373697posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Ali S

Re: AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Butterfly, good luck for your last session tomorrow. It's been a long time coming but you have finally got to the finish line. I hope you have minimal SEs his time.

I'm 6 weeks from my last chemo, 2 from my lumpectomy and I feel more tired than ever. I don't get my results until next week. I'm very anxious about it as, although my surgeon couldn't see the lump on US, the radiologist had no problem when inserting the wire, so it was definitely still there.

I saw my oncogist today and he will refer me for radiotherapy as soon as my surgeon signs me off. I'm having 20 sessions, 15 normal and 5 targeted.

How are all you other August ladies doing? xx
Butterflyflyfree

Last chemo tomorrow woohoo! Still got targeted treatments for the next 10 months, but hopefully less awful side effects by dropping the Docetaxol. 

I feel the fatigue has definitely been a cumulative effect, I haven’t been so perky at the end of this last cycle. 

And taste is still a bit iffy, but have got plenty in the fridge and freezer, so hopefully something will taste ok next week. 

Hoping all the August ladies are doing ok, don’t think any of you have many cycles left..I may be the last one! So hope side effects are being kind, and you have a plan for the next part of treatment.

My surgery is booked for 7th Feb, I’m still undecided whether to have a lumpectomy or mastectomy. Expecting a PET scan next week, to check on the bone lesion (and make sure there is nothing else lurking) and feel that might help me decide...still evidence of disease in bone = mastectomy, to get rid of tissue and minimise risk of recurrence...no evidence = lumpectomy...and then there’s the lymph nodes to be examined during surgery and removed as needed. Big decisions though. 

Have a good evening. Hugs to all. Xx

CK

Happy New Year ladies. May we all be blessed with good health and a good quality of life after treatment. Hope you managed to celebrate a double celebration too, no more chemo! Yay!!!😘😘
Cathysid

Happy healthy new year to all you August ladies. Good bye 2017! Hoping 2018 will be kinder to us!
Mishy18

Wishing you all the best for 2018 ladies thank you all for the support on the forum 💖
Butterflyflyfree

Spoiler

Happy New Year to all the August ladies. Thank you for all your support in 2017, it’s been a tough road, which would only have been harder without this forum where we can share our worries, our fears and our tips to help each other. 

Good luck to everyone in 2018 as we continue this journey together. Xx

Ali S

Happy new year Sib and all other August ladies. I think we will all be glad to see the back of 2017. Here's hoping 2018 is a better, healthier year for us all ☺ xx
Sib

Happy new year when it comes August ĺadies. Heres to a healthy 2018 for us all .
Hoping i can manage a wee glass of something to see the back of 2017. X🥂
CK

Hi August ladies
Day 9 of final T and been GP for my cough and cold and red hot rash on my cheeks and eye lids so now have antibiotics and allergy tablets and cream. Cough seems to be worse at night!

Taste buds still crap. Rib eye didnt taste of anything
Yet Wotsits taste good!

Daughter cooking, washing, ironing, hoovering and making drinks. Ive hardly left my bedroom today getting waited on. Uni has been good for her👍

Good luck to those who have treatment this week and well done to those who have finished and waiting for ops and rads.

😘😘😘
Butterflyflyfree

Well done Sib, so pleased you only have one more to go. My final one is next week, although I’m still struggling with this cycle, day 14. I too will have Herceptin until October, and hormone treatment - both Tamoxifen and an ovary suppressant Zoladax. Hoping that any side effects will be more manageable than the chemo we’ve had. 

Look after yourself and big hugs xx

Sib

Hope you are all doing well and surviving the snow, ice and cold.
Had my chemo yesterday and all went ok. I have to get one more and then im done!! Yeh been à long time coming, really hope it happens this time as ive been close to finish line twice before and had it snatched away. Got my Herceptin on friday which will continue till next November and furthèr heart scan on 18th jan. Will also need to start hormone blockers after chemo for 10 year's , not looking forward to this due to side effects, has anyone started any hormone treatment yet? This is a huge percentage of my treatment being successful so i need to tolerate.
So grateful to our NHS, oncology unit so busy yesterday with staff all working extra hours to ensure people got much needed treatment due to holidays.
Sending hugs to you all.
Mishy18

Had a lovely Christmas with my family, it was lovely with my little granddaughter Ella who is getting quite chubby at nearly 3 months!!!
Lunch was delicious my son in law is a cracking cook everything was perfect no banging or clashing in the kitchen either!!!!
Enjoyed a little break during holidays before starting back on rads had no 12 today so only 3 more then boosters
Still bothered with sone SE from chemo!! Fingers still feel numb and still have awful acid reflux ugh got lanzeropal from onc to try as rinitadine nit working!! Lovely to hear everyone had a lovely Christmas toi and are recovering from chemo
Cathysid

It has been a quieter Xmas but lovely to hear that most of us managed to be there with our families and enjoy their company.

Good luck with your last chemo Mary-kate. Ali, glad you are healing well. JoG amazing results from your scan!

Here’s to a happy and healthy new year!
Cx
Ali S

Hi ladies. Hope you have all had a good and peaceful Christmas. I've have a lovely quiet time with my hubby and 2 grown up children. My poor daughter has an awful cold and has been worried about giving it to me. Luckily as I'm done with chemo I would rather spend time with her and risk catching it.
This experience has turned me into a completely neurotic person. Since my surgery I've thought I might have the symptoms of septecemia and a blood clot. Every little twinge seems like a new drama or likely hospital visit. In reality my wound seems to be healing well with little pain.

Good luck for your final treatment tomorrow and good luck to you too Sib. Hope all you other ladies are doing ok xx
Sib

Happy boxing day. Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas day and Santa was good to you.
My day went as well as could be expected. Had 7 for dinner (less than usual) my dad with us but only for a few hours as he is unwell with chest infection and suffers from copd. My sister just finished treatment for bc and me about to get further chemo tomorrow, made it a bit of a quieter Christmas, but my OH was amazing and with help from my brother in law made the full Christmas dinner and tidied up. While i sat on sofa with no energy and a glass of champagne!
When i said to my eldest son about table not being decorated as nicely as usual his response moved me to tears "all that matters Mum is your here and well enough to have Christmas with us" .
Made it to 9.30pm then had to retire to bed. Very grateful for my lovely family.
Wishing you all well and hoping you have a good day with few ses xxxx
CK

Merry Christmas ladies and hope your next stage of treatment goes well.
Im still getting through SE of final cycle and cant taste anything but hope it will come back soon.
I like my food!!! Aches and psins and sore tongue.
Lots of rest and cheesy films.
Lots of love.xx
Xena75

Merry Christmas to you all, I hope you all get a lovely day tomorrow and are SE free and well looked after by whomever you are spending the day with,?!!

Sue58

Hi August ladies..
Ali..so glad op went well..I hope you rest up and enjoy christmas best you can....
I wish you all a fabulous christmas and thank you all for the continued support and help throughout these last 7 months..I couldn't have gone through this breast cancer journey without all your support...I hope everyone is as good as can be expected...
Love and hugs and Happy Christmas to everyone on this forum...xxxx
CK

Hi Mary Kate
Good to see you. Now enjoy a few days b4 Final chemo!!!! Still have SEs but will have a sense of relief.
Im resting b4 I go into work. Managed to go in last night too. Then we close fr 2 days b4 the hype to New Years Eve. Im still a bit dazed that last cycle has been done and even though feeling crappier than last one, Its such a good feeling knowing no more chemo🤞🤞
Taste buds still rubbish but had 2 helpings of Choc yul log and double cream last night and cheese on toast today tasted bland. Believe it or not just had crispy piek luncheon meat with fried eggs and spaghetti hoops 🖒

Had a sore throat and cough which kept me awake but hopefully its just my body releasing the past 18 weeks of treatment cough and cold free.

Two red patches on my cheeks are not budging but concealer covers it.

All you ladies try and have a restful SE free Christmas and remember to let everyone else do the work.xxx

Mary-Kate

Hi August Ladies

Merry Christmas to you all and your families!  Hope you're able to enjoy Chirstmas as much as possible.

Sorry I've been a bit silent recently, had a tough time with SEs since my last treatment in early Dec.  Now onto to my 7th and final one on the 27th, I love that word - FINAL!!  Fingers crossed, as I've been quite run down recently.  Can't wait to have this PICC line out too, can't come a day too soon...

Hope you're better on a reduced dose of Docetaxel, Butterfly and Cathysid, that's what I was on too and I think it helps if you're not tolerating the drug too well.  Well done to whoever's finished Chemo recently, CK, Mellylew and JoG - and great that your tumour is now the size of a pea, JoG, such good news to know that this treatment is working... 

So glad to hear that your surgery went OK, Ali, rest well and heal over Christmas.  Good too that you're doing OK on your new treatment, Sib, hope it continues - I know what you mean about coping with the emotional side of BC treatment going on for so long - realised that this is my 10th month now since starting in March.

Hope all is going well for the rest, HelenP, Sue58, Mishy18, Fairy, Xena, maHjfarn and anyone else I have forgotten.  Hugs to you all xxxx

Ali S

Merry Christmas August ladies. Hope you all manage to have a good time xx
Sib

Hi ladies. Just to wish you all a Merry Christmas. Xxxxx
Butterflyflyfree

Well done Ali. Hope you can enjoy Christmas and heal well. Xx

CK

Well done with a successfyl op Ali. Now plenty of rest and let everyone else do the work.xx
JoG83

Hey lovelies,

Ali I’m so glad the operation went well. Rest up well!!

Xena, I totally get that the mind runs overtime but it’s also worth getting it checked just to put your mind at peace.

Wishing all you amazing and brave ladies a Merry Christmas and a 2018 where we continue to kick cancer in the butt
Jo xx
Mishy18

Morning ladies just wishing you all a very happy Christmas with your loved ones 💖🎄
Ali S

Morning all. All went well with my op yesterday and my surgeon was happy that she got what was left of the lump out and the clip. An anxious wait now for results and fingers crossed that the remaining lump she removed was dead cells. I managed to sleep last night but I'm very sore this morning. Hope all of you ladies are feeling well today xx
Sib

Hi Xena, i would definitely mention your concerns to bc nurse or oncologist. I think we will all ve scared when we get any niggle or pain but i think we really should get it checked out. I self diagnosed my breast lump (wrongly) as hornonal due to my age as it was sore!
Please get things checked, you have come to far to allow nigglles to worry you. Xxx
Xena75

So nice to hear some positive stuff happening, chemo finishing for some, rads beginning!

I am officially celebrating the last day of my last three week cycle today, woohoo!!!

I have had a planning CT scan already, but they want me to go in for another as they think breath hold technique may improve results for me (my tumour was left breast and quite deep - all about the angles apparently) So, rads are now delayed until the new year, but I can live with that if it improves things. 

Im having a few niggling thoughts though and wondered if you think I should mention them to anyone and to who?

For a few weeks I've had a tight right calf, no heat to the skin so have ruled out a blood clot, naturally though I keep returning to the thought it could be, would you mention this to anyone? 

Also, this week my right shoulder joint has started aching, kind of feels a bit like a dead arm. Again logically I'm thinking this is because I'm carrying stress, however compleatly illogically my brain keeps running the scenario it's mets.

i feel like I've gone a bit crazy and am going to turn every niggling twinge into something awful. Trouble is, with my breast cancer, I never found a lump or had a symptom...it was a niggling thought about something not feeling right when I got up in the mornings (boobs felt a bit heavy-like when you take your bra off at night, and that wasn't normal for me when I got up) that lead me to go to GP. She sent me to breast clinic for "peace of mind" as I'd been worrying for a good few weeks (even though she found no lump either) and here I am!

so I guess I'm wondering when is the right time to listen to your niggles and how do you not come across as a hypercondriac?!!

Mishy18

Sorry i meant hair is coming back x
Mishy18

Evening ladies I'm doing rads noe had my 11th session today finish on 9th jan due to Xmas and new year!! Sue my rads started 5 weeks after last infusion day and apparently thats a normal time to wait my onc recommend between 4 and 6 weeks after infusion but it all depends on your treatment plan!
So rads, im starting to feel tired now as expected skin is quite pink but have cream for that gel stuff incase it itches to avoid breaking skin gair is coming back too!!!
Hope you all feeling well and getting over SE x
HelenP

Hey August ladies!
Day 4 of radiotherapy this morning, 16 to go! It’s all good, just have to lie on the xray table and it’s all done in 10 mins. No side effects yet, these kick in after 7-10 days I hear. Radiographer says it’s mostly fatigue, like I need an excuse for an afternoon nap!! I was totally wiped out after 1st session...think I’m prob still getting over the chemo.
Sue58 - I started radiotherapy 3 wks after last chemo. The oncologist gave me the choice of diving straight in or waiting til the New Year, I just figured I wanted all treatment done with asap so I can on with recovering. Due to finish 18th Jan.
CK

Sue 58
Glad you have dates. At least you can prepare ypurself and fot things in b4. My op is on 22nd Jan and I asked surgeon if can have week b4 but he wants me to recover from chemo first....we all want to get on with it in our minds but our bodies are different. I think apps get bit slow due to staff having time off too which delayed my start til 4th Sept. In a way its good if not in any hurry. Have a good rest b4 we start again.xx

Great news JoeG
Now to enjoy the festive season.xx

Hope all other August ladies are getting through SE well and not overdoing it over this festiive season. Se've reached the end of chemo!!! Yay!!! But still more to go, so look after yourself and be merry.xxx
Sib

Good luck with op tomorrow Ali, will be thinking of you.
Doing ok SE wise on carboplatin/Herceptin, bit of nausea, lost 4 fingernails (but think that was dreaded T) and still numb fingers and toes. Main problem now is emotional, think treatment has been going on too long, mastectomy 29th June and chemo started 2nd August, so really expected to be finished by now but still 2 more chemo and 2 more ops.
However i am grateful for my treatment and our wondefful NHS, without them my outlook would be very very bleak.
Hope ypu are all doing well and have as good a Christmas as is possible. Xx
Sue58

Ali..I have an appointment 5th Jan to check plans and a bone density scan and then radiotherapy starts 8th Jan... (wish it had been the week earlier..!!)
which seems a long time since my chemo finished 3 and a half weeks ago..but xmas and new year have delayed my radiotherapy somewhat...how dare it..lol.. plus my hospital just seem to be slow at getting appointments done..lol
Hope your op goes ahead ok on Friday Ali....will cross fingers xx
Well done jog83 that is some shrinkage...!!!
Mellyew well done on completion of chemo...such a good feeling.

Sib..how are you doing?

Helen how have you got such an early radiotherapy appointment start..you lucky thing..hope it went ok for your first one yesterday ? xx
Hugs ladies xxx
Ali S

That's really great news Jo. Are you having surgery next?

Well done on getting to the finish line CK . I hope your SEs are minimal this time.

Sue, when do you start your radiotherapy? I'm interested in what happens at the planning appointment as will be having mine in January xx
JoG83

Hey girls!!

Just got back from my ultra sound scan!!
Drum roll.... we are now the size of a pea!! Flipping miracle!!!

Dancing right now.
Sending loads of hugs
Xx
Sue58

Well done CK on your last chemo..hope side effects are good for you over xmas...
I have my CT scan and tattoos tomorrow afternoon for radiotherapy..my first tattoos..!!!

Hope everyone is good ? Hugs to you all xxx
CK

Ring a ling a ling, CK is back!!!!! Last cycle done yesterday! Phew!!!
This one was a special one not only because last but my daughter came with me and hasn't been able to come to the other 5.
Herceptin jab was painless too! I took my own bell in as they dont do it at my hospital! Had my 3 course lunch!
Also presented a cheque to MacMiilan Support for £2000! Now lets hope the least side effects so I can enjoy a few weeks b4 my op on 22nd January to take away lymph nodes and clear margins.

Ive been busy cramping 3 weeks into 2 as the first week I always need to rest up. Last Friday we had our Xmas party and raised £1000 for the local cancer centre I've been attending. Then been working on other nights as had Xmas parties in!

Not a lot to do for Xmas as everyone understands I haven't been shopping amongst the crowds and colds out there! Im going to have a quiet one recovering. Daughter will go to grandparents and dads and I may go to friends for food and fall asleep! Merlot the cat will get his fair share of Turkey😾

Thanks Sue 58. Just going to rest up now and hope you and all other ladies are doing well.

A few weeks recovery rime b4 I have my op on 22nd January.

Nap time now😴😴😴

JoG83

That’s such good news Mellylew!! Step by step were showing cancer who’s boss!! Hope radio goes well too! Like you say compared to chemo, you’ll nail it.

I’ve got my post chemo ultra sound today eek!! I can’t feel the lump at all now. It was the size of an egg when I started chemo!! Then they’ll decide what surgery to do.

Sending lots of love, hugs and cheers to you all!! You’re all doing incredible! I love reading these posts as it keeps me going.
Love jo x
Mellylew

Hi there ladies,
Hope you are all doing well. I had my last chemo (Docetaxol) 13 days ago. Don’t want to speak too soon but it’s been manageable so far apart from sore soles of the feet and red and blotchy hands! Had my surgery before chemo so Radiotherapy is next for me. Had my planning scan today and my tiny tattoo dots. Radiotherapy starts on 3rd Jan but in comparison to chemo I’m sure that will be a walk in the park!
The light at the end of the tunnel is in sight ladies and it will be for all of you as well.
Hope you all have manageable SE’s and are able to enjoy Christmas.
Here’s to a much healthier New Year for all of us!
Keep going ladies, you’re all awesome. X
HelenP

Yes Cathy, they say it stops friction!!!  lol!

Cathysid

Hope it goes well Helen. Cornflour in the bra???? Some new tricks to learn.
I’ve heard that it’s very manageable, but to expect to feel more tired from day 10 onwards.
Cx
HelenP

Here we go...radiotherapy starts today whoohoo (ish)! I’ve got the emolient cream ready and the cornflour for inside my bra...I’ve done lots of research! 08.45am appts for 4 wks, not looking forward to the daily early wakeup alarm but at least it won’t disrupt my days and I get the weekends off. Plenty of time for afternoon naps!
Wish me luck August ladies. One day at a time.
Cathysid

Hi Ali,
I will be having a guide wire put in before surgery too. Amazing you’ve had a complete response to the chemo and the lump cannat be found! Hope all goes to plan on Friday xxx
Ali S

Hi ladies. So it was good news, bad news, good news today. The bad news is that my surgeon messed up and didn't call me for a post chemo ultrasound. After they managed to find a machine today she did the ultrasound but couldn't see the clip clearly enough so the operation was cancelled. I will need a guide wire inserted using the mamogram machine before surgery. Anyone else had that done?
The good news is that she thinks I've had a complete response to the chemo and that's why she can't find anything on U S. She didnt think that I would as it had only shrunk a little at the half way point.
Also good news is that the new lump is a cyst, in fact that boob is full of cysts. This is a relief but also disappointing as we had hoped that, due to chemo induced menopause, they would stop. I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with the worry every time one appears.
So take 2 is hopefully on Friday. Breast clinic first for the wire and then dash over to another hospital for the surgery so we shall see if that goes to plan.

How is everyone else doing today? Hugs to you all xx
Sue58

Ali..good luck for this afternoon, you will be fine and as Jo said they will be able to check the new lump you have found..it sounds like a cyst...

Well done Jo and Cathy on your last chemos..hope the side effects are not to bad for you both..

Sib, hope things are going well for you too..Helen, fairy, Butterfly Ck, Mary-Kate, Xena, maHjfarn and anyone else I have forgotten..hope you are all well...

I'm 3 weeks since last chemo and am feeling much better as each day goes by, my side effects were much more manageable with my 20% reduced dose..as was chemo number 5 ... the only problem I have now is pain, numbness and tingling in my toes which started when I went on to docetaxel, which is common on this drug..its bearable so will hope it eases over the next few weeks..I've also got swelling in my ankles, lower calf, fingers and eyelids which I've had for 5 days now..I'm hoping its an,allergic reaction to cashew nuts which I had last weekend. I don't think its lymphedema, as I had a itch with a rash on both ankles (hives) and my arm where lymph nodes were taken from is not swollen... I have taken antihistamine tablets and will see if it makes any difference. If not it will be a visit to the doctors...!!
I've had a busy week last week, a visit from the girls I work with , sorting out christmas presents and shopping and although I'm feeling ok in myself I'm still very tired and finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning..I just want to stay all cozy and warm in bed..lol..

Good luck to everyone with chemo this week .. Butterfly..one more chemo to go !! You should notice a difference in reduced dose.... Sib..not too many more for you too..hope your doing better on the new regime? Hugs to everyone xx.
JoG83

Hi Beauts!!

I thought it had been quiet in here but my silly email stopped giving me notifications grrr lol!!

Praying that the operation goes well today Ali! Let us know how it goes.

Cathy - I feel you!! Hot flush but the rest of the body is cold! Its soo confusing lol. How are you doing?

I finished my last chemo last Tuesday so I’m Day 7 today and on the injections. Steroids are still keeping me up but I’m just grateful there’s no more chemo.
I’ve got my last ultra sound scan on Wednesday which will show the final result and give the surgeon an idea on what to do.

Whatever your Christmas looks like this year, I hope it’s a time of peace and good memories with family.

Lots of love
Jo xxx
Cathysid

Ali,
Hope today goes well- and hoping the new lump is a cyst. If so, it is good timing as they will be able to drain it while you are asleep. Fingers crossed, cx
Ali S

Hi ladies. So my operation is planned for tomorrow afternoon. On Friday I found another lump in my poorly boob. It's fairly big and painful and appeared quickly. I'm really hoping it's a cyst as I've suffered with them for 3 years but the last probable cyst turned out to be my tumour so I can't help being concerned. I'm trying to stay calm until I've spoken with my surgeon tomorrow xx