69237members
363533posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

I am certainly not leaving here until they have sorted me out Jackie!

Lovewine - sorry today wasn't the day we wanted for you - but that day will come soon. Hope all goes well this afternoon x
Rosie - great you had a good night's sleep. Not so great re expander - not the news you were wanting to hear. Once again, your resilience is called upon!! You have come such a long way ......... I hope you can draw on your positive attitude just a bit longer x x
I hope all you other lovelies can enjoy the "hottest day of the year" today
Rolicarpet - I didn't manage to do any form if formal exercise - but does driving to the shops count?

Change of plan I won't be going home today I have a hematoma which he has drawn some off but he is not happy with the left side anyway as he thinks the muscle may have pushed the expander into the wrong place so I may have to go back into surgery tomorrow morning to open up and re position it! I am not even thinking about getting on a plane at the moment!!!!!!!

Duress? Meant sure, !!

Well done Rosie on a good nights sleep!! Long may it continue! Thanks again ladies for your support, I do feel really fed up as thought this afternoon I would see the back of the chemo suite! Just off to work for a couple of hours , hope to take my mind off things a bit, not duress it will though today!
Lisa, hope to see you soon and enjoy your break!
Good luck everyone else either this weeks appointments x

Sorry I did not mean to miss anyone out thanks also to Nellie, Rolicarpit, EAM28 but the list is getting longer....

Hi All, I have not has too much time to post as I went into work for four hours yesterday but am off today I am expectig a delivery and have the gas inspection people coming, believe it or not I feel guilty for not being in work.

Its good to hear you all supporting each other.

Rosie good to hear you have at last had some rest, and yes I deffinatly would ask for a months supply of the sleeping tablet that they gave you so if you need then they are there, I know all sleeping tablets are addictive but used sensibly and when needed are life savers, you will be much stronger for at least 5 hours sleep at night.

Lovewine what a blow when you thought it was all over 😞

Thanks to Wildpurl, Jackie and Joan for all your support

Cassie x

Morning all, will post properly soon, just off to work....Lovewine so sorry to read your posts, hope you are OK, how very frustrated you must feel? It's horrible when plans change, thinking of you, just remember you have dealt with everything so far and know you will continue to do so - whatever gets thrown at you ! Hope it goes OK today .... Lisa

Yes Nellie it must have been a knock out one as I could still sleep. Hoping the breakfast will appear soon ! Have a good day!

Good news Rosie - some sleep! and in hospital too. Amazing. It must have done you the world of good - I am a believer in 'sleep is the best medicine'! I hope the sore eye settles down quickly now you are awake.
Nellie

Hi All,

No sign of an early post from you Rosie so I hope that means you have had a proper night’s sleep and nothing else.  I hope all your attachments are bearable - I do so hate cannulas.  I whacked mine badly (klutz!) after my op and caused a huge bleed under the skin and I now have a funny permanent lump in the vein called a knot (don’t know what it actually is) Not a problem except one less vein for the chemo.

Lovewine how disappointing and worrying for you to be given such news I agree I assumed the chemo would zap everything. I live in fear of my follow up appointment next week as I am not convinced everything is quite right under my arm either. Two more Tax sessions - I think I would pack my bags! Brave you.

Cassie what an incredible list of ops - you really have been through it recently.  I really hope your thyroid worries turn out to be minor it would be incredibly bad luck to have yet more procedures.

Wildpurl I am sure your bloods are ok - the machine had broken when I did mine last time and they said they would call with the results but didn’t.  I went to chemo as normal and nobody questioned anything so I assume they were ok!?   Good luck with the delightful steroids - wicked evil things but I guess they work!

Joan I am glad to hear you had a good birthday.  Drain cleaner down the PICC line sounds yucky!  I sympathise over the waiting, maddening to be told the consultant called when you know he quite definitely did not.  It is so frustrating - I hate it when we end up having to get husbands to help fight our corner; it’s quite a relief when they do but should not be necessary in the first place.

Jackie I hope the SEs are not too bad this time.  The taste thing is a real bind I ended up putting Worcester sauce on almost everything last time.  I was permanently hungry as I couldn’t face eating a lot of things but have more than made up for it since!  Dread to think how much weight I have put on!

Rolicarpit I hope the cat is OK!!  I took my two dogs for their final follow up yesterday and am glad to say all is well.  Mum has had 3 operations since Christmas so has been in the wars too, and pup has a skin allergy to something which I have struggled to keep under control.   He’s doing ok on half a piriton twice a day but not ideal as it must also make him sleepy. I have been told I can try him on clarytin so he can have the rest of my packet! Magic stuff obviously!  I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Think that’s everyone for now.

I have promised myself I will actually do some jobs today and not just sit about - so we’ll see!

Good luck for the day ahead everyone.

Nellie

Morning ladies well the sleeping pill worked very well best nights sleep I have had in months! DH left me about 10.45 and I woke first at 5.30 for toilet then
".obs team disturbeded me at 6.30! I could do with some of those sleeping pills!
I have very sore red eyes were the oxygen mask gripped my poor eyelid and underneath. The drains are still draining away and doing their stuff so Monday is going to be the earliest . We don't have district nurses here so we have to come over to Limassol on Monday to see surgeon he said he would try and see us a t midday I can't image going into the clinic with my two bags of drains not a good advert! Will let you know when I am home . DH thinks I should sleep in the single bed to allow the drains over each side but I have made them up for our son and his fiancé coming out following the wedding the surgeon said I would be ok in the bed as long as the drain is working
Properly it could sit next to me. Hope all,
You ladies having your last tax have a good session and those of you that area waiting for answers like Lovewine and Joan! Xxx

Thanks Rosie, sleep well!

Hope all goes well tomorrow Lovewine I am waiting for my sleeping pill the night staff will bring it!

Wildpurl how I hope you are right I feel like a tight elastic band is being pulled under my arms the bruising is coming out too! You will regain your stamina once you have finished the chemo! Good luck with the steroids I was up washing by 5am!

Thankyou Wildpurl for your comments and you too Rosie, Jackie and Joan, I must admit having to make my 7th chemo appt in 3 weeks and clutching my blood form was really depressing! And yes waiting another 8 days to see surgeon is awful, especially after their error in referring me, so pretty fed up, have Tax tomorrow so on the dreaded steroids! Wildpurl, hoping you are good to go now then for your last one, hope it goes well with limited side effects, you are probably best to have a quiet night at home rather than exercise after a working day, you will soon get back to previous fitness ime sure! I have noticed when I do my morning dog walk over the fields , I can now walk at a faster pace and a little further each week!
Rosie, hope you get a big more sleep tonight!

Happy birthday Joan! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. How annoying that it is so difficult to get hold of a consultant when you want one.

Lovewine, I don't know what to say, how very disappointing and upsetting. I do hope you get clear answers from the surgeon. My surgeon insisted on ultrasound scans before the operation so maybe yours will go ahead with the scan you should have had, and that will throw some light on the subject. But it seems a long time to wait before knowing what will happen next.

Rosie it sounds as though you are doing very well. I think you will be surprised at how quickly you heal and start feeling more normal, especially once you get home. I think you will be fine on the plane, and then you have more time to recover further before you have to fly back.

I have decided not to go to the gym tonight, I can cope with a day at work but then I want a restful evening at home at the moment, I can't face going out and exercising. Of course when things were normal I did go to the gym after work because otherwise I would hardly have been able to go! Hopefully after a few weeks I will regain some of my stamina and be able to get back to that routine.

No phone call so hopefully I am OK to go ahead. In any case I wasn't given any more appointments and no bloods form either.The hated steroids are in my handbag as I have to start taking them tomorrow.

Thanks Jackie he has good job too with me so unable to do much! X

Love wine - whst a confusing appointment and the last thing you want to hear re more tax when you are geared up for the finish line. The thing is, they won't know anything until they look at it - how do they know? so maybe the doc was erring on the side of caution? It all must be very frustrating and confusing
Joan - good to hear from you and you are right to chase up the report and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you are enjoying your day
Rosie - I'm hoping for some presents also when all this is done and dusted! A pair of shoes for me I'm planning on. I wish I had a trusty ingredient to chirp up my food - taste buds very poor at the moment and I'm craving a tasty meal. Hope your oh is continuing to heal well
X x

Joan, happy birthday🎂🍷enjoy your 2 days out and about before the next onslaught! Hope you get some answers finally, how stressful for both of us this last chemo push is, I feel like running away on holiday and not coming back right now!!

Hi ladies, yes am very disappointed, am not sure after a clear sentinel node biopsy before chemo how could cancer appear in my lymph node, what is the point of chemo side effects if it spreads anyway ? Onc said I am a bit of a mystery for this to happen, so yes the uncertainty is the worse thing, I think my surgery will be brought forward as soon as bloods improve after my tax tomorrow, but who knows!! Thought it was too good to be true to be the last one 😢 so Joan yes , devil and deep blue sea it is : mastectomy and nodes clearance / 2 extra taxes! Rosie, yes it really throws you when they move the goal posts as you know only too well yourself, hope you are continuing to improve and be nice for you to be home tomorrow!!
Wildpurl, good luck tomorrow !

Joan I can't begin to understand the awful journey you are experiencing and I can quite understand your husband causing a scene to find out the score mine certainly would!
Whoops about the icing sugar thank goodness the diabetic guest did pass on it ! Happy birthday hope you manage to enjoy it and you get some spoils. Sounds like the card was very well chosen, my DH went out shopping whilst I was in surgery and bought me some earrings and necklaces. I think it was after I said to him in the lift once we were in the hospital if anything happens to me in theatre the wedding must go ahead! I was aware of the risk I was putting myself through having two chemos close together followed by surgery. I had the awful chest pain on day 5 and 6 when we all thought we were having a heart attack!
I have my beloved marmite here and put it on my breakfast roll instead of their jam !!!! Sleeping tablet tonight definitely!

Oh Lovewine what a nightmare it's awful when the plan changes just when you think you are in control. Have you really got to wait until next Thursday to find out?thinking of you! X

Wildpurl and Lovewine. No, no answers yet, very frustrating. Yesterday had unanticipated visit to the hospital because the PICC line was blocked so the District Nurse couldn't do my bloods. fortunately all sorted with the equivalent of drain cleaner! Husband took the opportunity to try to find out what was happening about the report; he was told that a consultant had rung me on Friday. Well no, I sat by the phone all Friday and there was no call and no message. He has now gone on holiday. The other one was apparently around yesterday but no-one knew where he was or how to contact him! Today he is in another hospital so wouldn't be able to contact me! We have asked either that he ring, or email me, or we have an appointment on Friday when I am due last chemo. I think if nothing has happened by then my husband will be making a real fuss in the clinic.

Lovewine, just seen your post. How disappointing and frustrating. More TAX or mastectomy, devil and the deep blue sea.  And the uncertainty is probaby the worst thing of all, you just don't know what to prepare yourself for. 

Wildpurl, hope your bloods were OK and you get the go-ahead for Friday. At least you had the excuse of chemo brain when you made your banana cake. a while ago I made one of my most reliable puddings when some friends came to support (chocolate layer pudding  sponge with a layer of chocolate sauce underneath). It took far longer than usual to cook and didn't taste right although everyone bravely ate it, though no-one had seconds. I was mystified and thought it must be because I had moved it between ovens. it ws only when I went to make my Xmas puddings that I realised that I had mistakenly filled my SR flour canister with icing sugar! Fortunately the diabetic guest passed on it. 

I had a lovely weekend with the family but absolutely knackered on Monday. Really missing my i-pad, means I can't get on line to this forum unless I go and sit a the computer, which is one reason I haven't posted. Hope will get it fixed on friday. My birthday today. Got a funny card from husband with a picture of two nurses and a drip, and the text 'At her request the birthday girl was about to be hooked up to a drip full of Pinot Grigio' I wish. Off to reflexology this afternoon. .

Rosie, so pleased the op is over and amazed that you have felt well enough to get on line. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and that tomorrow you will be in your own bed. But at least you have been able to eat your beloved Marmite. I'm one of the can't stand it brigade while my husband loves it. 

Cassie, what a rough time you have had with all those ops. You must be something of an expert on hospitals now. I hope you don't need to have yet more surgery. I had wobbly legs all through FEC, it's been rather better with TAX. 

Nellie, I'm glad you managed to get some independent advice on the interval between chemo and radiotherapy; it helps to have a tame oncologist to consult. No wonder you felt so terrible after your first TAX, it obviously had a major effect. 

Well done those of you who have managed to go to work. And TiJ tennis? Amazing. 

Apologies to those I have missed. 

Out all day tomorrow  and Friday so hope I don't miss too much. 

Hi ladies, hope Wildpurl you don't get the dreaded phone call, I know exactly how you feel.
Well I gave had a confusing, depressing oncology appointment today, apparently my referral to consultant to investigate swollen lymph node never arrived, so oncologist very annoyed with secretaries about that, now as it stands I have to either have 2 extra Taxs after to tomorrow's what I hoped would be my final one! Or they may do surgery like Rosie fairly quickly, probably a mastectomy with full node clearance, I am quite deflated, but almost expected it really😒 so until I see surgeon next Thursday am not sure what's happening!

Wildpurl I am sure you won't get the phone call it will all go ahead and you will be done and dusted and you know the order of the side effects.

Hi everyone, I've had my bloods and pre chemo check, with the nurses this time as the onc didn't think I would need to see a doctor again. I was seen early! But as a result my bloods hadn't been processed so I'm "if you don't hear from us everything is OK" which I haven't had before, usually they tell me I'm good to go. The nurse did say she didn't think there would be a problem, so I'm trying not to fret, but I'll be glad when I get to tomorrow with no phone call.

I'm back at work now, have a Body Balance class booked this evening but not sure if I will go, it's quite a lot on top of a day at work.

I also asked the nurse when I could resume swimming after the chemo and she said 4 weeks, that's good enough for me!

Hope everyone is doing OK, Joan haven't heard from you recently so I hope you are doing well and your appointments are going OK

Hi Lisa I am glad it is all over feeling a bit worried about getting on flight though on 28th. I suppose the first week is the worst. It all feel as a bit strange at mo.
Enjoy your holiday it looks like the weather is set to be good this week so pack your sun cream!

Good morning all,

Rosie - lovely to see you back on here, glad the op is over and you sound like you are recovering well, apart from being all tangled up in drains, Canulas etc, you must be relieved that it's done?

Cassie, you sound like you have had a rocky time over the last year, let's hope this is the last of it !

Re exercise, I've been feeling guilty about not doing any and Nellie I know exactly what you mean about planning to do something then having a nap instead....that's exactly what I do, I've become very expert at doing exercise in my head lol. I am trying to do a bit more but still find my body tells me off by being very weary and pathetic after even the slightest bit.... Tlj63 I'm looking forward to getting back to tennis, I'm impressed you managed some hits and Jackie, I like the fact that you have been inspired into action but not quite sure what to do with it... Your comment made me smile

Lovewine, I'm really looking forward to going away. Have been trying to organise a few bits including taking the cat to the vets before we go, which I had an appointment for yesterday. Had been thinking all day...must take cat, must take cat....then somehow I fell asleep ( was probably thinking about exercising!) And woke up about 6.30 having completely missed the appointment ... Lol, just waiting for the vets to open so I can phone and apologise, going to blame the chemo. Hope your bloods are ok for tomorrow...... LAST ONE .... Hooray

Wishing everyone a good day, looks like a sunny one

Lisa

Lovewine all the best for the last!

Jackie I certainly shall ask for a sleeping tablet tonight! While the blood was going through the ops team were in every half hour!!
I know what you mean about school reports I always tried to personalise them to the pupil it takes longer to produce but is a more worthy task!

I am to go home tomorrow can't have drains out until Monday at earliest! But as Cassie said better safe than sorry Lovewine!

My goodness Cassie what a nightmare you will never want to go in a hospital again!

Morning everyone,

Nellie - you have summed my feelings up exactly re exercise! It's very reassuring when you have other professionals to ask - my oh is a tax consultant for doctors and has a few oncologists and surgeons on hand if needed. I love tomatoes - santarini being my favourite - I hope there are enough to rescue!
Tji - well done for tennis - you have shamed me into getting up off the sofa into action! Not sure what action - but I'll try to do something today!!!
Rosie - I think of hospital as an endurance test for us! They really don't let anything get in the way of giving us our treatment - sleep and comfort are secondary! I will always now, ask for a sleeping tablet (albeit a mild one) so at least can get 4 hours between temps and drip changes! What did the ops team say?
Cassie - I hope I don't sound patronising - as I know we all have no choice but so get on with it - but am in awe of your resilience after your experiences. I fervently hope that this experience will be the last of it's type!
EAM - hello! Missing a few days- or even a day! - really gives our chemo brains a work out doesn't it!

I watched one of my favourite films last night "50 first dates". I cry all of the way through, but still love it - apart from the use of marine animals - a part which I'd forgotten about, which did take the shine off a bit, I must admit. We also got my little boy's school report - something which always makes me reflect on what I actually write on my classes - what we write v what parents actually want to know!

Hi everyone cassie, you really have been through a lot- poor you, Nellie, an early start again for you this morning, we have been growing tomatoes too in our greenhouse, they taste lovely, enjoy yours too now they are nearly red!
Rosie, hope you are ok, tea with hot milk?! Doesn't seem like you are getting much sleep either with all your drains etc, hope today isn't too bad for you!
Rolicarpit, enjoy your trip to cornwall😀😀
Joan, have you got any answers yet, hope you are ok.
Everyone have a good day and good luck everyone who is having various procedures!

Morning Rosie,
I know the drains are a pain but believe me I wished that my surgeon had used them when I had my hernia repair, something simple ended up being a real pain.

Yes, Nellie I know its been a nightmare all perfectly healthy as far as I knew until a lesion appeared on my arm, which I promptly had removed with about two inches of my upper arm (Benign thank good) then approx a month later I had an emergency appendectomy, five months later I developed a huge hernia on the site which needed repair, which developed a seroma for 4 months (fun time with drains and CT guided aspirations) then April this year I had two hysteroscopys and biopsies 4 days before my breast lumpectomy (the first unsuccessful while I was awake they made 5 attempts at removing a polyp) I had to ask them to stop, then I was admitted the day before my lumpectomy as a day case to do it all again.

Glad you found out about the gap between chemo and rads Nellie sorry about your tomatoes.

Hi Nellie the blood finally went in by 11pm so they have moved the drip but the cannula they seem to keep in for antibiotics and any other little drama. I have just managed to give myself a flannel wash and put on one of my nighties so feeling a little more human. As I am in a private room at the end of the corridor I have to wait last for everything.
I wish you could bring me a cup of tea with cold milk too. X

Hi all,

Ooooh! Good news!  Dear Big Bro asked a Professor about the gap between Chemo and Radiotherapy.  Basically 12 weeks is the cut off and it does not matter when you start within that time.  The most important thing is to not have any days off. As the time my oncologist suggested included a bank holiday, and a day the hospital is closed due to the Nato summit I am better off delaying anyway. There is a God!!

Tlj - Tennis??!!! I feel really bad now - more effort on my part required to get out and about. I sit and think what I would like to do, then go for a nap instead!  I’m not sure if I am actually tired or if I pushed myself a bit I would manage to do more.  Half of me says I am perfectly normal and healthy, then the other half says I was filled full of poison last week so I’m not!

Cassie I am sorry you may have Thyroid issues to deal with in the future.  I believe drugs can modify a lot of thyroid function but even in a worst case scenario the operation although delicate is very superficial and recovery rapid so try not to worry too much.  You really have been in the wars to have 7 ops in 4 years - quite impressive!

Lovewine I hope bloods were OK? LAST ONE!  I wont miss the needles when its all over!

Anyway it is light enough now to go and water the garden.  I was upset to find a lot of my greenhouse tomatoes have blossom end rot due to erratic watering which I have had to pick off. There are still quite a lot left though and they are just starting to redden - yum!

Have a good day everyone,

Nellie

Morning Rosie - still posting in the wee small hours I see! - wish i could bring you a cup of tea with cold milk! 

I hope you can get out of bed if you need - is there a button for emergencies?

I can’t sleep on my back either so I know what you mean, I guess you can’t lie on all the drains and wound sites.  I hope you have managed some sleep though.  Did the blood go in ok over night?

How is DH managing with his wound?  He will have had to drive even if it’s very sore so I hope it has started to heal up quickly.

Bye for now

Nellie

Hi Eam I am glad it is over but didn't get much sleep last night find it hard to sleep on my back. I haven't had wash yet either I must ask for help today. Most of them speak good English but others don't understand everything you ask! The care has been very good by most of the nurses especially the male nurses they make a joke with you but I don't want to be washed by a male nurse!
Wildpurl I have 2 drains and I noticed the one on the right at the top where the tube comes from had seeped some blood so I did call press the bell at 5am when I noticed it and two nurses came to sort me out. She went and put the other side up on the bed so I am stranded now until the ops team come which should be any minute. I like to think I can take myself to the loo when needed.
Hope the rest of you ladies are doing well I know some have chemo this week so hope all goes well. Xxxxx

Evening ladies,just popping in to say a quick hello!  Have been trying to catch up - only one more page to go but tired now so will post properly tomorrow.

So glad the big op is over for you rosie & hope youre not feeling too groggy or tender.  Even though not been on - i was thinking about you on monday.

Hope all ok you lovely lot,catch up tomorrow.

Night xxx

If u havent got eyedrops already get from gp on prescrition for free or from oncolgist. Got sum great eyedrops from oncologist

Oh yes I hated my drains. Two came out after three days but the last one was in for 10 days. I was so happy when it was removed!

They are one of the worst things Lovewine!

Bet you won't be sorry to see them go Rosie!

5 days lovewine!

Hi Rosie, you sound like you are recovering well, better you are in hospital too as you are not tempted to do more than you should,although not sure you could at the moment with wobbly legs, how long will the drains be in ?
Nellie, how awful to have such an experience, hope you get some answers too regarding delay in radiotherapy and a much needed break away!
Tij , you do very well to play tennis at all, not sure I could do much running about at the moment! And sons are charming aren't they, mine is just the same with his comments!
Bloods done this morning, oncologist tomorrow and chemo Thursday, hope everyone else facing chemo this week gets on ok.
Rosie, how will you sleep attached to all those things! Good luck.

Had a blood test today and needed a unit of blood so I now need help again getting to toilet with 3 attachments! Just when
I was becoming a little independent. It an 8 hour one so it's going to be going through most of the night too. Better luck tomorrow hopefully. Mind you it's hardly surprising with last weeks chemo only 8 days away! It was always going to be a tall order.