69237members
363533posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Evening everyone,

Nice to see that people seem to be returning to normal and that those of you that are having your first Tax are not faring too badly either. If only there was a crystal ball that could tell us exactly how we were going to feel and for how long ? It's such a nice feeling getting back to normal, I just keep thinking now that this time next cycle my side effects will be disappearing and not coming back ... can't wait... they can do one  and really wont be missed !

Had a bit of a mixed weekend although mainly becasue of migraine rather than anything else ... have headaches anyway so don't think it was particularly linked to chemo but who knows, anyway Saturday wiped out but better yesterday and fine today.

Have been out all day today, meeting re work. Up until now I've had a sick note too but have been doing some work at home, external meetings etc (I work in a school so I've not been in much, lots of germs I want to keep away from) but have had to get my sick note changed to a fit note that specifies I am fit to work, light duties, home working etc as wildpurl says,  employers shouldn't be letting you work without the medical clearance. Again, for me, work is about keeping things as normal as possible. To be honest I'm not being that productive but enjoy thinking that I am lol 

Still have a burnt feeling in my mouth but taste coming back and its much easier to eat and drink and enjoy doing so.

Have also been looking at a week's holiday mid July, after last chemo and before rads start but not booked anything yet .... does anyone know if I'm going to have any problem with travel insurance?

Lovewine, how do you feel about meeting up sometime this week or early next. I'm happy to come over that way, I have a friend in Lutterworth that I am hoping to catch up with soon, so I could meet you and then go on there either before or after ??

Can't keep up with individual posts but hi to Nellie, as someone else has said, this particular thread is so helpful and a lovely sociable supportive group too.

Have a good evening

Lisa 

Welcome Nellie, you will find this group of ladies a great source of help and support, I know I certainly do!! Regarding tooth loss, I can remember reading posts of a lady in december thread she lost several teeth and you can't have dental treatment whilst having chemo, when I read your post I could have written it myself, I had Tax 12 days ago after 3 Fec, I fared ok on Fec and bounced back to normal after a couple of days, Tax hit me about 3 days after, I have never had such overwhelming fatigue and bad bone aches, even this week the tiredness is awful, I do agree though that a gentle walk and keeping active helps- good luck 😃😃
Jos, great you didn't have any reaction and all went well, fingers crossed your s/E's are minimal, and it must be disappointing to cancel trip to N.Z, but next year will come around very quickly and you will be back to full strength by then too!
Jackie, Tax maybe won't affect you too badly, as ladies say everyone's s/e are different, good luck and it's another ticked off!
Booksandwine glad you are picking up, Rosie, yes the end is in sight! My last chemo is July 16th yay!!, am not sure if mine is a mastectomy yet, but if so I agree with you and rather have both lopped off at same time as I can't bear to go through this again either!!
Wildpurl, good for you booking some time off, days out are essential for our well being!!
Thinking of all you other ladies and hope you are ok x

Booksandwine glad you are feeling brighter. I am having surgery after chemo probably mid August. I think the surgery will not be as bad as the chemo I am certainly glad the end is in sight. My eyebrow are disappearing now lost all my bottom lashes. I am going to need a good makeover for son's wedding in August!

Well done Jos, another one done. Glad it went well and that it was enjoyable to have your friend there. I think that's good advice about keeping moving.

On the subject of working, my GP has also signed me off until the end of August, but I told him I wanted to try to work two weeks out of every three, one at home and one in the office, and he put that on the certificate as an adjustment to my working conditions which would allow me to work. I think if you don't have something saying you can work if you can work from home, or two days a week, or whatever the adjustment is, then your employer cannot let you work. If you would really like to work you could probably ask your GP to issue a new certificate with adjustments listed and if your work agrees then you should be OK. But you have quite a lot on your plate already!

Booksandwine, so pleased to hear you are doing better 🙂

I've just booked a whole lot of days off in August and early September, as I don't want to work full time again right away, I fancy some me time. I've booked at least one day a week off and hope to go walking, meet up with a friend in London, go out with my daughter etc.

Hi booksandwine, I'm sorry your post has appeared a bit strangely there.

We have a button that can be added to posts to create a 'spoiler', which hides text. It looks like it's been activated when you posted your reply earlier. If this continues to happen, please do let us know and we'll look into this for you.

Warm wishes,

Helen 

Glad all went well jos it was good you had a friend with you that has been through the experience. She is probably right about keep moving as I am on day 4 and I can feel my legs and stomach starting to ache. So I think I will take the dog for just a little walk down the road!

Oh and one helpful tip my friend did give me for Tax was to keep moving each day.  She said the first cylce of Tax she was resting a lot and on day 4 had a car journey and then a lot of sitting around at a friends and the aches and pains hit her really hard.  She said that after that she made sure she walked every day and was more active and things were much better and cycles 5 and 6 were easier.

She also did the black nail varnish thing.  I'm still not sure about this as i've read elsewhere not to use nail varnish so you can monitor what's going on.  I think the dark varnish thing is something to do with a uv light reaction with Tax.  Anyway, part of me rather likes the idea of bringing out the inner goth!  Will have a think...

Hello all

Back from the first Tax and, hurray, no allergic reaction (my main worry).  I took my friend who has been through all this herself and we had a good chat and a laugh so I have to say it wasn't an unpleasant couple of hours!  My blood results were so surprising that I thought the nurse had put the decimal stops in the wrong places and asked her to double check but they were right so WBC, platelets and neuts higher than pre-chemo which makes me feel very happy.  Those GCFS injections must be working.

Welcome Nellie and good luck for the Tax.  As you can see, just done the first Tax and got through that although I'm well aware that the side effects will come later!  Like you I fared pretty well on FEC with very few side effects so coming in to Tax with the strong feeling that my luck is surely going to run out.  I just keep reminding myself we are all individuals and we will all react differently.  Also, one person is highly unlikely to get ALL the side effects going so all we can do is wait and see.  I'm finding this board really lovely and supportive so I hope you do too.  Btw, I have never heard or read anything about tooth loss.  Maybe it's very rare or could perhaps be related to other underlying problems?

Wildpurl - hoping the working from home going ok -well done for doing that.  I keep saying to work I could do some from home but I have been signed off for 6 months and they have been very good at keeping work away from me!

Rosie - that's wonderful that you are booking a holiday.  It's great to have something to look forward to.  I was due to take my daughter to NZ to visit my sister on a big mum and daughter trip this summer and we have obviously had to cancel so my goal is to get there next summer instead.

Jackie - good luck for Thursday.  Even though we've done chemo already and know what to expect on a certain level, putting a new drug in the mix brings on all those anxieties and what ifs again.  It seems relentless sometimes.

I hope everyone else is doing ok today and that aches and pains are diminishing for those further along in the cycle.

x

Spoiler
Hi sorry its been a while - been trying to catch up on all threads in forum
Spoiler

Spoiler
Well my tastbuds are starting to come back and my mouth is not sore anymore  -  was around 12 days from first tax - I am so hoping tax 2 on Tuesday next week will not be as bad or as long and as drawn out - been knackered and still am pretty wiped out most of the time.  But starting to feel more like me
Spoiler

Spoiler
I was going to ask re surgery masectomy as I got the impression most peoplr had surgery and then the chemo - I am looking to have a bi- lateral in mid August - in time for my birthday - happy birthday to me date not yet set and then in 2015 my reconstruction.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Thanks to you all for your support and kind words hope all of you are well

Good afternoon everyone,
Hello Nellie and welcome to our group. I'm sorry I can't help with the tax question - I'm due to start on Thursday, but I'm sure the other ladies will be happy to share their experiences with you.

I'm feeling fine at the moment, but trying to stay in a positive mind for Thursday - banishing those "what ifs .......". All my little head hairs are coming out which is annoying - and I'm developing a nice receding hair line! Ditto re eyelashes and brows. Going to meadowhall tomorrow to get some nail supplies, a wheat bag, some Browzings and anything else that takes my eye!

Jos - good luck for today - I hope everything goes very smoothly.

T ladies - (weren't one of the gangs in grease called the T birds or something? Think ladies is more appropriate!!) Happy that you are feeling a bit more back to normal - long may it last!

Hi Nellie welcome to the forum I am sure you will find it a big support to speak to others going through treatment. The S/E are varied and people experience different ones . I have had 2 x TAX and found it doesn't make me sick it does make me tired and a little achy. It has also changed my taste. I am managing to drive the car just short journeys. I live in Cyprus so don't have very busy roads to deal with just drivers who don't indicate and ignore red lights! I haven't faced any tooth loss issues and as far as I know I don't think anyone else has on this forum. I had my TAX on Thursday and I drove today. Feel a bit wobbly but as I say I didn't go too far. Hope you feel less tired over the next few days I find crossword puzzles help stimulate my brain a little. Concentration doesn't last long though! Welcome and keep in touch!

Hi All,

I am new to this forum.  I am 47 and had Triple negative grad 3 diagnoised in Jan. Seeking support to get through the taxotare, having done pretty well on the fec.  Had my treatment on friday and was ok until sunday when I crashed big time.  Feeling very brain dead and concerned about my ability to drive safely, and wondering how long the aches and pains will usually go on for.  With the fec things got better pretty quickly altough took a day or two longer each time.  Also how many of you have been facing tooth loss issues? My doctors never mentioned it at all but I know several people it has happened to.  Any tips.

Morning Lovewine have a good day at work! Yes I am feeling much more positive about the whole journey now. I think now I can see the chemo end date July 10th the thought of the mastectomy doesn't feel so bad. I have found the chemo the most difficult to deal with. Loss of hair, lashes, eyebrows, dry skin and very badly peeling toe skin, splitting nails amongst the other problems of tiredness, sickness and toilet issues. It is a lot for us to cope with and I believe we are coping as well as we all can. I do hope some others will post in and let us know how they are doing.
xxxx

Morning Rosie and Wildpurl, just catching up before I go to work- a cruise sounds so exciting Rosie and so nice to have something lovely to look forward to after this year, sounds like you are having a wardrobe overhaul good on you, makes you feel much better to have some nice dresses!
Wildpurl sounds like you are having a good productive day too, glad you got boiler sorted, can be a nightmare without it!
Hello to all other ladies, hope you are ok.

Morning Widlpurl glad you are well enough to be working from home and going in to the office one day. I have just driven the car to the dress shop in the village and took some big new clothes that I ordered last year as I was loosing weight at SW but by September I had dropped a further stone and I have just lost a little more. She tries to sell the new or nearly new clothes. So what did I do come out with 2 new dresses to cheer me up. One is a size 12 and the other is a very fitting cotton dress so I tried the 14 but it showed up stomach lumps and bumps so went for the 16!! Haven't been shopping for ages so found it difficult to remember pin code! It came back to me!!!
I hope no news is good news from all our April ladies too Wildpurl! x

Morning Rosie and everyone!
I'm working from home this week except for one day when I will go into the office. Now I feel well enough to get on with things round the house I don't have time! This morning the water was cold and the boiler had stopped working. I was all set to call someone out but OH read the manual and followed the fault finding steps and it is working again! I was impressed. I think it needs servicing though, so that goes on the To Arrange list.

How exciting about the cruise Rosie, I have never been on a cruise and always wanted to but OH is not keen. That will be another lovely treat to look forward to as you go through the rest of this year.

Hoping everyone is well and improving, and that no news is good news for anyone we haven't heard from recently.

Morning everyone!
Wilpurl strawberries sound nice yum! I tried jelly and ice cream yesterday it had no taste! I am now on day 4 TAX so steroids have finished still got 2 injections to go. Toilet issue perfect this am after all my troubles I think I would rather put up with the lack of taste than have toilet issues! I have gained 2 pounds also as I am eating more so hopefully this will now give me a boost to get through the last 2 TAX.
Feeling very excited going to book cruise for DH 60th Bithday which is actually 4th July but cruise will be April 15. I selected the Mediterranean cruise in the end as we can embark at Limassol and there are no flights necessary. It goes round main land Greece and Turkey which we haven't done and will work out much cheaper with no flights! Also if for any reason I need medical aid which I hope I won't by then not far to get me back to Cyprus. Agent ringing me at 9.00am to book!!!!!!! It is one of our parents from school they have a travel company here and we have booked holidays with them before they sort out all the detail!
Thinking of you Jos glad you enjoyed a busy weekend!
Tlj my aches are starting up today can feel them in my legs .
Jaon hope you are doing ok and Booksand wine.
We seem to have lost some of our regulars EAM and Kirstie do hope you are both ok and anyone else that hasn't visited for a few days! xxxxxx

Tlj63, glad you are getting along OK. Hope the prunes do the trick! Jos, good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure it will all be fine.
Rosie I think it is very satisfying growing some of your own food, especially when you have little ones, you must have enjoyed your vegetable garden. I am getting fresh strawberries for dessert every day at the moment! My taste has been slowly returning and is now at a recognisable state albeit not completely normal, so that is Day 10. It is one of the SEs I hate most I must say.

Hope you are doing OK Joan and have had a reasonable day.
I got my gardening done and made a chicken and asparagus risotto for dinner, which was very nice if I do say so myself, and now I'm pleasantly tired so just relaxing. Tomorrow is another week!

Good luck jos!! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. X

Good luck Jos! x

Hello all

I've just been catching up with posts from the weekend.

Joan - really sorry to hear you ended up spending time in hospital but glad it was a short visit and hope you continue to feel better over the next few days.

Glad to hear that some of you have now turned the corner and finding things manageable and sorry to hear it's not been so good for others - hope it improves soon.

I've had a busy weekend with visiting friends and then having boyfriend and his two children to stay so three lively under 8s in the house and then a lovely visit from an old school friend of mine.  The house is suddenly quiet so a bit of clearing up and then an early night for me.  Daughter is with her dad.

I haven't heard anything after my bloods on Thursday so assuming all systems go for tomorrow morning and have started taking the dreaded Dexamethasone.  Just want to get it over and done with now - i've spent too long thinking about it and reminding myself that everyone is individual and I shouldn't try to guess what might happen.  Still, I can't help but think that I got off relatively lightly on the FEC with few physical side effects (mental ones worse for me) so surely my turn is coming with the Tax! 

It has been really helpful to read about all experiences - most of you seem to be one step ahead of me.  Rosie, especially your words on how quickly your adverse reaction was dealt with.

So, chemo round 4, Tax round 1.....bring it on!

x

Still fed up with not being able to taste food and drink!

Tlj have you got any prunes and All Bran that's what I went for and it worked 2 hours later!! Good luck!

I'm glad everyone seems to be chugging along ok. The aches hit me yesterday and felt very tired having not slept well the night before. Resorted to a nap in bed in the afternoon and still fell asleep on the sofa at 8pm last night! I have found taking one ibuprofen and one paracetamol at the same time seemed to help with the aching.
Not feeling so achy today but functioning at about 50% of my normal speed. Feeling rather bored but my brain us not functioning well enough to read a book.
Despite eating loads of fibre, constipation has hit me this time. Have taken two senna to see if I can get things moving. We are going to a friends for a BBQ this afternoon so I hope things get moving before then or there could be some interesting consequences! Might have to consider making 'go cake' tomorrow if nothing happens.
Hope everybody has a tolerable Sunday

We're at the well Italy is a good team but we played really well compared to usual so we can probably beat Uruguay stage at the moment LOL

Hi Wildpurl I think it is a very good idea to have a little garden project. When are kids were young we had a third of an acre plot just outside Taunton. We kept hens, grew, raspberries , beans , carrots and potatoes. It was a wonderful time happy memories! Hope they won't be too disappointed by the match result!

Morning all, great to hear that many of you are turning the corner and starting to feel better. When I feel like buying clothes I know I am all right, and yesterday I ordered a new pair of cropped cargo trousers from mantaray.

Joan, glad you had a reasonable night and are doing well.
Louise, so glad you have got through your bad FEC experience at last, it sounds really awful, I do hope they can do something to help with the nausea next time.
Rosie what can I say!!!! Glad you are feeling more comfortable

OH and his youngest recorded the England match and are watching it now. All access to electronic devices was banned this morning so they would not find out the result before watching.

When OH and I moved here a few years ago we looked for a garden large enough to be able to grow a lot of our own vegetables, which was already one of our main hobbies in containers and grow bags. It takes a lot of time and effort but we do grow quite a lot now and really enjoy it.

Hope everyone else is doing OK

Wildpurl x

I feel much better although the steroids are still driving my brain on I think tomorrow I will have much less energy!
Ladies I don't think we know from one day to the next how we are going to feel the important thing is to get through each day and cross it off as another one gone. Please don't dread the other 2 TAX Lovewine they may just be easier. Joan I do hope you are feeling easier today and that your hand improves!

Good news Rosie!! Bet you feel more comfortable now too!! Sounds like you will have an exciting week, hope your dresses look good, it's like having a new wardrobe isn't it, I have dug out clothes that haven't fitted me for years which I decided I now love.
Joan sounds painful and inconvenient with your hand, let's hope it improves today, it seems strange some of us have been really knocked out by Tax and other ladies not too bad? I think myself, Booksandwine and you have felt really knackered this time and yes I repeat previous post " I HATE TAX!!" Am dreading the other two already.

Just had to cut Skype call with daughter prunes and all bran worked feeling much more comfortable!!!!!

Morning ladies and thanks for all your best wishes. Yesterday started off quite well, had my nails repainted deep plum and before that ironed some clothes to wear. But that was pretty much it for the rest if the day, which I spent in bed. But this morning after a reasonable nights sleep-ie 3 plus 2 hours, which I would have been moaning about pre cancer- I feel I might be capable of a bit more. Last night thought I might be in for another trip to hospital when my left hand became all red and swollen and two fingers went white. Having spoken to the hospital helpline (I think I have become a frequent flyer) it seems it is a combination of the TAX ( my right hand is also red but not swollen) and having the blood clot in my left arm. Keeping my hand in the air as much as possible and not using it seems to help and I have to ring if the fingers go numb. So that's my symptom of the day. What will today bring I wonder.

Lovewine, like you I hateTAX, but pleased that you are turning the corner. My drink of choice at the moment is lemon barley diluted with sparkling water. It's sharp but doesn't sting the mouth. Even better with ice.

Booksandwine, hope you are recovering some energy. Knackering is just the word.

Rosie, congratulations on the problem now being constipation. Who knows, you may even get to try the go-cake. I hope you get your wig trimmed to your satisfaction; you will want to look your best at the two events at school you have coming up. I like your oncologists explanation about your reaction to the second TAX, if my body has any sense it will do the same but hopefully it won't.

Wildpurl, it is great that you are feeling so well on TAX; it is a helpful reminder, especially for those coming onto the site, that experiences are very varied. Your garden sounds lovely, very productive. I managed a good blitz on ours the day after chemo so it's not looking too bad from a distance, and I'm just having to ignore the weeds. My husbands idea of what is a weed and what a carefully nurtured flower is a bit suspect. He has never lived down taking off all the flowers on my tomato plants in an attempt to be helpful. I hope. I achieve at least some of your energy this week. We are meant to be looking after my daughters garden while they are in holiday (that's the one who lives 40 minutes away, not the London one) and he has also offered to refelt the roof and paint a Wendy house for the garden they bought cheap off a neighbour. Now he tells me that he will need my help with the felting!

Louise, welcome back from the dead. I hope you are beginning to feel better. Although it is reassuring to know that the side effects are normal there is often something that can be done to make them more bearable. Enjoy your new clothes.

jj 1981 thanks for the suggestion about Piriton for leg twitchiness. I do normally take Piriton for asthma but I might ask my oncologist about increasing the dose.

I have been wondering whether it would be useful if there was ready access to information on tips for dealing with side-effects. I know there is a thread 10 top tips for dealing with chemo, which I must look at again, but presumably not all chemo patients get to that. The info I got from the hospital was pretty basic.

I woke at 1.45 and went down to watch the second half of England Match. I had left DH asleep watching previous match but had turned the volume right down. When I went down he was changing the channel obviously only just woken uo so he then saw the second half. I made tea. We then watched second half and went to bed. I took sleeping pill at 3.30am and managed to sleep through to 6.45am! I was lucky to get back to sleep after this early morning adventure. I do hope the next match wont be so late!!!
Got to take my last steroids today so I expect my mood will change tomorrow. Day 2 of injections.I am very happy to inform all you ladies that I will be going down the realms of the prunes and all bran today. After all my toilet issues last month I can hardly believe that I can now I can eat what I like and now planning to have to break the constipation! What an amazing change around.
Looking forward to getting my wig restyled on Tuesday and picking up some dresses that I left with the dressmaker on Wednesday as they gape round the arms. I lost 3/5 stone with Slimmimg World last year before being diagnosed. Over the last month I lost another /5 stone due to not being able to keep anything inside. She charges 12 euros for each one but both the dresses were new last year from BHS online. Have a busy week planned hope I will be up to it. Got to drive the car twice to Paphos, attend the Talent show from 6-8pm at school on Friday. That's going to be a challenge as all the children and parents will want to speak to me. Then on Saturday night we have the leavers prom for the secondary and I need to make an appearance there!
Do hope you are all managing a good weekend. Hope you finish your gardening Wilpurl you sound very self sufficient! New potatoes yum!!! xxxxxx

New clothes sound good Louise and nice to hear from you, awful you feel so rubbish on Fec , a friend of mine had 6 Fec and she wasn't too bad on it, she's 2 years finished with it now, but most of us are on Tax too.
Rosie not sure I would be able to be awake at 1.00 a.m . Hope you get some sleep at some point!!
Jj, have heard about piriton, but haven't tried it, will next time as my aches and pains have been awful this time- thanks for the tip.

Hi Louise glad to see you back. I think most of us have changed to Tax It doesn't make you sick but it does give you aches and pains. I am glad you were able to buy some new clothes it will make you feel better!
Lovewine glad you have turned the corner and enjoyed a shopping trip also. Hope you enjoyed your wine. I might try a glass next weekend! Well DH has gone to sleep I don't know how he will be watching England match which starts at 1.00am here. I won't be able to sleep as the TV is under our bedroom and everything echoes with no carpets! I aim to go to bed at 3.00 after match take a sleeping pill and hopefully get a goo 4 hours sleep!
Wildpurl your cider sounds refreshing! We used to live in Somerset and loved the scrumpy! Hope you all have a good nights sleep! xxxx

Hi ive just popped in from may forum. Ive heard that piriton is good for the pains from the injections. I tried it this time and it did ease it a bit also supposed to stop leg twitchinitis

Hi ladies I am back from the dead. Spoke to the nice ladies on the help line basically all the side effects I have are common and you have to live with it. Hate Fec last session was actually sick whilst they administered it fan bloody tastic NOT !!! Good day today bought some new clothes need higher neckline now after masectomy. Is anyone else on Fec only ?

Evening everyone, I have finally I hope turned a corner and feel more normal today! Didn't have to sleep this afternoon, even went with o/h to nearest town and bought some summer wedge shoes and a Black-eyed Susan plant from home base- rounded off nicely by a nice glass of wine in local pub garden and i still have energy left!!
Rosie and Wildpurl, you both sound like you have active days too, I love farmers markets and the cider sounds delicious, sounds like you have a very productive garden Wildpurl- how nice to be so productive and know where your food comes from! And good luck with finding anything worth watching after the footy. I can only find something I have recorded earlier in week or rosemary and thyme- which hubby will scream if that theme tune is heard!! Happy viewing!
Rosie, your drinks sound nice, hope you enjoy them, and am sure your wig will be better when thinned out, but agree it's far too hot to wear it! Have a nice evening and hopefully a good nights sleep!

I've been outdoors gardening this afternoon, I have nearly got all my summer bedding in now and the weeding is almost done too. We should be lifting garlic tomorrow, which is very early, and can start lifting our new potatoes as well, lots of lovely potato salad I hope! I have been feeling fine, maybe a little tired still but no more than usual at this stage (day 9). Hope the same goes for everyone else.

I have another drink idea which works for me and might work for others. As it involves alcohol it would not be good in the first week probably. OH and I make dry cider every autumn and today I thought well it's fruit, it's sweet but not too sweet and it is gently sparkling. So I tried some in a glass with lots of ice and oh my! So refreshing! I think anyone who likes dry organic cider could drink it, the ice dilutes it so it is not very alcoholic.

A restful evening is planned, I have been promised that after the current footy match is finished, I can watch something of my choice later 🙂

Hope you had a good walk with your dogs lovewine and still have some energy. Booksandwine EAM and Joan, hope things are improving, and a pleasant evening to everyone.

Glad you had a good bbq Wildpurl and that you had energy to get to Pilates again! Farmers market sounds lovely I bet there were some scrummy cakes!!!
Yes Lovewine that's what I want her to do shorten it and give it a few layers. I don't think I will be wearing it very often here in the evening as even a cotton head covering makes my head sweat!
I managed to do half the supermarket shopping today by giving DH half mainly fruit and veg and I went looking for drinks! Found some bitter lemon cranberry juice and blueberry juice so when they are chilled I will start trying them!
Hope others on this board are all ok its gone a bit quiet! xxxxx

Hi all, Joan, how are you this morning? Hope you are feeling better and manage to potter about the garden maybe as Rosie said you could visit your daughter next weekend? It is really disappointing when our plans are cancelled- I never dare plan anything at the moment other than a walk,or sit in pub garden!!
I really hate Tax, on Fec I would have felt a bit sicky for one day and the back to almost normal, I have felt bloody awful all week and no sign of regaining any energy!!
Rosie, maybe you will take to the wig more if it's thinned out- mine was very bouffant! My hairdresser cut it into layers and I can put up with it, although since it's been quite hot I just wear it for work and whip it off as soon as I come home as it's very sweaty on the head!!
I have finally found a drink that I take too- tonic water with lime /lemon slices - it's sharp on taste buds although not so good on my mouth ulcers.
Booksandwine, totally relate to the knackered feeling, I sat in a stupor on my sofa yesterday and watched as hungry jackdaws knocked off my carefully planted wall basket filled with flowers, they crashed all over my patio with soil everywhere and I couldn't even get up to pick up my poor plants etc- other half at work til 10.00 p.m so just lay there looking at it!!! Have picked it up this morning though as mornings I seem to have a little more energy. Am just gearing up to walk my dogs and that will probably finish me off for the day!
Take care everyone. X

Good morning everyone,
Booksandwine, really sorry you are still suffering with the dry mouth and no taste, I really hate that feeling myself and I do hope it starts to improve soon.
Joan so sorry you ended up in hospital, but glad you responded quickly and are now home.

Rosie, I don't envy you those temperatures, it was 23°C here yesterday, enough for me and we had heavy rain overnight so much fresher and cooler today. Our barbecue was lovely, really delicious.

Pilates again for me this morning and then we are going to the Farmers market in the village where they are having a bake off. This afternoon more gentle gardening. I hope everyone who is under the weather improves today and those who are recovering from their last chemo continue to do so.

Joan so sorry to hear that you ended up in hospital we all hate it when this happens but we get sorted out! Its better to go at the onset than put up with stuff at home thinking it is normal and almost getting to the point on no return. I never slepp in hospital I am alaways tired by 9pm then a doctor will breeze in then then obs team come for blood pressure and temperature and then there is the constant checking and refuelling drip all night. And who can sleep with a drip in their hand?Anyway you are back home. Sorry you had to cancel your visit to daughter maybe you can go next weekend? I hope the cancer care will offer you support this is the one big thing I find here the medics do their job but emotional support is greatly needed! My family are pretty good, although my DH is always so busy with the business. My daughter skypes me 3 times a week. Yesterday a package arrived for me she had found 3 new head coverings made in cotton for for again its been hard getting the correct gear hear I have had to cut up nylon headscarves and it 30 degrees here now 25 in the house. Ceiling fan on makes a difference. Having ti use AC to sleep by as bedroom was at 29!
Talking of sleeping I was very tired at 10pm when I went to bed so took a sleeping pill. Woke to shout DH up who had gone to sleep downstairs at 24.45am. Didin't here he come next thing I knew 6.00am great . I don't want
to take them everynight but I am sick of sleeping 2 hours and then spending the
next 2 awake!
Morning Joan hospital at night is not the most rest full place to be and they do insist on switching all the lights on and then leaving some on and the door wide open!!!! Has anyone asked for sleeping tablets in hospital?
Anyway ladies I do hope you will enjoy a restful weekend.
I am on day 3 and apart from a very flushed face feel ok so far I feel I amgoing to be dealing with a constipation issue again at last.so have
sprinkled All Bran on top of cereal as a start! Would rather this than the runs!
Bookand wine I am finding food very dry and it doesn't quite fit the bill taste wise. Still experimenting with drinks as I had a big thirst yesterday. Found that cranberry juice and diet 7 up were ok for a one off! Still finding the best way is making ice lollies with juice in the grandkids lolly maker! Booksand wine it may be a good idea if you get some sleeping pills just ti take occasionally to try to break the no sleep habit!
I sympathize with the dry food. I think we are going to have to make more gravy. I am still having a lot of soup at lunchtime as the thought of sandwiches is not appealing. I lost 1/2 stone during the last month with the runs problem I reckon it will go back thia month because all day I am looking for something to munch on! I made a jelly yesterday may get DH to get a little ice cream that should slip down nicely. Thank god I can eat diary again tea on milk, yogurt eggs cheese. I was hating black tea the most. I di try some fruit teas but I find them so insipid!
Lovewine hope you are doing ok I am good so far. I expect that will change in the next few days to aches and pains. Hoping to be ok on Tueday morning as I need to drive to Paphos to haridresses I am getting wig restyled more like my normal style do not like it at the mo feel very conscious of it and I am going to have to wear it more. A couple of events at the end of next week that I am going to try and make an appearance at school so I will need to use the wig with confidence. Also got to get DH to take me to dress makers this morning as 2 dresses I purchased last year are gaping under the arms and need pulling in.
Jackie yes we use Code Breakers for phonics which is form the Hamilton Trust website. It has its own screening programme. We live in Peyia which isn't far away from Coral Bay 3kms!
Yes I put up my reaction to tax because it was so easily overcome and I was back on it within 30 mins and all went well from there. It is quite common and they deal with it very quickly! It happens within the first 5 mins so before they
have left you. The oncologist explained that my body recognised the drug from
last time and decided it didn't want it so put up a fight!!!
Hope all of you with rashes manage to get them under control.
Hope all others are well Louise, Kirstie, EAM,Jos, rolicarpit Wildpurl Hope I haven't misses anyone. Have a good weekend all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Joan,
So sorry you ended up in hospital - I did too on my first FEC - but great you didn't have to stay long and responded well. I can sympathise with the disturbances - I even asked them to close the door and switch off the lights - I never thought they would let us go to sleep! Rest up so you can enjoy your week ahead x x

Evening ladies. Spent the last 24 hours in hospital with infection and neutropenia. Having thought I was getting over the TAX by Thursday morning I Suddenly started running a temperature and feeling awful. The doc described my white cell count as rubbish. No doubt a technical term I was told I would need to stay in for at least 48 hours on a drip but luckily I responded very quickly, temp down and bloods more respectable so sent home this afternoon with a bucketload of antibiotics. Really knocked out though, just lying in bed doing nothing. This is the most energetic thing I have done for two days. Hospital not the most restful place. Just falling off to sleep last night when at 11.30 a nurse came in to start the next drip. Then this morning every time I thought I was dropping off someone came in to do some thing or ask me something. Then there was a bloody fire alarm, set off by someone burning toast. So for 20 minutes we had this repeat robotic message ' there has been an incident in the. Hospital, please await further instructions' . On the plus side, the staff were wonderful and I had a single room helpfully decorated in pale turquoise, which exactly matched my new toilet bag. How did they know that?

Sorry there are too many posts to respond to individually. Good to know that some of you have not found TAX too bad . One of the doctors said that the second one should be easier. I bloody well hope so. Rosie, I'm sorry you had a scary exoerience but good that it didn't mean the treatment had to be terminated.

Hope you all have a good weekend. I should have been going up to London to stay with my daughter but obviously had to cancel. So will just be taking it easy. Have a nice week ahead planned though and fortunately the docs haven't said I need to avoid people. On Monday going to a cancer care centre to see what support they offer. I booked it as a precautionary measure because although so far I have felt emotionally OK I thought it would be good to know w hat help was available. But this week has knocked me back, I now feel really fed up and dreading the next round of TAX.

Sorry this has been pretty much all about me moaning (my autocorrect turned that into profaning; didn't realise it was a mind reader). Hopefully will start to feel less self obsessed by tomorrow.

Great to hear most of you are feeling energetic and chipper. I thought I was starting to get more energy but still having trouble sleeping had thought broke the back but it's the dry sticky mouth and just inability to sleep.

I confess I preferred fec as by now would feel better and look to go to work next week but I can't see that happening as quite frankly I feel well let's just say knackered

Jos. Wildpurl. Congrats on your divorce

Re rashes sorry read today yesterday posts can't recall who had one. I also have one was pretty bad Monday scaley like snake both sides if my neck and itchy doc have me antihistermune tablets. Slighly better now. BCN wanted to suggest a heat rash

Re mouth and food I'm finding mine very dry and food has no tastes so really struggling to work out meal options. Anyone else like this Gonna be in diet based on butter mayo used and whatch cholesterol based on salt.

Saw surgeon yesterday I will be delayed recon so next year I will be complete.

Good to hear overall most of you are faring well

Jackie, it's awful to be a hospital worrier- I feel sick just looking at the sign, always have even as a small child!! My hubby tells me off for worrying about s/e , he says you prob won't get them, but always think i will, like Wildpurl I got very worried before first Tax, but nothing to worry about!!
Rolicarpit, I live in South Leicestershire, not far from market harborough, I can drive so am more than happy to meet you somewhere convenient , would love to meet up.
Thanks also Jackie for the book recommendations, I do enjoy a good crime thriller, last year I enjoyed " gone girl" and have read "apple tree yard" which was ok, but not brilliant,
Have a lovely weekend ladies , Wildpurl a barbecue sounds lovely, enjoy it!
Rosie, stay well! X

Thank you ladies. I'm such a worrier wheN it comes to medical matters - and don't tend to be in any other part of my life! I get myself all worked up - and it is never as bad as I fear! I just wish I could convince myself of that beforehand - but hopefully that's what my psychologist will help me with. She says I have a specific phobia - blood-needle or something like that!
Wildpurl - I had the back pains too this last round - woke me up in the night - but they only lasted 2 days or so off and on. Thank you for describing your SEs - not as scary coming from someone who has actually had them! Glad you've finished for the day to start the weekend early x x

Rosie - that's a great feeling to see the light at the end of the tunnel and you deserve it - having conquered so much! Of course, having a reaction to the T has been weighing on my mind - but again, your description of what happened has helped - as the staff probably deal with this often. I'm sure once I have the first one over with - it will be much better. I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend away. When we visited paphos, we got a car and went exploring - Coral bay and up into the mountains. The one place we really liked was pissouri, with that treacherous drive up the hill. I bet it's changed lots since we were last there. In school, they are all busy getting ready for,the phonics screen in year one. Do you follow letters and sounds for that? Feel bad that I'm not there as phonics is a real focus for me.

Hello Jackie, I was just the same before my first T, could not stop thinking about it. In fact I would have to say it has not been too bad for me. I had a couple of days with some aches and very tired, but did not need to take any painkillers, bad taste in mouth/ no taste gradually improving, an itchy rash for a few days but now seems to be going. My worst moment was the back pains from the GCSF and I have plans for that on the next round, that did knock me out for a while. But on the plus side no sicky feeling, no nausea, feeling much more normal. On this round I didn't have any pain in hands or feet, and I notice my nails are growing now.

I've finished work for today, that went OK and now I am going to enjoy the weekend 🙂 hope you all do too

Glad to hear from you Jackie! I think as time goes by we all worry about will they find a vein , will they be able to get enough blood for testing. But they do manage.
Enjoy the broth your mum made it will do you good. I have steroids for the next 3 days and start 5 days of injections tomorrow. But with 2x2 weekly to go I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for this the first part of the journey. Chin up! x

Hello everyone,

I'm so pleased those of you on tax seem to be starting to turn the corner. Have you all been given the gscf injections? That tends to drag out the recovery time for me.
I've been fine physically over the last few days, but moving onto T has been consuming my thoughts - along with "will they find a vein?" So haven't posted - you've all got enough to cope with at the moment but of course have been reading. Also at odds with my husband, as he's "it might not happen to you re SEs" and I'm "I need to know what could happen so I can be prepared".

Lovewine - I've started eeny meeny a while back but just can't get into it. If you like those sorts of books, can I recommend: Chris carter - he does the Robert hunter series set in LA - great plots and very suspenseful
Richard Montarini, Mo Hyder, Luke Delaney, mark Billingham, Paul finch and of course Patricia Cornwell. I love police murder crime stories with the same characters and have found these authors to be great for that. Have just finished mo hyder's new one yesterday.

I hope where you are it's sunny as that always brightens the mood. Move developed a rash on my chest, which I think is heat related, so I'll admire from afar!!

Positive for the day - before my mum left she made a huge pan of broth (one way to bet the veg in me) which is helping in other departments and I'm off out to find a vase - jason smashed the on the kitchen table when he was "helpfully" airing the bed sheet. Love to you all x x