370871posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Sib

Re: AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Hi Ladies I have been so unwell on Doxetaxol that i dont want to keep posting to scare any of you, though oncologist did say my reaction was extreme and worst she had seen after 1 dose. However day 26 after dose and very slowly getting better, still taste problems but courseof steriods helped with appetite. Tummy issues improving and fatigue not so completely debilitating. Losing skin ftom hands and feet and nails coming off feet despite being covered!.
Supposed to start weekly paclitaxoel and 3 weekly herceptin on 8th November. Ses look very similar but no injections, which my body does not tolerate, my bone marrow apparently went into complete overdrive! Does anyone have any experience of this chemo? Would welcome any hints and tips?
Alot of us are having a really tough time. I knew this would be hard but i really didnt think it would be this brutal! I wonder if its change of chemo or accumulating chemo that makes us so ill?
Sending hugs to you all, we need to dig deep to get strength to see this through. Xx
CK

Sue58
Thanks for the mention! We all react differently but it looks like dry and horrible taste in mouth which I had with ECs! Achy bones and muscles plus GSCF injections sounds as if I may just lie in the bath for the whole 3 cycles!!!:0
Not looking forward to it:(
Oh well, just hope for manageable again.xx
Butterflyflyfree

Hi ladies, sorry I haven’t been posting. To be honest I didn’t want to read the effects of the T that most of you have started as I still hadn’t finished my EC as needed 4 cycles. No cycle has been the same or got any easier. Further complicated this time by a blood clot caused by my PICC line which needed immediate removal (😣 ouch) and now have 3 months of blood thinners to self inject. 

T with Herceptin and Pertuzamab starts weds/thurs this week and with my record so far am expecting the worst. Haven’t even had the courage to read all the info I’ve been given 🙈 4 cycles takes me to early Jan so even finish after you all I think. 

Anyway enough feeling sorry for myself, had a lovely day with my daughter who came up to visit me and have felt good all day so at least that’s one day this cycle 😂

Hope you all get a good nights sleep and this week is better for you all than last. Good luck to fellow chemo ladies having cycles this week, we’re doing this together I know. Xx

Sue58

Hi August ladies...hope you have all had a good weekend...
Well day 14 and starting to feel human again..boy has this docetaxel taken it out of me.!! I've never felt so tired and had so many toxic headaches..!! Day 5,6,7 and 8 were the worst although its taken till now to start feeling ok..the worst thing is the aches and pains in joints and the horrible slimy metallic bitter taste in mouth , my tongue went white ,my mouth went dry and so did my lips..I went of food altogether and spent this last week feeling so down and fed up..!!! I've lost 8lbs in the last fortnight so hopefully along with the other stone I've lost since chemo started the onc will reduce my dose as I asked her last time..!! (She had problems altering it on her computer screen, but she did say it needs reducing!!) Phew...better late than not at all..!!!
I found I could drink strawberry slimfast..that helped as it didn't taste to bad..heinz mushroom soup was ok and diet coke to drink..but on days 4,5,6,7and 8 everything tasted rank..I struggled as to what to eat..thats probably why I lost half a stone..!! I just managed to sip cold tap water..but even that wasn't wow... my liver seems to be struggling aswell..lots of pain ...

I hope everyone is managing ,Sib, hope you are alright...I'm thinking of you x Fairy, Helen, Mary kate , Ali, Butterfly Xena, Mahjfarn, CK, Cathysid.. were all a bit quite this month compared to others.. big hugs to you all lovely ladies..keep strong xxx

Ali S

Hi Melleylew, day 4 is spot on for the aches and pains to start. They should start to ease in a few days. Definitely try the Epsom salt baths they do help as do heat pads for the worst spots. I have 2 wheat pads which I use. I was told to take paracetamol regularly but I know others have been given stronger painkillers. My mouth is awful today and I can't taste anything and it's drying out. The only things I can actually taste are anything strawberry or creamy. I'm also chewing sugerfree gum, sucking boiled sweets and sipping sparkling water to try and help.

Hi CK. I can't help with the herceptin side effects I'm afraid. So far with the T I've had really achy joints helped by epsom salt baths and heat pads, dried out mouth and decreased sense of taste, tiredness, constipation (although a lot of people seem to get diarrhoea), headaches and sore nails. I've got my nails painted dark to try and save them.

Ali xx
Mellylew

Hi there ladies. I haven’t been on here for a while. I’m day 4 following my first ‘T’, cycle 4. I didn’t expect the joint aches and pains to kick in yet but they certainly did last night! Didn’t get any sleep. I will get some Epsom salts as most of you have recommended them. My mouth and throat is so dry it is really difficult finding things to eat that I can swallow. Had a week in hospital after my flu jab as my temperature spiked and my arm came up like a balloon! Which means my cycles have been delayed by a week but at least it’s still December when all this chemo will be over with. Just hope I can manage to get through the next 2 cycles of ‘T’! Any tips are greatly appreciated. We are all doing so well, we are nearly at the end of this part of the challenge!!! Lots of healing hugs to you all. Xx
CK

Hi August ladies!
I started ECs on Sep 4th so not long after you ladies!
I start Herceptin on 7th Nov when I need to say for 6 hours to monitor me and Doxataxol on 8th Nov!
Im just wondering if you could share any hints on how to make these treatments more manageable and what SE they may cause?xxx
Ali S

Morning all. Everyone is very quiet at the moment, how are you all doing?

I'm day 4 after my second T. I've not been too bad so far but feel a bit wobbly today. Getting ready for the aches and pains to start. I had a reduced dose this time as they were worried about symptoms I'm getting in my feet and hands. On the bright side I can finally say my next one will be my last 😊.

Hope all you August ladies are having a restful weekend and are feeling well xx
Cathysid

I know how you feel fairy. The hideous chemical hangover feeling is just awful. I sleep a lot after treatment too. The last round I had they gave me an 8 day tapered course of steroids rather than just the three days and it made a big difference. I was a lot less nauseous, had a bit more energy and felt not quite as bad as I did the first two. I usually just give up and spend week in bed or bath as it’s all I can manage. X
fairy

for some reason a i dont have the carboplatin my onc said its for ovarian cancer, ive had 2 fec, the 2 thp and 2 thp left.. feel like ive had enough and i cant do no more xxx
Cathysid

Hi fairy,
I had diarrhoea with the first round but hard to know what caused it as I had docetaxel herceptin perjeta and carboplatin together and all can cause diarrhoea. They armed me with loperamide(Imodium) in advance which controls it within an hour or two. Eating bland food like egg, potato, rice, porridge also helped. What are you having this round?
C x
fairy

cathysid do u have diarhea with the perjeta?? im so fed up, i just want it over. well done and good luck to all going into their 5th treatment, nearly there, 32 days into last treatment if no delays
Ali S

Hi Sib. Sorry to hear you have been feeling so poorly. I can appreciate you are disappointed that your end date has moved to December but you have to look after yourself and do what's best for your body.

I'm bracing myself for number 5 tomorrow. I'm on the steroids so not expecting to sleep much tonight. I've been to a look good feel better course at Maggies today. It was great. Make sure you book on it ladies if you haven't done it yet. Love and hugs to you all xx
Sib

Thank you all so much for your tips and kind wishes. This forum and you guys kerp me going when the going gets tough! Day 21 today and feel slightly better managed to put wash in machine and walk dog (tiny walk but out) maybe partly due to steriods hospital gave me to stabilise me.
Role on December till this part if journey is over!
Love and positive vibes for kind SEs to you all. Xxx
Sue58

Mishy I agree...bloody awful stuff..!!! And you had your fair share of the awfulness didn't you..?? Hope your doing good now xx. Hugs
Mishy18

Sue it's bloody awful stuff isn't it I feel for everyone who going through the wringer with it some people seem to tolerate much better than others do, it's like the gift that keeps on giving not.... 😝😲☹️😨
Mishy18

Sib I had a 10 day break following problems with 1st Doxetaxal then an anphalatic reaction to it 2nd time within 5 mins they switched me over to a new drug called abraxane for the duration of my chemo 2 x 3 weekly cycles they told me I couldn't have Doxetaxal again as my body was rejecting it and it was dangerous to continue it I also like you needed a little recovery time as I had taken a right old battering from my chemo! Just to let you know I have had 1st round of new drug with last one next week and feel much better than I did on the T so I'm sure you will be fine and better for you that you still can continue and get full recommended treatment xxx good luck x
Sue58

Sib...sorry to hear your news of the delay..this docetaxel is causing so many problems to us all..I've never felt so ill and I'm getting to the point enough is enough..so toxic..!!! I just want to feel human again..!!
All other August ladies due this week. Good luck ..xx
Meesh73

Hello August ladies!

mary-Kate thanks for the advice on the cold cap. Had quite a lot come out yesterday (day20 of cycle 1) and also quite a bit when they put the conditioner on today (had cycle 2 today) but I will continue with cold cap until cycle 6 or until I have no hair whichever comes first! I'm having fecx6 so not sure it will work as fec is supposed to be toughest on the hair, so people say. Hope things went well for you today.

sib, sorry to hear that you will have a break in your treatment and then a change in treatment. This thing is such a rollercoaster but with the help of the amazing ladies on the forum you will get through.

Feel free to post on the October thread as we do find experiences from ladies on the earlier trains invaluable to help us navigate our journey. 

Jencat

Sorry to read that you're feeling so poorly Sib and hope you will feel much better very soon xx

Sib

Just back from hospital, not well enough for chemo ro continue. To get a rest from treatment for 2 weeks to give my body time to recover, then i will get a new chemo (paclitaxel) ) ever week so they can monitor and manage my side effects. Will now not finish chemo till mid December.
Bit of a blow but feel to unwell to continue at moment.
Good luck Ali, Marykate, xena , sue and anyone i have forgot. All your support means loads thank you. X
Ali S

Morning ladies

Mary-Kate, sorry to hear you have been having some problems. I hope everything goes ok for you today.

I've just had a phone call to say my bloods are all ok so it's chemo number 5 for me on Thursday. I'm looking forward to getting this one done as then I will only have one left. They still think some of my se were caused by the infection so I'm hoping this next one will be much easier.

Good luck to all you ladies having sessions this week and hope the rest of you are doing ok x
Cathysid

Hope it goes ahead smoothly for you today Mary kate x
Mary-Kate

Hi August Ladies

Sounds like many of you have been have a tough time over the past couple of weeks.  Sib, sorry to hear your news but glad to hear your scans were clear, and hope you're coping with the side effects better now, you too, Ali S, Fairy, Butterfly, HelenP, Cathyside, Sue58, MAHJfarm20 and anyone else I've missed.

I've had quite a rough week, after peaking last weekend and thinking I'm OK again, went downhill with fatigue and such horrible bone aches again (thanks for the recommendtion of Epsom Salts!) and now thinking it's maybe my immunity falling again - just don't want to have a third delay with my Chemo tomorrow, although they did say that shouldn't happen since I had a reduced dose of EC last time.  Will find out in the morning when I'm hoping to start docetaxel but dreading it at the same time, the side effects and problems some of you have had seem to have been horrible. 

It didn't help either that the district nurse who came to take my bloods this morning found that I've got an allergic reaction all around my PICC line - no wonder it's been unbearably itchy this weekend.  Rang triage to see what they thought and think it's a reaction to the dressing rather than an infection - will have to have it all checked out tomorrow before Chemo and make sure there's no problem with the line itself.  Nothing is ever straight-forward in this process is it?  It's all such a roller-coaster....

My last cycle, if it's not delayed and now it's all been extended to more cycles, is Boxing Day!!  Haven't dared ask yet if it'll actually happen then!  Roll on the end of the year - hopefully we should all be finished with this horrible treatment...

Hi Meesh73, your question about the cold cap - I'm still cold capping but thought all my hair was going to fall out after the second cycle, as Sue58 said too, but then it seemed to stop and I reckon I've lost about 50% as well, mostly on top but still got some around the sides (not a good look!).  I also don't wash it much as I've been advised, so it's looks even more revolting!  I didn't really have any sore / itchy patches, just very uncomfortable whilst wearing the cold cap.  I could imagine it's just starting to grow back on top as well (but it could be wishful-thinking)...  So I'm wondering if it's going to all fall out now with T, will just wait and see...  Has anyone else still bothered using it during docetaxel or is it not really worth it?

Hugs to you all, hope all you lovely ladies are having as good a start to the week as possible and best of luck to anyone else having treatment this week xxx 

Cathysid

Food wise
Get your family to make your food as thinking of anything you fancy is impossible.
Easy food to eat I have found mainly involve mashed potatoes - must be moist!
Also eggs go down well, and porridge with honey is ok.
Potatoes are the only thing that tastes normal! Basically eat yellow for a week.
X
Cathysid

Sib and Sue,
I remember falling apart after my first tchp. I didn’t think my body could endure it 5 more times. Maybe I’ve been lucky but it has got slightly easier with each treatment, and the side effects a bit less intense.
Try sipping sparkling mineral water through a straw. It keeps the mouth moist and less vile. Fennel toothpaste and soft toothbrush to refresh the taste can help as well. Food just is t the same but day 8 is usually the turning point to improving slowly.
I was given a full week tapered course of steroids with my third round and it really helped too.
You will get through this and win!
Lots of love xxx
Ali49

Hi i amfrom sept/oct tbreads and had sore mouth on round one of chemo
I am usnig the biotene toothpaste and mouthwash but my Gp gave me Benzydamine mouthwash for the sore gums and ulcers and Daktarin orznge oral gel for thrush. It got much better with this. So now day 5, round 2,i have been using them and although my mouth is sore its nothing like last time. Xxx
Xena75

Sib sorry, not sub...silly predictive!
Xena75

Just caught up on this thread, sub how are you now?
Sue58

I'm the same Sib..will ask my doctor tomorrow if she can prescribe something...its a bitter metallic taste. Everything tastes vile..I'm getting faint from not eating much..sick to death of it. Mouth is so dry..!!! Xx. thanks fairy and meesh
fairy

i ask the gp for the oral thrush med and take it from day after chemo and mouth has been good for last 2 treatments.. nystalta or something
Sib

I have tried difflam and bicarbonate of soda but nothing takes away the nasty poison taste, really fed up as so weak and faint from not eating . X
Meesh73

I also read somewhere on here that bicarbonate of soda is good too mixed with water (read so much stuff whilst I was trying to prepare, can't remember where I read it) can now blame it on chemo brain, rather than rubbish memory!

Sue58

Yeah I have been give Diflam..but it didn't seem to be helping..I'm trying warm salt water rinses which seems better. Thanks. Not butting in at all lol. Xx
Meesh73

Sue58, sorry if it looks like I'm butting in but have you been given a mouthwash for your mouth? I'm sure I read either on the September or October thread that some have been prescribed with a mouthwash? Just thought it might help you. 🙂

Sue58

Meesh73. Thank you and good luck..keep cold capping xxx
Sue58

Sib, I keep saying the same. How can treatment be so horrible..but I know it has to be strong to kill the cancer...but it's killing me in the process..!!! I don't know if I can do the 5th one to be honest, but I know to get the best results I have to..I just cant cope with all these horrible side effects..and the mouth thing is getting me down..no saliva..food tasting bland...!! I cant wait for this. To be over....x
Meesh73

Also meant to say I'm sending you some 🦄🦄🦄hugs and sparkles 🌟🌟🌈🌈🌈 plus some 🕺🏻🕺🏻💃🏻🕺🏻💃🏻🕺🏻💃🏻from the October forum as that seemed to work for one of our ladies who ended up in hospital for 6 days after chemo 1.

Meesh73

Hi August ladies, sorry to hear you're all suffering a bit this time round. Try to stay positive and stick with it as you're all nearly there! 

Sue 58, thank you for responding especially as you're not feeling great I really do appreciate it. It's good to know that the tender tingly feeling is normal. I've been using a natural shampoo and conditioner by weleda (doesn't contain sls or parabens so is gentleman hair) as was already using this prior to chemo. I'm going to continue cold capping whilst I still have hair on my head, I also found the first 10 minutes the worst after that it's ok. Unfortunately I'm on fec for all of my chemo so will have to take the longer treatment ☹️

Good luck ladies with your remaining treatment! Hope you're all feeling better soon, at least it'll all be over for you before Xmas! 

fairy

im the 27th nov too.. ah we are all getting near the end now
Sib

Feel your pain Fairy and Sue, im day 18 after 4th chemo 1st docetaxol and only just starting to feel anytbing remotely like human. Still horrid taste no appetite and completely debilitating fatigue. Can this really be treatment!! Achey bones stopped for me day 10/11 when i was in hospital but had severe problems with hands sore swollen unable to write, wash dress. They are now shedding skin .
Next chemo due Wednesday and not sure im up to it but dont want to delay the end of treatment either. Due to finish on 15th Nov .
Sending love to you all. Hope we have the strength to continue and see this through. X
Sue58

Hi August ladies... hope everyone is good...I've been resting these last few days I went downhill on day 4 and then yesterday ..with horrible side effects yesterday..nearly called 111. Never had so much pain and discomfort felt really bad..worse than Fec..!! Was in bed most of the day, but just couldn't settle..I ached everywhere, but mostly my legs.. had a horrible migraine type headache that wouldn't go and lots of chest pains or spasms which got me worried..I cried..I swore..I threw things I was so down..hate these chemo side effects so much.!! My mouth is so sore and dry that I'm not eating much nor drinking much..just sips of anything that tastes ok !! I just don't have any appetite as food taste vile and I don't have any energy....so I know that's not helping..but I am trying to get something inside me ..but it is so hard to eat when mouth is sore... I'm day 7 today and feel better although my stomach is upset and has been for a few days.. I just cant take so many horrible side effects together. Its so depressing...I am really struggling....

Meesh73 sorry for the delay in getting back to you..Yeah there are not many people still cold capping a lot of ladies see loads of hair falling out and presume the worse that it will all fall out..this is NOT the case..you will shed loads around the 2nd chemo..I lost a lot and thought that's it. Its all coming out..but I read lots of other peoples stories over the years and they all said. Don't give up with the cold cap..yes you get tingling and scalp is very sensitive and yes you feel like all your hair is coming out. But I've still got around 50% left and I started with short thick hair... it will thin continuously. But I only got that one major hair loss around chemo number 2 ..I have a thin patch on top of head and also on crown. But I have a thin covering of hair which I can just to say cover. I'm tall so not many people can see the top of my head and I have a decent covering everywhere else..albeit a thin one..!! Lol
I wash my hair with palmers coconut conditioning shampoo once a week and use a little simple conditioner as well..my hair looks better using this shampoo than simple shampoo which left my hair flat and lifeless.. I'm now in my 4th chemo doxetaxel and still cold capping although I'm feeling the cold more on top. But it only lasts 10 minutes then its bearable... and is a shorter regime.. I'm glad I persevered with the cold cap because I nealy gave up ..but when I read other peoples stories they all said. Hang on in there. You will lose hair. But you will keep enough to get by...good luck
Fairy, I'm 27th November last chemo..(if I last that long) !!! Lol x

Hugs to everyone. How are you all doing. Ali and Sib Are you ready for no 5 ?
Does day 8 bring any relief from doxetaxel hell..?? Xx
Cathysid

My last one is 16th December x
fairy

luckily not many so far, extreme fatigue tho all i have done is sleep. im a lil achy and cant taste anything either..when is everyones last chemo? xx
Cathysid

Hi fairy - hope you start to turn the corner soon. What side effects have you got this time round? Day 4/5 is usually the worst point. Fingers crossed you will feel better soon xxx
Ali S

Hi Meesh73 and welcome. Hope you are well after your first FEC and are ready for your second. I'm glad you are able to take away positives from us August ladies. You are absolutely right, despite the obstacles we have faced we are all still going and getting closer to the end. Hopefully Sue58 will be along soon to answer your cold cap question.

Fairy, sorry to hear you are suffering with the side effects. Hang in there and things will start to get better. Sending you a hug.

I seem to be fully recovered from my chest infection but I have got the most awful itchy hands. I'm not sure if its the chemo or a new handcream i used but its really annoying. I'm currently visiting my in laws in Yorkshire and my poor hubby has had to take my MIL to hospital as next door's dog bit her! I'm dog sitting with a naughty glass of red wine. Hope all August ladies are having a good weekend xx
fairy

Day 5 of 4th chemo 2nd tax, slept for hrs on end, go away horrible SE! 37 days until last chemo 😁
Meesh73

Hi August ladies, I hope you don't mind me intruding! I'm an October lady (had 1st of fecx6 chemo on 2 oct and due 2nd one this Tuesday). Just popped over here to read your thread as wanted to see how people do later on in there treatment. Sounds like you're all getting through it despite any obstacles so that's very inspirational for those of us on chemo train 🚂 behind you!

Sue58, I have a question re:cold capping (there don't seem to be many of us doing that) did you get the sore/ tender scalp that others who don't cold cap talk about? I'm day 19 and I have a couple of sore/ tender itchy spots on my scalp and wondered if it's an indication that my hair will fall out/ thin in these spots? Just wondered if you'd experienced that? 🤔

HelenP

Evening ladies!

Fairy, hope yesterday went ok for you. Sib and Ali glad you seem to be doing better.

Had FEC no 4 on Monday, despite really sore hands and arms the canula went in fine and no dramas with soreness during the infusion, phew!

Feeling ok but the bloaty feeling is kicking in slowly today again, have decided to have porridge for breakfast instead of toast as I think bread for brekkie and lunch isn't helping and am forcing 5 pieces of fruit down me.  Am eating regularly and have staved off the nausea so far..,.time will tell.  Last cycle when I finished the steroids on day 4 the bloated feeling got worse every day so hoping the fruit and no bread experiment will work, have to try something, it took two weeks to feel normal last time and I need to be ready for my best friend's 50th on day 12 of this cycle!!!

Well done Sue58, long may the side effects lie low!

One day at a time...

Sue58

Morning Ali and all of the lovely August ladies..
Yesterday went well..although hospital had forgot to put the Paxman cold cap machine on so had and hour delay waiting for it to chill..!! But apart from that no problem with arm and cannula..so far..no side effects while drug went into me and no nausea also..bonus..lol... cold cap again very very cold on top of my head for 10 minutes but fine after that..hope I wont lose any more hair on Docetaxel....!! not Slept well last two nights but that is probably due to high steroids and very strong winds rattling my house at the front all night..!
Taste is still good today, day 2 , so will make the most of a good day and wait for the crash to happen in a day or so..lol..
Helen, hope yours went well yesterday and I hope Ali and Sib your feeling better.. Fairy hope yours goes well today also and no more problems for you.. Butterfly hope you feel better soon also.......
hugs to all of you lovely ladies..were getting there..!! Xx