63422members
333741posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Hope everyone is feeling chipper this morning. My hair cut seemed to take hours yesterday, but I'm quite pleased with end result and have had a few complements, so quite happy. I wish my chemo was starting today, just want to get going. I'm not the most patient person at the best of times.
Is everyone becoming neurotic about cleanliness? I'm making my kids wash their hands when they come home from school and I haven't even started the chemo yet! I think I will have to invest in industrial quantities of hand cream to stop my hands falling apart if I keep washing them at this rate.
My head scarf parcel still hasn't arrived, hoping today will be the day or I will be getting worried it's got lost in the post.
It's really comforting to hear that everyone is coping so far. We can do this. Role on August( she says impatiently)!

Morning all!
Glad you are starting to feel better Rosie
Good luck to all who are starting today. I have had ECG and am due to meet chemo sister this afternoon. I have the very tail end of a cold, it gets a bit better every day but is still there, so I am a bit worried I will not be able to start on Friday, but we shall see.
Loulou, hope your appointment with oncologist goes well and you feel happy with the treatment that is decided on
Wildpurl x

Well after a bit of a false start my bloods had dropped to 2.4 it needs to be 3 there was some backwards and forwards to see if it can go ahead and I'm hooked up to he water and the cold cap is on ! It is freezing ! Really cold, I know someone who used this and kept most of her hair, I'm not really sure I am that bothered at this stage, if you are having the old cap take a headband/sweatband for your hairline it will help. 15 mins in and you get used to the temperature a little but when it first goes on it is a shock !

So far I have had some emend anti sickness, four steroids, and a yellow anti sickness pill !

All the best Kirstie. I wish I had the line in as the candua (sp) in hand really hurt

Yes 1 down 5 to go. Re all the gear hope you left space for the drugs you will get today. NB I wrote on the boxes to make sure got it right. Be an old hand at it soon.
Community Champion

Hope all goes well keep busy! x

Well got through chemo no 1. Isn't it odd it was a lovely room and not busy but funny how although in same boat my partner and I sat together and while made eye contact didn't really speak to anyone. Think as I get to be a regular this will change and I feel comfortable speaking to others. Might look to suggest a reading group - as in general life never have time for this

Drugs I went to the doctor today to get a number of things on prescription I have read in forums that could be useful etc. He did not seem to keen Q can I request things from the oncologist when I have more symptoms ?

Had wig referral also yesterday think my partner and I are def past the no makeup stage lol

Best to all

Hi everyone, sorry only just getting to reply, didn't get home til 10pm last night, had the line fitted all went well it was no problem at all, went in well and ECG all fine. I had a temp and low blood pressure though so they tested my blood as well and I had to wait looks like i did have a bug rather than me getting myself into a state which is good as hat makes me feel better somehow lol, as my appointment meant wasn't until 6pm in the first place it, I was there late with all the faffing.

So as I write this I am sat in the hospital waiting to be hooked up for my first dose, so by the end of today here will only be five more to go ! I have just tried on the paxman and it doesn't look as big and bulky as I nought but its not been turned on yet lol. I have brought snacks, a laptop, kindle, scarfs, I think they think I'm moving in - I was in the brownies .... Lol maybe next time I will bring less !

Good luck to everyone who is starting chemo today i am thinking of you and well done Rosie you are rocking this so far, we plan to move abroad one day I'm feeling Cyprus envy ;0) xx

Hi ellie47

How did you get on, can you start tomorrow?  I am going for my wound check today to see if I can start, fingers crossed xxx

Fantastic rosie, well done, Smiley Happy onwards and upwards hopefully until the next round xxxxx

Good luck suzie, thinking of you, as soon as your well enough,  let us know how you get on..... ((((hug)))) xxx

Thanks Rosie I'm still feeling quite chilled about it all. Glad you're feeling better. Xxx
Community Champion

Day 6 feeling much more human, eating very well, good appetitie, thought I would put on weight not working, walking dog etc but thank goodness haven't done- if anything I have lost a pound! Good luck to all you ladies starting chemo today and tomorrow! xxx

Community Champion

Good luck Tlj63 with chemo on Friday stay positive. The scarves sound exciting! x
Community Champion

Good luck Eam28 thinking of you today stay positive! x
Community Champion

Good luck Suzie stay positive you are right to think of the chemo zapping the cancer cells. I had a cannula went in no probs. Be thinking of you! x

Yep defo agree suzie68 - that's exactly how I'm feeling about it all too! One of the nurses said today that ive been very positive & seem to be taking it all in my stride - what else can you do?! & like u say all the treatment is to throw at it all & zap it bloomin away!!
Hey Ellie 47,I start my chemo Thur too. I've had a 5wk hold up as my harm has been filling up with fluid so keeps needing to be drained but its not infected so should be able to go ahead now & we were also waiting to get fertility advice xxx

Hi all, I'm due to start Thursday 3/4, have pre assessment tomorrow and also wound check as it's not fully healed yet. Bit worried because I've had infection in site of gland removal under arm and it's taken 4 weeks to get clear and 3 lots of antibiotics!! Anyone had similar problems? I love everyone's positivity.....just my style ladies.....wait to hear from you all and thanks in advance.

Hey all, I had my bone scan results and my bloods done this morning and all good to go for chemo tomorrow. Showed me the wards and looks as I expected Im feeling really chilled about it all at the moment and am just going to imagine that chemo zapping any bad cells rather than focus on the other stuff. Quite honestly I am looking forward to a few days off sick!
Sounds like you are doing well Rosie, that's such great news. Kirstie did you get you line put in? I asked today and will just have cannula in hand unless there is a problem which is what I had previously imagined.
Eam,rose and nibbles sound great, I am about to have a glass of sauvignon since Im sure I wont fancy one for a while and nobody has told me not to, Lou hope your appoint goes well tomorrow. Ti63 goods luck for Friday.
We can do this ladies, we are strong amazing women who are on a unique journey, ok its not the one anyone would have picked but a journey all the same. This time next month I could behalf a stone lighter, have an extra 45 mins every morning because I wont have to worry about my hair and my eczema could have cleared up and that's what Im gonna focus on. xxxx
Community Champion

We have lived in Cyprus for 5 years! The sun does help although of course won't be able to do any lying about in the sun this year! Good luck with your line Kirstie 77!

Hi all! Haven't had chance to come on here! We've all got so many appointments & things to get done before chemo haven't we?!
Thanks loulou1262 my bcn has never mentioned any kind of help so I'll ask her & was going to ring MacMillan as well soon - another job on the list! Do you know if you can go ahead with chemo yet?
Auw you sound like your doing really well rosie14!Smiley Happy. I was really tired after both wle's so god knows what I'm going to be like! I expectv the nice weather in Cyprus is helping? & hopefully your grandchildren will keep you entertainedSmiley Happy
Hope you're feeling better kirstie77? So did they put a line in today? I went to have mine put in and it wouldn't go in Smiley Sad they tried 4 times so think I'm going to be pretty bruised later! So they are going to put a canula in on Thur and then hopefully get a line in ready for 2nd dose. So just had zoladex injection and bloods taken today. The nearest lgfb session is 2hrs drive away from me so think I'll be giving it a miss too! Yes I don't think I'll read mummy's lump very often - it makes it all 'real' especially as youre reading it out loud! My little girl isn't old enough to take it all in & ask questions anyway. The drunken night is needed! We need to let our hair down (whilst we still can!). My friend came round sat night for a culpa & a catch up which turned into most of my friends - we hit the rose,nibbles & had a giggleSmiley Happy much needed! Good luck for tomorrowSmiley Happy & suzie68Smiley Happy
XxX

Hi Rosie,

I love Cyprus it's beautiful, have you lived there long? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the jargon, we get that much info thrown at us it's hard to keep track.

I think your right and I may be getting myself in a bit of a panic, I'm not the most patient of people so all this waiting is hard, right time to sort myself out !

I will let you know how I get on with my line, is everyone having the cannula ?
Community Champion

My wound wasn't completely healed and they started me, so hopefully you will be ok.I had a problem after the biopsy which held me up a week. I had the biopsy March 13th and chemo started on March 27th.
Community Champion

Puzzles, computer, TV short walks little light jobs around house, sleeping and eating! Hope all goes well with you. I like you have private health care here in Cyprus so I don't understand a lot of the jargon used on the forum. I had a cannula- they didn't offer anything else. Also no mention of cold caps here. I am not sure I would want the added ordeal . As you say in the scheme of things loosing your hair is not the most important thing. Do hope you are feeling better today do you think you have got yourself in a bit of a state? It's hard not to. Try to take some calming deep breaths if you feel yourself getting in a panic. You take a day at a time! x

Hi ladies,

Well I went wig shopping yesterday and they were really nice, I have settled for a bob style it was okay and looked natural but the closer it gets to starting chemo the less fussed I am about losing my hair and I really dont like being cold ! the woman at the wig shop said to take a scarf for your kneck if you have the cold cap as the pipe comes down there and its handy to have something to keep it off our kneck.

I went to my nieces 3rd birthday party at the weekend and spent most of yesterday being sick, had to pull over on the way back from the wig shop and lean out of the car !! so I'm feeling really fed up today, I have managed a biscuit and am going to try some toast in a bit I'm going to have to tell them tonight when I go in for my line, I hope it doesn't put things back.

I asked for the cannula instead of the PICC line and was told they don't do the cannula as with each round it becomes harder to find a vain and that way you have to deal with less needles ? So I didn't get a choice either but the other way round.
I have private health care with work so maybe thats why it's different ? It's good in one way to be private but its very isolating as I don't get to really meet any one, and for any help you have to go off and find out yourself. ill also be in a room on my own having chemo which is why this forum is such a saviour, bizarre really I get healthcare but only get paid stat sick !

Well done Rosie day 5 and your doing well, how are you spending your days ? I'm worried about the boredom x
Community Champion

It's the start of the journey towards recovery and it has to commence. The fear of the unknown is the worst and hearing horror stories that are fortunately not usual! I began with a good hair cut as I figured it wouldn't be so drastic when it fell out. The oncologist said it was more likely to happen after the second session.

Well done Rosie, you sound like your coping really well. I'm going for my pre chemo radical hair cut today. Hoping everyone will get used to my new cropped look over the next couple of weeks before my hair falls out. I was offered the use of a cold cap but I hate being cold so decided not to bother even giving it a go. I am waiting for a parcel arrive with a few funky scarves in after I hit the internet last week.
Chemo starts on Friday. I feel like I am waiting to start a new job. That feeling of apprehension about doing something for the first time, but knowing you have got to get through it and then in a few months hopefully you will look back and realise it was all ok.
Community Champion

Morning everyone day 5 and the worst thing is the tiredness I am like a hamster I will be sitting in the chair and fall asleep for 30 mins at a time! Really wanted to watch Homes under the Hammer yesterday and missed the middle part completely!

Good luck everyone starting this week, take a day at a time and keep eating little and often and drink lots of soft drinks. I can only drink tea in the morning and evening no coffee its rather like being pregnant all over again. The joys of womanhood!!!! Remeber you are not alone we are all on this board because we all share the same problem -United we stand !!!!!! xxxx

Hi everyone

Rosie, hope you are ok and your symptoms are not too bad...Hi Whirlpool,  sorry to confuse but no, they have decided on fec × 6 if my second node is a micromet and 6×tac if its a macro (over 2 mm), will find out weds. I was concerned that it was just the fec when I had node involvement,  but on speaking with the bcn she said its not just about node involvement but the way the cells were growing, if there was any vascular invasion, there wasn't.  I suppose I will just have to trust my onc, he has over 30 years experience. 

Booked for my hair cutting to shoulder length before I start the cold cap and going to visit a wig shop in Leeds next week to get some ideas incase it fails. Found a great product for roots if anyone has the dreaded grey!!

http://www.feelunique.com/brands/color-wow?aff=mrn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=colour%...

Good luck with the line tomorrow kirstie and let us know how it goes. Have you requested it as my bcn said I wouldn't be offered anything unless I had problems with my veins.

Fingers crossed my wound is closed Wednesday so I can crack on,

Take care everyone xxxx

Community Champion

Good luck make sure you eat and drink plenty of soft drinks lol! Also they will give you some anti nausea tablets do take them I didn't the first day but I did yesterday and they made me feel so much happier! Good luck with wig shopping. x

Hi everyone,

How are you doing Rosie, I contacted the website and I'm getting a full long thing sent to me so that's good, I'm also going to a shop near me tomorrow or a full wig fitting which is good I want to get it sorted, I have also bench marked a few on the simply wigs website , so once I know what suits me I can order x I should know what a wle is I had one before the mastectomy lol !! I haven't hidden mine at all I talk quiet openly about it, this shocked people at first but now it's all good and I don't have to pretend, I have no pros-tithes and didn't want one yet, and the only people I need to worry about is me and my family x I find it easier to post updates to my just Giving page as I don't need to tell everyone individually, or I do a one text update to everyone one and say I'm turning my phone off now x

EAM I also got the mummy lump book, made me cry but I decided I'm not going to use it, my son knows everything in very simple terms ( i had bad bits i had to have cut out, now I have to have some medicine and it will make me poorly, and my hair may fail out, but explained this without using the word cancer, we have experience of cancer and I do not want him to be scared, but we all know our own children and they are all different x my child it about to turn 8 x
I googled for the local McMillan number, I am on sat sick too, but I wasn't entitled to anything as my husband works and we own out own house (mortgage) !! I had a word with work and asked if I can work from home for 2 days a week and they said yes so that will help - food may have to on credit card but rest should be okay we are almost 2k per month down but there isn't much help for us ! McMillan helped and we got a £300 grant which is the highest amount you and get and they were brilliant - go in though as I didn't get much help from web ! Finances have been a nightmare for us too x

The lgfg workshop is not near me :0(

I went out or a few drinks on Friday night, drank far too much ended up on the kids play equipment in the garden, a very funny night but completely inappropriate ! I could have really hurt myself ! Was fun though ;0)

So wig shopping tomorrow, line in on Tuesday and ECG, chemo on Wednesday - busy week ! Feel very nervous !

Xx
Community Champion

Yes I had lunch on chemo ward just before I had chemo I wasn't going to but the oncologist said I could. I think it is better to eat little and often!

Good morning everyone, Rosie you are doing so well, an excellent start for us In April and I am very glad to hear that you are feeling OK. I do think you are right it will be best to keep thoughts off possible side effects and have something else to focus on.

Suzie, I haven't told many people about my diagnosis either, for similar reasons. Now I am going to have chemo I am telling a few more though.

Loulou, I am also having FEC-T, 3 cycles of each. I had micromet in the sentinel node and a level 1 axillary clearance with no further nodes affected. My cancer is ER+ 6/8. I was offered the chemo as it further reduces the risk of recurrence for me by about 5%, and I decided that was worth while. The oncologist told me that FEC-T was probably more than I really needed, but that he considered it to be the gold standard of adjuvant chemo, and he preferred to give that.

From what you said it seemed as though you had been going to have all FEC and now they are thinking of giving you all T, is that right? Or is it now FEC-T where previously it was only FEC?

To whoever asked about the Look Good Feel Better session, I think it was Kirstie, there is a place called the Fountain Centre at my hospital, which does complementary therapies, has a nice comfy seating area where you can get coffee or tea and chat, and it also does LGFB. It was also where I went to try on wigs, a lady comes there once a week. I was chatting to another lady while I was waiting and she told me I could book on LGFB there, so I did it right away! Maybe there will be something similar at a hospital near you?

Have a good weekend everyone, the weather is lovely here, hope it's the same for you.
Wildpurl x

Rosie so glad you're feeling ok and the se have not been too bad, did you eat before the chemo? I'm sure it's probably better to eat than not? Kirstie WLE is a wide local incision (lumpectomy) and snb is sentinal node biopsy. Well done in your fundraising that is amazing, I haven't written my fundraising page yet for the breast cancer walk, partly because my diagnosis is not common knowledge although quite a few people do know. I just got sick of saying it to be honest and I don't really want people to treat me differently. I will man up though this weekend and create my page as nobody can donate if they don't know! Have a lovely Mothers Day tomorrow all great news on the grant front oh and I finally got my period btw xx
Community Champion

Still ok ladies went to bed at 9.30pm last night got out 4 times to toilet but it was only the liquids that they had pumped through me the day before so that's acceptable! I am finding it best to eat little and often if you feel just a lttle possibly imaginery pang of nausea it takes it away! Try to keep your mind off side effects starting and have a goal for the day. Not cleaning the house from top to bottom though!!! I am finding puzzle books good. Hubbie is being very supportive at mo and cooking and washing up and I am making the odd cup of tea and feeding the dog. I am lucky I am 58 and my 3 children are all grown up with partners and grandchildren. I take my hat off to you all dealing with children at home and do wish you all the very best for your treatment and that it will be gentle on you. Remember ladies this is not for ever we can get through this time in our lives !!

Hi Ladies

Hope all is well... I've had one of those run away train days ( as my hubbie calls them) This is when every niggle or pain I feel in my body, even if it only lasts 2 secs, goes back to my cancer. Hope these days diminish in time as tbh I do my own head in !!!! Anyway, hope you are ok Rosie and the SE are not too bad, just think, you will be the first to finishSmiley Happy

On the financial front my BCN has told me when I visit next week she will give me a macmillan grant form to fill in which is available to everyone. Both myself and husband work and we will still qualify, ask your BCN as any financial help is better than none.

Having nice glass of red tonight, cheers xxx

Thank you x

Hi EAM

Here's the link to the Macmillan website where you can find the financial support details:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/HowWeCanHelp/FinancialSupport/FinancialSupport.aspx

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi kirstie77, yes I suppose I am a spring chicken! You are young too dearSmiley Happy. Well done you for planning to do the race for life! My mum,two sisters & two nieces are doing it this yr too - hopefully I will join them next yr!Smiley Happy. This may sound silly but how did you get in touch with a MacMillan nurse for financial advice? I am currently on 8 months stat sick pay ( I was advised not to work through due to risk of infection as I am a support worker for adults with learning disabilities). My husband is now working away on a job to get extra money for us - just when I need him the most! Xx

Hey Rosie14, I'm glad its gone well for you so far! I spoke to a girl that lives near me today - she had chemo a few yes ago & said she felt fine afterwards so cleaned the house from top to bottom then felt awful! Keep us updated (if u feel like it). This time next week I will just have had mineSmiley Happy xx

Hi loulou1262, I am having 6 sessions of chemo every 3wks. It will be FEC for fist 3 then T along with herceptin for the last 3. I hope you get a start date soon. I hope they still go ahead with mine - my arm has been filling up with fluid ever since surgery so has been drained 4times but my nurse said as its not infected hopefully they can still go ahead. My little girl hasn't got a clue what's going on which is prob a good thing. Think she'll notice soon enough thoughSmiley Sad. My oncologist gave me a book to read to her called 'mummy's lump' - might be good for your 9 yr old? Or he may find it babyish? I'm just not looking forward to my little girl going from pillar to post as she's not old enough to go to pre school or school everyday. She will keep me busy if I feel up to it though!xx

Thanks Rosie I have put in a request thanks for that, have you got a hat for your head then or a scarf I may have to find a hat :0) good alternative and worth a try x
Community Champion

Thanks Kirstie!
Take a look at Heather's Hair website hairpieces made with real hair especially made for cancer patients You pay P&P and make a donation. They have sent one out to Cyprus to me!

Hi Rosie
Yeahhhh - good to hear from you glad all went well x

Hey Suzie thanks for the link I will have a look into that x I really need to get a wig sorted but feel like I'm running out of time ! I asked about the injections I will be having them 24 hrs after the chemo they are called nylasta ?! I think ?!?! it depends where you are being treated I think. One dumb question, what is your WLE and snb ?

I have signed up to do the race or life, I have raised £1125 already and some of my friends are doing it too, we have set up a group called breast friends and have raised over £2500 - That's 5k but my nurse said I may not have the energy but could be pushed in a chair if not though I have to be careful immune system.....etc

Hi tlj63 welcome to the gang :0) my little boy has been surprisingly good about it all though I haven't been having any meltdowns in front of him and I haven't told him its cancer, just that I have had bad bits that need o be removed and I'm going o have one horrible medics that might make my air all out but will make me poorly. He was okay with it all except the hair, he cried and said I don't want a bald mummy, that broke my heart but I said it would be okay I'd get a wig !!

I am gong to try the paxman cold cap, apparently the cap s the worst bit and most people give up after the second round, BUT I have been speaking to someone who didn't and she still has her hair, she lost a bit and had one little patch at the back which fell out but you couldn't notice as she had long hair ...... Everyone is different ;0)

Hi EAM28 - wow your a spring chicken, I think you might be the youngest of us so far, I'm 37 (just last month), I have had 2 operations too its like a whirlwind isn't it ! The more I read on here the more the "this happens to older people" I find is just plain not true ! I still class myself as young btw lol !

Loulou, the more I read from you the more I think we are the same lol !

I have still not been to the dentist, and I'm due to have my PICC Line fitted and my ECG on Tuesday ........
Highlighted
Community Champion

Have posted above all well so far thanks ladies!
Community Champion

Hi everyone just to say I had my first chemo session yesterday was bricking it! It went as well and I got through the night without any side effects so just hoping I don' tget delayed sickness I can cope with any of the other symptoms. Hope this will encourage all of you April starters. I joined Apirl becaause March aer on their second round!

Thanks loulou that does make sense pod to know I'm 'normal' whatever the hell that us these days! Lol xx

Hi Suzie

I was regular as clock work as well but went 6 weeks between my last periods, bcn said it was stress related.x

Hey ladies I have a random question I had my WLE and snb on 12 feb and haven't had a period since, I am regular like clockwork every 21 days, sometimes even sooner, periods for the last few years have been totally horrendous and now nothing, haven't started chemo or tamoxifen yet, has anyone else experienced the same ? Sx

Hi Ladies

Looks like we all share the same concerns,  I too am really concerned about my boys seeing me really ill. I have also had two surgeries and was not that bad afterwards, well not as bad as they expected! I initially told them I would be poorly whilst I recover and I think they think the worst is over, I keep having to gently remind them that I will be ill again (Hopefully not too bad!!)..Have any of you decided to use the coldcap? Eam28 do you know what chemo you are having? Im ready to start just waiting for my wound from haematoma to completely close, nearly there, should be starting two weeks tomorrow.

Wonder how Rosie got on, hope your ok

Take care everyone

Louise xxx

Hello Girlies! I am starting chemo on the 3rd April. I was diagnosed 23rd Jan with invasive ductal, grade 3, her2 & ER positive. Have had two operations & now ready to take on the next stage! I am 28, married with a 20month old little girlSmiley Happy xx