375970posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Ali S

Re: AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Hi Mary Kate. Hope everything went ok for you today. Sue, I'm doing ok today thanks. Really fuzzy head this morning but that has gone now. No more nausea thankfully.
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi

Mary Kate good luck for today x

Sib and Ali, how are we doing?

Sue xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Mary-Kate

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you've had quite a time with it all. How are you managing now?

For me, chemo wasn't too bad. I found the surgery more traumatic, even though it was relatively straight forward. So I admire anyone who has had to deal with what you have.

I can honestly say that chemo won't be as bad as you think. All the information that they give you prior to starting is overwhelming and I didn't remember half of what they said! Also they always give worse case scenario. Most of what they tell you, will hopefully not apply to you!

But take one day at a time and I'm sure you will be fine.

I didn't have a Picc line fitted, or use the cold cap, but there are other threads on the Chemotherapy section which does deal specifically with that.

Take it easy for the first couple of days when the fatigue sets in and take any medication given especially for sickness. Hopefully within a week, you will feel back to normal.

Please let us know how you get on and if you have any questions just pop them on here. There will be lots of ladies that will help and support as much as possible.

Best wishes for tomorrow.

Sue xx

Mary-Kate

Hi Ladies

I’m also an August starter.  I’ve been reading loads of posts on here over the past few weeks to help me try and get prepared.  I’m starting Chemo tomorrow with 6 cycles of EC-T.  Met the Chemo nurses today and also had a PICC line put in, a bit uncomfortable having it fitted, so I’m glad that’s in place now.  Decided I’m going to give the cold cap a go and see if it works, although I’ve seen mixed comments about it.

I had my diagnosis back in March and had a lumpectomy with lymph node clearance, but had complications with a haematoma and also breast cellulitis, which was not pleasant. Since then had 2 further re-excision op’s and ended up with a mastectomy at the end of June, so it’s been quite a challenge recovering from 4 lots of surgery.  

Feeling apprehensive now it's about to start and how it'll be coping with the side effects.  Also a bit overwhelmed by all the information and drugs I came away with, I suppose it's all part of entering this strange new world.  Just want to get on with it now, this waiting has been hard and it all feels quite surreal...

Sue C
Community Champion

That sounds like you're doing well Ali. Take it easy and let others look after you! Xx

Ali S

Hi Sib and Sue. Had a bit of a rough evening yesterday but was only sick once and had a much better nights sleep than I expected. Feeling better today but still taking it easy and managing to eat little bits and trying to keep up with the fluids. Hope you are doing ok Sib xxx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Sib

Sounds like you're doing well.

Yes, I was told there was a link with sickness in pregnancy too. I also think it depends on what chemo you have. I had TC chemo, not FEC, and wasn't sick at all. But for me, on the flip side, I didn't leave the house for a week because of the fatigue,. So to read you are walking the dog on day 3, I find amazing!! Well done you!

Sue xx

Sib

Morning Sue and Ali. I am doing better, still a bit nauseous before tablets are due but haven't been sick for over 24 hours now. Was very sick during my pregnancies and have been told that there does appear to be a link. But managed to eat a bit and drink plenty, plus had a small walk with the dog . Still can't believe I have this , 2 months ago I was 'normal ' no bc diagnosis. How quickly life changes and throws you into a world that seems so surreal! On the positive our wonderful nhs move so quickly and efficiently when you are diagnosed and we should be so grateful.
Hope you are doing ok today Ali, and thanks to you both for your support, it means so much. Xxx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi ladies
Ali I'm glad it went ok. The injections can be given by a community nurse if you're not keen. They're not great, I know, but very good to get your immune system up to par.
Sib how are you doing today?
Sue xx
Ali S

How are you feeling now Sib?
Sib

Glad you are doing ok. Keep drinking and resting. Xx
Ali S

Home now. It all went well and was very quick. Have all my drugs including the daily injections which came as a less than welcome surprise. Resting and hydrating now xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ali

Hope all goes well for you today. Let us know how you get on.

Sue xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Sam and welcome. 

Unfortunately no one wants to be in this club, but here we are and we try and support each other as much as possible.

I started chemo 6 weeks after surgery, which will probably be about the same for you ( apparently there is a 12 week window between surgery and follow up treatment ).

In practical terms, I learnt to prepare myself for the first week when I didn't feel up to much. I made sure the cupboards were stocked with food, all the washing and ironing was done, and the medicine cabinet was full with everything that I may need. 

Do you have children? If so, you may need help with childcare for that first week.

Also, have you considered what you will do regarding hair loss? I had long hair, so got it cut short before treatment started. Then when it started to shed, I used scarves. Some prefer wigs. Have you considered cold capping? There are other threads on here that deal with that, which is worth a read . Losing hair during chemo can be upsetting, but being prepared helps.

Hope all this helps. Please ask if you have any other questions. When you have your introduction to the chemo ward, the nurse will go through everything with you.

Best wishes

Sue xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Sib

So sorry to hear that. If you find those particular drugs don't work, there are others you can try. I think its a case of finding out what works for you . Keep the BC nurse or chemo staff informed. Don't be afraid to keep calling them if you need to. Keep up your fluid intake as much as possible, as this helps to flush the chemo from your body. And just snack wherever possible like crackers. 

Sending a hug xx

oggy

Hi if oral antisickness continue to not work well ask for suppositoreis. Not pleasant I know but it was the only thing that worked for me and they are easy to put in. They lasted for 12 hours each time which got me through the day. Good luck and remember the sickness will wear off and as previous advice to sam... live the two weeks inbetween cycles do what you can..it is worth it in the end

oggy

hi sam890. I had chemo 12 years ago now but face it again this month as my cancer has metastesised in my lung. My best advice would be to focus on each cycle get through the day and then the days after where you feel rubbish then you should have two weeks where you can get out and about see friends do the normal stuff. Think about each cycle as it conmes NOT how many cycles or how many months. Once you have started the thing isnt as scary. Losing your hair is upsetting but once it starts ....well to be honest its happened and you just get on with it. It does grow back and you save loads on hairdressers cost and time on washinh and styling it. Keep your chin up going through chemo bought me 12 glorious years where i have been able to watch my girls grow up. People survive breast cancer because of these harsh drugs.Good luck

Sib

Hi Sue, unfortunately didn't have great night been sick and nauseous most of night. Had to phone helpline who advised to take more anti sickness drugs. Hoping today will improve xx
Sam890

There are some clubs you dont want to join but this is one I find myself joining🙂. I have had a coulple of surgeries and have my ap with onclology next week. Found it a long wait from the last surgery on 30 June but guess they know best. Getting a bit apprehensive about chemo as it makes it all the more real. Guess I have just thought it is just a lump( well actually lumps and nodes!) and they get cut out and you are sorted. I think it may dawn on me when I start this next stage. Looking to get practical over the next week or so and get everything up to date then let friends and family take over again for a while. Is there anything that anyone can recommend to make life easier whilst on this journey?
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Sib

Glad you're feeling OK. Take it easy for the next couple of days.

Sue xx

Sib

Hope all.goes ok for you tomorrow Ali, will be thinking of you. X
Ali S

Glad it went well Sib. Hope you continue to feel ok x
Sib

Back home and so far so good. Nurses are brilliant. One down 5 to go!!! Got steriods and ant sickness to take and drinking plenty of fluids. Fingers crossed. Xxx
Sue C
Community Champion

Sib and Ali

Just to reassure you.....I never felt ill during chemo, just had a battle with fatigue. 

If you suffer with sickness at all, the nurses will be able to provide medication. Don't be afraid to take them!

Take it easy for a few days and allow others to look after you xx

Ali S

Hi Sib. Good luck for today, hope it all goes well. I'm the same, never ill and am dreading the side effects but it's great that we can support each other xx
Sib

Hi Ali , hope all goes well for you tomorrow, we can hopefully support each other through our treatment. Sending a hug . Xxx
Sib

Thank you. Had tour of oncology unit yesterday and staff were lovely. Got house as sorted as I can in case I'm not at full speed for a few days. I'm never ill so am dreading the side effects as I hate not being in control, however I have do do this to give myself the best chance for the future. Good luck everyone. Xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Sib

Hope it goes OK for you today

Xx

Emmadavies

Thank you Sue, I will look into the other avenues. Surgery was 4 weeks ago and I am waiting on an initial appointment with the oncologist to discuss treatment. I got married 2 weeks ago and have only just returned from honeymoon which my surgeon explained to the oncologist which is maybe why there is a delay with an appointment. Timing hasn't been too good really but has helped recovery after surgery. I just think I need to start treatment now and like you say take it day by day xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Emma and welcome to the forum .

I too had lumpectomy for grade 3 BC with no lymph node involvement, followed by chemo and rads. When did you have your surgery? For me, chemo started about 6 weeks after. There are many different types and the chemo will be tailored just for you. Let us know what they recommend.

Hair loss during chemo can be quite upsetting. I don't really know why....it just is. Some ladies try cold capping and there are other threads on here that talk specifically about that. You tend to lose your hair about 3 to 4 weeks after you start. I just managed with scarves during that time but others do try wigs. Try not to worry too much about that now. It all seems very daunting , I know, but maybe just take one day at a time. On a positive note, I found my hair grew back very quickly and was able to throw away those scarves 4 months after treatment.

Please feel free to ask any other questions. There will be many ladies on here who can help and support.

Sending a hug xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi fairy

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that you've found yourself here. I hope myself and the other ladies on here can help and support you as much as possible.

It is a really anxious time. Once you get your treatment plan, you will start to feel better. Let us know how you get on with the meeting and when you will be starting chemo.

Sending a hug xx

Ali S

Hi fairy. I was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago myself and am starting chemo this week then will have a lumpectomy then rads. Mine is Er and Her2 negative so different to yours but my oncologist did tell me that they do chemo first a lot more now so try not to worry. I was very scared when I was first diagnosed too. The lovely ladies on here will tell you things will get better and they do. I'm still a bit up and down but am starting to feel more prepared for the road ahead and in time you will too x
Emmadavies

Hi Sue
I am waiting for an appointment with an oncologist to discuss my treatment plan, it has been recommended by my surgeon that I should have chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy then herceptin. My diagnosis was 15mm grade 3 invasive ducal carcinoma with no sign in lymph glands. I have already had the surgery to remove the tuma and the diagnosis is based on these results. It's all happened very quickly but I am worried about the chemotherapy especially hair loss without sounding vain, can you give me any advice about this
Emma x
fairy

i only got dx today and looks like ill be starting asap before surgery. grade 3 er positive but still waiting for her2 results, im really scared this morning id been told lumpectomy 1st if not her2 positive now ive just been rung by bcn and told chemo first either way after meeting
Ali S

Hi Sue, thanks I just want it to be over and done now. Have my hubby coming with me for moral support and cups of tea x
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Ali and welcome.

Looks like you and Sib are going through it together!

So glad you feel prepared. And honestly it won't be as bad as you think. Do you have someone going with you? I always had my Mum with me for moral support and cups of tea!

Hope it all goes well for you on Thursday xx

Ali S

Hello. I am starting my FECT on Thursday. I am also dreading it, just the fear of the unknown and the possible side effects. I've had my tour and a meeting with my oncologist team today and they have answered all my questions so I feel prepared.
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Sib 

It's probably not going to be as bad as you think. The waiting is always the worse. Have you had a meeting with the chemo team? Is there anything in particular that you are concerned about?

For me, it was coping with the fatigue that was the hardest. You may find that you need to take it easy for the first week. Hopefully after that, you will be back to normal.

Its a good idea to keep a diary, so that you know what to expect during each cycle.

Make sure you are prepared before starting. For example, I made sure that the cupboards are stocked up, the washing was done and all medication was at hand.

Do you have family or friends that can give you support for the first couple of days?

Sue xx

Sib

Hi Sue, I start my chemotherapy FEC-T tomorrow and I dreading it.
Sue C
Community Champion

AUGUST '17 Chemo Starters

Hi Ladies

Thought I'd have a go at starting off this thread!

Welcome to all Ladies who are about to start their chemotherapy. I hope you find lots of advice and support here.

This is a surreal time for me, as I was going through chemo this time last year.

At times it was challenging for me, particularly in terms of fatigue, but most of the time I was fine. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help. Hopefully we will get lots of ladies on here to all support each other.

Sue xx