74.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Wildpurl

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Morning everyone, I felt awful yesterday evening, completely wiped out and no energy, but have had quite a good nights sleep and feel a lot better this morning. Like you EAM I think I don't feel so bad this time around as I did the first time, but still going to take it easy. My appetite is better this time too.

My mother in law passed away last Tuesday and the funeral is a week today, Saturday 3rd May. I will be travelling up by car on Thursday morning, with OH driving, his parents live near Glasgow so a long journey and we return on Sunday. I am a bit apprehensive but think I will feel OK and if Rosie can fly from Cyprus to UK then I guess I can make it to Scotland from SE England!

Hope everyone is doing OK and have good weekends.
Suzie68

Morning EAM, I have no idea why I am awake because I did loads yesterday, maybe I'm a bit over tired. Hair pretty much mine existent and seriously look like cancer patient without cap, well and with cap to be honest lol. Still haven't worn my wig and don't think I will, it just doesn't feel right for me. Hope you are all feeling well and get to enjoy the weekend. I'm going to have a go at making the 'go' cake today before things get too bad, thanks fir posting booklover saves me searching for it again sxxx
EAM28

Good morning ladies,Had round 2 Thur so felt awful in the night again - think it was ever so slightly better than last time but not much! Picked up a bit better yesterday,managed to eat & have a nap. Just having a little glass of milk & a rich tea biscuit now. Roll on day 6!
Books & wine the only scalp care I was given from my hairdresser was to apply a moisturizer with a really high SPF in. And think I typed in on the bcc search bar for a bit more info.
Glad your doing okish after round 2 Suzie 68. How's the hair goung? Mines been getting a bit dry & was a bit sore Thur but not since.
Well done Joan 47 getting you're hair shaved! Bet you feel better for it & wow if you went au natural for round 2!
Hope you're feeling better after the injections ashley97? But glad the chemo was OK for you)
Glad you had a nice time away Rosie 14. I am her2 positive too so will be on herceptin for a year starting on my 4th chemo I think. You've not had much chance for it to sink in have you bless you. But like wildpurl says the herceptin will target the her2 receptor & stop it from growing & will reduce the risk of cancer returning. I don't think there are any more s/e's than we get from the chemo - just that they will monitor you're heart regularly.
Hope everyone else doing well,catch up soon xxx
rosie14

Hi Joan glad you are feeling a little better. It was just the once I had the leak in hospital attached to the drip so it made it more difficult to get sorted on time! I have noticed the urgency to go in the first 3 days in particular and the old pelvic floor exercise will not work until after day 7! Hope you enjoy the weekend. x
joan47

Booklovertoo. I became allergic to the first type of plaster and developed blisters. Now changed to a different type and all OK so far. Thanks for looking up the recipe for GoCake. This time I may need it. 

Booksand wine. re scalp care I was given a very useful little booklet by the hospital information centre produced by an organisation called Cancer Hair Care. It's called 'the helpful little directory of hair loss products, tips and services' which does exactly what it promises. They have a web site www.cancerhaircare.co.uk

Ashley, so sorry you are having such a rough time. I hope you feel better soon. 

Rosie, I'm Having to rush to the loo to wee every half hour, for not much output, but fortunately so far made it on time.

Suzie. My hospital does routinely give injections to boost the white cell count. Every day for 7 days. I'm on Zarzio. 

Last time around I felt reasonably OK for the first couple of days but this time absolutely knackered. Spent virtually whole day in bed feeling very wobbly.  Now managed to have something to eat and feel a bit better, hence able to get on computer. Unfortunately I can't get wireless in my bedroom and find it too irritating on the phone. But now, at last, worked out how I can reply and see all the messages at the same time. So don't have to fire off separate replies. 

rosie14

I have had to result to a headscarf and a sun hat as my hair is now very thin and has bald patches. Felt a bit silly going in the supermarket with a sunhat on felt like a tourist! The only good thing is I can hide under it if I see anyone that I don't wish to meet!!!

Glad all went for you Wildpurl. I know what you mean about just getting back to feeling normal and then bang. I felt pysically sick when I saw the bottle of red poison!

never mind we will be fine by Tuesday! I have 5 injections to do also.I feel like a junky!

Hope everyone manages to sleep well! x

Wildpurl

All went smoothly with the cannula this time and it only had to be put in once. I did the cold cap again and the nurse said I had quite a lot of hair left which was nice to hear.

Loulou, glad you are starting to feel better. Last time I was anxious about the unknown, but this time I found it really hard, having got back to feeling normal, to know that I was going to feel tired and not normal again. Anyway, another one done.

I have five injections to do again, although I tried doing them myself last time I didn't get on with it very well and so I have been able to arrange for my practice nurse to do them, apart from the first one which is on a Sunday, so the District Nurse does it. I haven't been prescribed any antibiotics as standard.

The Go Cake recipe is almost exactly the same as a recipe for bran loaf which my Mother In Law gave me a few years ago, and which is very nice. I will have to make one!
rosie14

Many thanks Booklovertoo I have purchased all the ingredients on the way home from hospital before the rot sets in later tonight. I have just taken 2nd nausea tablet of the day and waiting for it to take effect. It may be Sunday before I can make it Saturday is usually my very low day! Good luck to anyone going for round 2 next week enjoy your weekend! x
Booklovertoo

Morning Ladies, it works! Recipe for Go cake:-

4oz All Bran
5oz sugar
10oz mixed fruit (I used prunes, apricots and mixed fruit)
1/2 pint of milk
4oz SR flour
Mix All Bran, sugar and fruit in a bowl add milk mix and allow to stand for 1/2 hour.
Add SR flour, mix well, put into a greased 2lb loaf tin.
Bake in a moderate oven 180/Gas 4 for about an hour, if after 1/2 hour it's browning too much cover with foil (I forgot to check, it gave it a crunchy top which was quite nice)
Turn out of tin and cool although it's delicious hot with butter.
xx
Suzie68

Hey Lou glad you're feeling a bit better. My hospital don't give the injections as standard but my bloods hasn't recovered enough on Tuesday before round 2 on Wednesday so they gave me and injection then and I have yo inject myself for 5 days from Sunday and will need to do this each time now ( I'm on 3 weekly fec) they they gave me embed to help with extreme nausea and I felt fine on Wednesday but had cold sweats all of Wednesday night and felt dreadful yesterday but feel pretty normal today and am off to garden centre for some fresh air.

Hope everyone else who has had round 1 or 2 this week are doing ok xx
loulou1262

Hi everyone

Im day 8 now and feeling much more my old self, really struggled the first few days with nausea and fatigue. Tbh I slept on and off for the first 3 days...I didnt have any bone pain from the injection in my tummy on the second day and was only told to do it once, is anyone doing it daily. I am now on  two separate courses of antibiotics,  is that the same for everyone?  Rosie I think your on the same regime as me, TAC ? You are having yours every fortnight though while mine is 3 weekly. Having a spoonful of manuka honey every day to help with blood count and mouth issues, was advised to try and swill it round my mouth.

Take care

Louise xx

rosie14

Morning Wildpurl thanks for your comments. I have written down the recipe for go cake sounds scrummy my mum used to use All Bran to make malt loaf with when I was a child. I woyld rather deal with constipation naturally if poss. Hope your hot cross buns work! x
Wildpurl

Morning all, I think that being Her 2 positive is probably better than being triple negative Rosie, as you know there is a specific treatment that your tumour will respond to. People I have read about on these forums who had Herceptin did not find it too bad I think. At least you now know what the timescales are and more about what your treatment plan will be. I hope you feel better about things once you have had time to assimilate the new information.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the UK and that it went well 🙂

I have a stock of hot X buns in lieu of go cake, we shall see!

Wildpurl x
rosie14

Thanks Suzie x
Suzie68

Hey Rosie just search go cake in search bar and it comes straight up sorry can't copy and paste from phone it's got loads if dried fruit in which I hate but gonna make one and give it a go xx
rosie14

Hi Suzie this was the original biopsy fom March 13th! Hope you are battling along. x
Suzie68

Ah Rosie I'm sorry you've had a set back stay strong my love, was this a new biopsy they have done or from an old one ? Sorry can't help you with the go cake recipe but would find it useful myself, I would try and search it for you but also on phone as daughter has borrowed laptop will see if I can search it xx
rosie14

A very early. goodmorning from Cyprus. kirstie do hope you have a better time this session. I have been awake since 2.19 when my saline drip finished and the alarm went off! Have any of you noticed slight lack of bladder control in the first few days? By the time I had got to the bathroom I had a slight leak! The go cake sounds good where will I find the recipe. I need to catch up on all your threads om my laptop when I get home I find it difficult on the phone.I had the long awaited results from biopsy yesterday . The oncologist made an initial mistake as he was told on the phone it was negative he rushed back an hour later when he received. the fax saying it was Her 2 positve so I have to have heceptin! Still coming to terms with this . It will now delay surgery until late Aug early Sept Catch up with you all later. xxxxx
Booklovertoo

Joan, pleased you're feeling good about your number 3, you can buy a stick on stud for your nose keep the family guessing. I've just had a slice of Go cake and it's delicious, so easy to make, plenty of chopped prunes, apricots and mixed fruit. I'm now armed with lactulose too Kirstie so 'things' should be easier. Hope all goes well this afternoon Joan.
Ashley97, I had a funny sensation in my middle back only for a day though and the bones in my legs felt really cold after my injections.
Bumble girl, pleased your mum is doing ok. Hope she got the PICC infection sorted. I'm off to have blood taken and a flush in a mo, I actually can't wait to have the plaster changed as it's itching like mad.
Wildpurl, hope you get on ok tomorrow
Take care xx
joan47

Booksandwine. My hairdresser has trimmed and thinned my wig so it now looks much more like my normal cut. 

Ashley and Suzie, thanks for the suggestions about the scalp cap. I think I was given something like that with the wig so will try it. But tempted to go au natural for the chemo this afternoon. 

Glad you're back home safely Rosie and hope things continue going well Kirsty. 

Joan

booksandwine

Hi seeking some advice. Had my partner shaved my head this am as hair loss was huge yesterday. I don't feel like me. Originally I thought I could have gone short and donated ponytail but it was too short in hindsight I think a shorter cut would have been easier.

Q has anyone been given or have advice re scalp care.

Q wig I got mine trimmed yesterday but she did not thin. I will wear for a few days think I just need to get used to it but has anyone needed or had there's thinned.

Rosie glad your home safe. Kirsty glad things are better for you. Best to all
Kirstie77

Glad you are home safe and sound and the trip went well x

I had round 2 yesterday with a 20% reduction so hopefully I won't need a hospital stay this time :0)

The injection for my immune system which I have to do today is called neulasta, I just have the one injection

I also have some lactolose x
rosie14

Hi all safely back in Cyprus I am so glad I made the trip it was lovely to see two of my children and my grandchildren. i hastily stood up when my grandaughter decided to get the dolls hair brush to have a go at mine! It has gone very thin now and there are some bald patches. Off for session 3 chemo tomorrow. Oh well I know I will feel better by day 5. I am 2weeklys until May8. Hope you are all doing well with round 2 will catch up Friday. x
ashley97

Hi all hope everyone is ok, joan47 my friend found the same thing with her wig so she wore a wig cap like suzie68 said, she said it made it slightly hotter but no itching. Touch wood I didn't get too many side effects from the chemo, but by god I did from the immune injections, I had to inject for 5 days finishing yesterday. I got cold like symptoms, and very bad pains in bones mainly lower back, hips and legs. The pain in my back yesterday I can only compare to labour pain, but his morning all fine , it is very strange. Docs think I may be developing bronchitis so have put me on antibiotics for 7 days to try and help but temp is still up and have excruciating pain in throat and chest when coughing so think a visit to a & e might be in order. Good luck to everyone having round 2 this week, I will be thinking of you all 🙂 xx
Suzie68

Hey Joan well done taking control. Had round 2 today and still feel fine at the moment although they have upped my anti sickness and am now also need to self inject from Sunday as bloods were low. Hair pretty much gone and think I will be completely bald by Saturday haven't worn wig yet and not sure i will wear it. Did you use wig cap ?
joan47

Took the plunge today and had my hair clipped (a number 3 I'm told) at the hairdresser's. At the time I was pleasantly surprised, although I did feel I needed a nose stud and at least one tattoo to complete the look. Hairdresser also trimmed the wig  and again I was pleasantly surprised; looks muych less like a teacosy. Like Eam I funked going for something very different so it's as near to my normal hairstyle as possible, but greyer. They didn't do streaky.  Took it for it's first outing, lunch with friends and they were very complimentary. Hopefully they weren't just being nice. I wore it for several hours but did find it very itchy and wondered whether I would have to have a Mo Mowlam moment and whip it off to have a good scratch. Managed to resist. But I think my (hopefully) surreptious scratching resulted in it being pushed a bit back off my forehead so will need to be careful. Anyone any hints about helping the itching? Next chemo tomorrow. going to the supermarket in the morning to get in a supply of plain crackers, chicken soup and bananas which is pretty much what I lived on for the first few days. Sod's law of course I will probably develop a yen for Marmite, which I usually hate or other strange things. 

Good luck to everyone having chemo this week. Bumblegirl's mum. Good to hear you're now reading the posts on the forum yourself. Hope to hear directly from you soon. Sorry to hear about your infection in the PIC line; hope it is now under control. 

Joan

Wildpurl

Had my check up today and good to go for no. 2 on Friday.
Bumble glad your mum's first chemo went OK
Hope it goes well for everyone who is doing their second this week
booksandwine

Bumble. Glad your mums doing ok hope the picc line gets sorted. They can be a little uncomfortable. I found once I started to accept I have cancer and the treatment while at times will be rough it will be short in terms of the rest of my life and it was hard getting on forums and reading up re cancer. But the support on the forum of other woman all going through the same is a huge huge help. Give her my best and to you.
bumblegirl

Hello all. Sorry I've taken so long to reply. Been so busy. My mum is now reading posts on here so maybe soon she will post herself. First chemo went well and all OK other then infection in her picc line ATM. Hope you are all doing well and that your next chemos go as smoothly as possible xxxx
EAM28

Hello all, had district nurse out today to flush Hickman,take out stitch & take bloods ready for round 2 on Thur! Have been feeling fine about just wearing little hats out & about & actually forget most of the time! I agree with you suzie68 - felt a lot better once shaved (in control!). I'm hoping my eyebrows don't go either - my husband said he's going to draw them on with permanent marker!
Hi Joan 47 I had my hair shaved at my hairdressers. The immune injection I had was called 'neulasta'. Poor you having 7!
Good luck to all of you due for chemo #2 tomorrow!:) xxx
Booklovertoo

Booksandwine, I do have a prescription card, I'll ask for the lactulose tomorrow, wasn't sure if there are certain medications that can't be taken when having chemo but my Dr should have all the info to hand. I wasn't expecting constipation to be one of my worst side effects.
I finally bought a wig today, tried about 5 different styles, fell in love with a long, dark, tapered one but opted for a close match to my own hair, what a coward! I still have my hair at the moment and decided not to try the cap as I really feel the cold, not washing it every other day as usual, trying to leave it as long as I can before I wash it but I know it's inevitable.
Hope you both have an easier time during this 2nd session, another one to cross off the list. Take care xx
Wildpurl

Booksandwine, hope you are doing OK with your second chemo and as you say, now 1/3 of the way through.
I was back at work today in the office and was expecting comments as I stopped straightening or styling my hair after the first chemo and as it is naturally curly it looks quite different from how it used to! I got a few remarks but didn't feel as self conscious as I expected. The rate of hair loss seems to be slowing down and it still looks like a normal head of hair, so fingers crossed I will have enough left on Friday to justify another session of cold cap!

Hope everyone else is well
Wildpurl x
booksandwine

Well chemo 2 now done First in picc line So guess I am now 1/3 through treatment and know what to expect

Booklover I got lactulose on prescription seems good. Have you got a prescription card? Don't suffer.

Packing away hair dryer and straightener today. Still have hair but very very very thin and fine. Need to get wig trimmed and thinned and then start wearing it

Best to all.

PS Booklover don't feel old we are same age
Booklovertoo

Thanks Suzie and Joan, I love the sound of Go Cake, just need some bran and extra fruit, sounds easy to make. Hopefully it'll work, along with the prune juice, liquorice all sorts and anything else I can get to make life easier. xx
Suzie68

Hi book lovertoo I had the same problem and had to take senekot for 4 nights running I'm going to ask the hospital for something else for this round although I have bought prune juice and an nskibg sure i drink ar least 2 ltrs if waters day and will not eat starchy carbs as I don't think they help me. I feel your pain and hope you get something to work soon xx
joan47

Hi Booklovertoo. I find soft ready to eat dry figs very good. Also fruit tea which contains Hibiscus. Just been on the thread 10 top tips for chemo and there are other suggestions there including a Go Cake! Hope something will work for you.  

Joan

Booklovertoo

Thanks Ladies, I've had an X-ray and the PICC is in the right position, I was panicking as I couldn't find anything online to say the same, it's a bit like someone pressing in the middle of my chest, like you Kirstie77 I also feel it when lying in a certain position so I just try to sleep on my back, can't wait til all this is over and I can sleep in my old foetal position. Hi Joan, I've sort of lost the thread but I had nivestim the immune boosting injections, the first one I was shaking so much that I nearly put it in my thumb, did you manage to do them yourself? There is a YouTube video showing how to do it - EMEA nivestim injections which definitely helped me.I need to get something for constipation (sorry to talk about this) does anyone know the best products? Had prunes but they haven't helped. (Sorry) . Thank you all xx
Kirstie77

Hi Joan,

Yes I did have te injection for the white loss cells I'll have to check out what it's called on Wednesday when I go for my next round your right I was confused emend is the anti sickness tablets I got given 3 of those to take.

Sharon, I have the PICC line and do sometimes think I can feel it I don't lie on that side eaither when I'm sleeping even though it's my preferred side, I think that I am being a little paranoid though x I also felt a fluttering when I was actually having chemo and the nurse said that other ladies had said the same thing x if you are at all worried though it is worth giving them a call to ask x
Suzie68

Hi Joan we turned it into a bit if a laugh with youngest son (19) and husband giving me funky hair styles even cut it into cery short crop (so it didnt oull) and no 3 with the clippers. My head feels a bit sunburnt rather than very sore and have gone out in scarf today as I have serious bald patches at the back, I thought I would get lots of stares but I didn't at all. Xx
joan47

Dear Kirstie. The Emend, I think is antisickness which I had as pills. the injections was are to boost the white cells and I did get the district nurses to do it. Did you have that? Joan
joan47

Dear Eam. Yes, I did mean the immune injection. I had to have 7. Can you remember the name of it? Joan
joan47

Dear Wildpurl. I'm at the same stage as you; round two on Thursday. Hair dramatically thinning but still just about covering my scalp. Wore a cap in bed last night (made out of cotton jersey so quite comfortable) because hairs kept falling on my face. That was quite successful. I hadn't expected hair loss to make my head sore (it's where I lie on it). Anyone else had this.

Those of you who have already taken action and cut it all off. Did you shave your head (ie with a razor) or use clippers? My husband is really worried about doing it in case he cuts my head. (Frankly I'm a a bit bothered about that too given the cuts he seems to give himself.

Joan

joan47

Dear Booklover. I've had a PIC line for over two weeks now but have never been aware of it in my chest. I think I would give your hospital a ring just to check it out. I have contacted my oncology centre several times when I have not been sure whether I should be worried about something and have always found them very helpful; reassuring when it's nothing; getting me to come in when it's not.

You have no need to feel old; I'm 66!

Joan

Wildpurl

Hi booklovertoo, I don't have a PICC line but just wanted to say hello and welcome. I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question soon.

Suzie, I was really impressed by your and the other ladies being strong and taking control and cutting your hair when it was time. I'm not at the point yet where I need to consider cutting it all off, and reading others' experiences it will definitely thin even with the cold cap, which I am expecting, but there is a good chance I will keep quite a lot of it! We shall see...
Suzie68

Hey Booklovertoo I am sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping. I don't have a PICC line but just wanted to say hi. Lots of the other ladies have them and I am sure someone will reply to you soon. To be honest I didn't feel as bad when my hair went as I expected to (mine started day 14) but I haven't been to work yet since it was shaved so tomorrow will be interesting! Have you spoken to your BCN re line? sxx
Booklovertoo

Hi ladies, I've been up since 4 this morning, I'm not a very good sleeper at the best of times and I've been reading through all of your inspirational posts and getting lots of helpful advice. I'm a 48 year old nanny of one and feel quite old on this forum (it's shocking). I was diagnosed in Jan with non-receptive, grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma. Fortunately after a lumpectomy I was told that it hadn't spread to my lymph nodes but still need to go through FEC-T and radiotherapy. I'm convinced that I can feel the PICC in my chest, it's not painful just uncomfortable and I was wondering if anyone else feels the same? I'm day 11, still have my hair but am dreading losing it. Hope you're all enjoying Easter. Sharon xx
Suzie68

Ah wildpurl I'm sorry, I really did feel better once i shaved it, it is still coming out tons but not as distressing now. I reckon I will completely bald in a week, just praying the brows and lashes stay. Hope the trip is going well Rosie and everyone has managed to get in a bit of chocolate x
Wildpurl

Day 17 for me and a reasonable amount of hair came out when I washed it this morning, but there is still plenty left and I know it will thin so doing my best to stay calm LOL
rosie14

Hi all latest update from me! Will have to catch up on your threads when i get home. my hair is falling out in handfulls and is thinning.Apart from feeling tired managing well. Got round 3 on Thursday. day after we get back catch up with you all after that. Goog luck to everyone facing tound 2.X
EAM28

Evening ladies,
Sounds like we'll all be up for scoffing a few eggs tomorrow before our round two next week!:)
Glad you found the chemo OK loulou1262 but the tired & queasyness not nice is it:( hope you pick up in a couple days.
Well done Suzie 68! Bet feels loads better & wow you braved it without a hat - go girl!
Thank you so much ashley97 - that's very lovely to say. Of course if we could all have the choice to not have this in our lives (like lots of other things that we cant control)we would! But the fact is we haven't so got to get on with it & not dwell. I just always remind myself how lucky I am to have found that lump - by chance! & so just embrace what needs to be done,this time next year could have been a totally different story! I hope you're son comes round to it all soon - just doing those normal things with him should help. I'm glad you're feeling well & hope it continues that way!
You poor thing joan47 what a game for you! Have fun at you're grandsons party tomorrow. PS - do you mean the immune system boost injection? - I had one given by district nurse 24hrs after chemo.
Let's hope you're next one is better kirstie77. Can't comment on the dry skin but agree with wildpurl about the clinique.
Just a little tip for those of you that will be wearing little hats - mine look like swimming hats on their own so have been wrapping a little scarf around but today I wore I white t shirt with pink bits on & didn't have a scarf to match so clipped a little pink flower on the side (from Claire's accessories) that I already had. My husbands not the best judge but my little girl kept saying 'ooh pretty mummy' so that will do for me! Xxx