1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

rosie14

Re: Radiotherapy planning meeting

I agree Cassie we all want this treatment out of the way ASAP. I have the joy of rads after surgery and the possibility of herceptin if my heart recovers as I am Her 2 positive. Hope your daughters manage to find suitable bridesmaid dresses. I don't blame you not joining them it would be ok if they were going to one shop but if they are going to several it would be far too tiring for you .
Lovewine

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Hi everyone, Rosie, lovely to hear from you, sorry to hear D/H has to have another procedure today, hope he recovers well, good luck to you with side effects too hope they are minimal, what a time you are both having, just keep your sons wedding in the forefront of your mind as ime sure you are, what a lovely occasion it will be😄😄you must feel easier too in your decision for a double mastectomy, I have a couple of friends who had this op several years ago and both recovered well and in a matter of days felt very good, I think too the pain afterwards is very minumal and neither had to even take paracetamol after a couple of days!!
Good luck today everyone having procedures or challenges!!
Wildpurl

Re: Chemo today

Good morning everyone, gosh the board has been humming this morning! Rosie glad to see you up and about, but I think sleeping pills will be a good idea as you need your sleep to aid your recovery. I think a double mastectomy makes perfect sense, it is natural to feel weepy about it all, I cried and cried when I first had my BRCA2 diagnosis and realised that I would have a double mastectomy. Once I had done the research and understood better what was involved and what the results would look like, I calmed down and felt OK about the decision. My reconstructed breast feels like part of me now, six months on, and it will be the same for you, also as you say they will match from the start.

What a great idea to use paper plates! You and DH need to look after yourselves for the next couple of weeks I think, but glad he will be OK, that must be a relief to you both.

Cassie what another palaver at your hospital, it beggars belief. At my hospital there is a separate room for the people needing bloods who have a PICC line as the nurses are specially trained.

Joan, good tip about watermelon, I will maybe give that a try next round.

Lovewine, glad you seem to be doing well.

I had a positive thought yesterday - as I said I find week 2 is my up week and then week 3 is a downward week because I have hospital appt, chemo is looming and then I have to take the dreaded steroids. I realised that after next week there will be another week 1 and week 2 but there won't be any more week 3s! Because I will be able to just carry on recovering. So obvious that you have all probably realised this already, but it has cheered me up no end.
rosie14

Re: Chemo today

Cassie I can't belief what you went through yesterday at the hospital poor you! I am glad the remaining steroids didn't make you sick.
The mole was on DH back not his arm he has gone now the surgeon said he would be able to drive himself if he was careful because I couldn't possibly have gone with him to Limassol today the day after chemo and driven him back it is about 1.15 hrs journey. I have sent him with a cool bag contains food and drink.
rosie14

Joan the nurse stuck a needle in my rear before we started assumed it was a steroid injection and I was on double steroids the day before. The reaction wasn't as bad as the first time because I recognised the symptoms and told them straight away. When they stopped the drip it was a steroid injection they gave me as the doctor who came to check blood pressure and pulse told me. I soon recovered and they started the drip again slowly and after 15 mins to normal speed.
Re taste Joan I have purchased some fruit flavoured Orbit chewing gum and I find this helps a little . When at worst I usually smother food with salt and pepper and mustard. I have also purchased some brown sauce for bacon. Marmite is my other favourite.
Fortunately I got my dress in the sale after Christmas whist in UK and shoes on our April visit. I have ordered some post surgery soft bra inserts from Nicola Jane website I ordered non wire front opening bras from her ant they were here within the week! I have had an email to say they have been dispatched so should get a delivery note any day to collect from post office. Dress is ruffled over bust area and not low cut so should be ok I will have a try on before I go!x
Cassie86

Radiotherapy planning meeting

I have another radiotherapy planning meeting booked for the same day as my next consultant & bloods appointment 28th July, lets hope it all goes smoothly, better than yesterdays performance as I will have to travel from north to central London to UCLH, they only wanted to book it for 6 days after the last chemo again the appointment was offered by telephone this time and I explained that I would likely feel to wobbly to be traveling around too much at that stage, so they agreed to change the appointment to the day before the last session, its still not ideal but I have got to the stage where I really do not want to delay anything  the sooner the treatment if finished and PICC line is out the better. I am sure we all feel the same, I have my eldest daughter down in London this weekend, both daughters will be off looking for bridesmaid dresses, I won't  be joining them this time, it will be too soon after my treatment . Lovely to have nice things to look forward to though.

Keep well ladies

Cassie86

Chemo today

Hi Joan47, EAM28, Wildpurl, Nelli and Rosie and lovewine,

I had an eventful day yesterday to say the least after being as sick as a dog (not sure why that expression is used) after the dredded 4 steroids at 8am (I had eaten breakfast first) I phoned the chemo dept to see if they had any advice they just said go ahead with the 12noon tablets as usual and hope for the best (they sayed down thankfully.) 1.40 appt with the consultant slid to 3.00ish I was then seen by an unknown doctor and a pharmacist who seemed far more knowledgable even to the extent of helping the doctor to fill in the follow up appt form lol, bless. I then had to wait until the whole story of my admission (I had by luck brought the discharge letter it had not found its way to my notes yet) the recent sided effects were then relayed to my original consultant! I just about made it at 3.45 to the bloods dept and was releaved to see it was empty, was invited into the room, you should have seen the poor guys face, I could have been speaking in another language, he started looking at the arm without the PICC line in and asking about my veins, I explained that that is the whole point of having a PICC line you put treatment in and take blood out, he eventually said come with me please I will speak to a collegue, his collegue informed me that they could not take bloods from a PICC line because of hygine issues and that I needed to speak to the chemo dept about it. (They were not happy about seeing me it was obvious so late in the day) We waited for about an hour but it was straight forward in the end both the lines are working OK.)

We then went off for lunch at 5.20, its a wonder I had not fainted since the bit of toast I managed to force in for the 12 noon steroids.

Rosie sorry about DH's melanoma diagnosis, I hope his sore arm recovers soon, I am sure they can find a nice waterproof cover for it, I don't mean to sound mean. I have had a wide excision on my upper arm about three years ago lucky for me it was clear nothing malignant but I still had a nice crater in my arm for several months which has filled in nicely now with new fat I guess. You will both have to look after each other or as you say the dog will have a new job! Glad you both had a nice break and good luck with your forthcoming surgery. X Cassie

joan47

Rosie, sorry to hear you had the allergic reaction again; did they give you hydrocortisone and antihistamine or whatever other meds they used to stop the reaction in advance as well as the steroids. I was told they would do that with me next time. I hope the side effects are not too bad/don't go on too long; it's so tough to have to face the operation before you have properly pulled out of the chemo tunnel. But it sounds very sensible that the op has been postponed for a few days at least, especially since it is now going to be a double. What a decision to have to take but you seem to have had good advice. I'm glad that the news about your husband was good, but really you could have done without this additional anxiety. I assume you have already bought your outfit for your sons wedding. Will it need any adjustment? I know you have avery clever dressmaker you can call on if need be. Glad you had a lovely weekend away even if inevitably overshadowed by anxiety.

Jos, glad the chemo went well. Lovewine and EAM, great you are feeling better.

One of the worst things about chemo for me has been the foul taste in the mouth, feeling thirsty but not fancying a thing to drink. A few weeks ago I bought some watermelon slices, not normally my favourite fruit. It's been brilliant and I can just about detect some flavour. So I now take slices to bed with me to chomp on in the night; take them out with me - sat munching them in the hospital waiting area yesterday- and keep a box of slices in the fridge. Of course I will probably never be able to face it again after this.
rosie14

Thanks Nellie for your positive comments on double mastectomy. My daughter said you don't need them mum they weigh heavy and get in the way!
DH thinks your idea of paper plates is a very good idea. So tomorrow I will get some also some dishes and plastic cups . Thanks for a brainwave Nellie how clever! Our dog is a pointer cross a medium to large dog so she needs a walk otherwise she starts a wall of death round the open plan downstairs when it is cooler . A couple of neighbours have offered so once steroids have worn off and I am In the I can't move from my chair mode in a few days I may well enlist some help.x
nellie2099

Hi Joan,

I found most things out about triple negative just by trawling the internet but being careful of the credentials of the sources of the articles.  Most of my family are doctors and I even muddled through half of med school myself so I guess I like to know the nitty gritty! 

In particular I was interested in the risk factors for triple neg - none of which needless to say applied to me, and the prognosis.  I am very conscious that statistics although useful in some situations are not an indicator of one’s own outcome and should be treated as such. It seems that although triple neg has a higher early recurrence rate, once you get past five years your pretty well in the clear. So swings and roundabouts really!

You may find the following interesting:

I found this little slide show put things quite succinctly:

http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/triple-negative-breast-cancer-recurrence#4

This is an overview from good source.

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/trip_neg/behavior

Last one: this huge document deals with all cancers but I found it was helpful page 19 on, where it discusses breast cancer risk factors and how they don’t apply to triple neg.   Ignore if you like!!

http://www.ncsi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Lifestyle-Review.pdf

I hope the links work - if not I can try something else but not sure what?  Will be interesting what your doctor has to say.

Cheers Nellie

nellie2099

Hi all,

How lovely to hear so many reports of ‘back to normal’.  EAM, Lovewine, Wildpurl well done for battling through it again.  I am doing much better this cycle - I don’t know if it’s the extra tablets or just knowing what to expect. I certainly won’t need to call 999 this morning unlike 3 weeks ago!  Everyone’s comments have also helped to buck my mood and I feel positive enough to tackle little things between rests - so thanks all.

Jos well done on your penultimate TAX I am glad it went without a hitch.  (Just think it will be us finishing next time!!!) Did your mood manage to lift a little before as I know you said you were feeling a bit mouldy despite it being the third week? I am really noticing the zero taste buds this time - bit of a bore but not too bad in the grand scheme of things.  I plastered last night’s dinner with Worcestershire sauce so could at least taste something!

Joan I am pleased your MRI scan went well and the machine was not too claustrophobic. Sounds like a very flash hospital - I am afraid I would have probably missed my appointment due to being in the Costa coffee queue!  I bet it was lovely to have some time with your grandchildren who hopefully will have restored some of your vigour - or completely worn you out!?

Cassie sorry to hear you struggled with sickness; thank goodness you already had an appointment yesterday so fingers crossed they were able to get you sorted quickly.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Nellie

nellie2099

Hi Rosie

Lovely to hear you are still battling on bravely.  I am so glad your little holiday was restful even though your mind must be spinning with all you have to contend with.  Your ability to be positive is even more impressive as we all know what effects the drugs have on our poor brains! I think your double mastectomy decision sounds very sensible and definitely the best way to go forward.  How reassuring to actually have the doctors confer directly about your case - hopefully the extra few days’ recovery after chemo will make things a little easier.

I hope DH is not too sore after his ‘wider excision’ you could always opt for paper plates for a week until washing up arm back in commission!  My poor dogs not getting much attention other than cuddles on the sofa and pottering in the garden.  Still they should be grateful I did not have the heart to diminish contact due to infection fears - I still get my face licked!  Yuck!

Cheers

Nellie

rosie14

Good morning dear ladies as you can see I am back! I have now caught up wih all you threads what a busy board this has become. It's taken me two hours. I am sad to report I thought it would sleep well after coming home after final chemo am
feeling very tired . I had only just bit over the side effects of the previous one by Saturday ended with sore mouth for two days. I had luckily taken mouth wash with me to Kyrenia. It has only been11 days since chemo when I had the final dose yesterday. I was given a steroid injection at onset and another when I had the reaction yet again. I have 3 days of steroids to take and the 5 days of injections starting tomorrow. I could really do without DH being cut and stitched again today you know what men are like!
But I guess it's better out of the way and then thankfully it's all done and dusted for him! I am so glad I have got a full week to get some of the worst side effects over. I only slept for 2.5 hrs last night I am taking the sleeping tablets for the next few days! I had the washing in by 3.30am and it is just about to get hung out now it is light!
I think it is Cassie having chemo today all the best and if it's not you apologies to whoever it was and hope all goes well! I think I am going to have a very difficult brain week ladies!
I am have opted for double mastectomy as my cancer was so aggressive and grew very quickly. I am 58 and the surgeon agreed at my age it was a wise move as I would prolong my life. I really couldn't face going through this all again. Also the surgeon explained that when I have reconstruction, which will be implants, it will be a much simpler op as he won't have to butcher left breast to make it match! The only reason I faltered was worrying about the just two weeks to get over double . The surgeon assured
me it shouldn't be any more difficult than the single. Let's hope he is right . I am going to see if I can see a speak to someone at Paphos Cancer support group preferably one of the English staff I am hoping they will come to the house . I have questions to ask that I don't feel I can ask the male surgeon and of course the emotional side of it all. I was feeling vey weepy by Sunday night about would the final chemo happen as it was only 11 days after previous and I had only just begun to feel anything like normal again. Then I was desperately worried about DH results that were better than the surgeon was expecting! That did come as a huge relief. Also rather worried seem to be putting on a few pound far too easily. I am going to have to be careful in the afternoon no more crackers and cheese or cashew nuts! I think most of it is also down to lack of exercise but on top of everything looks like I am going to have to walk the dog from tomorrow until next Monday when I have surgery because of DH external stitches and deeper cut!
It took me two mugs of tea to complete reading and responding to the four days I have missed. Hope you all manage to have good days whatever you are doing. Xxxxxx
rosie14

Jos well done on joining the one more to go club it is a good feeling, the only thing was that as the last ones approached I found myself getting more and more anxious that something would happen to delay it but I have always lived with the fear of never being able to get on that flight on July 28th for our youngest sons wedding!
rosie14

Cassis did you take the steroids after food you need to line your stomach first ?
rosie14

Lovewine it's good to get the last chemo out of the way I can't quite believe it has finished for me and I am very nearly going to hit surgery!i too am feeling very emotional and sorry for myself and stress and snap very quicky and now DH is going to be coming home with a bigger cut and more stitches today and I will have to give him sympathy and do washing up all this week when I feel so unlike it!
rosie14

Nellie sorry to hear you teenagers aren 't being too helpful my 3 never were through the teenage years but they are being a huge support to me be it from 2000 miles away over Skype and Facebook messages . But of course you need the support now. Can you offer a suitable reward for a number of jobs I used to find money a good encouragement. Especially youngest son. I offered him a very generous 70 pound to completely clear the very overgrown back garden. I thought it would keep him busy for several days. Oh no he went out when he got up and spent all day at it and had finished and filled the sacks by nightfall so my purse was empty by the evening! I never offered that much again!
rosie14

Louise I have to undergo 6 weeks of rads following surgery and I am convinced that nothing can be as bad as repeated chemo! So you and me will stay positive about this!
rosie14

Glad your son's play went well Tlj and hope prize giving goes well. Hope you are now feeling better from side effects.
rosie14

Glad to hear you are ok Eam been thinking about you! Glad end of chemo is in sight and you have a holiday booked and how handy near rads! Do hope the weather will be kind to you but I am sure you will have a great family time whatever!
rosie14

Joan sorry to read you are still having temperatures problems and glad they didn't keep you too long this time!
rosie14

Thanks Nellie it did recharge batteries and DH has his own iPad!
rosie14

Thanks jos had a restful weekend and final chemo done!
rosie14

Oh no Joan the iPad is for my sole use unless I need help like I did initially setting it up but all sorted now. DH has his own and yes he took it with him but wifi only available in certain areas so he couldn't use it that much!
rosie14

Lovewine had a lovely weekend thanks just what we both needed ate well, slept better, and a little alcohol!
rosie14

Thank you Wildpurl I will hold on to your experience of expanders!
rosie14

Re: PICC Line is in

Cassie sorry to hear you had such issues with your line I really feel this should have all been sorted before you left the hospital they must fit enough of them for goodness sake!
Wildpurl

Great to hear from you Rosie, glad you had a lovely break and well done on being the second of the April starters to finish your chemo. I think you've had quite a challenging journey! Sleep well
jos

Hello All

I've now joined the "one more to go club" and feel very happy about that.  Tax went fine this morning and so far just very tired and mouth starting to dry up.  Bye bye tastebuds, hello cardboard tasting meals!

Rosie - so pleased to hear you had a good time away, that you've had your last chemo and your surgery is now properly sorted.  Sorry to hear of your husband's melanoma but as you say it could have been worse.

Cassie - hope hospital visit went ok and picc line is feeling better.  Cant's wait for mine to come out in three weeks time.  it's been in since the beginning and I want shot of it now.

Joan - glad you had a lovely time with the grandchildren and hope you have a good afternoon at the support centre.

EAM and Lovewine - glad you are feeling better.

Very tired here so signing off.   Sleep well all.

x

rosie14

Hi everyone just to let you know I am back home and will catch up with all your news tomorrow! Had a lovely 3 days away it did us the world of good! Ate 3 course meals each night and weighed in 2 lb heavier for final chemo today! I slept much better away and didn't,t take any sleeping pill. I had a couple of drinks on Friday and Saturday night but I have to confess it doesn't taste the same has anyone else experienced this? Didn't have any Sunday as I had to start the steroids. Final chemo was supposed to be Thursday for me as you know and was bought forward in order to have surgery on Friday. Oncologist and doctor both not happy about it being so soon and after a stressful wait oncologist got to speak to surgeon and it will now be on Monday 14 this still gives me two weeks to recover and they say this should be fine . To be honest I am glad to have three more recovery days following chemo. I had the reaction again and this time DH was there to witness it he had gone off somewhere
The other two times. Fortunately only a 20 min delay and another steroid injection! Anyway I didn't feel the sense of relief it is all over I guess because of the quick route into surgery looming! Also I have been stressing out about DH and his mole removal results. We had a call to go to see the surgeon on our way home from Nicosia and I was working myself into a right frenzy incas he needed chemo or rads! Well it wasn't as bad as I feared it is a melanoma but not aggressive. He has to go back tomorrow morning for further local surgery to clear the margin and then that will be it no chemo no rads what a relief! The only thing is he will have a bigger cut and external stitches. Hopefully he will be able to wash up by next week or else my daughter suggested letting the dog lick the plates!
I look forward to catching up with you all tomorrow I am off to bed now in the hope I manage to stay in bed until after 5am!
Xxxxxxx
Lovewine

Evening Wildpurl. It's in my mind Rosie had last chemo today, I think on way home from kyrenia! And surgery in a few days, all the very best to you rosie x
Wildpurl

Good evening everyone, nice to hear from so many, this is obviously an up period for many of us! Joan, I loved your description of your new hospital building, and everyone checking in and going to a gate. I'm sure it will come to us all in time. They could definitely afford to allow sick people to buy duty free though!

Cassie I really hate the moment when I have to take my megadoses of steroids. I'm always at work, and I feel spaced out immediately and weird. I haven't been sick yet though, that must have been horrid. I hope you feel
Ok now.

I had a busy day working from home and still have plenty to do; tomorrow I hope to get some documents updated. The time passes so much more quickly when I am working and it has definitely made me feel more normal today. We had a ploughmans for tea with pork pie, salad and potato salad, and I even had a glass of wine.

I hope Rosie is OK, was she having her final chemo today or has my addled brain got confused?

Hope you all have delicious (or random) dinners and a good nights sleep.
Lovewine

Hi everyone, I too feel back to normal today! Even worked for most of the day almost as well as pre illness!!
I too wake up soaked and not sure what caused it, but it is very unpleasant and disrupts sleep.
Joan, your cancer support centre sounds really good, we haven't anything like that here either, I am going on the look good course in two weeks, not sure if ime looking forward to it ! How nice to have time with your daughter and grandchildren, I am so looking forward to being a grandma but no sign yet! And yes it was lovely to have such support on race for life, it's also shocking how many people are affected by cancer when you go to these kind of events.
Eam, good on you having things planned for this week- you can almost forget we are ill during the good week!! So make the most of it and enjoy it!😃😃😃
Louise, teenagers can be very challenging at best of times, my youngest son is 23 and lives at home at the moment , but is moving out soon, I do think at times he can be very selfish, but then at others very thoughtful, but I think my tolerance levels are not great surprisingly at the moment! Sounds like you have your teenagers worked out though!!
Cassie, hope everything went ok at hospital.
Take care everyone and hopefully a restful evening and a good nights sleep💤💤
EAM28

Evening ladies,well i feel completely back to normal now (day 11) apart from a sore nose (it was really dry & sore this round & had a few nose bleeds).  So actually enjoyed the little things in life - nice cuppa & a cake!:)

Wildpurl your village rock festival sounds like fun for next wkend - great thing to look forward to!  Hope work is going well.  I to will be making the most of this 'up' week - have something planned for every day & may even have a take away one night just because i will enjoy it compared to last week!

Sounds like youre race for life was lovely too lovewine - of course you will do it next year - no doubt about it!  Yeah the fatigue is unbelievable the first few days - could quite easily hibernate!

So glad you are feeling good after youre 'down' weekend jos.  We all get these moments - not nice at all.  Hope tax going well so far.  Also interesting to hear what you have read with not much difference between lumpectomy & rads v's masectomy also.  Both you & lovewine have put my mind at rest more.

I was a bit grumpy this time too tlj63!  I kept thinking the s\e's where lasting forever but when i looked back in my notes from last tax it was the same timescale & the pains where only niggly not full on like last time!  My husband said im just getting impatient with myself coz so close now!

Totally relate & agree with your post louise 3721!!

Im not sure if the sweats are steroids,chemo,zoladex or a mixture of all nellie 2099!  But do wake up absolutely drenched at times - lovely!  I had emotional mood issues on fec more than tax.  Jekkle & hyde!!

Hope youre feeling ok now cassie86?  Hope youre appointment & bloods all good to go!  Mine where down to 96 last time & aneamic so praying they pick up for last round!

Hope you enjoy youre support centre tomorrow joan47.  There doesnt seem anything like that around here.  Just a little group a couple of girls have set up once a month which is nice.  

Haha youre can roulette sounds a laugh louise!!  We kind of had that tonight but with frozen meals - when i make a big bolognese etc i put the rest in individual tubs with labels on but with hubby helping out & me not on the ball....there are lots of tubs with no labels on!  But we didnt do to bad - ended up with a couple tubs of chilli & a bolognese de frosted!

Youre last one today rosie??!!:) 

Xxxx

joan47

Jos and Rosie, hope all goes well with the chemo. Tij, sorry you are feeling a bit anyhow. I think we are all getting fed up. When I saw the district nurse on Friday she said ' you don't seem to have your usual 'vim' . Precisely so. Usually when people ask how I am I tend to put a positive spin on it. I find it much harder to do that now. I hope the side effects are not too awful.

Cassie, hope the consultant manages to sort out the steroid issue. Presumably it is the increased dose that is doing it. Is your chemo tomorrow?

Nellie, wildpurl, glad you managed a reasonable nights sleep. It makes such a difference.

Lovewine, how great to see your chemo staff in the Race for life and what a lovely dedication. And your family too. So supportive.

Spent a lovely afternoon with the grandchildren and my daughter painted my nails since I had to miss my salon appt because of the unanticipated trip to the hospital on Saturday. Had MRI this morning. Much less comfortable and claustrophobic than last time, a newer machine with a hole for your head, like a massage table. I was told that the results would be sent to the oncologist today so should know the score when I see him on Tbursday. The appointment was in a posh new hospital building which is uncannily like an airport terminal. There are patient check in screens, then you are directed to a particular gate and have to watch for your name to come up on a screen. Costa coffee bars, with the usual enormous queue. All very familiar. Unfortunately no duty free.

In terms of side effects have numb fingers and soles of feet and foul taste in mouth but sense of taste seems to be returning. Hooray. Off to my half day at the cancer support centre tomorrow so hopefully will be able to enjoy their lovely salads and not have to sneak off for a surreptitious bar of less than 70 per cent cocoa chocolate.
Cassie86

Just a quick posting as I am about to go off the hospital for bloods and to see the consultant. The PICC line is a bit uncomfortable but not too bad I expect I will get used to it in the three weeks left. I was sick and felt very tired after taking the Dexamethasone tablets at * this morning not sure why, the 12 o'clock have stayed down so far. I will speak to the consultant about it later
Louise3721

Nellie like u I am at the mercy of my daughter 17 and son who has mental health issues of 19. They do forget how ill we have been and seem to think that cancer is something we can turn on and off. It is not unreasonable to expect some help. My kids have to make own sandwiches and clean own rooms albeit badly.They have done for the passed 2 years Once a week they have to make their own tea.This is what I had to do when I was their age. To get your own back ay can roulette you really have not lived till you see the face of a sulky 17 year old girl faced with a tea of dinner ham peaches and rice pudding Tee hee xx
Lovewine

Hi his, certainly sounds like mine!
jos

Oh and one more thing, I'm not sure if I'm getting hot flushes or not! 

Every now and then I seem to feel a bit warm for about a minute and then back to normal.  There's no sweating and I just carry on doing what I'm doing at the time.  Because this has coincided with warmer weather and because the temperature in my house is quite variable, i haven't thought too much of it.  At night, I often get too hot in the summer and kick the duvet off anyway only to grab it back later on.

Do these sound like everyone elses's hot flushes?!

x

jos

Good morning!

I'm up and ready to roll.  Even managed a cooked breakfast.  Round 5, here i come.  Feeling much more positive after a rather difficult weekend. 

Louise - food roulette making me laugh.  My daughter would love the idea of that.

On a couple of topics raised:

I haven't heard of anyone saying radio is worse than chemo and I'm holding on to that thought.  Tiredness and sore, red skin is all I've heard and after the numerous ups and downs of chemo, I'll take that.

As for lumpectomy vs mastectomy, i have read some interesting (and reputable) research to say that rates of recurrence are very similar for lumpectomy with radiotherapy and mastectomy which I found encouraging so I am very happy to go for the lump/rads route with the feeling that I am doing the right thing at this stage in my life.  Of course, everyone needs to feel happy with their own decision and everyone has different factors to consider.

Good luck with your days everyone, whatever you're doing and wherever you are.

x

Wildpurl

Morning everyone, I slept like a log and did not wake up till 7am, typical as it is a work day, but as I am at home I can work around it. As well as working I have a big list of chores to do today, and as it's a nice day I quite fancy a walk as well. Maybe I should take the day off LOL.

Good luck today jos and hope you continue to recover Tlj. Glad you had a good nights sleep Nellie.
Louise love the can roulette, hilarious, especially with teenagers!

Everyone else, hope you are well and enjoy your days. This middle week is the up week for me, feeling better and better, no more meds and no hospital appointments, so going to try and make the most of it.

Lovewine

Hi everyone, Nellie at least you had a reasonable sleep!! Yes emotional issues seem to be looming regularly now! For me it's coming up to the last chemo and everyone expecting me to be thrilled- but just feel flat.
Louise, I hate cooking cooking dinners so think I might steal your idea with canning!
Jos, hope chemo today is I eventful and side effects not too bad for you😄
Tij, you must be very proud of your son, he sounds very talented.
Jackie, Wildpurl, Joan, Eam, cassie,rolicarpit hope all is well.
Rosie, hope you had a lovely weekend and feel ready to face this week, will be thinking of you! Xx
nellie2099

Morning all,

Managed a reasonable 6 hours last night having finally remembered I had been prescribed sleeping pills so took one at midnight. EAM funny you should mention the steroid sweats I have found last few nights very damp indeed!  I’m still on edge looking out for the bone pains but only having a slight niggle now and then so far, I hope the gradual reduction in the steroids like Joan and Tlj have will help.

Seems a lot of us are having some emotional mood issues, it is good to know that a lot of them can be put down to the drugs and are not necessarily real.  (Yesterday’s most ridiculous ruminating was I have to give the dogs away as I could not cope with their training and exercise - same thoughts day 3 last time too!!)  Tlj I hope your mood lifts as you get nearer the end I agree it is hard to be massively positive yet when after all there is still one to go. 

I also find I am nagging my girls (14, and 16) in the hope of more help around the house after all I have cancer. Then I have a massive downer and think they should be allowed to still be children getting on with their own lives and letting their hair down occasionally, because I’m not really ill just being selfish. I wrote a list of helpful 5 minute jobs and stuck it on the fridge a week ago ……zero items ticked!  My biggest hang-up is meals so will definitely be threatening can roulette tonight if I don’t get any help preparing the Lasagne I have planned! What a fab idea Louise.

Jos a massive good luck today I hope it all goes smoothly so you can join the “one to go” club!!

Rosie I hope your break was enjoyable and you too have an uneventful chemo today.

Love

Nellie

Louise3721

Hi ladies and thanks to all for your reassurance re radiotherapy. I believe that the biggest help to fight this horrible disease other than the medical stuff is a positive mental attitude it really gets you down when you meet people who get some strange pleasure from passing on their horror story. Its like when u r pregnant and people regale you with their labour horror story. I too find it hard to concentrate and keep starting things that I don't finish.

Enjoy all the breaks you can doing lovely things with family and friends. Me and the moody teenagers are playing can roulette for tea tomorrow night. Get your canned food out take all labels off everyone chooses a can whatever the combo that's tea. We have had some true heinous meals but great fun x
Tlj63

Hi everyone. Hope you all had an ok weekend. Anyone in Yorkshire must be having an amazing but logistically challenging time.
I had my penultimate Tax on Tuesday. I thought I would feel very 'up' about being so near the end, but actually feeling rather grumpy for no particular reason other than I think I have just had enough of my life being on hold. I shouldn't complain because I have had my surgery, so I really am close to the end, other than a year of herceptin and many years of tamoxifen.
Feeling a bit guilty for nagging my 13 year old son all weekend, especially as he was the star of the show in the school play last week. I felt so proud of him, as all the parents kept telling me how great he was. Term is nearly over now, prize giving on Thursday, so we will see what that brings!
Ironically my side effects have not been too bad. The gradual reduction of the steroid dose over a few days seems to have helped. Just feeling tired, useless, funny mouth/sinuses and a bit achy. Hoping to pick up tomorrow.
Wishing you all well. Hope everyone has a good nights sleep now it is a little cooler and hoping all goes well for Rosie tomorrow.
jos

Re: PICC Line is in

Hello all

I hope you have had as good weekends as possible.

Cassie, I'm glad you got some sleep.  How's the PICC?  Good luck on Tuesday.

After a week or so of being reasonably energetic and on an emotional high, I completely crashed on Friday afternoon.  Felt very tired and very down so the weekend has been a bit of a struggle, mainly on an emotional level  I was a bit confused because i was feeling like I feel the week after chemo and yet I'm right at the end of the cycle.  Cumulative effect I suppose and maybe I overdid things a bit when I was feeling "up".

I have Tax tomorrow morning so have had a day of Dexamethasone but, silly me, i completely f.orgot to check how many I had left.  I seemed to recall having lots of packets but find I have now run out!  Apparently they can just give me some to take straight away when I turn up tomorrow so i'll go a bit early.

I hope all of you currently with SEs are seeing an improvement and good luck to all who are in  hospital this week.  I will be relieved when this one is over and then I'll be able to say only one more to go!

Sleep well everyone.

x

Lovewine

Had a lovely afternoon cheering on my lovely daughter in law, her mum and sisters running in my name- very touching, at the race for life. Also bumped into the entire female staff at chemo unit! My lovely nurse, oncologist and loads of other chemo nurses from unit! They were lovely and their dedications said " running for all our lovely patients" , I will dress up and do it too next year( hopefully!)
Eam, I love Devon, hopefully you will not be waiting too long and can enjoy the beach😃😀, glad you are not doing too badly, I find fatigue to be the worse, but once the injections finish I seem to pick up.
Hopefully all of us will have a restful night tonight!
Wildpurl

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it hard to concentrate and stick to things. Today I managed to get quite a lot done in the garden which has been waiting a fe weeks. It looks so much better, and I do feel pleased I've achieved something.
I'm not sure how easy I will find it to concentrate on work this week either, but it turns out I have agreed to go into the office two days this week rather than my normal one, so that might be a good thing!

And next weekend it is our village's rock festival, which is usually a pleasant day out listening to local bands and drinking beer, so I am looking forward to that too.

Hope you all had good weekends and are ready for whatever challenges you are facing next week.

I'm also thinking of Rosie. I hope she had a lovely break with her DH and I have everything crossed for her challenges next week.
EAM28

Sorry some  of you are having issues with sleep & steroids.  I dont find too bad,its the hot sweats that make me have broken sleep.  Do you all take your steroids by midday?

Yes nellie2099 the dr told me each rad session is 10min so leaves quite a lot of the day to do stuff but going by what jackie 09 has heard i could be spending most of my hol in the waiting room!  Thanks for the advice on rads polar1 - the dr told me the tiredness would build up & would prob need a month afterwards to recover.  Cant imagine its worse than the chemo at all like the lady said to you louise3721!  Most people say its the traveling day in day out that does you in.

Hope you had the energy to see youre granchildren this afternoon joan47 after a better night sleep?  Yes it will be a 100 mile round trip every day for 4 wks so thought we'd break it up a bit with hol nearby.  Shame we cant do that for the full 4 wks!

I have found it hard to stick to things & concentrate too wildpurl.  I have been sent some lovely letters of support but only just got around to replying - felt rude but explained people will just have to bare with me for a bit - sure they will understand!

Yes sorry lovewine!! Yes it is nice to have someone on the same timescale.  Sorry you have found it hard going:(  the worst part for me is the really sore,dry mouth & no taste - only just got back to normal today!  And had a few nosebleeds this time but hardly any pains.  Still prefer to fec!  Thank you yes she will be so excited!  We are staying in south devon.  Beach 5mins from park & lots of attractions around:)  Its reassuring to see what you put about the lumpectomy & mas - not much diff reoccurance wise.  Yes i really enjoyed the race for life - really good atmosphere!  Will defo do nxt yr & dress up!

Xxxx

Wildpurl

I recommend the Nippon ant control system, it is safe to use in the house with children or pets as it is enclosed. Takes up to two weeks but will almost certainly destroy the nest.