73.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Lovewine

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Louise3721 we seem to have the same week- I am off to see oncologist today and FECing tomorrow- I get quite anxious when gave to go and see him so not much sleep last night! Hope yours goes well!
And yes beautiful day and looks it's going to last into weekend so when we are all feeling crap at least we can maybe lounge around in garden!
Lovewine

Morning Rosie, hope you get sorted with oncologist today- you must be feeling weak now not being able to keep food in or eat properly. .good luck x
Louise3721

Morning ladies Rosie so sorry to hear u are suffering something is obviously upsetting your system Full fat coke is best its what they give rowers and swimmers who have been in dirty water. The stuff in it kills bacteria and it has all the salt and sugar u need. I let it go flat because gas is the last thing u need!

Seeing the oncologist today before FEC ing chemotherapy tomorrow been out with chickens since 6.30 Going to be a beautiful day so get out there ladies and for something lovely xx
Kirstie77

Rosie I hope you manage to get some thing sorted today with your onc not nice for you at all x

Thanks Joan x good plan with the bike x

I think I'm going to try do something nice today seeing as I should have been having chemo
joan47

Morning ladies. Rosie sorry you had such a bad night. Are you allowed to take anything for the trots? From the start I was sent home after chemo with stuff for constipation but nothing was said about the other problem. Booksandwine, have been following your thread on TAX, very useful. I am changing to that after my third FEC. From what I read 'taxing' seems an appropriate description even though not as good as the 'FECing chemo. I asked my chemo nurse about dark nail varnish but she was absolutely against using even clear. Thanks for all the suggestions about bad taste in mouth. Re fresh pineapple, I found it made my mouth on fire but will try dried. I was given diff lam mouthwash which helps for a while and my doctor prescribed a diff lam spray which is great for when I'm away from home. Kirstie, you're amazing. Well done for raising all that money and good luck with the race. I like the image of you being pulled around in a cart when you get too tired. Worth a photo in the local paper and perhaps on this site? TJ63, great you had the energy to play tennis. I normally play badminton- rather badly I have to say- but haven't felt up to it, even in the good week. And swimming, which I used to do regularly has been forbidden so also feeling very unfit. I did bring home my daughter's exercise bike at the weekend though and once my husband finds a man to help him lift it out of the car and carry it upstairs hope to gear myself up to use it.
booksandwine

Sorry to hear you had a rough night Rosie agree i would pick consty over runs also. I have a slight ibs and weak bladder and when I need to go I need to go Definitely seems the cumulative effects are here.

All the best for catching up with your oncologist
rosie14

Goodmorning everyone had another bad night out to loo at least 4 times only 1 small leakage. Thank goodness we have tracked down the oncologist and I am seeing him in Paphos today. Still can't eat much as it comes out the other end.
I think I prefer the constipation booksandwine!
Kistie glad that you are aiming for something positive well done you!
Tlj how many days did you have the runs for I am on day 3 now?
My very best wishes to you all facing next chemo this week. Remember make the most of the well days they are what builds our strength up to keep us going on this journey. Onward and upward we have to do this no turning back! xxxxx
booksandwine

Lovewine and tij63.

We seem to be on similar pattern fec then tax. I posted a query / thread under chemo tax after fec some interesting comments if you want to read

C
booksandwine

Louise the leaving parts of you on the chair made me chuckle.

Rosie - hang in there - confess while I didn't make me laugh ( I'm not mean ) it made me think of what I have to look forward to - well a change from constipation at least !

Platlets odd things mine jumped up from 60 odd to 320 in four days. Sleeping till nearly 1 pm on Monday must have helped.

So I'm half way there. Tax next - still looking into what can be expected. Nurse today heard nothing re frozen gloves or painted nails but inferred I'm in for a rocky ride next time.

Wildpurl hope all went well at work. Mine pretty much don't notice wig now and another woman at work just been diagnosed. Mind you there are 600 staff there

Joan glad you managed. A break away a real treat Re mouth there is a theory that crunching ice while having chemo helps I also find pineapple juice and dried pineapple really good

Lovewine a chicken how cool I am now imagining you as the good life
Lovewine

Hi tij63 , yes this week coming up is my FEC 3 so will be same as you for starting TAX and herceptin, have also heard it causes body aches and flu symptoms but not so much nausea, suppose we will have new set of side effects to look forward too!
Kirstie well done for your fund raising sounds like you will be having fun doing race for life at least you won't be feeling so bad the week before, hope your leg isn't too bad now.
Kirstie77

Hi ladies,

Rosie you poor thing I hope you are feeling better x I have had the opposite problem each round my stomach gets terribly bloated.

I am also gaining weight which I am not pleased about at all but then I haven't been very active, it anyone else putting on weight?

My chemo has been postponed tomorrow because of my leg, my onc won't do it until it has healed more and my stitches have been removed. Initially I was really upset but now I realise that the race for life is the Sunday before my 4th Chemo rather than after, so far I've raised £1400 and thought my sister would have to go in my place but now I realise I can go, they are going to decorate a cart and pull me round when I'm too tired to walk and we are going to "pimp my ride" I'm really looking forward to it !

I have chickens too they are funny, I also have a tortoise called Harry lol

Good luck everyone having round 3 x this week (or any round)
Tlj63

Yes Lovewine, I will be changing to Tax, but not this week as only on number 3 of FEC. But in 3 weeks time I will be. Hoping it will make me feel less sick and not too achey. I'm also having herceptin starting when I change to Tax.
Lovewine

Hi Louise 3721. Your new chicken sounds lovely, I am a big animal lover( 3 cats and 2 dogs!) my sister keeps chickens that have been rescued from battery farms and I love watching them! Hope you are settling down from your diarrhoea and you too Rosie? I too had blood tests today , oncologist tomorrow, chemo on Thursday.
Re teeth- I have had toothache on and off for a couple of days- can't have dental work whilst on chemo, I have lost a big chunk of tooth: oh happy days isn't it!! When I had chemo the nurses gave me last time a really effect mouthwash only available on prescription called diffliam, it's really good for mouth ulcers, horrid taste and infections.
Joan47 I drink tonic water and find that quite good( would be even better with a large gin in it!) and also wine gums, haribo sweets or jelly babies also help.
Good luck ladies with our crap week of bloods, chemo etc! Is anyone else changing from FEC to TAX on round 4 ? I think I am and also with herceptin too.
rosie14

Louise I am with you on this score. I am so relived to read about someone that has had the terrible diahorrea! I was the other way round needing the Go Cake that's why I can't understand how badly I have been hit by round 4! Your chickens sound fun and uncomplicated in such a torrid time in our lives we are undergoing.
Tlj hope all goes well with the blood tests tomorrow!
Louise3721

Hi ladies

Grim just about sums it up really.  Lovewine I am a positive person by nature BUT this chemo malarky could turn Mother Theresa into a loony.  Re the terrible diahorrea I had a spell of that last week but was told this is a common side effect to FEC - really can it get any better? I certainly do not need the "go" cake I needed a very BIG cork! I am now carrying some spare clothes in a bag in the car - just in case and some water and anti diahorrea tablets.

I bought a new ( alive) chicken to cheer me up - honestly ladies chickens are the way forward she is extremely fluffy with a fab hair do.  My cats are learning she is not food and she and her chicken mates make me laugh every day.

Working from home now but have informed them to write me off next week as day 3/4 after FEC thought death seemed like a good option!

I took my scarf off the other night and took out my softee before bed Honestly there was more of me on the chair than in the bed! All,I need now is for my teeth to go - speaking of which what happens if you get tooth ache?  I have been told that whilst undergoing chemo dentists are a no go? 

Re nasty taste in the mouth I am using Corsodil(?) every day mouth wash to great effect and fresh orange juice is good. 

Had lovely day today pottering with chicken mates in between rain showers and blood tests and a little bit of work.

Happy days!

Tlj63

Don't know for sure Rosie whether it was a bug or I was being over zealous with the fibre intake! There is a bug going round the kids school at the moment, although my 2 seem to have escaped it so far. I had gone mad on the fruit intake and had had a couple of senna tablets 2 days before! I'm seeing my oncologist tomorrow and having bloods in preparation for Friday, so let's hope everything is ok. Tummy is mostly back to normal now, so hopefully FEC3 on Friday.
rosie14

Hi Joan I would like to think it was a bug for all of our sakes too or I think I will be cancelling my remaining chemo sessions!!!! Tlj was that a bug or chemo related do you know? Glad you bounced back and regained some normality into your life!
Tlj63

Oh dear Rosie, that does sound grim. Perhaps you did pick up a bug. I had a bad 48 hrs (day 8/9 FEC2), fortunately didn't have to clean my shoes, but did make numerous rapid sprints to the loo and felt crap. Luckily, after that I bounced back and have even managed to play tennis with my girlie mates for 40 mins today. It felt great to be back on the court, first time since surgery in February. I am now really unfit, but it made me feel normal to do something I love to do. So I hope you perk up in the next 24hrs so you can take advantage of a few days of normality before the next chemo hit.
joan47

Rosie, it feels as if you are taking the hit for all of us; you are really having a very tough time. Selfishly, I hope it was a bug you picked up which the rest of us may avoid rather than a side-effect of the drugs which is something else to look forward to. Whichever I hope you are now feeling better. I was interested to see that some of you have the bloods and oncologist in the same week as the chemo. My hospital does it the week before which normally means a precious few days without any hospital appointments. Bliss. Finally, the most persistent side effect for me has been a horrible taste in the mouth. Is anyone else still experiencing this? What do you find most effective. I have been drinking vast quantities of bitter lemon and sucking fruit gums but getting a bit bored with both. Off now to bake my go-cake ready for Friday.
Lovewine

Hi Rosie, hope you are feeling better today? How awful for you to be feeling like that, maybe you have picked up a bug as you gave been doing so well after your chemo before- fingers crossed you improve today xx
Louise 3721- yes thus week is crap isn't it! Even worse for you having the added joy of period! I am dreading chemo day as my veins this time are quite sore and yes couldn't agree more about wanting to FEC off on holiday!! Anywhere would be nice as long as it's away from hospitals! X
Eam, Joan, wild purl, loulou,Kirstie and all other ladies hope you have a good day ( as good as possible with next blast of chemo looming)!!
And I love my new tassimo machine - lovely cappuccinos and lattes etc!! It is to replace my usual red wine - not quite as good as wine but not far off!!
Off to the nurse now for the joy of bloods for chemo!
rosie14

Oh my goodness ladies I have been so ill! I went to bed Sunday at 8.45pm and didn't get out of bed until 1.30pm yesterday. My legs wouldn't support me I felt as sick as a pig and actually was at one point but the work thing has been not constipation the other way without control and not much warning. My poor husband stayed home to look after me and he ended up going round with a mop bucket and having to clean my shoes. There really is not much dignity left!!!
Anyway on a positive I have managed to eat strawberries and yogurt and keep a cup of tea down. Yesterday I couldn't have used the computer to save my life!
I am glad that you are all taking advantage of retail therapy and trips out we really need to spoil ourselves when we are well My goodness Louise you are positive! Glad you had a good time at the weekend EAM. Wildpurl I think you are very brave working! Lovewine chin up hope all goes well on Friday. I didn't get my sickness until day 3-5 very unusual my husband wonders whether or not I picked up a bug? Joan 47 so glad you enjoyed your trip it makes you feel more normal! The vein feels much better no but I dread the next IV! Hope this finds you all well and positive sorry about my ills rant but only you guys truly understand! xxxx
Louise3721

Hello ladies loving your positive posts. Lovewine I have exactly the same week as you plus I have my period Oh deep and unending joy!
Rosie14 hope ever day is better than the last.
Joan you did well this weekend
Wig is banished I can not manage the itching and I have decided that I do look quite good bald. My ears don't stick out so I don't look like the World Cup and I don't look like Yul Brinner. Good times all round!!

So gearing up to round 2 Can't wait till I can FEC off on holiday !
EAM28

Evening all,nice to hear we are all doing lovely things before next round:). I went out for chips last wkend,Chinese with the girls sat,out for roast with family yesterday & going to the lgfb course tomorrow so my husbands like check you out! Have an accaintance coming over wed - she is a young mum of two & has been through all of this (she found out she had BC when pregnant with her first) so will be lovely to hear her story. I'm sure it will be inspirational.
Hope you are doing better rosie14. You have been doing so well! But you have had more than us so far & not as much break in between as us so I'm not surprised!
Take care all xxx
Wildpurl

Morning, well done on getting the tassimo lovewine! I hope you enjoy lots of lovely cappuccinos and hot chocolates 🙂
Rosie I hope you are feeling better today
Joan, what a lovely weekend, that should set you up a treat 🙂
I'm working in the office this week, I have bloods and pre chemo check together on Wednesday afternoon, chemo on Friday. Trying to just make the most of feeling normal at the moment. It's a nice day so going for a walk at lunchtime.
Lovewine

Morning joan47, sounds like you had a lovely weekend, just what you need before next round on Friday! Stratford sounds good too- have a lovely time! I live about an hours drive from Stratford and love going there and also leamington spa too. And yes I love north wales too and have been around some of the castles- I like Harlech castle and also like borthy-gest which has a lovely beach! We have also been thinking of planning a holiday after treatment- which seems ages away, must say I felt very "down" last night as all I can see at the minute is endless hospital trips, operation, radiotherapy,herceptin ,etc, etc!! I hate this week too as it's blood Tuesday, oncologist Wednesday and chemo Thursday followed by sick bowl on Friday!!
And now to the positive : my tassimo coffee machine is being delivered today!!
Rosie hope you are feeling much better today?
I am off to work soon so better get wig on , have a good day everyone.
joan47

Morning ladies. Just had a lovely weekend staying with eldest daughter in London and visiting a friend. Such a treat to get away and managed to do more than I expected, even though I had to go and lie down on occasion. Arrived wearing my cap but took it off after a while and relieved everyone seemed to cope with it. My daughter bless her actually said she thought it looked really good. Wig largely banished. Well done those of you who are coping with wigs. I just can't stand the itching and at least with the cap I can have a surreptitious scratch without worrying that it's made the wig wonky. Ate much more than usual so hoping the scales aren't going to punish me. One more treat this week before chemo 3 on Friday- trip to theatre in Stratford on Avon. Fortunately a light hearted play, not sure could cope with doom and gloom. I do agree it's so important to build in treats although I think my husband reckons I have indulged in too much retail therapy already. Wildpurl, your planned holiday in Wales sounds nice. We are also fans of welsh castle and a couple of years ago dreamed up a plan, with friends, to visit all 400 of them. Yes, that's not a typo, there really are at least 400, although some are only bumps in fields. So far not even managed 100 but had some lovely trips away, with the serious 'work' interspersed with good food and good company. Planning a weekend on the Gower peninsula in the summer. Lou and love wine, thanks for those practical ideas about visualisation, it sounds as if they could be really helpful. Finally, last but by no means least, Rosie, I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. And since you have done amazingly well so far I know it must be really rough. I hope you are beginning to feel a bit better. Is there nothing they can do about the vein problem?
rosie14

I have a dog and like you Kirstie I stroke her with my foot. She can't understand why I am not taking her for many walks.
Hubbie took me out in the car for lunch managed to eat most of a tuna pita but couldn't drag myself in the supermarket afterwards for shopping had to wait in the car. I couldn't get myself on a plane at the moment Kirstie to save my life!!! Trust you are getting around more easily and recovering from your latest incident? x
Kirstie77

Hi lovewine, no I haven't had that but I think that deffo needs a phone call just to be on the safe side xx.
Lovewine

I have 2 very loving border collies who also want to lick and try and sleep on my bed! Have had to discourage that of course!
Has anyone had lymphodemia? I have a sore arm and slightly swelled , did sleep with my arm over my head last night though so wonder if that's the cause.
loulou1262

Yes I have taken to the foot stroking, bless !! X

Kirstie77

Oh Rosie sorry to read this one has hit you hard, I'm not surprised your feeling sorry for yourself, your poor hand and the grilling schedule your on is really tough x

I'm glad you are feeling a little better today, I hope the call with your children helps you feel perkier xx you can't be a superstar all the time x. Just remember you are doing really well and have managed to do some amazing things whilst going through this, far more that I could even think about doing x

Loulou, I have a dogue de Bordeaux and she followed me around a lot at first but now less so she knows I don't really tough her at the moment it's hard isn't it, she is being very sweet though nd let me stoke her with my foot ! I am very germ paranoid ! Lol
loulou1262

Anyone got any pets, my black lab whos 8 cannot stop following me and staring in a sad way, he wont leave my side bless him. Shame I dont feel I can be that affectionate with him, he licks all the time and a bit worried about germs bless him, but hes a star xxx

Wildpurl

Yes I agree a tassimo machine sounds like a lovely treat, especially if it will give you the things you want to drink during and after your treatment.
rosie14

That sounds like a nice treat Lovewine!
No pic lines here in Cyprus just Louise they just use veins in your hand! x
Lovewine

Hi, Rosie, glad you are on the mend today- enjoy talking to your family! Treats and holidays are vital to have something to plan for. I treated myself to some nice clothes in the fat face sale and might look at buying a tassimo coffee machine as I gave a real craving for cappuccinos and hot chocolate!
Louise3721

Hi Rosie can u get a pic(?) not sure spelling right - line put in I have v fine veins and this may be the option for me as each session of chemotherapy damages the vein x
rosie14

Hi Louise still feel pretty sickly today although slightly better than yesterday. It will be an upward trend but I seem to be getting more sick feeling days as the treatment goes on!
Lou yes I am on Tac and yes constipation is an issue as is frequent urinating! The veins seem a little better today- but yesterday I told my husband that I couldn't possibly have another IV into the arm!! He said I had no choice! Positive for today, Skype day with my 3 children! x
loulou1262

Totally agree ladies ive just treated myself to a beautiful Clarins face oil, was a bit pricey but I deserve it xxx

Louise3721

Wildpurl absolutely it's vital we all have something to look forward to doesn't matter how big or small. I bought myself a bright red expensive lipstick to go with my shaved head. I am planning a big holiday but can't book it till this is all concluded but enjoying looking at lovely hotels. Xx
Wildpurl

Sorry you have been having a bad time Rosie, and glad to hear you are feeling a bit better today. I think you have coped so well with having the chemo every two weeks. When do you switch to the Herceptin and a slightly longer cycle? I think you will really notice the difference.

I've been enjoying a weekend at home this week, we have been able to make some progress with the gardening and today my son and daughter are coming round for lunch which will be lovely. I wore my wig to work on Friday and no one commented, I felt quite comfortable wearing it so I am happy I got it. Meanwhile, with lots of finger crossing and touching wood, there does not seem to be any sign of another period of shedding, the remaining hair covering seems stable.

OH and I have started planning a holiday in September, we would like to go to Wales near Snowdonia and walk and visit castles, it is nice to start thinking about something to look forward to. I am also planning a treat for myself when I am at the halfway point. What things are you looking forward to or would like to do to treat yourselves? I think we deserve some treats, don't you?
loulou1262

Morning

Hope you are better today Rosie, think your on Tac the same as me and I have terrible constipation.  Just keep an eye on your arm, im sure it will be fine but the chemo nurse warned me about pain around site and if it worsens to give them a ring xxxx

Louise3721

Rose so sorry you are suffering chin up I always know that I am on the mend when I can drink tea and eat Heinz tomato soup Positives well that's a hard one but the best I can manage is that u feel better today than u did yesterday so it's an upward trend x
rosie14

I had a really bad day yesterday I felt very sorry for myself. The veins in my left arm felt very bruised, I felt sick and didn't know what I wanted to eat or drink. Then to top it all had flu like symptoms last night. Seem to be better this morning and have drunk a cup of tea. Hope you are all well and enjoy the rest of the weekend. x
Louise3721

Ladies the power of laughter and positive thought should never be under estimated. We all have the right to moan and to worry but we all need to keep our heads high and our hearts light xx
rosie14

Hi Lou that is a humbling story to us indeed. In stead of dreading the chemo we should be embracing it as a saviour. Without it some of us wouldn't have 5 more years to live, not a pleasant thought. x
Lovewine

Hi Lou, what a wonderful positive lady beryl is!! I also spoke to a wonderful lady with kidney/ spine cancer who was also wonderfully positive in a very grim situation- she gave me a tip- I suffer from anxiety attacks in the night usually: i was given citalopram from g.p to help but I wake and panic and think oh my god I've got cancer etc. she said it helps if you visualise a big wooden chest and you pick up each of your fears/ worries and throw them in chest and shut it hard and sit on it so none of worries etc can get out until you open it again- felt a bit silly but it worked for me!!
Louise wig and nits issue!: do you wear that funny stocking cap under wig? I find it very hot and itchy if don't wear mine .
Eam28. Have a great night out tonight and have a large glass of wine for me!
Have a good day everyone x

loulou1262

Hi ladies 

I went for my 2nd round of Tac yesterday and met thd most amazing women...Beryl was 72 and had been diognosed 10 years ago initially with bc stage 4, they actually found the secondary before the primary site. Anyway she explained that she and 4 ladies had been asked to commence in a trial for herceptain, I am her neg but know some ladies are her pos. Her mantra was positive thinking ( when she said it, I thought heard it a million times, but because of her circumstances I listened, my thoughts before to anyone was walk in my shoes then try positive thinking!!)

Anyway she told me little story,  bit way out but I thought lovely,  Imagine you have 3 fire engines in your body and they have been asked to get rid of the intruder (Cancer)...then another intruder comes anxierty and negative thoughts, one fire engine has to leave to go and help your wonderful body elsewhere,  cos thats what it does protects us. Wouldn't you be better all 3 with the little blighter that's cancer ? Although she is 10 years stage 4 she wont let cancer consume her life. Beryl has fostered for the last few years dogs from the local dogs hospice until they are retrained to be homed and is also widowed,  she says she always has a project on the go and is looking forward to the next 5 years. As for the chemo she said it is the biggest positive I have in my life at the minute as its healing me, she said dont think of toxin but a wonderful friend that is swishing about clearing anything left. She was honest though, she said after treatment has finished dont feel scared carry on you got rid of the intruder,  hey some come back, if it does keep it in the one room like I have, Beryls is in her bones.. wonderful lady, hope its not too deep, really could do with a mini beryl for my pocket !!! When I went for chemo yesterday I wore my wig and was chuffed everyone was coming to have a look as they could not believe it was a wig, it did itch in the morning and was barely noticeable in the afternoon. Feel ok at the min but my SE  with tac hit at day 3 the worst last time so fingers crossed.  Have a lovely weekend ladies. Lou (ill stick to Lou on here as we have 2 Louises lol !! X)

rosie14

I know the itchy feeling of the wig and hairpiece Louise and it does feel like nits! I am much happier in just a scarf!
rosie14

Gosh Joan47 lucky you loosing 10 lbs. I am going up and down 3 pounds each way. Always more just after chemo I think due to all the liquids they pump you with and eating snacks rather than proper grub. I lost over 3 stone with SW last year so I am very stressed about putting weight back on! Hope you managed to sleep?
joan47

Hello fellow insomniacs. 2.30am. I have been mulling over Louise's post about saying something positive alongside all the bad stuff. Some of my pluses about this FEC-ing treatment are: losing 10lb and going down a dress size so now able to fit into clothes I last wore 2 years ago (not a diet I would recommend but at least no need to go to slimming classes); husband doing most of the housework; guilt-free lying around reading and listening to music. I also agree that it helps to see the funny side.
That said I think the unique feature of this group is that we can feel free of any (self-imposed) obligation to be positive and and cheerful. I am fortunate that I haven't yet been down in the depths (sometimes I think there must be something wrong with me) and indeed with one group of friends I communicate with largely by email I have deliberately tried to take a light-hearted, joking approach. But I am aware that this may change and I may feel the need to shout and scream to an anonymous group of fellow travellers on the same b....dy long road. Now Feel sleeping pill beginning to take effect so will close before I become incoherent.