69743members
366329posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Rosie glad faith is restored agree small tough things are a hassle no one needs right now !!

Rosie, totally agree , I get very frustrated with people who don't do a simple job properly! Sounds like you have a busy week!
Rachel, as everyone had said about Tax, I think it's the tiredness is the worse thing, I am having next one on Thursday, this week i feel not too bad, but day 4 onwards until about day 10 I felt exhausted with aches and pains- but will be better prepared with painkillers this time!!
Wildpurl, I also enjoy reading about your garden activities! It must be very relaxing to potter about in it and how satisfying to watch things grow and even better to eat them!!
Good luck ladies with bloods etc this week, bloods for me this morning and then off to work! Xx

Lovewine great advice re headaches some thing I usually don't get but have with tax. Re wine opened a bottle the other night as was ok re gin and tonic but still a little acid will battle on as oh on beer. !!!

Frustrating Rosie frustrating !! Remember nearly at the end.

At last my faith has been restored she called me to go at 8am tomorrow. I can't cope when things become complicated things that should be simple and get angry!!!

How difficult is it to ring up for a blood test appointment? I have to go to Paphos tomorrow for blood test so they can let Nicosia have result for Thursday! Last time was very easy she said come at 8am. Today oh no she asked for my phone number - not a cat in hells chance of me remembering my mobile- we don't have a land line here. So she got me to ring off and call back in 2 mins. Then she said right I have your number I will get the nurse to to ring you. I said when will that be, she replied when she has finished what she is doing! Why can't she just make me an appointment as early as poss in the morning! Frustrated!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Glad to see most of you are doing well but scary that some have had tax no. 2 - reminds me that mine is coming soon. Well done Jackie I hope you’re feeling ok this morning. Rachel I hope today goes well for you I can’t imagine how you must have felt yesterday - I get myself so worked up before each treatment I think I would have had a meltdown if sent away!  Don’t be afraid to ask for different pain killers if you need them - I don’t know what you were given - I now have some stronger meds but only after struggling with over the counter ones.  Like Booksandwine I found the T harder partly because I was less informed about the potential SE’s.  I feel I was sent into battle without an army which was very frightening!  Backup soldiers now on standby - meds, creams, mouth wash, heat packs, chewing gum etc - and this forum! 

I see others have also found their temperature rises - mine went up to 38.2 at one point causing a complete panic and hovered a degree above my normal for about 6 days.  I will know to expect it next time and not be so worried. 

Just ordered the moo moo udderley smooth cream as one (!?) foot getting very sore and cracking. My nails are sensitive but no ridges nor flaking yet.  I find it amazing the variety of ways the same drug affects different people.  

Spending the day again trying to catch up with general chores having not achieved anything last week.  I find I tire quickly and can’t manage much before needing a nap, but at least the chemo brain is a little clearer. 

Whishing everyone a good day,

Nellie

Good morning ladies another day!
Wildpurl I love to read about your sessions in the garden it reminds me of The Good Life! Hope you enjoyed your strawberries and cream and it they didn't give you heartburn!
Welcome back Rachel. The S/E to Tax are different and effect us in different ways. I find I have no sickness, the aches and pains can be controlled with painkillers and only last for a few days. To be honest I would rather have the aches and pains than the sickness. The fatigue is a build up of chemo. I think most of us have painted our nails as we believe it makes them stronger. I am not sue if there is any medical truth in this but it makes us feel good as well.
Good luck hope all goes well and do post and let us know how you are doing!
I seem to have been handed back all the cooking and washing up this week. It is the last week of term here in Cyprus so DH up to his eyes trying to sort out staffing for September. We have to finish at the end of June because the temperature and humidity start to climb through July and August and even still in September. So I am going to be having my surgery just at the hottest point in the year with temp around 35-39!!! Hope you all have a
good day today. Hope jos and Jackie are feeling stronger! Hope you are ok Lovewine. xx

Hi just tried to do a quick catch up on posts Jo's get your sister to bring you over some pineapple lumps. Great flavour post when taste buds are good pineapple I find as a juice nice when yuck mouth and pineapple lumps are coated in chocolate bonus. Also Lemon and Paroa it's a drink specific to NZ you may enjoy a flavour change. Perhaps some manuka honey should be easier to get real thing and cheaper. Be lovely to haver her over as company.

Wildpurl hats off to you and your energy

Rosie you seem quite bright hope all is well

Best to everyone else

Rachel will reply to you fist as need to read all others. Re tax had my fist three weeks ago next is today. I have found it tougher than fec others are opposite. With fec though u only had a few though days tired aches and no sickness. Re tax it kicked in four days later so you will probably feel it Friday fir me very very tired and aches I had one night with high temp bordering on going in to hospital. But worst was sore dry mouth and no taste buds fir around 12 days This week week three been ok taste etc. oh and I has a rash around neck got antihistermune from sic lasted five days now gone. Nails I tried painting got sick of chipping also frozed gloves same theory as cold cap not frozen when I got to treatment gave up on stenghtnwr and vitamin e oil. All the best

Hi guys! Haven't posted for ages. Can only use phone and its a nightmare!! Am very anxious about my first tax tomorrow......especially after being supposed to have it today and being sent away from hospital because they hadn't allowed enough time!!! Grrrr. Everyone seems to coping well. I am more nervous about tax then i ever was about fec. Not sure why. Have been given pain killers. Would be grateful for any guidance and advice....is tiredness same as fec? When do pains kick in? How long do they last?? Nails??? x

Evening all, after a full on day at work during which my to do list tripled even though I have vey little time this week to do anything, I have just come in from the garden sowing salad seeds, watering and picking peas. Actually though I find it relaxing to be out in the garden and I feel better for it.
Jos I'm sorry you have had a difficult time, I think you are very strong to go through this and look after your daughter who is obviously strong and mature like her Mum. So glad to hear your sister will be coming over to look after you, I'm sure that will really take a load off you.

Jackie, sorry to hear about your difficulties sleeping but good that your SEs haven't been too bad. Hope you feel normal again soon.

Hope everyone else is feeling better than yesterday and had a good day. I'm holding out for fresh strawbs and cream and then I'm off to bed!

Hi Jackie, what a relief everything went smoothly for you this time, I find in the few days after chemo my temperature creeps up too, this just adds to the general anxiety doesn't it, Good luck with the next few days.
Jos, I have suffered with headaches for many years, they are very debilitating, a few years ago I was prescribed sumatriptan, which you can buy from pharmacy under the brand name of immigram, they are very expensive at £8.00 for 2 tablets, so see your g.p and get them on prescription for free!!they changed my life, my headaches go within about an hour and they are safe to take with chemo, I used to have to go to bed and sometimes a headache would last for days, so to me they are a miracle pill!!
Hope everyone else is ok x

Hello Jackie I am glad you are re-surfacing. How lovely that the nurse got the vein straight away that's always my fear and dread! I have the same problem re sleep if I do drop off in the day its lasts all of 15mins! I am always tired and struggling to see properly. Try to relax and not worry about possible side effects just take each day as it comes. Keep an eye on you temperature and drink plenty of water to wash out the nasties!!! Tomorrow is another day hope it will be better! xx

Hello everyone,

I hope you've all had good days today? You all sound as if you've had some lovely outings planned. I'm re-surfacing after my first cycle of tax and feel a bit if a fraud. I've had a reduced dose again (due to slow recovering bloods) and compared with you lovely lot, have got off lightly I think. I was really happy after treatment as my lovely nurse found a vein straight away, no fainting, no reaction to the drug and no SEs in the first few hours. Of course, I now know I was on a steroid high!! But it was good while it lasted! I've had the same issues re sleep - try as I might, I still can't get more than a few hours straight at night and a,though tired during the day, can't get comfortable enough to drop off. Was feeling very positive about the whole thing earlier as it really cheered me up to think I've more cycles behind me than infront and that kept my good spirits going. Now though, my temp,is beginning to creep up and the familiar sense of dread and worry is taking over again. Wildpurl, I couldn't believe how true your last post rang with me re the whole 3 week cycle of emotions - I literally could have written it for myself x x. I want to thank you all for your posts, as they have helped me not to panic too much about these new sets if SEs.
I'm not sure who asked about the sore mouth/oral thrush meds - my onc prescribes them with each tax cycle - they are called flucolozole and are a "favourite" of other oncs too. X x

jos I am pleased you daughter is so mature bless her, its a big thing for her to take on board. It will be lovely to have your sister over for 7 weeks to look after you. I can believe it must be very difficult for you and hope you have plenty of friends you can call on. x

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions Lovewine, Rosie and Joan.  It does sound like I should be seeing an improvement soon.

It was a shame about the tramadol.  i already know I have a reaction to codeine so that takes out some of the alternatives.  I think I could deal with the aches and pains but I find the headache and the nausea difficult.  Those didn't really start until yesterday.  Paracetamol usually deals with headaches pretty quickly for me but this one has really set in and makes everything seem difficult.

Rosie, my daughter is 7 and has been very mature about all this.  She knows when I need to take it slow and gives me lots of cuddles.  I have arranged post-school playdates (with dinner) for today and tomorrow so just have to manage a couple of hours before bedtime.  I reckon I'll be in bed before her tonight.

I'm now dreading my next Tax already.  The final one not so much as my sister is coming over from NZ to look after me.  She'll be here for 7 weeks and that should cover my op as well.  I can't wait for her to get here.  The most difficult thing has been not having another adult in the house all the time.

x

Jos, really sorry you are having such a tough time. I have been pretty much the same on my first TAX and it took me till day 10 to start to feel better. Next time my oncologist is going to keep me on steroids for a couple of days longer, at half the dose, to see if this helps. This might help to postpone the onset of the low mood. She is also prescribing codeine. Tramadol I think may be stronger, shame it made you feel sick. As others have suggested Piriton or similar antihistamine may also help with the aches and pains and warm baths if you have the energy to get into one. When I had neck aches with my first FEC I also found a microwaveable neck cushion helpful. In the end, however, it does seem we just have to grit our teeth and get through it. I am dreading the next one though. I hope your partner doesn't have to go away next time, that was very unfortunate. Like you, I didn't feel up to visitors. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Hi jos I am so sorry you have had such a torrid time and that your partner had to go away whilst you were so low. Did you take some painkillers for the aches and pains it does help. I sat there all day 4 suffering feeling sorry for myself and at 4.30 I had a text to see if a friend could visit so I kicked myself into gear and took some pain killers and I was able to laugh with her. I should have taken them before! Sorry chemo brain, I have just read your post and you did take pain killers!!!!!! You should start to feel better after today. I am on day 11 and apart from fatigue am not too bad! How old is your daughter is she old enough to know that you are having a bad day and need a bit of help? You are quite right it is such a serious medicine for such a serious illness! Hope you get better as the day progresses. x

Morning jos, you have described me exactly on my first Tax, I did fairly well on Fec, but was also knocked for six for a lot longer on Tax, couldn't get off settee for days hardly either!! I started to feel a little better by about day 10, but even now my energy levels have not picked up like they did before and have next round on Thursday! Hope you have a better week, especially if you have your daughter to care for- must be hard being a single mum with all this to deal with too, all the best. X

Good morning all.

Back after a few days silence.  I've just been catching up on posts and glad to see that many of you are doing well and getting out and about.

I've had a horrible few days.  Having done ok with FEC where I carried on pretty much as normal for much of the time, albeit a bit slower, Tax has really knocked me for six.  Since day 4 I have had aches and pains nearly all over, especially throat, chest and stomach which kicked in an the same time as the very low mood I get when I come off the Dexamethasone.  For the first time in all this, I have lost my appetite (not good as I was already losing weight even with eating quite a lot).  At the same time my partner (who lives 50 miles away anyway) had a work crisis and had to disappear off on a plane (back now).  I feel like I just lost 3 days as I just flaked out on the bed for hours at a time.  Friends were offering to come over but I just couldn't face visitors.  I have been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen.  When I tried the tramadol, it made me really sick.  At least my daughter was with her dad this weekend so I haven't had to worry about looking after her.

Today is day 8 and I still feel lousy.  I have my daughter back with me for most of this week so somehow have to get myself back in gear.  Judging by all your comments, it does start to lift around now so fingers crossed.

I guess I am lucky to have made it this far in to treatment before really feeling bad but it suddenly seems such an uphill struggle and a real reminder that this is serious medicine for a serious illness.

I hope you all have good days today. 

x

Lovewine glad you had a nice day yesterday and were able to enjoy a picnic! Hope it lifted you spirit!
I have just been scaring myself to death by reading about mastectomy and reconstruction! I must really not get involved in this until chemo is out of the way!
I have been out in the car this am to fill with petrol and collect a parcel from Post Office. Its good to be doing a normal activity! I have a work colleague coming to see me at 3pm so that will break the day up nicely!
Whilst waiting to pay for petrol I noticed some different flavour chewing gums thought they might be useful when taste goes. Raspberry and Blackcurrant and Tropical!

Morning everyone, good luck to all those getting bloods etc today. I'm at work this week and my bloods and onc appts are Wednesday. Like Joan my chemo is Friday so putting it out of my mind for now as much as possible.

Rosie I also have a fear that there will be a delay, from that point of view I agree every one done is one less to worry about!

Morning everyone, here we go again this week with bloods etc!!, had a nice day yesterday with visit to northants and a picnic in a country park! Making the most of it before Thursday.
Joan, clarityn has an ingredient in it called loratadine , it is different to piriton, I have found tesco do their own brand of non drowsy version at half the price and contains exactly the same ingredient of 10 mg loratadine- I think it's worth a try for aches and pains!
Rosie, yes a rollercoaster is definitely what we are on , I must say though just lately feel more down than up!
Have a good day everyone with various procedures etc!!

Good morning everyone! First frustration of the day I typed a post and then lost it! So here goes take 2!
Wildpurl chemo is a roller coaster ride. We always dread the administration and the side effects then we get through the first week recognising our symptoms from the previous cycle. Then week 2 comes and we begin to feel better and just as we are recovering well its time for another hit!
Your feeling are perfectly normal I am wishing my life away here by waiting for July 10th my last chemo! I am feeling very impatient now but also anxious in case something happens to delay it with my track record! My next one is on Thursday and I am looking forward to getting it behind me because there will be I left!!!! I do not like needles I hate it when they take blood and look the other way I can't stand the cannula and usually make a wailing noise when they insert it because each time seems to be harder for my poor viens! and they feel very bruised afterwards. I am not too keen having it in the right hand as it restricts puzzle books, eating and drinking. I pack myself a cool bag with drinks and snacks that I can pick on throughout. This helps the time pass and I always seem to be hungry. We have a 2 hour trip to Nicosia at the moment so by the time I get there I am starving! Hope this reassures you that we all experience these emotions!
It sounds like you have made some
yummy things to eat we will all be over to dinner!!! Hope you enjoyed your walk!
rolicarpit I am glad your eyes seem better and that you bbq went well. Good luck for the blood test I have mine on Wednesday!
Hope the rest of you are all ok and been taking advantage of the good weather! xx

Evening everyone

Hope everyone has a had a lovely day and made the best of the sunshine. Lovewine.... hope you had a good day. I grew up about 1 mile away from a place called Holbeche House which is where the gunpowder plot men ran off to after the plot was discovered, I think most of them were either wounded or killed there ... fascinating, the house still has musket holes in the wall.

Thanks to all re nails... I think I have probably missed the boat on the nail varnish front as they seem way past that, although have cut them short and am hoping it will grow out although I will ask the oncologist when I see him on Tues.

Glad your events went well Rosie, I'm so impressed at your will power re drinks etc and Joan your trip to Oxford sounds lovely, I often dont wear anything on my head as I find it just too hot and uncomfotable and have very rarely noticed more than a quick glance off people, I feel much more confident now, in fact I'm starting to worry about my hair growing back as I think its going look worse .... how stupid is that?

My eyes and nose seem to be much better, I've been taking claritin (well a cheaper version) for a few days and it seems to be working which is great, it meant I could enjoy the BBQ today which was great, nice to see colleagues from work and catch up a bit.

Well, start the treadmill again tomorrow ... blood test at 9.40.... here we go again !!!

Have a good evening

Lisa

Good morning Joan glad you had a good day in Oxford yesterday. You are very brave to go without a hat! Sorry to hear your hands are so bad I think you do need to soak them in your E45 bath oil! My fingers are very wrinkled and I find there is a slight loss of sensation and I have to be careful when handling glasses, sharp knives and hot drinks!
I have just come back from the local supermarket and stocked up on fruit to keep me off the toast and marmite!
I liked your colleagues comment about looking less stressed! Our waxwork faces may look less stressed but our poor bodies are certainly taking a battering!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Morning Joan, you posted while I was typing! I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip to Oxford yesterday. It sounds as though you are doing well!

Good morning Rosie and lovewine,
I have really mixed feelings about each chemo, as it approaches I dread the administering of it and the imminent side effects and being dosed up on loads of meds, when it happens the administering has always gone fine and goes quickly and then I take the next week as it comes. I'm always quite upbeat just after each chemo because another one is done, but during the first week I feel down because I am tired and fed up and then as I begin to feel more normal I feel my spirits lift, and then as the next one approaches I begin to dread it and so on. It is a roller coaster emotionally. I desperately want it all to be over, but if I think about that too much then I get depressed about the fact that it isn't! So I don't know if that's normal but that's how I feel.

Anyway, Rosie, I'm glad you enjoyed your evening, it sounds really lovely and well done with the wine, very restrained! Lovewine, your evening in the pub garden sounds lovely too, it is nice to get out and be normal isn't it? I hope your second Tax will be easier, a lot of people report their second is easier than their first.

Louise, I found the fatigue hard with FEC, it seemed to just drain all my energy for at least the first week. I don't think there is any advice other than what has already been said, I did find that it improved slightly in the later sessions, maybe my body got used to it, so I can only wish that things improve for you as you go through the chemo.

This weekend I have indeed been doing treat food to make the most of having taste. On Friday we had grilled salmon with new potatoes and mangetout from the garden; yesterday I made pizzas - asparagus and mozzarella and artichoke hearts, black olives and mozzarella. I use the Hugh F-W magic bread dough recipe to make pizza bases. Today we are having Moroccan style chicken, it has spices and lemon, will also be with new potatoes. It's fun trying some new recipes.

Today we are pottering about a bit tidying up and then taking a packed lunch and going for a walk. The plan is that this will be relaxing.

Had a lovely day in Oxford yesterday and wasn't as tired at the end of it as I thought although we did get a taxi back to the park and ride rather than face the 20 minute walk we had in the morning. I decided to abandon my hat both in the restaurant and the exhibition and wasn't aware of garnering any stares or comments so hope to be able to continue. However I do still have some stubble which appears to have grown over the last few weeks so I may feel different if I go completely bald. I am more embarrassed now about the state of my hands. The top layer of skin, which had been very inflamed, then went quite brown, as if tanned, and is now peeling off leaving pink skin underneath. It really looks horrible. Fingertips also feel calloused and there's a slight loss of sensation. Like others I also have weepy sore, light sensitive eyes, probably made worse at the moment by the high pollen count, and a runny nose when I eat. Isn't it wonderful. I keep having to remind myself that if it's having such effects on various parts of my body it must be doing something to the cancer cells.

Lovewine, is Clarityin different from Piriton. Is it a non drowsy antihistamine? I sympathise with your fedupness, I think it's partly that the side effects of TAX for us have been more severe and long lasting than FEC so the prospect of going through that again, with a shorter respite, are daunting. Also we've come quite a long way up the hill so were knackered but there's still a way to go. But we've made I this far; we can do the rest. Hope your outing today lifts your mood.

Rosie, glad you enjoyed your evening and your wine. Your wig was evidently a great success. The comment from your pupil about liking your new hairstyle better was priceless. When I went out with some ex colleagues the other day I had forewarned them that I looked pretty awful. So of course they were at pains to reassure me. One of them went a bit too far though and said she thought I looked better than before because I looked less stressed from work! No matter how stressed I might have been before I don't think I ever went nearly bald, had red blotches on my face etc. I can understand you worrying about putting weight on with the lack of activity; I was relieved to lose weight with FEC although it seems to have stabilised now, but am trying hard to eat sensibly and not to have recourse to comfort food too often. Sorry to hear you still have wobbly legs with TAX. Mine seem to have got a bit better although I was pleased I took my stick yesterday.

Louise, glad you enjoyed Whitby and good luck for Thursday. I ' m being done on Friday so hoping for a few outings this week before the return to Zombieland.

Rolicarpit, so sorry to hear that your nails are lifting off. I doubt there is anything you can do I'm afraid, have you asked the hospital ?

Tij, your energy levels certainly do seem to have returned. Shopping, mega wash for your son and a BBQ sounds more than enough for one day.

Nellie, glad you are on the mend. Re nail painting, there was quite a lot of discussion earlier on this forum about how to minimise nail damage with TAX and although there is no research evidence, there is anecdotal evidence that using a very dark nail polish can help by cutting out UV light.. Since my oncologist was happy with this I decided to go ahead so now have purple nails. My other reason is that before chemo I used to nibble at my nails, especially when sitting at the computer or driving. Since I do little of the former now, and none of the latter, they grew. So for just about the first time in my life I have decent nails, with painting. Dark polish also stops any temptation to nibble. Re herbal remedies for insomnia you probably need to check this out with the hospital. I remember when I filled in the form at the start about medication they specifically asked you to note any herbal remedies you were taking. Thanks for your mouthwash remedy. I had a very sore mouth with FEC and did find bicarbonate helpful though had no idea about the dilution rate. I had also heard that salt was good but have never tried them together.

One final thought. Our shower is out of action because we are having some work do e on the bathroom. So I am bathing every day and using E-45 bath oil. It is absolutely brilliant, my skin has never felt so smooth, better than any body option. I plan to continue using it after this is all over. Unfortunately, because I like to read in the bath my hands have never been immersed. Am wondering now whether it might have helped with the dry skin.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Hope you had a lovely chat with your daughter Rosie! Your sons wedding not far away now too, it will be great to see all your family together! X

Sorry Lovewine I didn't finish typing my daughter Skyped me and I panicked into posting it in case I lost it have just adjusted the ending!!!!

Thanks Rosie, yes me too, I love history and we are fortunate here as live on Leicestershire/ northants border and surrounded by interesting things to visit, we only live a short distance from Naseby and civil war sites which I find very interesting!! Supposedly on the long , straight road the civil war soldiers rode towards leicester on you can hear in the night sometimes the clatter of horses hooves and villagers rush to see what's going on and nobody there!!the estate we are visiting today is part of the Tresham estate, we went last year to another part of estate were there is a cross called " the Eleanor cross" in a small village and it is one of only a few left where queen Eleanor's body was rested on its way to Westminster abbey, I find it very interesting!! X

Lovewine there must be something wrong with me I am really looking forward to Tax 3 on Thursday as it means there will only be one left! I do know what you mean about the next stage in the treatment looming. It would be good to have a date and talk to the surgeon about what will happen. I suppose they wait until you have completed chemo first. As I am going Private here for op the surgeon fits them in quite quickly. Anyway he can't do it until I am back from UK after Aug 5th!
I do hope you enjoy your day at the country park and that it will lift your mood. I go up and down in the day. Sometimes I feel very sorry for myself and very lonely. The Gunpowder Plot is one of my favourite historical events as a Key stage teacher it is an event we studied regularly.x

Hi Rosie and everyone! Sounds like the wig was a success Rosie, they do get very sweaty in hot weather though, always take mine off too when I get home, it is nice isn't it to have a normal evening out, that's what I like when we go to local pub garden, even if it's just for an hour, I agree with the fatigue issue, it seems before this crappy disease we were all very busy, active ladies and now can hardly do anything!! It is really hard to deal with, I don't feel like I have recovered properly this time before I go again on Thursday for Tax 4!!i was also told to rest when tired , but to try and walk a little every day, I do this even if I feel really crap and it does make you feel better to get out in fresh air.
Louise , I love whitby, so glad you had lovely weather, makes a big difference, it's always busy there , the fish and chips in magpie cafe are delicious!!
Regarding aching joints and bones, before I go on Thursday for Tax I am going to stock up on clarityn as looking into it, found it is supposed to effective on helping these symptoms! Seeing as I have a continual snotty nose and weeping eyes anyway , helping the bone pain would be a bonus! Not sure if the 5 day booster injections made aches much worse, but this time I really don't want to feel like I did before , must say I feel quite Fed up this week- almost back to the way I felt when first diagnosed, can only think it's because another stage in treatment is looming and it's into the unknown again!!
Have a lovely day ladies, think myself and hubby and dogs are driving into neighbouring Northamptonshire to a " English heritage" country park which has a historical folly lived in by one of the gunpowder plot men, it has acres of woodland and park as well as a good dose of history and culture!!not too far away for us to drive there( about 30 mins), so hoping it may lift my gloomy mood!! Xx

Goodmorning ladies!
rolicarpit have you painted your nails they say it helps? Mine flake and I have cut them back a bit shorter but I have got a friend to keep them painted for me all the way through chemo. They will go back to normal like everything else.
Do hope you enjoyed the bbq!
Lovewine I hadn't thought of getting insects in eye due to lack of lashes! You were certainly very busy yesterday well done you!
Louise glad you enjoyed Whitby! The fatigue seems to build up and its the one thing I can't shake off between sessions. I think it is because I have always been so active teaching and now suddenly I am at home my brain is willing but my body just isn't. I constantly have wobbly legs. I do try to take the dog just a very small walk in our road each evening when it has cooled down here but its only a few metres! I am finding the inability to sleep more than 2 hours a time during the night very frustrating even with the help of sleeping tablets. Some days I do manage to cat nap but only for about 20 mins. I guess its just another thing we are going to have to get through day by day. Yesterday I was awake for 19 hours and I still didn't manage a proper sleep finally got out of bed at 5.22am! As Tlj says go with your body and if you just have to rest do so. I spend most of the day sat down. I am terrified I am going to start pilling weight on in a minute as my appetite has returned to normal and I have put back some of the pounds I lost when I had the 5 weeks of runs! Take pain killers for aching joints. I do get up each day even if I don't feel like it, a shower is always a little boost. I have only had one day where I really couldn't get out of bed and then DH made me get up in the afternoon!
And so to my evening out it felt good doing something normal. I had a long chat with the teacher who has taken over my class of Year 1 and it was lovely to be talking about the little characters that make up the class!
You will be impressed ladies - on arrival there was a non alcoholic cocktail for the students, I noticed most of the staff had different coloured drinks in their glasses, but I joined the students! With the meal there was water on the table and I had one glass of Rose wine that lasted me all night!!! It was lovely to hold a wine glass and I just kept taking tiny sips the taste was a little strange but I enjoyed the experience! I got DH to put some ice in it when it was half way down and when we left at 11pm there was still some left in the glass that I left! When I got home we sat outside with a cup of tea and I was still wide awake! DH went to sleep outside so I left him and the dog and went to bed. Slept on and off! I wore the wig last night and one of the pupils said, " Oh Miss you have changed your hairstyle it looks much better!!!!!" I just smiled sweetly! So my synthetic wig is better then my real hair??? I couldn't wait to take it off when I got home my head was sweaty but I had managed to wear it for 5 hours! I was much happier with the cut as my earrings were visible and the hair didn't get in my face.
I hope all you other ladies are having a good weekend it looks like you are enjoying some good sunny weather in the UK at the moment! xxx

Tlj 63 thanks the onc told me the same frankly I wouldnt even get out of bed for a week I just feel sick and exhausted for a week with terrible taste in my mouth. I am so fed up of this fecing chemotherapy and now my joints ache too.Really I need to find a new hobby !

Louise, the only advice I was given re fatigue was to listen to your body. So when you're tired, stop and rest. Having said that I was also told to do a little exercise everyday.

Hi Rosie we have been away to Whitby fabulous weather chemotherapy on thurs so enjoying being normal before fecing zombie land strikes honestly can anyone offer any advice re the fatigue ?

Evening ladies, been gardening and hoovering today and now knackered! Been down pub garden with hubby for a well earned glass of cold, white wine!!
Lisa, not sure what you can do about nails lifting off, other than nail strengthened/ polish, hope you enjoy your barbecue, looks like the weather will stay good for you!
Rosie, hope your do went well, sure you looked lovely with your artfully applied brows and make up, and hope you enjoyed your tipple of choice too- will do you world of good!!
Joan, hope you had a nice day at art exhibition too, Wildpurl , you said you were planning some nice meals before next Blasting next week, hope you have enjoyed them so far? I too have very watery eyes and runny nose, especially in the mornings when I walk over fields with my dogs- so assume it's hay fever even though I have never suffered with it before!
Tij, you sound like you have had a productive day- hope you Also enjoy your barbecue and have managed to plough through your sons washing!
Cassie and Nellie, hope you are coping ok? Nellie, I have used valerian sleeping tablets before which you can buy from holland and Barrett or any health store, they can be effective or Zoplicone from the doctor is Also effective I found.
Booksandwine I also have bugger sell brows and eyelashes are very thin, in fact trying to put mascara on us " hunt the eyelash" and takes ages, have some false ones and gave them a try, but looked like I had a dead insect on my eyeball!!

Evening
Hope everyone has had a good day?

I've just discovered my fingernails are lifting off, particularly my thumbnails .. Any advice ?

Wildpurl, thanks for the information, I will have a look locally to see what's available and maybe give it a go, probably once my chemo has finished.

BBQ prep pretty much done, now for a snooze !

Lisa

I have the weepy eyes at the moment too, my lashes don't feel that sparse but I guess they must be thinner than usual. You are right about the pollen count in the UK at moment Rosie, it is very high. It's annoying because I get my eyes all made up for work and by 9.00 am it has largely washed off!

I drink the odd glass of wine from when I feel like it in week 2, and cider as well at this time of year, although on Tax I have to wait until after I finish the antibiotics which is Day 12.

Rolicarpit, you should be able to find Pilates beginner classes at a gym or with local teacher. Most classes are multilevel anyway and the teacher will give the lowest option first for each move and then harder options for the more advanced people. Pilates is quite gentle although someone once described it as doing not very much for an hour and then next day you ache all over, it is deceptive but you can work to your own level. I went back to Pilates 4 weeks after my mastectomy and have tried to do two classes a week ever since, with FEC I missed a class just after the chemo but with Tax I think I should be able to go the next day. In week 1 I do a 45 minute class which is easier.

Thanks for the encouragement about how quickly time went between your last but one chemo and your last, rolicarpit. It's true that the time does go quickly and my second to last is less than a week away now. I just really want to be done with this, like all of us, but at the same time I don't want to spend all my time wishing chemo was over.

Glad everyone seems to be emerging from the chemo fog. My energy levels are returning. Been to the supermarket this morning to stock up on BBQ food for this afternoon and done several loads of washing. My son returned home last night and the aroma from the suitcase was shall we say 'interesting'!
My mouth still feels a bit odd and water still tastes funny, my finger tips feel a bit tender but otherwise I seem to be ok.
Hope you have all got lovely weather like we have. Enjoy your weekend.

Dam post didn't post round two.

Joan good on you for reaching out to newly diagnosed ladies

Rosie glad you had fun.

Cassie that's a lot of stairs. !

Wildpurl impressed with your energy hoping I have more on tax two.

I have weepy eyes thin as sparse lashes and bugger all brows. Still hair seems to be growing back very odd. Best to all

Hi Nellie well done on reaching day 6 and turning the corner. I think the worst thing about this chemo is we turn the corner just begin to feel more like normal and bang off we go again, steroids, pain , loss of taste and inability to sleep!
The reason ladies get their nails painted is that some of us are finding that we are getting very flaky nails and some even lift off a little. As we are loosing everything else to do with our femininity it also makes us feel a little better about our selves! I am not sure the colour really matters it has been said that dark colours are better. Mine are bronze at the moment. Enjoy your weekend and I hope mum's Taxi won't be too busy!!!

Hi again, 

Rolicarpit - strangely I was told to look out for this as you have fewer nasal hairs and eyelashes the bodys natural pollen filters and to expect runny eyes and nose.  I think piriton is a good idea - which remindes me had anybody heared about using claritin for the bone pain.  Lots of success stories with it on the internet - I am on my way to get some now!

Nellie

Morning everyone,

Glad to say I feel back in the world of the living having turned the corner on the 6th night by actually getting some sleep. I tried a sleeping tablet the evening before but it made no difference and having read about the side effects may not bother next time and just sit it out.  Has anyone tried any herbal sleep remedies? 

I was so unprepared for the pain side effects of tax don’t think I would have coped without this forum to know it was normal.  I agree with Joan it would be great to have a collated guide to symptoms and suggested remedies from patients to save us all having to re-invent the wheel so to speak and spend ages googling our symptoms.  Jas I hope you are managing day 6 and soon feeling on the mend.  Again the low mood is an effect not mentioned - by my team anyway, and I think is made a whole lot worse by the lack of sleep.

Rosie I am glad you managed to enjoy the show and are escaping out again tonight.  I tried a glass of wine last night but had to dilute it as it burned my mouth.  The effects were also very rapid!  Perhaps try a spritzer with plenty of ice? 

I sympathise with you Booksandwine about the sore mouth (and throwing out all your nice bras!) I don’t know if I have been lucky or found a cure but I found a mouth care advice sheet from one of the hospitals (Royal Brompton?) that recommended making a mouth wash with 250ml water and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and bicarbonate of soda. Use before and after meals and every few hours.  I had the glass by the sink and rinsed regularly getting through the 250 ml by the end of each day.  All I can say is my mouth and throat immediately felt soothed and has not been a problem since. Luck?

Cassie I hope you are managing in this heat I can’t imagine how you manage your stairs - I had to crawl up mine on hand and knees at my low point - very painful and it took ages! 

Is there a reason everyone is getting their nails painted?! Is it cosmetic or medicinal, and does it have to be dark? I have not had any problems with hands and feet yet although I have noticed my fingernails are a bit achy so have cut them short.

I hope everyone has a good day today - looks like I’m back to being the family Taxi / dogs body but nice to feel normal!

Hi Rosie,

Maybe I'll try some piriton or something and see whether that makes a difference, I've just re read my post which makes me sound a bit of an alcoholic lol .... I don't think I am? I've actually found that a weak gin and tonic doesnt taste too bad at those points when I can't taste anything else.  BBQ will be fine, I have plenty of help and it will lovely to see people.

Goodmorning rolicarpit as the weather has been drier in the UK I think you will find that the pollen count has been up which could have affected you. It will only be tonight when I am having a drink I am thinking I may just have the wine as the spirits here are very generous Mediterranean portions, at least double. In fact I never have a spirit and mixer when in the UK because I can't taste it.
Gosh you are going to be busy with a bbq for 20 good luck hope it goes well!
Last Tax on Thursday sounds great!

oh and for those of you that are approaching your last but one TAX, it really doesnt feel 5 minutes since mine and now I'm near my last so it will whizz by and you will have finished this leg pretty soon x

Wildpurl I am impressed with your level of physical activity, I can't imagine doing any form of exercise at the moment but am looking forward to resuming a bit of gym work and tennis when I can, I've thought about pilates often and maybe that will be a nice way back into some exercise... can you get basic classes that arent too taxing?