Anxiety with each infusion?

Hi all. I’m on my second infusion of four. I’m getting TC and cold capping. First round I was anxious, but this one I’m extremely anxious and emotional. I also had a huge shed of hair yesterday so that could be causing a lot of anxiety. Has anyone experienced anxiety with each infusion? Thank you all for your help! 

Hi Lselga

Sorry to hear your having anxiety, I had similar feelings, for me it was all around the blood tests and cannula’s. I have always been anxious around needles, that combined with very well meaning people sending me messages of support prior to each chemo really heightened my feelings but as I got more used to the routine, tolerating injecting myself with the immune booster jabs, the wonderful staff at the hospital, camaradarie of the other chemo patients and getting closer to the end this eased off each time rather than increasing.

If the feelings had not eased off I would have raised this with my medical team to ensure that I felt able to continue, that would be my advice to you, don’t be afraid to tell them how you feel, you will find support and solutions if you talk to them I am sure.

I hope you feel better soon

Love Helly

Hi

I’m sorry you feel so bad. I’ll share my story, if it helps:

I was in such a state that the oncologist arranged for me to visit the chemo suites and meet the team to talk some of my fears through. I suffer from a phobia for vomiting and panic disorder and I couldn’t have cared less about anything else but being sick! I was completely open about it. Result: a side room for my initial treatments to reduce the chance of being seen having a panic attack and a prescription for a good sedative to take just before each treatment. I felt completely normal (not sedated), never even felt sick and didn’t dread treatments, which was nothing short of miraculous for me. I have to be sedated for a filling!

I decided against the cold cap because I knew the discomfort would add to my anxiety and also the odds for preserving a good head of hair weren’t that great. I had a flattering buzz cut that survived all my chemo (including paclitaxel which, I was assured, would cause complete hair loss) and though it got sparser, I rarely wore my wig. I decided a short period of ‘defiant baldness’ was a small price to pay for health. Losing my eyelashes hurt me more. If you are anxious, you might reconsider the cold cap because it does prolong the treatment by hours and you can still lose hair, as you’re finding. But mainly, ask your team for help quickly. Ring the nurse you have as your contact and tell her how you are feeling. You may find they advise you to see your GP for an anxiety prescription - or they may have something ready for you when you arrive. “Extremely anxious” for a first treatment might be normal but not for the second treatment, when you know the ropes. That needs some help. You won’t be the first anxious patient, I’m sure. Just speak up.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Jan x

Hi peeps,

I have anxiety meds to take before each chemo. I don’t know if it works but it helps to think I’ve tried something! In my first chemo I locked myself in the loo because I had a nasty nurse who abruptly told me I had bad veins that needed soaking ( I didn’t know this meant a bowl of hot water!) When I came out some time later, I had the lovely ward sister looking after me and nasty nurse was nowhere to be seen. I’ve had four rounds now and it’s become a little easier each time.