

fairy

chemo isnt nice but totally worth it my tumour has shrunk from 3.7cm to 1.9cm so nearly half after only 2 cycles of fec, i had a us on tuesday xx
fairy

hi all.. well done to all who are half way, i have my 3rd chemo monday however they are changin me to the thp chemo so ive had two fec and 4 docetaxol herceptin and perjeta.. also braved the shave last night for mcmillan and have raised over £1300 xxx
Butterflyflyfree

Oh Mary-Kate that's just rubbish for you, so sorry. However it's good that they can alter things and still give you a fighting chance to get rid of the b****s! Hope you feel better soon, and can get number 3 under your belt. In the meantime rest and take extra care of you. Xx

Ali S

Hi Mary-Kate, that's really disappointing news. I'm sure you will be ready for your third round soon. You must be disappointed that you need to have more sessions but hopefully the lower dose will make it easier for your body to tolerate it. Get some rest now and build your strength up ready for number 3.

I'm day 10 and am very slowly starting to feel better. This round really has kicked my butt. I have now received an appointment with my surgeon for the day before my next chemo is due so hopefully there will be some good news to spur me on.

Hope all you August ladies are having a good weekend xxx
Mary-Kate

Hi Ladies

Hope you're all bearing up ok.  Sorry to hear that you have a bladder infection, Sib, hope the antibiotics are starting to take effect and you're feeling better soon.  Butterfly, great news that your tumour is starting to shrink and glad you've managed to get your PICC line sorted - hope it settles down soon.  Hope you manage to have your tumour checked soon Ali and hope you're feeling better than before - and everyone else too.  And MAHJfam20, sorry to hear your news but good that you've had round 3 and you're half-way through.

I've been having quite a hard week, feeling so run-down, fatigued and struggling to do much at all, so it wasn't too much of a surprise when I went in for round 3 this morning to find my white bloody cell count is far too low to have Chemo once again.  So frustrating that I don't seem to be able to tolerate the drugs. Feeling quite down about it at the moment - building up for the treatment and then it's tough when you're told it can't go ahead. They've also told me I'll now be put on a reduced dose, not only for the next EC dose but also all the T cycles - and that they'll have to extend the number of cycles so I still have the same amount of drugs. Makes sense really, but I'd sort of hoped Chemo would be finished by the end of the year and it now looks like it won't be.  After months of recovering from 4 lots of surgery this all feels a bit never ending... But it is what it is - it's all part of this unpredictable rollercoaster of a journey...  

Hope all the August ladies have a good weekend. Good luck Sue 58 with round 3 on Monday and anyone else having Chemo this week xx

Ali S

Morning ladies.

MAHJfarn20, I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you are having. That's a lot to deal with on top of the chemo but you will get through it. Glad number 3 went ahead though, being half way through feels like an achievement in this awful journey. I hope you are feeling ok today.

Butterfly, hope you are doing ok today.

Xx
Butterflyflyfree

Thanks Ali. Felt better once I got there, and it was very straightforward with my line. The nurse was very kind, and she cleaned and redressed it for me and it feels much better. I'm wondering if it was slightly wonky and that was why it was so uncomfortable. 

Had a lovely chat with a lady who was on cycle 7, after mastectomy and partial lymph node clearance 6/13 had cancer - her view is 7/13 didn't! Good attitude! She said the cancer has gone, and the chemo was to stop it coming back. 

Now need to drink plenty to get rid of the pink tinge 😂 

Hope all the August ladies have a good weekend xx

MAHJfarn20

Hello again. Quick update-oncologist said I could go ahead with round 3 but that I would have to have a blood transfusion within next couple of days (have to stay in overnight) due to plummeting hb levels. This is due to having 10 weeks of bleeding. Had to see gynae and have ultrasound scan - results a week later-informed I have cyst, fibroids and thickened lining. He doesn't want to do any further invasive investigation due to possible infection until chem has finished in December so it looks like radiotherapy and further investigations in January...oh the joys! Feeling like it's never going to end. X

Ali S

Hi Butterfly, so sorry you are feeling weepy today. I was the same before number 3. As you say all part of the rollercoaster. I'm sure your nurses will take care of you today and I hope they can sort your PICC line out. Take care of yourself and rest when you get home xxx
Butterflyflyfree

Thanks Ali, sorry you're having to wait to find out how yours is doing. 

Feeling a bit weepy today, not sure why, guess just part of the rollercoaster. The doctor escaped the tears yesterday, think the chemo nurses won't be so lucky today! PICC line site sore from when they changed the dressing so want them to have a look, if I can explain through the tears. Nearly Emend time, then I'm off. 

Hope you're feeling better today Sib. Xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ladies

Just popping in to see how you're all doing xx

Looks like some of you are reaching the half way point which is great. I think you all know the routine now and it's just a case of getting through it right?

Allow friends and family to help as much as possible. And embrace the wigs and scarves! Look after your nails, as they will become quite brittle. And keep up with the fluids.

Sending you all a hug

Sue xx

Sue58

MAHJfarn20...good luck with 3rd FEC today..hope all goes well for you. ..
the side effects for T are apparently less nausea, but more flu like symptoms with joint pain and horrible cardboard taste in mouth (food tasting bland or yuk) xx
Jay68
Community Champion

When I was on the EC part of chemo - I drank 2 litres of water the day before chemo, the day of chemo and the day after this was on top of any other drinks I had and I was fortunate to not have any bladder problems.  With Docetaxol the side effects are different.  A little more challenging at times but not so much nausea and your hair will start to re-grow - although eyebrows and lashes may start to disappear!

I am from the May 2017 chemo group.  I finished chemo 4 weeks ago tomorrow and this Tuesday I've had surgery - right mx and total node removal.  The surgery is "easier" than chemo from my point of view!  

Good luck ladies - keep going, the journey is long and difficult at times but you will get there!

x

Sue58

Sib, sorry to hear your having UTI problems.. I had the same at the end of cycle 1 ..I was told that FEC causes the bladder to become irritable.. I was like you going to the loo very often..I was put on antibiotics at beginning of 2 cycle and havnt had the irritation at all, but I'm sure I will after cycle 3...!!!! I'm also struggling with tiredness and lack of energy this 2nd cycle, so am preparing myself for more after cycle 3 on Monday....
Good luck ladies for cycle 3 , I've got bloods tomorrow morning and cant wait to get 3rd and last FEC done with..although I hate the side effects..just hope my dose may be reduced this time due to me losing quite a bit of weight since starting chemo...!! Ali, hope your doing ok?
Love and hugs everybody and good luck tomorrow butterflyflyfree. Xx
Ali S

Hi MAHJfarn20. I don't think any of us have had T yet. From what I've read though the side effects are different from the FEC but most people have less nausea. Good luck for number 3 tomorrow x
Ali S

Butterfly, that's really good news about your tumour shrinking. Good to hear that the chemo is working. I was supposed to have mine checked after this cycle but they can't run any clinics at the moment due to an IT upgrade (ridiculous I know). Good luck for tomorrow. Hope all goes well xx
Butterflyflyfree

Hi ladies. 

So sorry Sib you're struggling this cycle. I've heard lemon barley water is better for UTI than cranberry. Less sugar that feeds the bugs! Got my cycle 3 tomorrow in my new PICC line. Made giving bloods today so much nicer, so hoping for the same tomorrow. Still feels a bit tender, but might be cos I was given a good scrub when they changed the dressing?! 

Also thought I'd share some good news, that my tumour has shrunk by 5mm 👏 so the chemo is doing its stuff, and I hope zapping the little b*****s that are looking to hide elsewhere too. 

I asked the doctor about the flu jab, and I was advised to have it just before the next cycle too, so have booked for the day before bloods. He said it didn't really matter where in the cycle I had it as it wouldn't make me feel ill, but if it was done when my white count was low it might mean the jab wouldn't be as effective. 

Hope you're feeling a bit better this evening Ali.

Sleep well ladies. Xx

MAHJfarn20

Hopefully, 3rd cycle of FEC tomorrow - half way mark. To be followed by 3 cycles of T. Are the side effects/nausea the same for T? 

Cookiesim

Sib sorry your not feeling great. I had 2 urine infections first cycle. I was told my chemo (EC) irrited the bladder and as well as the antibiotics told to drink loads of cranberry . Although I did have to water it down as made me feel more nauseous. Hope everyone feels better soon I'm already dreading number 3 next weds as knackered after 2 but we'll get there x

((Hugs ladies))

Ali S

Sib, I'm sorry to hear you are struggling this time. Hopefully your antibiotics will start working soon and you will feel better. I agree that there is an accumulative affect. It's taken me longer every cycle to feel more normal. Yesterday I thought I'd turned the corner then today I have no energy and am struggling to leave the sofa.
Xxx
Sib

Day 8 after 3rd chemo and just not picking up this time. Spent yesterday morning in A &E witn suspected bladder infection, at loo every hour and half feeling nauseous s d not slept properly for a week. Got antibiotics to take but still going to loo quite alot and nauseous. Doctor in hospital said they are never sure what is SEs from chemo and steriods and what is something else. Hoping to feel better soon, maybe its just accumulation of drugs in system now ! X
Cathysid

Yep. My oncologist said I definitely need the flu jab. He advised 2 weeks after my chemo.
Must get booked in!
Sib

Ive been advised to have my flu jab at same time as my next blood tests (so day before next chemo). Been told it could be a bad flu year so best to get it done, dont want any complications. X
Cathysid

Thanks for all the reassuring hair posts everyone. I'm coping better now. Hatsand wig were giving me migraines so I have had to adjust to bare head at home and am feeling much happier about it. I even bared my head at a friends house as I could feel a headache coming on. Needless to say she said a few words about how I suited no hair then the conversation went on as if nothing had happened. Phew. Still wearing hats outdoors but not worrying about trying to wear the wig underneath and I'm much more comfortable.
I'm going to ask my oncologist tomorrow about the flu jab. I'm not having the kids vaccinated as it's a live vaccine for them so not advisable in same house as someone who is immunocompromised, and I don't feel they need it.
Hope you are all ok
Cath x
Cookiesim

Hi all hope everyone's bearing up. I was just wondering if you were having flu jabs and what advice you have been given. I was told today to have it at the beginning of cycle but I don't fancy that as I feel so poorly then anyway. Not sure weather to bother?

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ali
I had CT chemo and I lost a little bit of my eyebrows and lashes but not all and it wasn't too bad. You may find it ok.
Sue xx
Ali S

Cathysid, sorry to hear you are having difficulty adjusting to the hair loss. I'm doing ok with it and have been out and about with both wig and hats on. I have had people stare at me in my hats but I just try and ignore them. I am very concerned about losing my eyebrows and lashes though which people keep telling me will happen on the T.

It is awful feeling like you stand out though. And if my husband tells me once more that my face is bright red I'm probably going to punch him! Like I don't already know that I look like a beetroot!

Hugs to all xx
CK

Sub
I've been told to shampoo bare head to avoid smell. Have invested in Garnier sensitive head shampo and Simple shampoo. Also rub some coconut wax on it to gel hair how back nicer and protect scalp.xx
Sib

I had my hair taken off day 2 of 2nd cycle. Im now day 4 of 3rd cycle. Im too a bit uncomfortable being in garden or answering front door with hats/scarfs and im not quite as confident in my wig as i thought i would be. I havent let anyone see me with my bald head and even dont like to catch site of it myself (makes diagnosis very real). I also find my head smells and tufts of hair grow back, i thought it may be chemo drugs coming through skin. Im sure it will get easier for us as we get more confident. Sending a hug. X
Butterflyflyfree

Hi Cath, I started to lose my hair day 18 of my first cycle. Had very short hair anyway and to start with it just seemed to thin, but when it got to the point of shedding all over the place I too had it shaved off, day 3 of cycle 2. I find the hats and scarves more comfortable than my wig. Feel more self conscious in that, and worry that it looks like a wig, although I'm assured it doesn't. To start with I had my head covered all the time, but now enjoy letting it breathe(!) as long as I don't get cold. I hope you feel more confident as the days go on, maybe once you find a head covering that you really like it'll help? I ended up buying loads of different sorts and trying them on to see what suits, so have a choice now depending on how I feel. 

Just a word of warning, although it might just have been me 🙈 I found as the shaved hair died off it really smelt. That upset me more than anything else. I was having to wash the hats daily as I hated the smell so much. I'm glad to say that it has stopped now, even though I still have a small amount of stubble left. I hope that might reassure anyone else who might be experiencing the same. Xx

Cathysid

Hi all,
Can't believe you are going through the third round already! You are all doing so well to remain positive!
I'm on second one this week. I had pulled through from the first and after day 10 felt pretty ok. But then the hair loss started. Decided to shave my head and give the hair to princess trust before it was all lost. I didn't imagine I would feel so self conscious without it! Today has been a struggle. I even feel extremely self conscious in my wig, hats and scarves. I dont even want to go in the garden ...,
Any of you who have lost your hair a couple of weeks ago, does it get easier with time?
Cath x
CK

That was meant for another thread,lol!
CK

Frozen pineapple chunks
fairy

i can get emotional on times for no reason. we are only human.. well done to those who are half way through xx
CK

Hi Ali S
Well done for chemo number 3!!! Halfway there??
One day at a time:) Glad some posts help.xxx
Cookiesim

Hi everyone, your all doing amazing keep up the good work. Apart from all the physical side effects how is everyone coping with the chemo blues. one minute I'm fine next minute the waterworks start. I'm thinking I'll have to drink more fluids to compensate. There's no logic to it at time 😭 X

Sib

Feeling much better today thanks. Glad your session went ok yesterday. I too had a wobble before Chemo, really did not want to go as I knew I would feel unwell again! Got sensible head on though and went, but it is difficult to put yourself through it all again. My next 3 chemo are detaxol so whole lot of different SEs to look forward to.
Big hugs to all. Xx
Ali S

Hi ladies hope you are all doing ok.

I had my third session yesterday. It went ok but I had a real wobble the night before. I really didn't want to do it. Some wise words from a good friend and the great support from you amazing ladies got me through it. I visited Maggies before my session and booked onto the talking heads and look good feel better sessions. Also spoke to a lovely lady who finished her chemo in June and was doing great which all helped.

I felt quite rough last night. I managed to get 4 hours sleep was then awake for about 3 before drifting off for a bit longer. This morning I feel woozy with a headache. Going to try and eat some breakfast soon so I can take my medication. I had this session in a vein in the side of my hand which was quite sore but will hopefully give the veins on the top of my arm a rest. They put heated pads on the top and bottom of my arm this time as well.

I asked about the flu jab and was told that because it's not an active virus we can have it any time. Apparently its predicted to be a bad year this year as there were so few cases last year. So make sure you get yours done ladies.

Sib, I hope you are doing ok today. CK welcome. Thanks for your tip on another thread to take the injections out of the fridge for an hour as I hadn't been told that! Sue58, glad you are feeling better. Sorry to hear that the cold cap isn't going well. I hope that you don't shed any more.

Hope all of you other ladies are feeling well today. Thanks for sharing your stories and for all the love and support. It really does make a difference xx
Sib

Hope all goes well for your next cycles, Ali and Mary Kate.
24 hours after chemo 3 and feeling better now, managed a half hour walk with dog to get some air. Just hope I sleep tonight.
I'm using heat pad on my vein, it helps at time but it's very debilitating and I've been warned it can take a year to repair! It's the little things the throw in that get me down but onwards and upwards ladies we are on our way to beating this even if chemo and SE are the pits! Big hugs xx
Sue58

Morning Mary Kate and all August ladies..
Yes, I have found that side effects on chemo 2 kicked in a few days earlier than 1st one..by day 7 I felt better but only had 5/6 days of nausea.queasyness and fatigue and generally feeling blah... I think the fact you don't sleep well with the steroids for the first week does not help as although you finish them on day 4, they have an afterlife which stays in your system for a few days more......I've felt run down and have a constant shake in my body and when you put that with motion sickness ,which I get..its not pleasant...!! But I'm feeling much better since monday..a slow improvement everyday... it just seems to be one thing after another... grrrr
I'm noticing that a lot of people are getting pain from the injections,
especially the 7th or last one..this happened to me also on 1st chemo and I nearly called for an ambulance. Migraine headache and strong spasms and achy pain everywhere..but it did ease after an hour or so..I mentioned this to my oncologist and the fact I'm not brilliant with needles and she put me on the one injection which is a slow release rather than the 7 and it has been so much better, one injection and all done for that session and you don't get the belly/ stomach ache as before..

Sib I love the ' I'm half way there and living on a prayer ' that is so appropriate to us all as we near the middle of this tough part of our chemo journey..

Fairy, I had to call at my doctor yesterday to check out my sore veins ,which were caused by irritation of the chemotherapy she thinks...and I told her that I was using paxman cold cap and that I had lost a lot of hair on the top and crown but retained a thinner covering everywhere else , I said I wasn't sure if it counted as a fail or not and she said she had never met any patient who has cold capped to have any success..!!! They have all lost too much hair..!! My wig is now out if its box getting an airing just incase what I have left deserts me before chemo 3. ...lol. I'm still venturing out without scarf, wig or hat so far ( although not going out much yet lol) hopefully soon.. I'm certainly feeling the cold winds on top of my head....lol

Hope all goes well today Ali and for you Mary Kate on Saturday for chemo 3

...and hope your Ok Sib After yesterday

Its reassuring to know we are all going through this tough time in our lives together , It certainly helps me through it ' when the going gets tough '...!! (Another song I believe.lol.) thank you your all amazing ladies. Love and hugs to you all xx
fairy

hi all just checkin in, i find after this 2nd lot im more fatigued than the 1st one but over the worse by about day 7.. switching to thp next round and dreading it.. i have had a terrible uti and cystitus and sore throat this time but luckily no temp. a epsom salt bath helps.. my hair is mostly gone now and my wig went to big as my hair thinned luckily the lovely lady at the shop exchanged it free of charge to a different one and it looks much better.. just think by the time the x factor winner is crowned this shd all be over for us and we can enjoy xmas with our families. as im her 2 + i will then have surgery i wud think in the new yr but thats not fazing me as i cant see anything being much worse than chemo xx
CK

Good after Mary Kate
Thank you for the mention! How on earth do you remember everybody? I can't even remember what thread I've commented on:0
You too must try to rest with all the extra everyday life things happening. My daughter moves in to Uni again next week but only in York so she will be able to visit me more often through my treatment. I had a big 50th last year and raised £20,000 for local charities. This year had to put on hold.
Hope you ladies all have manageable days.xxx
Mary-Kate

Morning ladies

That made me smile Sib and Sue (and we all need some of that!) - I will think of Bon Jovi, ‘half way there and living on a prayer’ when I have my next treatment!  Hope you’re feeling well soon, Sib - I found the insomnia from the steroids and lack of sleep really tough.  Just keep thinking of the big half-way milestone that you’ve reached!

I'm feeling much better this week, just very fatigued at times, finding it quite hard to rest and take it easy with husband's 50th birthday celebrations, Uni visits for one son and organising another son returning to Uni – ‘normal’ life goes on doesn't it, whatever that is now? 

Hope you're feeling a bit better Sue58, sounds like you've been having a rough time.  And Fairy, Cathie, Butterfly, Claire, HelenP, Cookie and everyone else, hope you're coping as well as can be.  Butterfly - hope your PICC line is settling down now and feeling better.  I've just about got used to mine now, had it in for nearly 6 weeks now, gets in the way a bit but you do get used to the routine of the weekly cleans and line flushes, just all part of the process.

Hi MAHJfarn20 - well done on raising all that money for Macmillan with your head shave!  Good luck for your third round - I'm a day behind you with my third one on Sat 23rd, just hoping my bloods are OK this time for it to go ahead without another delay…

Hi Mellylew - I've also been more fatigued after my second round, much more so than the first treatment. And also have palpitations, but have an ecoptic heartbeat anyway so my Oncologist only wanted me to have EC not FEC, as he mentioned that a side effect of the 'F' drug can be palpitations and didn't want me to have more than I have already...  So yours could be a SE, they're a bit uncomfortable but hopefully shouldn't be anything more...

And hello to CK, glad that our posts are helpful, hope you're doing OK after your first round.

Best of luck for today Ali, glad that your bloods are ok, nearly half-way for you too!

Hugs to August Chemo Ladies and keep well xx

Sib

Still awake and feeling nauseous but not been sick. If only i could sleep I'm sure I would feel better. Eating plain cream cracker and drinking tea. X
Mary-Kate

Hi ladies

That made me smile Sib and Sue (and we all need some of that!) - I will think of Bon Jovi, half way there and living on a prayer when I have my next treatment!  Hope you're doing OK after this round Sib and great you've reached the first big milestone!

I'm feeling much better this week, finding it quite hard to rest and take it easy with husband's 50th birthday celebrations, Uni visits for one son and organising another son returning to Uni - life goes on doesn't it?? 

Hope you're feeling a bit better Sue58, sounds like you've been having a rough time.  And Fairy, Cathie, Butterfly, Claire, HelenP, Cookie and everyone else, hope you're coping as well as can be.  Butterfly - hope your PICC line is settling down now and feeling better.  I've got used to mine now, had it in for nearly 6 weeks now and you do get used to the routine of the weekly line cleans and flushes, just all part of the process.

Hi MAHJfam20 - well done on raising all that money for Macmillan!  Good luck for your third round - I'm right behind you - third one on 23rd, just hoping my bloods are OK this time for it to go ahead...

Hi Mellylew - I've also been more fatigued after my second round, more so than the first treatment. And also have palpitations, but have an ecoptic heartbeat anyway so my Oncologist only wanted me to have EC not FEC as he mentioned that a side effect of the 'F' drug can be palpitations and didn't want me to have more...  So your's could be a SE, they're a bit uncomfortable but hopefully shouldn't be anything more...

And hello to CK, glad that our posts are helpful to you too, hope you're doing OK after your first round.

Good luck for tomorrow Ali, glad that your bloods are ok, nearly half-way for you too!

Hugs to all and sleep well xx

Sue C
Community Champion

There's not much to laugh about throughout this horrible process Sib, but the music does help xx

Butterflyflyfree

Great news Sib. What a feeling, hope this one treats you kindly. Xx

Sib

Yep Sue, everyone kept saying your half way there and as a Bon Jovi fan the words of living on a prayer sprung to mind and made me smile! We need to keep our humour where we can don't we. X