73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

alice45

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Joan, re routine mammograms - yes, that's exactly how mine was discovered. I went for a routine scan and was recalled for repeat, ultrasound and biopsy to reveal totally undetected tumour. The amazing thing is, the routine scan was 5 months before the 3 years was up. As the tumour was grade 3 invasive, goodness knows what the situation would have been if I hadn't been scanned until the 3-year date. Diagnosis 3 December last year, surgery 21 December (clear margins first time by skillful surgeon) and am now anticipating my last dose of chemo (FECx6) with radiotherapy to follow. So I am telling anyone who will listen - don't miss your routine scan!

rosie14

Lovewine its a good job the men didn't have to stay home when the children were little, they would have been constantly sleeping! Glad you enjoyed your meal and that you have left overs to enjoy today! x
rosie14

Happy Birthday Tlj glad you are having a great day! Thank you for your advice re dairy products I will try this and see if things settle down. x
Lovewine

Yes happy birthday! Roast dinner sounds lovely: enjoy!!
Kirstie77

I hope you have a good birthday xx
Tlj63

Joan, I had my breast cancer diagnosed via my first screening mammogram. Where I live you get sent a letter from the GP to tell you to sign up for the screening programme. I was 50 last May and eventually got round to sorting myself out with an appointment in the January. They found 2 very small lumps in one breast. I always wonder what would have happened if I had gone a few months earlier. Perhaps the lumps would have been so small they would have missed them and then I would have waited another few years before the next mammo. Since then 2 of my friends have been diagnosed as well, they were symptomatic, but I think they acted swiftly because of me!
Rosie, whenever I have ever had an upset tummy I have always been advised to avoid dairy products for a couple weeks and then reintroduce slowly. My sister in law once had dysentery and was taking months to recover. She stopped dairy for 4/6 weeks, then reintroduced slowly and was then fine.
My positive for today is that it is my birthday, so my husband and kids have bought me some lovely presents which would not normally happen as we don't normally make a big deal about birthday presents. Tonight my husband is going to cook roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, so really looking forward to that too. Sun is shining, life is sweet.
Jo_BCC

Hi Joan,

If you ever need to ask anything, as you will know, the forum users here have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them, plus our helpline team are just a free phone call away and are here to support you through this, no question is a silly question everything is relevant so don't hesitate to call.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open Monday-Friday 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 (due to the Bank Holiday the lines are closed on Monday this week).

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

joan47

Aargh! You are evil ladies with all this talk about cakes which I am trying to resist. Not all that successfully in the last couple of days it has to be said. Yesterday afternoon went across to my daughters and, yes, she had cakes, today going out for lunch to a National Trust place and guess what, there will be pudding and their teas are so nice. Perhaps a good walk around the grounds will balance it out? Who am I kidding. I now have purple nails, courtesy of my daughter, as an experiment prior to TAX. Will probably remove prior to seeing oncologist when I will ask about it in case very against. Incidentally, do others normally have a nurse present at the pre-chemo assessments. I never do but think it would be useful. I also don't have an allocated breast care nurse at the hospital where I have the chemo. I do have one at the hospital where I see the surgeon and wish I had one at both. Sometimes I have questions too minor/non-urgent to bother the acute helpline but don't know who else to ask.
Rosie, so sorry you are still troubled but at least you had a nice meal even if you had to pay for it. Better than the horrible diet you were stuck on before. I would blame the orange juice and keep with the more exciting food.
Yes, I too recognise the exhausted husband syndrome. Mine also complains of sleeping badly when he means he woke up once or couldn't get back to sleep after 5.30!when to me that would be a brilliant night. But he is being very helpful. Pity he can't really cook, the only cooking technique he has mastered is grilling. Love wine i so envy your genuine Cantonese meal. Since the chemo Chinese food is one if the few things I have fancied. Big mistake last night though. Did a stir fry (lazy version with largely pre-prepared vegs and sauce) and set my already very sore mouth on fire.
Jackie, I hope someone can put your mind at rest about the blood counts. Iit does seem to be just one if the possible side effects of chemo, maybe related to the dosage. How fortunate that you know people with expertise. I hope they are helpful. What a pity about your holiday. I had to cancel a trip to the states but it was work-related so not the same sense of loss. We have trip to Barcelona planned in early Oct so hoping it won't clash with radiotherapy. Kirstie, being able to get away to a caravan whenever you feel like it sounds great. Hope you manage it.
Finally, talking about early diagnosis, did anyone else have their cancer picked up through a routine mammogram. I suspect most if you will be too young for this but I am very grateful that mine was detected in this way.
Lovewine

Morning everyone, hi Rosie you are up early!! - what a bloody nuisance you are still doing toilet trips all the time- hope it settles down soon, you must be well and truly fed up now with a restricted diet! Your evening out sounds nice tho, think it's important to do our normal things, and yes our O/H s do really with extra chores/ looking after us , but do seem to have a little nap afterwards to recover!! Bless them, makes you wonder how us super women managed it all doesn't it! Hope you have a better day with the toilet problems today!
Wildpurl, good that you are feeling better, and yes as Joan said it is really hard to not try and be as busy as we would like to be, I previously was always very busy, full time work, running the home and and always busy so it is very frustrating- the mind is willing but the body doesn't work! Must say tho the home made cakes sound delicious- a day at the seaside packed with homemade cakes in kirsties caravan sounds like bliss!
Jackie, hope you manage to rearrange your lovely trip to Antigua, it will be something positive to look forward too.
Smokeclouds, commiserations on football result yesterday, hope you had a good day at wembley though .
I had a lovely time at son and daughter in laws last night- lovely food and company, Vanessa, my lovely daughter in law is a wonderful cook, she baked lovely little Chinese tarts filled with lovely gooey custard type filling and I gorged on loads and she gave me a box full to bring home which I will finish off today!
rosie14

A very early morning from Cyprus I have been awake since 5.35am which will be 3.35 to you lot!
I am glad you all seem to be doing a little better. Jackie I do hope your blood count will go up. I am really worried that after my 2 week illness they are going to find mine low on Thurdsay! I have been better the last 4 days but I am still not clear. For instance, I managed to get myself out for a meal with some friends last night, they were all drinking wine I drank orange juice! I had Kleftico( lamb )and rice and veg followed by pancake and ice cream. I had to go to the loo twice in the restaurant and then once when we got home. This morning I have been twice! Have I really got to eat potatoes, bread, rice and dry crackers for the rest of my life? Sorry to moan on but I am more than a little concerned now!
Jackie have you postponed your trip to Antigua for when you have finished treatment?
I am liking the sound of these home made cakes Wildpurl do you think they would stay inside me?!
Let's hope its a good day for everyone.
On a funny note I asked DH if he could clean the fridge out yesterday, as it was one of those jobs I thought I would be able to do on better days. Well he put on the rubber gloves and it took him 1 and half hours! Then he made me an omelette for my lunch and after he had washed up he slept for 3 hours on the sofa. He started outside on the sunbed but came in because the flies were annoying him! Bless!!! I woke him up at 6.20pm as our friends were picking us up at 7.00pm. Managing to keep the business going and looking after me is obviously wearing him out! xxx

Wildpurl

Evening everyone, hope you have all enjoyed your days. I've had a much better day today, I went to Pilates again which always helps me feel better, and got some things done around the house too.

Joan, I'm the sort of person who likes to be busy, whether at home or at work, I always have lots of projects and to do lists, and one of the things I find hardest is not to be well enough to get on with all the things I want to do, so I really empathise with your post, resting or taking it easy does not come naturally to me.

EAM I also found my tumour by chance and feel very lucky that it was found in such an early stage that it could be treated. You are so right that things could have been very different.

Jackie, I'm sorry you had to miss your trip to Antigua for now. Are you planning to go when all this is behind you? I hope you can get some answers from someone about your bloods, but in the meantime maybe your body will just decide it's ready and your blood count will go up.
I'm sure some lovely homemade cakes would help you feel better. There is nothing quite so nice as a home made cake. We could all pop round for a slice and a cup of tea or water with a slice of lemon or whatever we can actually drink.

Kirstie your caravan sounds like a great idea 🙂 .

My positive today was home made fish and chips which OH cooked for me, they were delicious 🙂
Jackie09

Hello Everyone,

I hope today we are all feeling okay? I've been having silly thoughts re why my blood count won't go up - think have been all round the houses and am back to square one again. My husband has a few onc as clients, so we have rang one of those, as my onc didn't really come up with any answers, so we will wait to see what he has to say. I've read some other posts on different threads, and sim either ladies have had this issue, so that makes me less worried. Other thing that's making me feel sad is that we were supposed to go to Antigua yesterday. A positive though, is that I've been to the toilet this morning, and it didn't hurt! Only on a BCC forum can we write this and others know how much that is a cause for celebration!
Wildpurl I hope you are feeling a little better today? If it helps at all, I think your post at some point during everyday and could have written it myself.
Hi Lovewine - I'm in the East Midlands too. How was your meal? You are lucky having a great cook in the family - none of us are. I was thinking to myself that I might take up cooking. I remember reading about a lady who had depression, I think, and she began to bake a cake a day - and she said it helped her pull through. That maybe a bit adventurous for me, but I'm thinking of something similar!
Smokeclouds - you'll be at wembly now - my husband is watching downstairs as I type - but he's a notts county fan! I'm a liverpool fan, so have enjoyed the last season. Hope you're loving your day.
Kirstie - a caravan! How exciting just to hitch up and away you go! Hope you've had other movements too!
Joan - I'm anxious about tax too - but having a round delayed has brought it home to me how important this treatment is to me and now I'm hoping I can have it done! You could join me in a baking extravaganza!

Kirstie77

Yes will be great to get away I cant wait, just to break up the good week bad week low immune pattern x

I would love some Cantonese food mmmmm very nice x.

I am browsing the Internet now or things I may need lol
rosie14

Lovewine enjoy your meal with your son and daughter in law! x
Lovewine

Enjoy your caravan Kirstie, will be great just to pack up and go where you please!
I am off to my son and daughter in laws for dinner later this afternoon with younger son and husband! She is a brilliant cook( unlike me!), she is Chinese and makes fantastic Cantonese food- really looking forward to it especially now feeling ok.
Have a good day everyone, xx
rosie14

Kirstie how exciting to have a caravan are you going away in it this weekend? We used to have one when our kids were small and had some great family times! Hope the movicol has worked?
Wildpurl glad you are feeling a little better holiday research sounds exciting!
Smokeclouds hope you enjoy your visit to Wembly!
EAM you are so young to be having to go through this and with such a young daughter I take my hat off to you its all I can do to manage the dog!
TLj I am liking your oncologist...re red wine!!!
I am going on an adventure today to the supermarket with DH!!!! I have put my Heather's hairpiece on under my headscarf and DH said I almost looked normal with hair!!!!! Have a good day everyone!!!!! xxxxx
Kirstie77

Thanks ladies, no movement yet.

I'm working2 days per week from home Mondays and Tuesdays, I think they can still make me redundant but they have to make sure the cross all their Ts and dot the i's, what will be will be I suppose x at least we got the van lol

I am now eating prunes today will be the day 0)
EAM28

Hi kirstie,I know what you mean with regards to what people say. I have found myself avoiding certain people when I walk down the street as I know the ones that are going to tilt their head annoying things & it gets monotimus with the same reply all the time! Sounds horrid I know but I'd rather surround myself with people that are going to be normal with me & talk about other things! You've got every right to feel like this - you didn't have a great start,then your leg & now your job! Fingers crossed for you. We don't need more stress on top of this!
I had a bit of a problem with bowels this time. The orange juice didn't seem to work like normal. I think a few cups of tea & a long walk helped with movement in the end!
The caravan sounds great! At least you can pretty much just go somewhere whenever you feel like it. An accaintance of ours has a caravan down in Cornwall & he actually said we could go down & use it any time. His wife & daughter have both been through this so obviously knows its good to just get away when you feel well in between things!
Hope everyone has a nice wkend. I'm going food shopping today so I can do loads of baking. Going to have family over on sunday. Trying to make the most of feeling well.
Hope everyone feeling better now that most of us are a week on from last round xxxx
joan47

Didn't get on here yesterday, such a lot of thoughtful posts in response to Wildpurl that I feel I can only add my commiserations and hopes that you are now feeling a bit better. I have been feeling more fed up than usual, though nothing dramatic. I suspect it is partly to do with being halfway, which reminds us of how far there is to go, anxiety about TAX, and whatever lies beyond that and also frustration at the limitations on our lives. I have gone from being something of a workaholic, trying to resist working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day or more, never enough time, to suddenly having all the time in the world and struggling to fill the days. Most of the time I try to be positive and see it as an opportunity and other times I just want to scream. Having things to look forward to is vital, even if quite pathetically minor, to break up the days, which can seem so long.

Kirstie. Are you on sick leave. Are there any protections against redundancy for people on sick leave?
Ann123

You have a rant girl...it is **bleep**e.  I finished chemo in Jan and rads in March. 2014

and got fed up of people talking **bleep**e.  Just take one day at a time keep your chin up

and have a rant on here. Hope the movicol kicks in soon. Enjoy the caravan

Good to treat yourself him. Take care .Annxxxxx

Ann123

You have a rant girl...it is **bleep**.  I finished chemo in Jan and rads in March. 2014

and got fed up of people talking **bleep**.  Just take one day at a time keep your chin up

and have a rant on here. Hope the movicol kicks in soon. Enjoy the caravan

Good to treat yourself him. Take care .Annxxxxx

Kirstie77

Smokeclouds great mate, great text x

Wildpurl it's is a roller coaster of emotions, I hope you are feeling better today, one think that i have really been unable to tolorate is people telling me to stay positive, like we have anyother choice but to get on with it. I know they mean well but actually somedays I may just want say this is a bit sh1t! And I hate the "well I know someone who had BC and she was blah blah" she isn't me, and people seem to think that once the treatment it over that's it, which yes for me I intend to put ths to the back of my mind and move on, but with the daily pills and the worry of return I'm sure it's not going to be that simple. Sorry that's a bit if an early morning rant, I'm constipated and have taken lots of movicol stuff in the last 24 hours so am waiting for movement, ignore me I'm full of sh1t ! ;0)

I feel like all I ever put on here is the crap stuff, I got a phone all at home yesterday, work are making 15-20 redundancies I will find out if I'm one of the next Friday.

On a positive, we bought a really cheap old caravan yesterday (before the news) it's our escape, I got a small loan to ay off a credit card and get it - in the words of the my daughter YOLO ! (You only live once) x

Hugs to everyone xx

Hope everyone has a good day.
EAM28

Well what a lot to take in but all so valid right now! My thoughts & feelings have totally echoed yours lots of times wildpurl - I could really relate to your post. So glad you've brightened up now.
There's going to be lots of highs & lows but we've all got to get to our destination of being free of this crappy thing we've got - we can't get off this train when we don't like the look of the scenery.
Really good to read each & every one of your posts. We cant help how all the treatments ahead make us feel - out of our hands just like the cancer. I still think even now after 6months (as it feels like yesterday) what if I hadn't found that lump?? It sounds cheesy but I feel that my daughter has saved my life! Could have been a totally different story & now we will all be monitored more closely over the coming years. I get tearful & fed up & sometimes its hard to snap out of - doesn't matter what anyone says but most of the time I actually feel lucky xxxx
Smokeclouds

Wildpurl - you're very welcome. He is a very kind man but he knows when it's time to call a spade a spade with me. That text, amongst other things he's said, really helped me to put the chemo and all the crap that comes with it into perspective. I hope it helps you in the same way. And yes, I've read that text most days since I got it, just to remind me x
Wildpurl

LOL well I think that qualifies as my positive for today Tij63!

Smokeclouds, thank you for kindly quoting your friend's very moving and definitely to the point text, I really appreciate your sharing it, and can see myself reading those words again over the next few months. A friend of mine is doing #100happydays, maybe I will give it a go as well

I didn't get in the garden after all today but have had a lovely relaxing afternoon with OH, probably what we both needed, and he is doing holiday research while I am about to go and cook dinner. I'm feeling a lot better, thank you all again.

Wildpurl x

Tlj63

Smoke, my oncologist said there was some evidence that having some red wine during chemo was beneficial! So enjoy.
Lovewine

Smokeclouds enjoy wembley tomorrow, I am from the East Midlands so will be cheering you all!. And yes the diet / lifestyle thing is not worth dwelling on- I also drank far too much in my youth and probably now- hence my forum name of lovewine!! Because I do - in fact now I feel more human again I am going to have a large glass of red tonight!! It's easy to think what we have or have not done to get this bleep disease, but I agree concentrating on getting thro the next few months is more important than taking diet advice from do-gooders!!
Hope you all have a nice bank holiday weekend without too many side effects.
Smokeclouds

Wildpurl - think back to a month ago & I was posting about feeling exactly the same. Now I'm in a different frame of mind. I'm 3 down and 3 to go so halfway through the chemo. Yes I've got the mastectomy & radio therapy to come but honestly I couldn't give two f**ks about that, chemo was my dread from the first moment . I think it's natural to feel that way at some point. You know my very supportive friend? Well here's a couple of extracts from a very long text he sent me after I'd told him how I was feeling. It's stark but very to the point and was just the kick up the backside I needed
"There's absolutely nothing wrong in feeling how you do.
And of course you're not strong 100% of the time, nobody is.
I'm sure everybody who goes through the **bleep** you're going through, feels the same.
The game face is the mask everybody wears. It's the eyes that are the hardest to disguise. Always carry sunglasses 😎
There is one redeeming fact about that c*nt cancer.
It forces you to really face your immortality head on.
It throws up complications that simplifies your life.
You live or you die. That's it!
And as it's done to you. Gives you not so much the strength, but forces your hand in life.
You get over it or you don't.
If you do do you carry on as before or change things. As you're doing.
And that's probably scarier than the disease itself.
That you have no control over. It's also a no brainer.
Being alive has got to be better than dead. You can change things if you're alive.
And that is scary that prospect.
But it's way better than not being able to."
So no matter how crap the chemo is Wildpurl and how crappy you feel, we have it to stay alive. It's a few weeks of crap to hopefully give us many more years of good times. I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. And you should vent on here, we all know how you're feeling x

Rosie - glad you're feeling a bit more with it & that lady sounds like a nightmare to talk to. Yes you need to hear the realism of chemo but you don't need a doom and gloom merchant

Kirstie - glad you've joined the halfway club!

EAM - I've had 'helpful' advice on the food front. Right now I'm concentrating on getting through my treatment, I'll worry about my continuing lifestyle when I beat this thing. Tbh my lifestyle to now has probably contributed - I've smoked on and off since I was 13 (currently 6 days smoke free) , drunk too much, indulged in illegal substances in my past & been overweight for years. The bugger is that I decided to clean up my act a year ago and have been training for a 10k, cut back massively on my drinking & have lost 2 stone. So this feels a little like a kick in the teeth right now

Booksandwine - great news about the tumour. I'm sorry you didn't really get the right information about the reconstruction. I was told at diagnosis that it wouldn't happen for 6-24 months after finishing all other treatment so I've got used to the idea of being lopsided for a while.

Jackie - hope you get to have your chemo next week & you're not delayed any more.

And me.... Well I've had a hard time swallowing food down this week so I phoned the unit & had to go into hospital for blood cultures etc. Fortunately cell count is still good & it seems I'd developed a throat infection that had spread a little further down my food pipe. More meds & today I can finally eat for that isn't mushed up

My positive - I know it sounds a bit strange but I've started to do the #100happydays on Instagram & I've found it's helping me massively to see a positive in each day 🙂

Off to Wembley tomorrow to watch my beloved Derby 🙂
Lovewine

Meant treat! Sorry wasn't wearing glasses sorry for typing errors!
Lovewine

Hi Wildpurl, we all know how you are feeling today and really sympathise, I had a wobble a couple if weeks ago and felt like giving up on chemo as really fed up feeling so crap, the year seems never ending and all we want is our old life back, I would give anything to fe " normal" again doin g normal, boring things, instead of feeling like a crippled old lady, sending you a hug and hope you can do something nice at the weekend!!
It is good to get the feelings out as bottling things up makes it much worse the ladies on our thread are all so lovely and supportive and truly know what it feels like to go through this hideous experience, you are strong and am sure will feel different tomorrow!! Be kind to yourself and have a nice truest. Xx

Wildpurl

Thank you all for your replies.

busyanne, I always find it helpful to hear from someone further down the road than me and who has got through a much longer journey. I think it is normal to have ups and downs and I especially notice it at the transition from feeling bad to feeling normal again. I know I will pick myself up and get on with it, but sometimes I just need to have the wobbles and let them out. Good luck with the last part of your treatment!

rosie you have been such a tower of strength on this forum, after the last few weeks I am not surprised you have had enough, but I know you will keep going as I will. I was hoping to get into the garden today, which is something I always enjoy, and as we have a long weekend here there is a chance to do a lot of catching up, unfortunately it is chucking it down here and I have not been able to get out, I think that makes me think about the times I could have got on with things but was not well enough and is part of why I have had these feelings today. If it clears up and I can do some later it will help a lot.

I am looking forward to the long weekend and OH and I have planned some nice meals (as my taste is nearly normal again) and a walk. However, the next treat I have lined up at the moment is in September when we are planning a holiday. I wanted to wait a bit so I would be sure to be OK to enjoy an active holiday, but perhaps it is a bit too far off and I could do with some smaller things to look forward to in the next couple of months. I have planned to spend a day with my daughter in August, as she is away in the Congo in July, but again that is after the end of the chemo. I need something in June and July! I will give it some thought, thanks for the suggestion.

Loulou, you are absolutely right, why shouldn't we have times when we feel bad, I think the feelings need to be let out or they just go underground and cause problems later. It's great that this forum exists because you really are the only ones who understand. I agree with you I want to get on and get through the rest of my chemo but at the same time I don't want to do it. So far looking back it has gone quite quickly, and I'm sure that I will feel the same looking back when I get to the end. But some of the days have been quite long nonetheless...

I hope you all have good days 🙂

loulou1262

Hi Wildpurl

Sorry you feel low today, but hey why not, why shouldn't we have days like that. Be kind to yourself though, were going through so much...people say to me 'your so brave', I'm not im just coping the best way I can, but its bloody hard. I am having my third chemo next week and dreading it in one way and desperate for it in another as I want to finish it. I do feel that time has flown since it started and hope that continues.  We will all get through it and then the rads and for me 10 years of hormone tablets, but so be it. My onc said the best way to treat cancer is to chuck everything at it the first time, so bring it on and lets get rid of this nasty little sh*t thats taken residence in our wonderful bodies... Take care and chin up xxxx

rosie14

Wildpurl it does you good to pour out your heart to folk, that even you don't know them, they understand how you are feeling because we are all in this together. Because I have been so ill this round I have felt that I didn't want to carry on putting my body through this ordeal. My daughter said to me "mum what would you say to me if I was talking about giving up?" And of course I would want her to carry on and complete the course! My regime is changing to 3 weekly and the next is looming ahead next Thursday. 3 weeks later I have to have Herceptin added. Have you got an event coming up to look forward to? Can you get your family to arrange something or do you have a close friend you can call and do something with them on a better day?
Feel better soon! x
June_BCC

Hello Wildpurl

I am sorry to read that you are feeling so low at the moment.  Maybe you could talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

busyanne

Wldpurl, this is normal.  I think we all feel that when we are going through chemo.  I used to look at it in the half full way.  I would tell myself that I have completed half the course of treatment and now had the half to do. focus on the benefits of treatment and that it wont be long until its all over.  I started treatment last May and am nearing the end of my herceptin treatment.  In some respects I cant wait until its over but in another way I feel I like the support I get at the treatment centre.  BC has such a massive impact on our psychological health that its natural to feel up and down.  You will get through it as I said I have and I had loads of wobbly days.  Take care.

Wildpurl

Morning, I'm having a bit of a wobble today for some reason. It's not that I'm feeling worse either, in fact I'm definitely feeling a lot better today and much closer to normal. Maybe that's what has triggered it, but I'm just feeling really weepy and fed up and not wanting to carry on with chemo. I'm really anxious about starting the Tax, and I know that I just don't want to have it. At the same time, I know that's not logical and when the day comes I'll turn up as usual and go through it.

Even though I am now half way, the remaining cycles seem to stretch ahead for such a long time, and I am totally fed up with not feeling right. I also realise it could be months after the chemo finishes that I start returning to some kind of normal and for some reason today I feel as if I just can't or don't want to cope any more.

Sorry everyone, I know this isn't helping you or me but I just needed to get these feelings off my chest.

I'm sure I'll be back to my normal positive self soon.
rosie14

I am feeling much better thanks Jackie although not completely out of the woods yet! I have just sent DH for fish and chips which probably isn't a wise decision, but I am fed up with rice, potatoes and a small amount of meat Its make or break time!!!!
Great news TLJ about your son you must be very proud.
Glad to hear that you have now completed the next round Kirstie and hope you won't feel too bad over the next few days!
Joan47 hope you enjoyed your day!
Wildpurl hope you enjoyed pilates classs?
Lovewine I think you are right we are the unlucky ones that cancer has chosen no matter what we have eaten, drunk, smoked, stress ......... and so on!
Jackie09

Yes Rosie, will have to wait a week and hope for the best. I've even had the injections to boost - maybe I've just got slow growing cells? How is your tummy today?
I know Lovewine - have a look good feel better course booked and another therapy session booked in around the treatment weeks so fingers crossed they can be easily changed

Have just done the pop up thing Joan - thank you!! And please don't dwell too much on the whys of cancer - as others have said - people who are super healthy still get it - I think there's no rhyme or reason to it
Kirstie - hope the next few days are good to you and glad others are seeing light at the end of this round's tunnel
Great news about your sonTLJ63 - you must be very proud
Wildpurl - enjoy your Pilates class
Lovewine

Jackie, sorry to hear that- it hits hard when things don't go as planned .
rosie14

Oh Jackie I am so sorry. Will you have to wait a clear week? x
Jackie09

Couldn't have my treatment today - bloods too low 😞
Kirstie77

Hi all sorry lots of catching up to do so sorry for anything I may miss x

Rosie so pleased you have a few hours respite x

books and wine, I had my mastectomy before chemo but I'd had a lumpectomy first. They surgeon told be that they did offer reconstructing at the same time but generally only to those they think could not cope with no chest, but the on the whole do not recommend it, this is because if there is not a good clearance of the chest wall they have to do radiotherapy and this needs to be targeted and can cause further problems if reconstruction has been done. They are unable to tell how good the clearance is until the results come back following the mastectomy.

I had a good clearance but won't get my reconstruction until early next year, I was told in advance reconstruction can only take place 1 year following the completion of your treatment in I need radio therapy to give the skin chance to heal because it can become tight and not flexible at first. I found it quite tough to take in but that was the reason they gave me and like everything else you do get used to it pretty quickly and my scars are really neat surprisingly so xx - better than my leg !

As for the acupuncture experience EAM I am surprised you didn't acu punch her ! Some people just do not think, I went to a support group for a talk on nutrition and the girl practically said it was be because we ate the wrong things x Rosie, another lady said she had a scribble pad for her bad days, see finished treatment in 2011, she said we could meet up and cry together, I couldn't get out of there quickly enough and they had free wine ! Needless to say I stick to here and my friends!

I have put on 1 stone and a 1/4 it's driving me mad but I can't top eating it makes me feel better, I've got a juicer to swap something's out instead x but you need a whole lot of fruit for a glass of juice !

Well I joined the half way club yesterday, it knocked me out like a brick yesterday and really took me by surprise but today I feel much better than I did.

Hope your all feeling okay this week x
joan47

Booksandwine. It's great news that your tumour has shrunk, makes all the horrors of chemo worthwhile. But how disappointing, and strange, that you have been given different info about the timing of reconstruction after surgery. Perhaps the breast cancer helpline can give you further info, it may be something about which there are different approaches.
Tlj, good news about your son and something for you and him to look forward to and focus on.
Eam, I think you're very brave to go for acupuncture but what a pity that woman felt she had a right to lecture you. I suppose she thought she was being helpful.
Rosie glad things are improving but what a pity about your friends friend. It sounds as if she really needed to talk to someone about her experience. Perhaps, ironically, you may have helped her.
Like others I am feeling stronger today and hoping to do a little bit of work. Hoping the brain can engage. I might even get on the exercise bike! Although I heartily agree with other postings about the randomness of cancer I confess to feeling somewhat responsible because I have struggled with my weight for years and just after I was diagnosed read about a new piece of research saying that this was correlated with increased cancer risk. One of the positive aspects of chemo for me has been losing weight and losing my desire for sweet thins, esp chocolate. I doubt, though, that the C-plan diet will catch on! Hoping won't be cancelled out by TAX.
Tlj63

Hi ladies, glad we are mostly getting over our latest dose of chemo. I have to admit this one has taken me a bit longer to recover from. Haven't really bounced back yet, but not feeling sick so I suppose I can't complain.
My brain is pretty useless, can't concentrate on anything too complicated.
Good news is that my son passed his school entrance exam so I'm now trying to comprehend the email containing loads of information about what he is to expect in September. Hope he can get his head round it because I'm struggling! He's so excited he keeps looking the school up on the internet and telling me all the things he can do.
I agree with you guys about the diet thing. Eat healthy and balanced is my mantra. Not a believer in excluding certain food groups.
Wildpurl

Morning everyone, sounds like you all have a bit more energy today, which is good, and pleased to hear you might be on the mend Rosie.
I have found acupuncture beneficial in the past, and as it works by balancing the flow of energy in the body and this must be seriously disrupted by chemo, I can imagine it could help with recovery from chemo, I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it EAM. I have considered having shiatsu during chemo for the same reason. As for the diet side of things, I am a believer in a healthy balanced diet to support good overall health. I think that there is quite frankly a lot of superstition around about what causes or can treat cancer, the only real advances in treatment - and there have been advances, which we are benefitting from - have come from painstaking scientific research. Our doctors know what treatment to give us because the evidence says it works, but that said we can help our recoveries by looking after our health and eating well. I think sometimes people get confused between treating cancer and looking after ourselves to ensure recovery from treatment if you see what mean.

As for your motivational buddy Rosie 😉 I have to say that I'm becoming less and less willing to listen to any negative input or stories right now. I need to focus on my own story I guess and I can't cope with being dragged down by anyone else. Two people may go through the exact same experience and one may perceive it as doable and the other may find it too much. I think we are all pretty courageous and doing well, and that's what counts!

My positive today is that I didn't have to get up at 4 am this cycle and drive to Glasgow for a funeral! It's a nice day and I have a Pilates class this morning then hopefully some gardening this afternoon. Day 7 and gradually feeling more normal, hope the same is true for all of you

Wildpurl x
booksandwine

EAM. I agree with Louise. Eat chocolate. ! Cancer doesn't choose between fit healthy or non healthy. We have enough to deal with to go sugar free or anything right now.

Q have had scans and meeting with specialist this week. Good news tumour has shrunk by half. Bad news earlier I was told we will do chemo first due to MRI and scrink then masectomy and reconstruction and rads. Got told yesterday masectomy and delayed reconstruction Very annoyed as only want one op reason seems to be effect rads will have. Is anyone similar and can you rads first
EAM28

You certainly do get a bit bitter I'm afraid love wine! My lifestyle sounds the same as yours so after DX & this advice I'm like what the blooming hell can I change?! I nearly said I couldn't be a bridesmaid but then thought I wouldn't want to miss it for the world for my lovely friend & its a goal for me & hopefully be looking back on all this by then so will be a good feeling,new years eve will be even better for all of us won't it!:).
Xxxx
EAM28

Thank you Louise & Rosie! Your both right in that you can't get hung up too much on all that stuff - some people can go a bit overboard! And like you say - got to enjoy life - even more so after this! When she came back in the room to check on me during treatment she said 'your not as relaxed as you should be' - hardly surprising with the amount of info she had just given me ! She basically said 'you don't want this coming back do you - so need to eat like this...' Crikey!! And at the end of the day I went there for acupuncture not for her to preach her diet views on me without even asking what I eat anyway! You're right Louise - no facts about sugar & things like that on the good websites like this or Macmillan. We certainly are just un-lucky.
Auw no Rosie that lady's attitude towards it all was the last thing you needed to hear! We all know (you better than all of us) that its no walk in the park but is different for everyone & is what it is,but she could have been a bit more positive & encouraging! Fingers crossed things are settling down for you & you can have two nice weeks before your next one - you certainly deserve it! Xxxx
Lovewine

Eam, yes I had similar food advice too at beginning of chemo and went stupid in not eating b...er all!! I was told too it's got nothing at all to do with what we have/ have not done- it's a crap random disease that has landed on us!. Previously I was never overweight, never smoked, didn't set red meat and walked my dogs 2/3 miles every day and was very healthy: well it's made no difference to me getting it- so now I have started eating meat again and whatever I want, including loads of sweets for the sickness etc, even wished I had gorged on crappy burgers and smoked 60 fags a day - you can get quite bitter can't you!
I think a little of what you want in a varied diet is fine, but it is so easy to get into these ' healthy food' diets.
Eam, what a nice day to look forward to as a bridesmaid, hopefuly be feeling much better by then- roll on 2015 , this year really is a total write off in many ways, but weddings are a boost, and you too Rosie with your sons wedding in July to look forward too.
With Louise on questionable motivational skills of your "helpful lady!" We need positivity right now!!
Have a better Thursday everyone,.. We are halfway. X
Louise3721

Rosie14 does this lady do motivational speaking??? Good grief she was all you needed! Honestly no one can say how you will react to chemotherapy because we are all different. My work like to tell me about a lady who still manages to live her life. The fact that she is 15 years younger than me and does not have to work and her family are very well off oh and she does not happen to have type 1diabetes isnt important All of us are unique so it stands to reason all our reactions to this will be different.