72K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

jos

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Morning All.

Well, Tax day 3 and it feels like the calm before the storm.  I've had a mild upset tum and a slightly warm sensation on the bottom of my feet at times but that's it so far.  Day 4 does seem to be "the day" though and I've stopped taking the Dexamethasone which has caused a huge emotional crash in the FEC cycles so I'm convinced tomorrow everything will happen at once.  I am having a relaxing day before school pick up so am just about to do my nails black (never wear varnish on finger nails - only toenails - so it will feel a bit strange for me!) then I shall have a walk and do some meditation before lunch. 

Cassie - sorry you had some problems with the Tax.  Good luck with the next few days.  It's great that you're a whizz with the sewing machine for the picc covers.  Finding suitable fabric has been a problem.  Kids tights are great if not too thick as they have a good amount of stretch.  I tried John Lewis and a fabric shop near home and there is hardly anything available with stretch.  I must admit to it becoming a bit of a mission for me!  I thought there was bound to be something online but could only find a woman making them in Canada.  Even my oncologist hadn't seen anything like it before and thought I should set up production! My partner and I had talked about doing this as a not for profit thing and donating the proceeds to a cancer charity.  I then realised the other day that in six weeks the line will be coming out, all being well.  I suspect I may not want to think about picc lines for a long while after that!

Rosie - re sleep, mine is very hit and miss.  I seem to be awake several times during the night and then wake up early.  It builds up to the point where I'm so knackered I finally have a better night.  However, sleeping tablets not really an option for me when I am the only adult in the house responsible for a small child.  Maybe on the nights she's not here.....

Have as good a day as possible everyone.

x

rosie14

Enjoy your pilates Wildpurl. I have 2x2 weekly cycles to get through July 10th my last date. I am just focusing on getting through the next 2 as best I can. with the help of pain killers and sleeping tablets. I think for lunch today I will have a ham, lettuce and tomato sandwich with mustard and  two picked onions! That should give me a bit of taste!

joan47

Thanks fir all your good wishes ladies and input about complementary therapies. It's interesting that so many of you have been that way inclined anyway. I confess I haven't been, particularly after trying homeopathy and Chinese medicine for asthma without success. So I am naturally quite sceptical. We shall see what the oncologist has to say tomorrow. My hands are no better, hope he will be able to suggest something. One of the problems has been all the hand washing one has to do; I know I'm being more fastidious than usual. It got to the point where I was trying not to go to the loo because I knew it would sting like mad. Inspiration last night! Wear disposable plastic gloves. Magic.

Nellie, like Wildpurl I have also found the wheat pack invaluable for aches and pains in various places. Also discovered a new use for it yesterday- drying out my handbag after my water bottle had comprehensively leaked! I'm with you on the bald look but as Rosie says, everyone has to do what's best for them in their circumstances. I have seen some women look amazing in scarves or turbans but I look dreadful. I have been struggling with a jigsaw for the last two months. I will probably finish chemo before the jigsaw.

Rosie, I have had recourse to sleeping pills since just after the first chemo when I decided I needed to get at least a modicum of sleep if I was going to be able to cope. I was able to limit their use during FEC, ie first few days then tail off but this time, with the first Tax and the complications, I have been on them 2 a night for about 12 days. Re surgery, I guess as chemo is coming to an end, hooray, our thoughts are naturally turning to the next stage. I expect, as with chemo, there will be different experiences, and some of it may be difficult, perhaps emotionally more than physically, but hopefully it won't be the wholesale assault on our bodies which you in particular have experienced and coped with.

Cassie, it has felt to me that the steroids and the sleeping pills are battling it out and for the first night or so the steroids definitely have the upper hand. But without then, on my first FEC, I was literally awake the whole night.

rosie14

That's good to know nellie I believe the chemo is the very worst part!
Wildpurl

I was of course very anxious about my surgery as well, but it went very smoothly and I recovered well. I have found chemo far harder. I had a skin sparing mx and implant reconstruction. Please don't panic! You will be fine. Remember your own wise words Rosie, which I am using as a mantra at the moment - take each day as it comes and get through it.

One month today is the scheduled date for my final chemo. It feels close and yet still very far away, because before then I have another whole cycle to get through, so back to taking each day as it comes!

I'm working from home again today, with a Pilates class this afternoon, which is enjoyable in itself but also gets me a change of scenery as I have to drive to the gym. Small things!

Hope everyone is doing well and those in week 1 are recovering.
Cassie86

Re: Good to share

Hi lovewine, the forum is very helpful, it is great to share with someone who is going through the same things. I am on sleeping tablets, as I was taken of HRT and this also affects my sleep also, I was told that three hours a night would not be enough to get me through the chemo, they do help I have about five hours a night now, I still nod off occasionally though, which I guess I just have to give into, under the circumstances, about 10 day after the chemo I am fairly normal so far....

nellie2099

Dear Rosie and lovewine, please dont panic about the surgery - I did not even need a paracetamol and had two ops.  If you can do chemo you can do anything!

rosie14

Hi Lovewine yes I think I am starting to panic about the surgery even down to what sort of clothes I will need. Its also going to be very hot here in mid August so that's going to be a challenge. No pool or beach!!!! Glad your mouth ulcers are healing. x
Lovewine

Hi ladies, I have found it interesting to read a lot of you have had issues with tasting food, I am lucky as don't seem to have had that problem- so far!! , I have had very painful mouth ulcers which makes eating and drinking a challenge, but thankfully healing now,
Lisa, did you sort out BBQ? I find assembling things really irritating at the best of times!
Joan, your holistic approach sounds interesting, I think it really helps to treat the whole body and mind, I have a good friend who is very much involved in alternative therapy and at the beginning of this horrible time we are facing she was very good with advice to deal with my panic attacks and I felt a bit silly in some things but found a lot worked for me!! So if it helps then it can only be a good thing.
Cassie and Nellie hope you are finding this forum helps, it's great to pick up tips and help!
Rosie, my mouth watered at your dinner last night! I do have sleeping tablets and take when needed, but have been sleeping not too bad at the moment, but I am getting more anxious now as chemo is coming to an end and more scans and surgery are getting closer!!
Have a decent day everyone x
rosie14

Morning Nellie you have to do what's right for you and if you are happier with the bald look embrace it. We are all different and have to find what we feel we can live with. Do be careful with the driving it really did me in for the day yesterday! Have just found some cinnamon powder in cupboard and added to breakfast cereal gave it a bit of a lift! Any other ideas for taste buds gratefully received! x
nellie2099

Hi all,

Thanks Wildpurl for the advice of heat packs they really helped with the back pain. Also now got tramadol in the house but day 5 has brought a clearer head and better ability to cope - I cant imagine how Rolicarpit coped making a BBQ I was in tears over a jigsaw on Sunday!

Joan I am sorry to hear your hands are bad - something I was expecting to happe much later on - cycle 2 or 3? . Your talk sounds good I will have to look out for something near me.  I laughed about the candles - my man would be the same! 

I'm impressed with rosies determination to look good and get her wig sorted I'm afraid I have rather let everthing go.  I am happy with the bald look though and only bother with hats and stuff when meeting new people.  Interesting about the driving I had not realised how fuggy my head would be day 2 - 4. Think I will get friends organised for the school run next time. 

Good luck for today everyone.

rosie14

Re: 4 down and 2 to go !

Hi Cassie well done getting the chemo done its always a relief to cross another one off. I wasn't offered a PICC line here in Cyprus they use a cannular each time which is very painful on the viens! I keep a wig for rare occasions like going out at night the rest of the time I just wear a head scarf it is too hot here now in the day well into the 30's!
Joan and Wildpurl it sounds like you have a good range of alternative support. I used to do yoga and found it very beneficial when I was in the UK. I think I should try to listen to some calming musing each day and try some breathing. I often find that my breathing is slightly strained! Just a little 5 min car journey to day to get my dresses back from the dressmaker as they were gaping round the arms. Slept slightly better last night took sleeping pill so slept on and off until 5,30am feel better for getting some. I think I am going to have to continue these sleeping pills until chemo finishes or else my brain won't switch off all night. Is anybody else having to take sleeping tablets?
DH made me a steak and mashed potoato supper with mushrooms and onions and load of mustard , salt and pepper last night oh and gravy. The meat was tasteless but the gravy had a bit of a kick! Made myself an omelette yesterday for lunch and that was tasteless! Can't beat toast and marmite!
Do hope you all have a good day I will be taking pain killers sooner rather than at 4pm for leg pains like I did yesterday!
Onward and upward ladies best foot forward on with the battle! xxxxxxx

Wildpurl

Joan glad to hear you are recovering and that you got into the garden today. Your cancer support session sounds very interesting. As you know, I do Pilates, used to do a lot of yoga and have had both acupuncture and shiatsu although not since being diagnosed. I have also had homeopathic treatment for some conditions and found it effective.

My view is that many of these approaches focus on correcting imbalances caused by diet, stress, medical treatment, injury or just daily life. They can help the body to heal itself of some things, recover better from trauma and cope more easily with physical and other stress. For me they are a good way to support yourself. Cancer treatment, especially chemo, is one of the most toxic and aggressive treatments we can have and is bound to leave the body and the mind drained and unbalanced. I have been considering having some shiatsu sessions to help with this, it is less scary than acupuncture but works on exactly the same principles and is very pleasant and relaxing. That said, I never found acupuncture at all painful and it can also be very relaxing.

I think it is up to every individual to make their own mind up, of course, but research shows that holistic therapies do help with the side effects and impact of treatment. As long as your oncologist is happy I would give it a go if you feel it might be beneficial for you.
Cassie86

4 down and 2 to go !

Hi, Thanks for the support ladies the chemo was problematic today but over now, just waiting to see what happens next!

The butterfly was quite painful today as my veins are really knackered, they had to put it inside my wrist the PICC line will be booked shortly. The bands sound like a great idea to disguise the line in this hot spell we are having, I am a wizz on the sewing machine so will pick a good time to have a sort through my wardrobe to see what might be suitable to re-fashion into arm bands. I was very tired during the session today because I only had about three hours sleep even with a sleeping tablet it was the double dose of steroids I think plus I was fridge raiding at 2.30am ! I was unlucky and had a reaction so the piriton given made me extra sleepy (oh well its one was to get through it all I guess).

I still have two thirds of my hair at present, with use of the cold cap, I had it cut short when diagnosed so I think that has helped a lot, I am not keen on the idea of wigs personally but have several hats and scarves, which I must admit I have only used if out in the hot sun for more than an hour or so, and for comming home from the chemo sessions when my hair is full of conditioner and looking a mess. I have a fairly bald patch on top, much like the male patern baldness like guys have but am managing with a comb over and a bit of hairspray to hold it in place, lol. (long may this last, well we will have to wait and see).

jos

Good to hear from you Joan and Tlj.

Joan, sorry your hands are bad - I hope they improve soon.  The intro session sounds great and very helpful.  I am in to the holistic and complementary approach.  I haven't done accupuncture yet but have a good recommendation from a friend so may do should Tax prove a challenge.  However, I do daily meditation, exercise (walking, yoga, pilates), have made dietary changes (nothing wacky, just healthy) and I am having something called pranic healing which is basically energy healing working on your chakras (not faith-based and no contact!).  I'll admit this last one is a bit out there.  This all helps me stay generally positive and feel more in control of my situation and I figure that none of these can do any harm (if approached sensibly) so if it makes you feel better in any way why not.

Tlj, glad you are feeling better and managed a walk.

x

rosie14

Glad to hear from you Joan glad you have returned to the land of the living!Enjoy your lunch tomorrow I am sure your colleagues will be pleased to see you.
Tlj good to hear from you too and that you had a better day today!
Tlj63

Welcome newbies to our thread. I have found this forum invaluable, especially as a few members are about a week ahead of me so I can see what might or might not be in the pipeline.
Maybe I over did it on Sunday going to a BBQ because I paid for it yesterday. I was absolutely floored yesterday. Had to go back to bed after my morning shower. Got up about an hour and a half later and basically sat on the sofa all day. Even watched Coundown, Deal or no deal and Escape to the seaside.
However, feeling better today. Managed a walk and coffee with friends this morning and watched Eastbourne tennis on telly this afternoon. Have to admit I did nod off but managed to wake up in time to collect my son from school. Let's hope things continue in the same vane/vein (?sp) for the rest of the week.
joan47

Posting this while sitting on the garden, the first day I have felt able to enjoy this lovely weather. Only remaining TAX problem apart from foul taste in mouth) is my hands, the right one looking as if it has been burnt and the left one additionally being swollen so I have to keep it elevated as much as possible. Although I have TAX so trying, on the plus side little nausea, my eyes aren't weepy and light sensitive and my lips haven't blistered. FEC still wins out for me though.

My return from the undead really happen ended yesterday morning after a pretty good nights sleep from which I woke feeling rested and energised. So I was able to go to the introductory session the local cancer support centre. It was very interesting and enjoyable. First a talk from a doctor about how cancer cells are usually destroyed by the immune system (fascinating speeded up film of this taking place in a lab) and the factors which undermine the immune system. Then input from a dietician with Q and As, followed by tai-chi exercise and then relaxation. All that plus opportunist to meet with other women. I hope to go again but husband is suspicious about the holistic approach-I didn't even tell him about the candles. The information about the centre came from the hospital, so I assume they are OK but have agreed we will check it out with the oncologist on Thursday.

The centre is very keen on acupuncture. Has anyone tried this since being diagnosed.

Cassie. I would reinforce what Jos said about the PICC line in that the procedure is very straightforward and not painful and it doesn't get in the way. You will need to get a waterproof cover so you can shower and bath. I got mine from the hospital shop but you can also get them online. If you find the dressing is have a irritating your skin, tell them, they have alternatives. Good luck.

Good luck also to Jos, hope the side effects are minimal and pass quickly. If not, they will pass. Do not feel you have to put up with the pain. If paracetamol and ibuprofen don't work, ask for something stronger. What a pity about your holiday, you must have been gutted. I have gone down the dark nail varnish route, though plum rather than black. My oncologist was quite happy about it. Even if it doesn't work I rather like it and my granddaughter, aged 4, thinks it's

Nellie, hope the pains have subsided. It really is a miserable stage

Rosie, sorry you have hit the pains. Hope you start feeling better soon. I am full of admiration for you doing that drive, even at 30 mph, and it's good that you are pleased with your wig. There was one young woman at the centre yesterday with beautiful long blond hair and I thought it was such a shame she would be losing it. I was gob smacked when she said it was a wig.

Rolicarpit, you are bonkers but well done. Enjoy.

Tomorrow going out for lunch with a group of ex- colleagues I last saw the day before my first chemo. We have been in regular touch by email so they are sort of prepared for what to expect but I confess I am getting a bit nervous because I look such a wreck and there is not much I can do to conceal it. Ah well.
jos

Hello All

Tax day 2 and trying to make the most of feeling ok as it seems almost inevitable that there are aches and pains to come!  I even managed dinner out last night which was a nice change after the FEC day ones when I would be in pjs throwing up!

Welcome Cassie and good luck for tomorrow.  Please don't worry about the PICC line.  I was more nervous about that than about the chemo - it felt like a huge deal.  The procedure is very straightforward and will be done with local anaesthetic so all you feel is a bit of a pushing sensation.  Since it's been in it's been fine - I almost forget it's there now and it makes the chemo so much easier, they just plug you in and off you go.  My mission was to find a nice way of covering the line and I now have a "wardrobe" of covers - my daughter's chopped up tights, wide hairbands doubled up and some ones custom made by a friend!

Wildpurl and Rolicarpit - good to hear your tips on working through this.  I feel up to a bit of work but I am very fortunate in receiving 6 months fully paid leave so I think I will probably leave it.  I'm hoping to stagger my return to work too and maybe reduce days until the new year.  Wildpurl - good on you for booking days off in August and September - go and do some lovely things.  Rolicarpit - don't knock yourself out with the BBQ!

Nellie - sorry you had a bad night.  The hospital have given me Tramadol in addition to Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.  They've said to take it only if I need it but it's kind of reassuring to have it in the house.  A friend of mine had quite severe pain on her first Tax and her GP gave her Oramorph which knocks you out (kinda wish I had some of that on hand too!).

Rosie - well done on the drive!  I'm glad you feel happier with your wig.

Hope everyone else doing ok.

x

rosie14

Oh well done rolicarpit I am impressed. I am having a very quiet day feeling fragile with lack of sleep and pains!
rolicarpit

Morning all

Hope you are all as well as can be and that anyone who didn't feel great yesterday feels better today.

I feel good today and so decided to tackle the task of putting together a new BBQ ... Only to find its in about 5 million pieces with a picture book of instructions that is only slightly shorter than war and peace but am persevering. To be honest I didn't realise how very unfit I am, not in terms of aerobic fitness but just bending, twisting, lifting stuff etc .. Feel very wimpy and am quite shocked. Going to need to sleep for a week after this but it I will have a finished BBQ by the end of today !!!
rosie14

Back from hairdressers thank God I should never have driven I was going at 30 everyone passed me! Happier with wig now chilling with toast and marmite the only thing that I can taste at the moment.
I think its the Tax causing the bone pain ladies. I am now in the grips of it!
Let's hope it passes for us quickly! x
Lovewine

Nellie, just a thought, if you ask your g.p you could try Tramadol or there are several other stronger things to help, at least you might get some sleep without bone pain, x
Lovewine

Morning ladies, Rosie , hope your wig is trimmed to your liking today, you will hopefully be much happier with it after a good thinning out!
Nellie, I had the same thing last week, I wasn't sure if it wasn't the injections or the Tax itself causing bone pain either, some ladies have recommended piriton , it apparently helps, maybe worth a try, other than that , 2 hourly parecetemol/ibuprofen which I think you are already doing! Hope it improves today for you.
Have a good day ladies, whatever your plans😀Wendy x
Wildpurl

Hi Nellie, sorry you have had a bad night. I had pain from the GCSF injections this last time and I found a heated wheat pack plus ibuprofen worked for me.

Hope you feel better today.
nellie2099

Gosh brave people.  I have been in agony all night and nothing I took seemed to help.  Anyone tried anything other than paracetamol and neurophen? Its more bone pain than muscle so I am wondering if it is the Neulasta rather than the taxotare. Will try Rosie's idea of taking the dogs out for a while today - makes sense but hard to get motivated. Will be a relief to have the pain start to subside so more idea what to expect next time. I am hoping one or two more days should do it. Fingers crossed. 

Got a friend coming this afternoon who has been through it all last year so will have some knowledgable support today which is reasuring.

rosie14

Re: Finished FECT and now ....

Welcome Cassie it certainly is an endurance test and very good job we don't know what will happen to us next. This forum is a great support we can share our problems have a good moan and share our positive moment too!
Last night I decided not to take a sleeping tablet as I have to drive to the the hairdressers in Paphos this morning to get my wig trimmed as I am not happy with it. I spent all night awake worrying about driving as I am on day 5 Tax. I shall have to sleep when I get home!!! Hope you all have a good day! x
Wildpurl

Re: Finished FECT and now ....

Welcome to the forum Cassie, quite a few of us are on Docetaxol now, good luck tomorrow! I know what you mean about endurance test, but we are getting through it one day at a time. This is a lovely supportive thread, I don't know what I would have done without it TBH.
Lucy_BCC

Hi Cassie and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 so please feel free to call

Here's a link to the 'treatment' pages where you will find further information and support ideas which I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Lovewine

Hi cassie and welcome to you, good luck with your chemo tomorrow, am sure you will find this thread a big help !
Cassie86

Finished FECT and now ....

Hello All,

I am new to the forum today. I have finished the FECT therapy and now am starting the next phase which I believe is Doxcetacel, just started the double dose of Dexamethsone today, next chemo treatment tomorrow ! 

I have a problem with my memory (I stopped HRT diagnosis although not hormone related) I have emotional outbursts, (I have told everyone to ignore me), its the drugs. I have tried to work when I can, but have also found it takes longer to return to feeling anywhere near normal after each chemo session its very frustrating.

I have had some side effects bowel problems (can't go despite drinking and eating fruit and drinking prune juice for England, I have put weight on, not what I expected but again its the drugs the steroids.

All in all its just annoying but necessary. I don't know how unusual it is but my veins have reacted really badly, it feels like a strong elastic band being pulled from the back of my hand to my upper arm and you can see the pulling of the veins on several parts of my arm yuk! The hospital have listed me for a PIC line, I(I am not looking forward to it, yet another op, then a line dangling for 6 weeks (too late for this treatment).

I have had the breast surgery and nothing to do with the cancer but also had a hysteroscopy once as a outpatient on the Friday (not sucessful) then as an inpatient on the next Monday the day before my first chemo session (Sucessful, biopsy taken and all clear. Phew). You kind of get to the mind set of its an indurance test and what else can they find to put you through and to see if you can cope with it.

Love to all ladies, its not easy

rolicarpit

That's also useful to know, it did look lovely there ?

rosie14

Oh if you come to Paphos we live very near there! The private medical clinics here are very good!
rolicarpit

Thanks Rosie

That's helpful, I'm hoping to get abroad, funnily enough I was looking at some hotels in Paphos today but think I might stick to France or Italy... if I can sort out the insurance, not that I'm expecting anything to go wrong but knowing my luck at the moment better get some, I think I will have a google and see what comes up.

Lovewine

That sounds perfect!! I have a blonde wiggy!! Look forward to putting a face to the name! Lots of places we can go for coffee in the town, see you Thursday! Wendy.
rolicarpit

Yes I know where that is, how about 11o clock ? I'll be the one with the bald head haha, probably under some kind of hat !

rosie14

Hi Lisa are you planning to go abroad or stay in the UK for your holiday. You should be safe enough in UK. I live in Cyprus and we have private medical insurance for any country. I will be travelling back to the UK for 1 week at the end of July - last chemo 10th July and I know if there is a problem I can walk into any hospital and get help If you plan to leave the UK I would check out the insurance you don't want to get caught up in a foreign country! Hope this helps!
Lovewine

Sorry - Thursday is good for me too!
Lovewine

Hi Lisa, do you know " the square" in the centre? There is a New look and a small Tesco, could meet you outside New look, there is a large car park at the rear called The commons car park which is convenient and always able to get a space! Wendy
rolicarpit

Hi Wendy, Harborough is good for me, haven't been there for a while, how about Thursday morning, let me know where? Lisa

Lovewine

Hi Lisa, yes sounds good! I can meet up Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, can drive to Lutterworth which is only about 25 mins from me if that suits you? Or market harborough! Wendy
rolicarpit

Evening everyone,

Nice to see that people seem to be returning to normal and that those of you that are having your first Tax are not faring too badly either. If only there was a crystal ball that could tell us exactly how we were going to feel and for how long ? It's such a nice feeling getting back to normal, I just keep thinking now that this time next cycle my side effects will be disappearing and not coming back ... can't wait... they can do one  and really wont be missed !

Had a bit of a mixed weekend although mainly becasue of migraine rather than anything else ... have headaches anyway so don't think it was particularly linked to chemo but who knows, anyway Saturday wiped out but better yesterday and fine today.

Have been out all day today, meeting re work. Up until now I've had a sick note too but have been doing some work at home, external meetings etc (I work in a school so I've not been in much, lots of germs I want to keep away from) but have had to get my sick note changed to a fit note that specifies I am fit to work, light duties, home working etc as wildpurl says,  employers shouldn't be letting you work without the medical clearance. Again, for me, work is about keeping things as normal as possible. To be honest I'm not being that productive but enjoy thinking that I am lol 

Still have a burnt feeling in my mouth but taste coming back and its much easier to eat and drink and enjoy doing so.

Have also been looking at a week's holiday mid July, after last chemo and before rads start but not booked anything yet .... does anyone know if I'm going to have any problem with travel insurance?

Lovewine, how do you feel about meeting up sometime this week or early next. I'm happy to come over that way, I have a friend in Lutterworth that I am hoping to catch up with soon, so I could meet you and then go on there either before or after ??

Can't keep up with individual posts but hi to Nellie, as someone else has said, this particular thread is so helpful and a lovely sociable supportive group too.

Have a good evening

Lisa 

Lovewine

Welcome Nellie, you will find this group of ladies a great source of help and support, I know I certainly do!! Regarding tooth loss, I can remember reading posts of a lady in december thread she lost several teeth and you can't have dental treatment whilst having chemo, when I read your post I could have written it myself, I had Tax 12 days ago after 3 Fec, I fared ok on Fec and bounced back to normal after a couple of days, Tax hit me about 3 days after, I have never had such overwhelming fatigue and bad bone aches, even this week the tiredness is awful, I do agree though that a gentle walk and keeping active helps- good luck 😃😃
Jos, great you didn't have any reaction and all went well, fingers crossed your s/E's are minimal, and it must be disappointing to cancel trip to N.Z, but next year will come around very quickly and you will be back to full strength by then too!
Jackie, Tax maybe won't affect you too badly, as ladies say everyone's s/e are different, good luck and it's another ticked off!
Booksandwine glad you are picking up, Rosie, yes the end is in sight! My last chemo is July 16th yay!!, am not sure if mine is a mastectomy yet, but if so I agree with you and rather have both lopped off at same time as I can't bear to go through this again either!!
Wildpurl, good for you booking some time off, days out are essential for our well being!!
Thinking of all you other ladies and hope you are ok x
rosie14

Booksandwine glad you are feeling brighter. I am having surgery after chemo probably mid August. I think the surgery will not be as bad as the chemo I am certainly glad the end is in sight. My eyebrow are disappearing now lost all my bottom lashes. I am going to need a good makeover for son's wedding in August!
Wildpurl

Well done Jos, another one done. Glad it went well and that it was enjoyable to have your friend there. I think that's good advice about keeping moving.

On the subject of working, my GP has also signed me off until the end of August, but I told him I wanted to try to work two weeks out of every three, one at home and one in the office, and he put that on the certificate as an adjustment to my working conditions which would allow me to work. I think if you don't have something saying you can work if you can work from home, or two days a week, or whatever the adjustment is, then your employer cannot let you work. If you would really like to work you could probably ask your GP to issue a new certificate with adjustments listed and if your work agrees then you should be OK. But you have quite a lot on your plate already!

Booksandwine, so pleased to hear you are doing better 🙂

I've just booked a whole lot of days off in August and early September, as I don't want to work full time again right away, I fancy some me time. I've booked at least one day a week off and hope to go walking, meet up with a friend in London, go out with my daughter etc.
HelenL_BCC

Hi booksandwine, I'm sorry your post has appeared a bit strangely there.

We have a button that can be added to posts to create a 'spoiler', which hides text. It looks like it's been activated when you posted your reply earlier. If this continues to happen, please do let us know and we'll look into this for you.

Warm wishes,

Helen 

rosie14

Glad all went well jos it was good you had a friend with you that has been through the experience. She is probably right about keep moving as I am on day 4 and I can feel my legs and stomach starting to ache. So I think I will take the dog for just a little walk down the road!
jos

Oh and one helpful tip my friend did give me for Tax was to keep moving each day.  She said the first cylce of Tax she was resting a lot and on day 4 had a car journey and then a lot of sitting around at a friends and the aches and pains hit her really hard.  She said that after that she made sure she walked every day and was more active and things were much better and cycles 5 and 6 were easier.

She also did the black nail varnish thing.  I'm still not sure about this as i've read elsewhere not to use nail varnish so you can monitor what's going on.  I think the dark varnish thing is something to do with a uv light reaction with Tax.  Anyway, part of me rather likes the idea of bringing out the inner goth!  Will have a think...

jos

Hello all

Back from the first Tax and, hurray, no allergic reaction (my main worry).  I took my friend who has been through all this herself and we had a good chat and a laugh so I have to say it wasn't an unpleasant couple of hours!  My blood results were so surprising that I thought the nurse had put the decimal stops in the wrong places and asked her to double check but they were right so WBC, platelets and neuts higher than pre-chemo which makes me feel very happy.  Those GCFS injections must be working.

Welcome Nellie and good luck for the Tax.  As you can see, just done the first Tax and got through that although I'm well aware that the side effects will come later!  Like you I fared pretty well on FEC with very few side effects so coming in to Tax with the strong feeling that my luck is surely going to run out.  I just keep reminding myself we are all individuals and we will all react differently.  Also, one person is highly unlikely to get ALL the side effects going so all we can do is wait and see.  I'm finding this board really lovely and supportive so I hope you do too.  Btw, I have never heard or read anything about tooth loss.  Maybe it's very rare or could perhaps be related to other underlying problems?

Wildpurl - hoping the working from home going ok -well done for doing that.  I keep saying to work I could do some from home but I have been signed off for 6 months and they have been very good at keeping work away from me!

Rosie - that's wonderful that you are booking a holiday.  It's great to have something to look forward to.  I was due to take my daughter to NZ to visit my sister on a big mum and daughter trip this summer and we have obviously had to cancel so my goal is to get there next summer instead.

Jackie - good luck for Thursday.  Even though we've done chemo already and know what to expect on a certain level, putting a new drug in the mix brings on all those anxieties and what ifs again.  It seems relentless sometimes.

I hope everyone else is doing ok today and that aches and pains are diminishing for those further along in the cycle.

x

booksandwine

Spoiler
Hi sorry its been a while - been trying to catch up on all threads in forum
Spoiler

Spoiler
Well my tastbuds are starting to come back and my mouth is not sore anymore  -  was around 12 days from first tax - I am so hoping tax 2 on Tuesday next week will not be as bad or as long and as drawn out - been knackered and still am pretty wiped out most of the time.  But starting to feel more like me
Spoiler

Spoiler
I was going to ask re surgery masectomy as I got the impression most peoplr had surgery and then the chemo - I am looking to have a bi- lateral in mid August - in time for my birthday - happy birthday to me date not yet set and then in 2015 my reconstruction.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Thanks to you all for your support and kind words hope all of you are well