72.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

booksandwine

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Smokecloud. You sound cool and fun. But definitely have a lot on your plate. I commend you for going out week one. I think the hardest thing I have found is having to slow down and change life plans ie put the suckers on hold. I am also in sales and manage a team. Generally my travel is to Europe which I will miss

I love all the variance in all of us and the support from all on this site

Re hair I wore wig out day two today is growing on me. In fact went to a look good feel better course today 12 women loud proud funny and 1 didn't believe I had a wig on. Recommend it bloody good fun and great stuff in goodie bag.

I'm triple negative slso. Re what it all means ??!! I just want to get through it.

Q anyone else hideous heartburn Like really bad
loulou1262

Evening ladies,

Welcome Louise, just read your post about crying and reminded me so much of myself... honestly thats all I did for the first few days, bcn said it messes with hormones and also coming down from steroids doesnt help.

I had to go to hospital this morning just because I had a nosebleed that lasted all of 20 seconds,  needed full blood count. Couldnt believe it but apparently I had to have platelets checked asap, all was well and all the tests came back fine. 

I was very brave yesterday and went back to work, only from home. I am really lucky that way, I work for a housing association and can get lots of work done from home so employer has been great. Is anyone else looking at working in between cycles?

In the ladt two days I have noticed more hair coming out on my brush so dont know what the next few days will bring, I did use the cc but was told only 50% chance of it working. How did happen with everyone else...slowly,  fast, in chunks ??? Did head start to feel strange ??

Take care

Louise x

joan47

Smokeclouds. What a wonderful friend. Thank goodness you have someone to turn to. I'm triple negative too. I confess I don't know much about it except that it means hormone and he reception therapy are no use.
joan47

Louise. I don't think I'd mind looking like Yul Brynner. I look more like ET!
joan47

Rosie. Yes, I have injections daily for the first 7 days of each treatment. Hoping they will boost my immunity sufficiently if I do catch what hubby has.
Smokeclouds

Hi Louise! Yeah the crying thing.... I'm a rocker/biker chick (just got me a new Harley for when I'm better) so the girly crying thing isn't my thing but some days I just can't stop, and for no apparent reason! I'm bored with it now though..... hubby is useless with the tears too as he rarely has to deal with them so relying on my best friend for that (he looks like a scary bad ass biker but has actually been a godsend the last few weeks & I'm discovering he has a soft side!)

Wildpurl - hope the trip goes as well as it can, not really what you need at this time I'm sure. At the weekend, after so much hair had come out, I was ready to give up the cold cap but as of today the shedding has slowed and although my hair is very thin, I still have a full covering. That said I'm day 8 after second FEC so I'm expecting shedding again about day 18. I hope you manage to hold on to your hair

Rosie - yeah, having read through various threads & this one I know I'm in the right place now, with people who understand

EAM28 - my husband told me I was selfish to not want to continue the treatment and we had a right row about it, he's still in huge denial about me having a life threatening illness & all I have to go through. I have an 8 year old boy who is the wonder of my world so I know I need to continue for him. By contrast my best mate actually asked me what my thought process was about not continuing chemo, he listened and then talked me through the alternatives like what my life expectancy would be without treatment versus what it could be with treatment etc.Made me phone the BCC helpline & made me tea while I sobbed down the phone. Then he showed me a photo of me & my boy....... kinda sealed the deal.

Suzie68 - I would consider counselling but the OH defintely won't. Things are even harder because our marriage has been rocky for a while & he wouldn't even go to counselling for that - his prefered option is to make like an ostrich & bury his head in the sand. I've told him I don;t have the strength or energy to fight for him and fight the cancer at the same time so we're in a bit of a limbo situation & I guess will be until at least the chemo is done. I don't think that's really helping my emotional state

Kirstie - if I decide not to carry on with the CC then I will take control and shave my hair off rather than waiting for it all to come out. The shedding is hard enough to take at the moment so I can't imagine how I would be watching it all come out. I can rock the bandana look though!

Finally as I've come late to the party I'll introduce myself a little. I'm 45 rock chick/biker with an 8 year old boy and a 44 year old manchild as a hubby! I've been in sales for 20+ years and am currently running a sales team though I've been signed off sick for the forseable future as I usually drive 600-1000 a week in my job and that's not advisable with the chemo.I found a lump at the end of Feb and was diagnosed with Grade 3 Triple Negative breast cancer on March 6th after 2 more lumps were found on the mammogram & ultrasound. I'm having 6 x FEC, though I have no idea what the dose is, followed by a mastectomy & then radio therapy, then reconstructive surgery. I had no idea what Triple Negative breast cancer was & have been shocked to find out how little is really known about it considering the amount of research that's been done into breast cancer in general. Anyone else Triple Negative?

rosie14

Hi Louise well done for reaching day 5 when things begin to improve. I am on day 6 of round 3 so beginning to do a bit more. Its really evil stuff but provides us with our life so we battle on!!!! x
Louise3721

Hi ladies on day 5 after first fec treatment good grief what is in this stuff?? I have spent 5 days being useless. I have never had anything like it and its not just physical its the mental thing too. CRYING? honestly I am boring myself l am a type 1 diabetic and this stuff is playing havoc with my blood sugar. But whenever I get very down I remember why I am doing it all. 2 teenagers and a lovely husband and plans for a fun future. When you are first diagnosed it's all happening and all your time and emotion is poured into this once your op is over you have time to think between chemotherapy appointments and I think you become your own worst enemy. When I had my masectomy a good friend said that the Amazon who were legendary female fighters used to cut off a breast so they could shoot a bow better . So let's all battle on embracing our baldness and knowing this will pass and please remember be
kind to yourself and forgive those who live with us because we are all just scared. I don't know about u but I am still buying long life milk with every intention of using it!

Having head shaved this week hoping will look like sineade o Connor on the Nothing Compares to You video but resigned to looking like Yul Brinner but less sexy x
Wildpurl

Morning everyone, thank you for your words of support about my Mother In Law, it is day 5 today and I am feeling a lot better and slept almost normally, the anti sickness meds are finished for this round and just have 3 injections left to do, so I think I will be OK for the trip up.

Although physically I have coped a bit better this second round I agree I have been much lower mentally, bursting into tears at the slightest thing or so it seems. Smokeclouds I have definitely thought about not continuing with the chemo, especially as it was an option for me to reduce risk, but I have started so I will finish. I want to make sure I have done everything I can to fight this.

The hair thing is really getting me down, it is definitely thin in places now and I have phoned my wig lady to arrange to try some wigs and get her advice also about maybe cutting it shorter. That said I am not yet ready to make a decision about giving up the cold cap and will wait and see what happens. As rosie says it is a very personal thing how to cope I think.

And finally although my OH is great at looking after me, cooking and doing housework etc, he is pants at coping with me being down and crying and just wants me to snap out of it. It's not his fault, and I think your advice from your BCC was good kirstie, there is no point in my trying to waste energy on getting him to change, best to get support elsewhere, like here for example! Plus he is coping with his Mum's death which is such a hard thing.

I hope that this week gets better for all of us, and hard as it is every round means one less to go through to get to the end.

Wildpurl x

rosie14

Hi EAM 28 I think the problem with the second time round we know what we are about to go through! The actual chemo is doable its the 5days after that are a challenge!!! Thank goodness for day 6! I am on 2 weekly sessions at the moment so only get a week to feel anything like normal. Stay strong for your little girl she needs you and your hubby! x
rosie14

Goodmorning everyone hope this finds you on the mend. I am on day 6 today so I have stopped the sickness pills and started 5 days of injections. I have just finished unpacking clothes from UK and washing so feeling weary now!

Glad to hear that round 2 went better for you Kirstie hopefully it will give others that struggled the first time round hope that things will be better! Smokeclouds glad you are feeling a little more positive- we are all in this together. Only ladies on this forum know exactly how you feel.

The hair thing is a personal one. Cold cap is not an option for me in Cyprus. I have had 3 rounds of chemo now and still have a covering of thin hair with a few bald patches. My husband did offer to shave it off but I couldn't face that I would rather a gradual change! So you must do what you feel comfortable with. I know some ladies have shaved it of and feel relief it really is a personal choice.I am using headscarves in the day and have a wig for evenings out! Take each day at a time you will have some good days. I should milk the dinner and washing situation though!!! x

Smokeclouds

Thank you everyone. I'm glad it's not just me that's had doubts & had these feelings. I hadn't talked to anyone apart from friends until today as I'm a stubborn cow who was determined to make it all by myself. I've realised now that having people who truly know what I'm going through it just what I need

For you guys that have opted against the cold cap & embraced the razor, I applaud you. I'm not ready to do that yet & have decided not to make a decision about my hair or cold cap until either my next chemo is due or my hair develops obvious patches.
For those of you that have had neutropenia, you've convinced me to carry on with the injections, however hideous I find them as I don't want to spend any time in hospital.
My OH has cooked dinner for the first time in the 17 years we've been together tonight & also did his first load of washing, so maybe things are looking up. He doesn't want to talk about my treatment & emotions though so I'll continue to lean on my friend for that
EAM28

Just realized I have missed so many posts so have just had a catch up!
Hi smokeclouds, I am on day 4 of my 2nd chemo & yes I have said to my husband I'm not having any more treatment! I know how selfish & defeatis it sounds but ive had a real dark cloud hanging over me this time. But trying to pick up tonight as day 6 is not far away & I have my lovely hubby ( who has been getting it from all angels!) & my 21month old little girl to do this for so need to get a grip!. As for the hair loss - iv always had long,thick hair but they told me from dx it would defo go so got used to the idea by first chemo & had it shaved at hairdressers on day 14 of first FEC as had been coming out a lot. Have been fine in little caps with scarf & flower clip accessories & awaiting wig which I'll prob only wear for nights out anyway. Hope you start to pick up soon, being on here should help a lot xxxx
Kirstie77

Wirldpurl

Thinking of you x
Kirstie77

Hi guys I have stayed off here this round didn't want to temp fate after the last round but this one has gone much better.

Jackie and Ashley, it's hard being neotropenic sepsis and it does make you really paranoid but this round has been much much better for me I hope you both are doing okay now x

Smoke clouds - hi, I just wanted to say my hair has been the biggest thing for me too, my husband has been in denial too and during the last round I thought about giving up and not having treatment, but you will get through these feelings xx a friend of mine had a word with my husband and now I just turn to them rather than him instead of letting things annoy me when he doesn't step up, my BCN told me to accept what I can't change and use the energy on getting better, he does not try to help more and is more supportive, he still sometimes treats this like an inconvenience and I'm just another chore he has to help with, but he is at least trying now so there is hope :0). The wanting to give up is probably just because your struggling at the moment, but just let it out on here we all know the ups and downs and we may be able to say something useful - or not, but at least we know where your coming from. The hair, I woke up devastated on Sunday I had the cold cap the first time but by round 2 it had started to thin, I had round 2 without the cap as I had so many problems during my first round and it started to come out thick and fast I couldn't bear it. I didn't think I could do the shaved head look, or the scarfs and I have 2 wigs which I think I look stupid in, but by Sunday evening I asked my friend to come over and shave it off it was just so upsetting coming out all the time, I have gone for a number 2 and I feel better now instead of worrying about it I have had to accept it, I don't have hair everywhere, on my pillow, in my dinner, every time I touch my head - I feel much better having just done it, it is patchy, as I have lost more hair in some places than others, but I still think its better emotionally for me. I don't know if that will help you or not, but I feel like I decided before the choice was taken away xx

Hope everyone else is doing okay x
EAM28

Evening all,
Jackie09 & ashley97 - please don't apologize for not posting - the last thing on your minds when you are this ill & stuck in hospital! So sorry that's how you're first chemo has gone & really hope you both pick up real soon.
I'm so sorry to hear about you're mother in law wildpurl - not easy times at the moment. Hope it all goes as well as these things can & as for the journey you will be on day 8 so hopefully feeling pretty much normal by then? I have been similar to you for my 2nd round - got appetite back a little quicker but have felt really 'low' mentally. Wondering if some of the anti sickness or something brings on depression. Hoping to pick up a bit tomorrow.
Glad everyone seems to be doing pretty well & coping,take care all xxx
Suzie68

Hi Smokeclouds I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I started fec x6 on 2 April and had 2nd session last Wednesday. I didn't try the cc as from what I've read it seems to delay rather than stop the hair loss although everyone is different and it could well be worth you preserving, although we are all going through something similar we are all different and you need to do what works best for you. I personally have not considered not completing my treatment but can totally understand your feelings, it is sometimes very difficult to see the end of the tunnel. Im sorry that your oh seems to be denial and It's great you've got a best friend to support you. The staff on the helpline are really great and helped me loads when I was first diagnosed, have you spoken to your bcn about having any counselling for you and OH ? Wishing you all the best sxxx
Smokeclouds

Thanks Rosie, feel like I'm going mad the last 2 days as I felt so full of fight before & it just kinda deserted me

rosie14

Smokeclouds I am sure that we have all been where you are following the chemo. Just live for day 6 when things get better and remember its not for life but you wont have life without it! x
Smokeclouds

Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments. I've avoided places like this until now, thought I was strong enough to do it all on my own but this last weekend everything finally hit me and I know I need some support.

I got a wig today and my friend says it makes me look like Suzi Quattro and he always fancied her, so I'll take that as a win.

I blindly pushed my way through the first round of chemo, going out to my regular rock night 3 days after my first session and a concert 6 days after and just thought I'd do the same this but this session has hit me hard and even doing a load of washing has worn me out. That coupled with the bone pain from the Zarzio injections and handfuls of hair coming out, my best friend flyng back to LA yesterday and a husband who is in utter denial has just led to me crashing big time. And today I spent 2 hours crying on my best friends shoulder and telling him I wasn't going to carry on with my treatment. He made me a cup of tea and then handed me the number for the BCC helpline and made me call. Has anyone else questioned if they want to carry on with chemo? It seems completely irrational in some ways but also partly makes perfect sense to me. I just don't want to feel this ill anymore

rosie14

Joan I do hope you don't catch your husbands sore throat! Have you started your injections yet? I am starting mine tomorrow on day 5 of cycle 3 for 5 days.
Sounds like you have got a bargain Booklovertoo! x
Booklovertoo

Hi Smokeclouds, I'm on day 18 of my first FEC treatment and my hair is coming out in handfuls after experiencing a very tender scalp. I haven't used the cold cap as I hate feeling cold. I'm wearing a woolly hat indoors to avoid shoulder length hair in our meals. This morning I had delivered a cheap wig, bob shaped, black with red peppering it cost £15 on ebay and I'm really pleased with it. It looks good with or without a hat. It's certainly cheered me up. xx
joan47

Hi Smokeclouds. Love the name. I am also on my second round of FEC and I think debilitating describes it perfectly. I feel much more wiped out than first time round, seem to have spent most of the last 3 days either in bed or lying down. Hopefully our energy levels will recover in the next 2 weeks.

I haven't felt quite as bad about losing my hair as I expected and in some ways taking the decision to clip it very short was better than waiting for it to fall out. I think that was my way of exercising control. As you say in we don't have a lot of that.

Having carefully tried to avoid people with colds etc my husband has now gone down with a sore throat and aching limbs. I'm hoping that if I do get it it is early enough in the cycle not to be too bad.

Joan
Tlj63

I'm on 2nd cycle of FEC and have not used cold cap as I couldn't bear the thought of being cold! I still have some hair, but lots of bald patches. Ironically, when at home I am not bothering to wear anything on my head, because it can't see what I look like so it doesn't bother me. My family seem more aware than me as they are looking at me although, they are getting used to it and there have been lots a cheeky comments from them!
When I go out I wear prefolded headscarves. The first time I wore one I did feel self conscious, but no one said anything so after that I felt quite ok wearing it.
Wildpurl

Hi smokeclouds, I am also having FEC at the moment, have just had my second one and have one more to go before I switch to T for three sessions. I am using the cold cap and started shedding around day 16, by the time I had my second I had lost quite a lot but still had a reasonable covering of hair so did cold cap again. The nurse said I had quite a lot of hair.

I am still shedding but it is getting less but hair is definitely thinner now although still looks OK if you didn't know me before. Scalp has stopped hurting and is starting to itch which I take to be a good sign. I have been very despondent about the shedding and feeling it isn't going to work but I am trying to just wait and see. Many people on this forum using cold cap have reported hair loss after first FEC and then it slowing down and also some new growth, and have got through cold capping and still have hair at the end. I'm going to keep going for now and try to take one day at a time.

I don't feel very in control and I hate the shedding of hair and it looking crap but I'm not going to give up unless I feel it is the right thing to do. I have read you can have a paper cap on to protect your scalp if very little hair and still cold cap. For me it's all about the speed of re growth at the end.

Good luck!

Wildpurl
booksandwine

Smoke clouds Welcome to the thread. I also started chemo on 1 April so won't forget that date.

I emphasise with the hair mine was shoulder length but quite fine and I decided against the cap as me losing some would have been noticable

But yes the first thing I thought about when they said chemo was hair loss But the wigs overall are very good and the headstrong course is worth going to. You will be amazed at what can be done.

It's hard but temporary if you are still wanting to keep going again while hard I suggest another haircut as shorter hair will be easier to keep. But I feel more in control abit still getting used to it with no hair. As watching it fall out and not washing as often to keep it was so much harder.

Look after you and also maybe see your BCN for help re a wig.
Smokeclouds

It was worst Friday and Saturday but shedding today has been about the same as the first day I was shedding.

Keeping my hair feels like the only thing I can have control over, everything else is just things I've been told I have to do to survive this. It may seem like a small thing but making the decsion for myself is important to me

loulou1262

Im sure its your choice,  as it may get more painful with less hair. Have you lost much since tuesday or is I slowing? X

Lucy_BCC

Hi Smokeclouds and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will continue to find support and shared experiences

The link below will take you to the BCC 'I'm having treatment for breast cancer' pages where you will find further hair loss information and support ideas including 'Live chat' and our helpline, please feel free to call for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy

Smokeclouds

Thanks Louise - I'm just confused by conflicting advice. My shedding started on day 19 of treatment one and has continued throughout the last week. My nurse said I wouldn't be able to do the cold cap if I lost too much hair but again I've read other people saying that they continued because they found their hair starting to come back quicker where it had been lost. I'm disappointed that on Tuesday she said my hair would all be gone by this weekend and it wasn't worth continuing but having done the cold cap Tuesday I still have hair. If I'd taken her advice and not done the cold cap I'm wondering if it would all have gone. Does anyone know if its my decision to continue or can the hospital tell me I can't?

loulou1262

Hi smokeclouds

Im only on my first round day 11, I too have tried the coldcap and am waiting for the shed!! Bet you were really disappointed with the reaction from the nurse. I too thought it was normal to shed quite a lot even with the cap and decided to keep going unless it becomes patchy, if its shed all over reasonably even I would have continued.  My SE (touchwood) seemed to have gone quiet, even managed a sneaky glass of red wine last night 😉 Mine mainly was the nausea feeling and tiredness but now getting blood on gums when brushing .

Take care

Louise xx

Smokeclouds

Hi all,

First time posting anywhere like this. I started 6 x FEC on April 1st (should've been funny but it really wasn't)

After 1st chemo it felt like my body was taking the list of side effects as a challenge and trying to tick them all off. None of them have been overwhelming but debilitating nevertheless.

I've had 2 sessions with the cold cap but am shedding lots of hair and reckon I've lost about 50% of it although I have a full covering, just very thin. Before my chemo on Tuesday the nurse said it wasn't worth me continuing and that all my hair would be gone by this weekend but I was stubborn and still had the cold cap. Has anyone else been advised to stop using it as I'm a little confused now. I've read on various sites that people often have extreme thinning but keep going with the cold cap. My hair was long and straight, all the way down my back and having it cut to shoulder length (after 30 years) was devastating enough so the idea of keeping some hair, even if I had to wear hats or bandanas, appealed to me. Now I don't know what to do

joan47

Ashley, I'm so sorry to hear you're in hospital but how fortunate that you spoke to the chemo nurse. I feel very fortunate with the service we have in Bristol where there is 24 hour access to specialist advice. I hope being in isolation isn't too awful and that you soon be better and back home.
Jackie. You too have been through the mill. I'm amazed that you have had the energy to do anything at all. I can understand you feeling humbled by the lady you met who had been battling cancer for years. What you and Ashley have gone through-and others earlier certainly helped to put my little niggles this time round in perspective. But I also think that sometimes we have to allow ourselves a bit of self-pity before gritting our teeth and getting on with it.
Next time I'm definitely going to bake the go-cake in advance and freeze it in slices.
Wildpurl, so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law and hope the journey as well as the funeral is not too much of an ordeal.
The hair on the sides and back of my head is now virtually rubbed away so my no 3 is now looking more like a Mohican. Wore my wig out yesterday in quite a high wind. Had visions of it blowing away down the road but managed to resist the urge to hold it on and it stayed on. It didn't seem to attract any attention and an acquaintance I met didn't comment so maybe it's less obvious than I think. But I'm still delighted to get home and take it off. I am finding gets quite cold though so may have to resort to a turban eve though they make me look hideous.

Have now installed wireless in bedroom so doing this lying in bed. Unexpected bonus from having cancer, getting a I-pad and overcoming our thick wall syndrome which limited wireless and mobile reception to one room.
Joan
rosie14

Ashley so sorry I have just noticed you are facing a challenging time. I do hope that your temp will come down and you will be allowed home really soon! x
Jackie09

Ashley - so sorry to hear about your hospital trip! I can safely say I know how you feel. Rubbish, isn't it? As you say, you are in the best place. How is it being in isolation? I wondered whether I would be, but I was in a room of 4. I hated visiting times as I worried they would bring in some germs! But the doctors weren't too concerned - and the hospital I was in is a specialist cancer centre. I hope at least you have a TV thing, if you feel like watching it. I found, with all the comings and goings, observations and beeping IVs, I was pretty much tired the whole time so used to try to nap a lot. How is your temp now? That was the main thing my docs were concerned with. My blood count was really low when the discharged me but she said as long as it's getting higher, that's okay. Sending lots of love and positive thoughts x x
Suzie68

Hi Jackie and Ashley sorry to hear you've both been unwell and in hospital hope you feel better soon sxx
rosie14

Hi Booksandwine I admire you letting so many doctors examine you!
Jackie so sorry to hear you have been unwell, hopefully round 2 will be easier for you.
I am now using headscarves in the day and I am using my husbands bandana at night to contain the hair loss over the pillow as you end up with it everywhere including your mouth!
I have a wig and am keeping that for social evenings and when we return to UK for a week at the end of July for our youngest son's wedding. It's getting rather warm in the day here to be wearing a wig. Those of you who are wearing wigs how do you protect your scalp?
Hope you all manage to enjoy the remainder of the weekend.
By the way the Go Cake is delicious and it works!!
ashley97

Hi everyone, I too need to apologise for not posting. I am really sorry to hear about your mother in law wildpurl, and hope the journey is ok for you. Like jackie I am in hospital, I am neutrapenic sepsis. I have been here since thursday, they have said I have an upper respiratory infection, so on strong iv antibiotics, and just to add to it my liver isnt functioning properly so they are trying to find the cause of that. They have told me until my white blood count increases significantly i will be staying here in isolation But I know I am in the best place (hopefully) I just really hope this was just bad luck that I caught a cold and not going to happen each time. when I first came to a&e under orders from chemo nurse, the general doc in a & e gave me chest xray checked my blood and said that he felt I was coping ok and my chest was clear so I could go home  at that point I had a temp of 38.9. when I rang chemo nurse they told me to come straight back. Sometimes you feel like you have to tell the docs what to do. Hope everyone is having a good weekend, weather looks nice so far today. Ashley xxx

Wildpurl

Hi Jackie, so sorry to hear you had such a difficult time, glad you are back home and as loulou says I hope you have some good days before round 2.

I definitely feel better this time around on day 3 than I did last time, but my have I got chemo glow this morning! I'm still tiring easily but can eat more and at a normal speed than the 1st round.
loulou1262

Hi Jackie

Really sorry to hear that you have been in hospital,  but glad your back home and can enjoy a week some days before your next round. Xxx

booksandwine

Oh Jackie so sorry to hear you've been in hospital. I hope the last time. This bleeping thing does knock you around. But you have my support.

Glad your home tale care. Re scarf. I recommend the skull head cap first put in triangle and lay the main triangle lowish on your forehead. Then you can tie quite tightly the ends together I cover over my ears. I think practice. I'll try again tomorrow.

Hereyeliner or eyelinerher can't recall too later at night now is on you tube and shows great tips re scsrft.

Look after you.
Jackie09

Hello everybody,

I hope today has been a good day for each one of us x x. I feel dreadful I haven't been posting recently, especially when so many of you have been so thoughtful with your comments.

I have been in hospital this week from Tuesday evening until Friday with neutropenia sepsis. Had "the shivers" Monday evening and Tuesday, and by 4.00 had a temp of 38. So was admitted and given IV anti-biotics for a few days. As my temp was back to normal and my blood counts (very slowly) rising, they monitored me on oral anti-biotics for 24hrs and said I could come home. So have felt much better today - hoovered and did some washing - not done that since before my first round!! Feeling tired now but great to be home. It has rocked me a bit to end up in hospital as I didn't even leave the house during my low immune days, I was so paranoid. So it just goes to show. Just as I was celebrating being home, my hair started to fall out :(. I was expecting the pillow to be covered this morning but it wasn't? But I'm sure that won't last. I have a wig all ready and a few scarves (which I haven't a clue how to tie!) at the ready. Just wish had a bit more time to get over this week before 2nd go next week. So will make the most of the next few days. However, whilst in hospital I met a very courageous lady who made me feel very humble. She began her battle with this **bleep**ty disease 14 years ago with skin cancer and is still battling. Gave me a kick up the backside for feeling so sorry for myself!
Love and hugs to all x x
booksandwine

Hi hope all you ladies had a good day. Feel like I gave something back today I got asked Thursday to be part of medical tests for senior doctors as part of Their exam to be an oncologist. Basically spent the morning being examined by 9 doctors and them finding the lump and their prognosis. Hope I helped

Yesterday wore wig out in public. Today went out when I hope home to the mall with headscarf. No one stared it's just my mind over matter re looking different.
rosie14

Great thanks Wildpurl I will freeze half I don't fancy eating it all, I think that would tip the scales the other way!!!
Wildpurl

Thank you for your good advice about the journey Rosie, good idea to stop every couple of hours.
The bran loaf recipe I have which looks very similar to go cake freezes well, I think the go cake would freeze just fine
rosie14

Just wondering if I can freeze half of the Go Cake for next time?

booksandwine

Wildpurl. Just to say so sorry to hear about your mother in law. Sending you best wishes and also for a safe trip. Sending you wishes.
rosie14

Morning Wildpurl sorry to hear about your mother in law. You will be fine travelling just make sure you have all your medicines with you and take snacks and water. Stop every 2 hours at services for a little stroll and you will be fine. Not only did I do the flight but we travelled up and down the country from Manchester up to Newcastle down to Plymouth and back up to midlands before returning to Manchester! Enjoy the rest of the weekend and don't worry about the journey. x
Hi Suzie68 I am definitely going to make the cake too! I have figs, prunes and apricots to put in mine- that should do the trick!!! x
Hi EAM28 glad you are managing to eat it always make you feel better. Yes I have to have one more chemo session before starting on Herceptin too. I just hope we don't get any more side effects!? x
Wildpurl

Morning everyone, I felt awful yesterday evening, completely wiped out and no energy, but have had quite a good nights sleep and feel a lot better this morning. Like you EAM I think I don't feel so bad this time around as I did the first time, but still going to take it easy. My appetite is better this time too.

My mother in law passed away last Tuesday and the funeral is a week today, Saturday 3rd May. I will be travelling up by car on Thursday morning, with OH driving, his parents live near Glasgow so a long journey and we return on Sunday. I am a bit apprehensive but think I will feel OK and if Rosie can fly from Cyprus to UK then I guess I can make it to Scotland from SE England!

Hope everyone is doing OK and have good weekends.
Suzie68

Morning EAM, I have no idea why I am awake because I did loads yesterday, maybe I'm a bit over tired. Hair pretty much mine existent and seriously look like cancer patient without cap, well and with cap to be honest lol. Still haven't worn my wig and don't think I will, it just doesn't feel right for me. Hope you are all feeling well and get to enjoy the weekend. I'm going to have a go at making the 'go' cake today before things get too bad, thanks fir posting booklover saves me searching for it again sxxx