1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Cassie86

Morning Ladies

I have not been able to post much recently because I am glad to say I have been feeling well enough to go to work, I apologise in advance if I miss our replying individually as this thread is so active.

Rosie what can I say lets hope this latest blood clot is the last of your setbacks and you can put it all behind you, I am pleased that your sleep has improved with the help of sleeping tablets. My sleep has also been better I was managing 4-5 hours a night with 1 tablet until last weekend when I had visitors, I forced myself to stay in bed because I did not want to disturb them, then hay presto I have been sleeping for 6-7 hours although still a bit disturbed, looking at the clock at regular intervals. but then going back to sleep again, its as though some wierd body clock has been switched.

Eam28 It's really nice to hear about your cake making and it brings back memories I have made flowers, teddy bears and football pitches and various other gateaux  over the years, it is really nice to absorb yourself in something artistic and tasty at the same time.

Unfortunately I cannot grow anything as I live in a flat with no garden, it would be lovely though, I have had a go in the past in my parents garden with tomatoes and strawberries in grow bags it worked well, I don't think the soil in the garden in London was much good its too clay based.

Keep cool ladies, it was 31 degrees in my living roon the night before last and 29 last night, it feels just right at the moment at 26.

rosie14

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

All change the surgeon came this morning and found another blood clot in left side. He proceeded to deal with it by opening some stitches squeezing out the blood clot and then re stitching and re bandaging all round the chest! I suppose it beats going to theatre again! He took out the right drain and said the left could come out tomorrow,who knows if I will get home tomorrow even!!!!!!
Lovewine

Morning ladies, a lot cooler here too, so a better nights sleep, nice to hear from you Joan, glad you have ipad fixed, would be lost without mine! Am sorry your results are not as you had hoped, I face a similar dilemma regarding surgery to you, it is so very disappointing to find out that tumour hasn't really shrunk, or as well in my case that I have a new lump in my previous clear nodes! Nothing now is straightforward it seems- one step forward and two back I think.
Rosie, hope the drains come out tomorrow, what a relief that will be! Fingers crossed too for good blood results, at least you are able to keep in touch by Skype with your children, hope D/h is coping well running the home and dog!
Wildpurl, hope you have limited side effects after a Tax, I have a small crop of ripe gooseberries ready, any good recipe tips for maybe a gooseberry fool or similar?
Eam, birthday cake sounds lovely, I'm sure it will be a great success!
Jackie, hope all is well with you, cassie, Nellie, tij, jos, Louise, Booksandwine , rolicarpit, hope you are having a lovely time and sampling the local crab sandwiches and cider etc!!xx
Wildpurl

Good morning everybody, I slept quite well, mainly because of cooler temperature overnight I think, finished my steroids yesterday thank goodness and not too red faced today. Now on domperidone till Monday and first GCSF today. So far taste seems to be remaining fairly normal and I've just had toast with a sample of my freshly made strawberry jam.

It's overcast here so should remain cooler, and I plan to get on with some more gardening this morning. This afternoon DS and his GF are coming over on a delayed visit from last week when she was unwell and I decided not to take any risk to my last chemo by letting DS visit, in case he was infectious, but they are both fine now. Another banana cake needs to be made! We bought slightly over ripe bananas specially for it this week. I will be double checking the flour I use this time though!

Some good news on the hair front, it has been gradually thickening and as long as it survives this last session, the thinnest side is now nearly as thick as the thicker side, plus it is looking a lot thicker on top. I am having it trimmed again on Wednesday and hopefully the wispy bits will be getting cut off and the new growth will be stronger so it might start to look more like a 58 year old woman's hair LOL.

Joan, glad you have your iPad back, good to hear from you. I also have a centre in the hospital where I can get treatments done free, I haven't had any yet but I am tempted, maybe I will book when I go for my haircut.
I'm sorry your MRI news was not as good as hoped but at least you have got a proper explanation now and there has been progress. I had to choose between lumpectomy and mastectomy but for different reasons. The tumour size and grade were suitable for lumpectomy and rads but left a long term risk of further primaries because of my BRCA2 status. So after much thought I decided to go for the mastectomy which very significantly reduces that risk.

EAM I am another who used to love making birthday cakes for my children, as my Mum did for us. My best ever cake when little was Cinderella in a ball gown, the skirt was the cake with white icing and silver baubles and the bodice and head/arms were made of crepe paper. There was also a silver slipper peeping out beneath the skirt. So children remember these special memories, as your son has Lovewine!

Rosie you seem to be doing well and I hope you have a good relaxing day today. Hope everyone else has a relaxing Sunday too
rosie14

I am still not reading or posting correctly so bear with me!
rosie14

How annoying I started typing and the iPad decided it would go to facebook! Joan glad you hac
Ve got your iPad back it has been a life line to me the children have skyped me each day.
Just had a wash and breakfast so feel much more human now and with the hospitals wonderful sleeping tablets I am ready to face the day! Hopefully home tomorrow! At least you have the report Joan. I would post on the surgery part of this site Joan because ladies will j
Have faced the same as you I am using the surgery site in addition to the chemo Apirl thread.
Regarding rads everyone it has gone down from 7 weeks to 6 weeks and now 5 daren't ask him again incase the weeks increase. Got to get an appointment when I come back from uk and then book in from there!
I think I had the last side effects of chemo yesterday the sore mouth didn't bring mouth wash with me but the least of my worries. Feeling more positive today and if those drains come out tomorrow I will be so happy. But as we know ladies we have to trust the medics! Have a good day everyone! Lovewine , Wildpurl , Joan , Jackie, Eam, jos, Lisa, Nellie, Cassie and I do hope I haven ' t forgotten anybody! Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
joan47

Love wine, sorry you are facing additional uncertainty. Not surprised you are feeling low especially just post steroids. Hope the Look good course on Tuesday does make you feel better. I can recommend reflexology, booked in for another session. We're lucky here there is a project funded by a national cancer charity offering 6 free sessions to women with breast cancer. And it's only 5 miles away. Brilliant. Wish I could take her home with me and have it every day. Re the steroid crash, since it looks as if you are having more chemo, would it be worth asking to come down from them slowly. I have 3 days on full dose then two on half.

EAM, wild purl, Rolicarpet, congratulations on having final chemo and Tij, good luck next week. Hope side effects minimal/short lasting. The tiredness has kicked in earlier with me this time, had planned quite a lot for days 2 and 3 but yesterday had to rest in between and had to go to bed early. So will have to pace myself. today. EAM hope the birthday cake/ party goes well.

Sorry for anyone I have missed. Enjoy the rest of your weekends and I for one hope it is not too hot next week- but fine for Rollicarpits hols.
joan47

Jos, so sorry to hear about the change of plan and the uncertainty you are facing while waiting fir the MRI, also that you had to face it on your own. Do you have a breast care nurse who could maybe go through it with you or give you an early low down on the MRI results. Three weeks seems far too long to wait.

Good you went to the doc and got the Oral thrush diagnosed. I had that with my first tax and am now given antibiotics each time by the hospital plus two mouthwashes. Hope it is now clearing.
joan47

Rosie, what a time you have had, you will be finding your way into the medical textbooks. Good job they found the. Clot so quickly,even at the cost of another op. Glad you are making progress and getting some precious sleep which is so difficult in hospital. Hope you get to go home soon and start making oreparations for your trip.
joan47

I-pad now functioning again so able to catch up more easily. Other good news is that no allergic reaction to (last) TAX this time . Only complication was that they put the rate up to the top notch the drip stopped working. It happened to several others that day and they wondered whether the excessive heat on t he ward was the problem. Eventually sorted out. I was very relieved to have taken a hand-held fan in.

The surgeon eventually left me a message on Thursday evening, a whole week after I had had the confusing MRI report and I went in to see him just before chemo. The news is not as good as I had hoped in that the overall size if the lumps remains the same although they have become less dense (described as patchy). So it will be up to the surgeon to decide on lumpectomy or mastectomy. Disappointing, and of course still uncertain but it makes sense and I now know I need to look into the pros and cons of each and what will be involved. The oncologist said my particular surgeon always tried to conserve as much of the breast as possible but I don't want to go for a cosmetic option at the price of safety. Has anyone else faced this dilemma.
rosie14

Jackie I agree with Joan I used to get DH to do mine every morning before breakfast they were out of the way then!
Eam good luck with the cake I used to love making the
The birthday cakes for my children when they were little!
Didn't sleep top bad 10 .30 till 6 with a few nurse visits but I got of fairly soon after they had been. Waiting for breakfast ans bath now . They took more blood this am for a test so hopefully will be alright!
Hope you all manage a good a Sunday!
joan47

Wild purl, oh how I recognise that one. My husband tells me off for being irritable!
joan47

Jackie, sorry you have had temp worries again. I think whatever time of the day you started your injections this time you need to stick to it this round because they need to be. C 24 hours apart. I do have mine in the morning because I have to take another injection then and want to get I t all over with early. Hope you have no further fears.
EAM28

I am making her a mr tumble one lovewine!  So far made little coloured moulds of cake to go into the middle of the actual cake that i will hopefully make tomorrow,then decorate in the eve -  fatigue permitting!  Auw catterpillar ones - they always look fun - im not surprised your 23 yr old wanted one!:) xxx

Lovewine

Hi everyone, Eam , a birthday cake, what kind are you making? My two boys used to like caterpillar cakes when little, although youngest was 23 a couple of weeks ago and still wanted one! Hope you have a lovely day with your little one and a successful cake! Sounds like you are doing well with your side effects is far, long may it continue!
Rosie, you sound like you are doing well, have a good sleep to tonight!
Wildpurl, yes I too like nigel slater , I have made his banana and choc cake again today and a great success, even for a non cake baker like me!
Jos, hope you managed to have a good day too? And everyone else!! Xx
EAM28

Good to hear from you rosie!  Even though you have been through such a lot it sounds like progress being able to be out of bed & go to the toilet etc.  Hope you have a good nights sleep & feel a lot brighter by monday.  Yes homemade ice lollies in the freezer - my daughter keeps wanting them for breakfast!  Perhaps i should put some of wildpurls garlic in them that would put her off!  Take care xxxx

EAM28

Evening all,

Jos i hope you managed to go to the cinema with your daughter & the street party despite your mouth feeling so uncomfortable!  There are lots of things to worry about through this whole journey - they do one thing to help but often seems to bring on other problems aswell! I had my lumpectomy & some lymph nodes out back in feb this year (had two ops to get enough clearance).  You will be very closely monitored for things like lyphoedema - i was measured before the op & have been to clinics since so they should keep a close eye on you & nip anything in the bud.  Both scars have healed very well - i only got a bit of fluid build up which was normal apparently & was drained every week.  You will get your head around it all.  Will help to discuss it with your partner,sister & professionals when you can to put your mind at ease im sure.

Lovewine im glad so far so good for you.  Like you say you know you will prob feel it tomorrow\mon so hopefully you have made the most of today.  Sounds like you had the energy to walk your dogs so thats good!  I got up at 7.30 & went back to bed at 11am for a few hours.  Popped out for a drive,fresh air & ice cream with hubby & little one just before the big rain drops set in!  And am knackered again now!  I can never get over how tired i feel!  Having a little lie down now so that when little one has gone to bed i will have the energy to make a start on her birthday cake - she is 2 on monday!:). Hope you have a nice eve & lets think to this time next week when we will prob enjoy a glass of wine & feel a little more fresh!

rosie14

Banana and coffee sounds wonderful Wildpurl! Food in hospital tastes ok but it is never hot!
Nellie I hope you have a great family lunch out tomorrow!
Eam I don't think liquidised sandwiches will be very nice!!! Ice lollies are quite good I expect your little girl would like them as well!
Jos I agree about friends saying well that's the worst part over and they have no idea of the remainder of the journey!
Hope your street party went well Jos and that you and your daughter enjoyed the cinema!
Lovewine I was going to go for flaps but have decided against it the surgeon has put in expanders and when he does reconstruction I will have implants a much easier operation second time round! Wildpurl glad your garlicky are useable I love garlic!
I am out sitting on the chair today and am allowed to go to bathroom myself but I have to be careful about taking any weight on my hands which is extremely awkward getting in and out of bed and I have to have help! I think I will get an early night tonight and have sleeping pill by 10 pm after all last night drama. They are very strong which is just as well as I am not a back sleeper and I have to at the moment! Hope you all have a good evening. Xxxx
Wildpurl

Thank you for your kind comments lovewine, light relief is exactly why I started posting about food and gardening, that and it is a major part of my life! As it turns out an interest shared by quite a few on the forum, so I've learned a lot and got some inspiration too. I love Nigel Slater's recipes and will try his banana and chocolate cake next time I fancy the combination.
Garlic is tricky as it is very dependant on weather conditions. This year's are very small because of the mild winter, they really need a cold spell and did not get one this year. They are still very useable though. Last year it was so wet that we lost all of one variety but another still did well. And before that we had fabulous crops for a few years. So it's a bit of a lottery. I like the flavour of home grown garlic though 🙂 so keep persisting.

Nellie I love the idea of blueberry ice cream, will have to try it.

Rosie if your surgeon thinks you will be OK to fly then I'm sure you will be. If you feel safer in hospital at the moment then that's the best place to be, you will soon recover and be ready to go home.
Lovewine

That's good news Rosie, focus on the wedding! You will heal pretty quickly now I hope, hope you gave no more setbacks!
Jos, just managed to dodge most of the rain and then a quick dash to the shops myself, very hot and sweaty tho now, regarding my surgery, because I may have to have node clearance after all, and am small busted, there apparently won't be much to pack up my hole from lumpectomy, my lump is right above my nipple too which makes it harder! So won't know really until see surgeon next Thursday, which like you say just adds to the stress and uncertainty, am on my grist day too post steroids, so like you find too my mood just dips very low until about Monday! Have look good course though on Tuesday so hoping my bag of goodies will cheer me up along either my newly dolled up face!!!
rosie14

Trie to post this am but fell asleep! Had to have a unit of blood last night when it finished at 2am they gave me sleeping tablet slept till 7.30 am after the 6am obs.now having another unit of blood as count is low not white blood cells was very dizzy yesterday and had to stay in bed! Am very tired so will catch up with post when I can. In here till Monday now which I don't mind given the dramas . The surgeon still thinks I will be able to fly on 28th xxxxxxxx
jos

Thanks Lovewine.  Yes, it's awful when things keep changing.  I find the uncertainty really hard in between appointments.  Today I feel a bit cross - I think they should have waited until the results were there before seeing me.  I did flag this up at the time as I was in the room when the onc made the appointment but she just said they'd take the chance and go ahead anyway.  Surely it would be easier all round if they had the full picture.  Will it definitely be a mastectomy for you?  What are their reasons?  (sorry if you've explained this already - i missed so many posts last week I couldn't catch up properly).  I was told that I may need a mastectomy in the future if this surgery doesn't work properly.  Now that I can think a bit more clearly I need to write a long list of questions for next time!

I hope you've dodged the rain.  I walked in to town and back to do all the things I couldn't do because of late running GP yesterday.  It might be raining but it's still very warm and muggy out there.  Arrived back home in a tired and sweaty heap but at least I've had an hour of walking before lunchtime!

x

Lovewine

Hi everyone, jos I totally relate to you regarding uncertainty, after my oncologist appts all seemed so positive earlier on, it now seems my once clear nodes are now not, so full node clearance and my lumpectomy is looking like a mastectomy!! I dread my appointments because each time everything changes and never seems to be for the better. I too am very small with hardly any spare fat to distribute, so apparently that's not helped for my mastectomy either! I am one of those people when stressed that just drops weight off, which isn't always that useful in this case! Am thinking of you and hope things turn out not to be as difficult as you fear, your sister will be a great help to you though, and enjoy today, sounds good fun!
Eam, my Tax effects are not too bad so far, I usually feel crap by Sunday/Monday, how have you found the last 2? , hope you have a lovely day with your little girl and O/h! it can be hard for them! I know my hubby gets a bit ratty too at times! not to mention how ratty I get!
Wildpurl, how nice to have home grown garlic, we tried one year to grow, but not at all successful, I am also addicted to banana bread after reading one of your recent cookery posts!! I use nigel slaters recipe for choc and banana one-,delicious!! I so enjoy reading your cookery / gardening posts and think you could have a second career in sharing your lovely recipes and growing fruit and vegetables, it makes a light relief from all the worry we all live with!
Nellie, your ice cream sounds lovely, yummy blueberries, sounds like you have been busy too! Have a lovely Sunday lunch tomorrow with your family! And thankyou for your kind words about my possible extra 2 Tax, I am sadly resigned to it now, which I think we all seem to do when faced with changes in treatment etc,enjoy your weekend!
Rosie, how are you feeling today? Am thinking of you , hope you are on the road to recovery.
Jackie, how are you feeling today? It must be difficult for you and Eam and jos who have younger children too to keep looking after, you keep doing what's right for you, hope your temperature has stabilised, I have stopped taking mine now- unless I feel off colour, I found the stress of worrying about it too much. Have a good day.
Enjoy the weekend too, cassie, Joan, Booksandwine, rolicarpit( pasties etc!!) tij, sorry if I miss any one off!
Am going to dodge the rain and walk my dogs- have had to drink 2,strong cups of coffee to get some energy!!
jos

Thanks EAM, Nellie and Wildpurl.

I have woken up still feeling upset about yesterday.  These past few weeks have seemed much harder trying to deal with all this, a small child and running a house etc.  I can't wait for my sister to arrive next Saturday.

I've been googling and thinking about the LICAP and am quite comfortable with it I think.  There will be a large scar running round to my back but it should be well concealed and it seems there will be minimal scarring on the actual breast which will hopefully retain a good shape.  I just hope she has enough "side fat" to work with!  I am more concerned about the node clearance.  The thought of lymphoedema has always been scary.  We all have to learn to live with the fear of cancer coming back and having to worry about lymphoedema too just seems too much.  When the onc said I would not necessarily need a clearance perhaps I got a bit too optimistic. 

I'm getting so many well meaning comments from friends about chemo nearly being over and "you'll be back to your old self in no time".  If only they realised that breast cancer doesn't just get "fixed" like that.  There is still surgery, rads, 5 years of Tamoxifen with the possibility of a whole load of new side effects, possible early menopause, threat of lymphoedema, fear of cancer returning.  I know they mean well but.....!!!!!

Anyway, whinge over for this morning.  I have to get myself together for my daughter coming back from her dad's later.  I think we'll have a quiet day and go to the cinema later on.  Tomorrow is our annual street party so fingers crossed for a bit of sunshine.

I hope you all have good weekends - sounds as if you will be busy.

x

EAM28

We must have been all typing at the same time wildpurl & nellie!  You both sound well though and you are both making me feel very hungry!  Hope you both enjoy all your plans for the weekend:) xxx

EAM28

Morning jos,what a horrible day for you - i really feel for you!  The thrush must feel awfull - the sore,dry,tasteless,food feeling like glass in your mouth is bad enough!  I hope after all that waiting the doc gave you some really good stuff & advice.  My friend used to be a dental nurse & suggested eating mousses last round which went down well so have got some in for this time.  I also made up a fruit smoothie too.  Was thinking id be liquidising my sandwiches next!

Iv not heard of that operation before jos.  How soon do they want to do that after chemo?  Its so hard to get your head around things when they have told you one thing at the start then change things!  A few ladies going through this sort of thing on here at the moment - almost better if they dont say too much in advance if theyre not completely sure!  I have found you do need to keep on top of them a bit - i have an on going note book as quite often go to appointments on my own - theres things in there like scans & genetic testing that they said they would do at the start & not heard them say since so i keep pestering them with my little book - bet they love me! Fingers crossed everything will be more clear for you soon & your s\e's start easing up,hugs to you.

Rosie with everything youve had back to back im not surprised you havnt been on.  Hope you are getting all the rest,good care & advice you deserve.Thinking of youX

Hope everyone else doing well & manage to have a fairly normal weekend xxxx

nellie2099

Hi All,

Sounds as if lots of you have had an eventful past few days and I have a lot to catch up on so here goes!

Rosie I am sorry to hear you had to go back to theatre (and woke up in there) but it sounds almost fortuitous you went as they found and cleared the blood clot which could have caused problems down the line. I hope you are recovering well.

Lovewine I hope you are bearing up after chemo and not too down over the prospect of having more. I think you are being incredibly brave about it all - well done you.

Congrats to all those who have had their last chemo - Joan, Eam, Booksandwine, Wildpurl,  let’s hope the side effects are less with the last one and you all sail through.  I agree EAM it is a shame we only find out how to deal with the side effects as we go along and by the time we get it sussed it’s too late!  

Jos I am sorry to hear about your low mood and tiredness and hope it has passed. Sometimes I think that is worse than pain and discomfort as it renders us so helpless, and is difficult for others to understand especially our nearest and dearest.  What a palaver over the pharmacies - well done you for having the energy to traipse around locating the drugs which I hope do their job quickly.  I know it was perhaps not what you were expecting but the LICAP procedure sounds positive (I just googled it as I didn’t know) as you will have a good cosmetic outcome. However it is unfortunate you have to have two ops - is one for the lump and the other for the nodes? I am sure your sister will understand and spoil you rotten during your recovery!

Jackie it is strange the chemo/injections seem to give you a temperature (as well as everything else!).  Here in wales I get one big injection of a slightly different drug exactly 24 hours after chemo but have also had slight temperature issues the first week.  Can we conclude therefore it’s the chemo causing it?  Don’t suppose we’ll ever know but I hope your OH manages to chill a little - I think it’s very hard for them sometimes but equally important you do what is right for you.

Rolicarpit - you’re off at last!  I hope you have a wonderful time Cornwall is such a lovely county.  Definitely a glass of wine and possibly some Cornish crab for me!  I have kept my holiday plans in the back of my mind as I didn’t want to tempt fate.  However it is looking increasingly likely that I may actually manage to get to our friends house in Devon for week 3 after my last tax.  It’s a big gathering of families so great fun for the girls and adults alike.

Well no gardening today as its chucking it down!  Wildpurl you made a good decision to harvest your lovely veg yesterday!  I finally got around to making blueberry icecream which has so far met with disappointment from my daughters as they say it tastes synthetic.  I’m not sure why but maybe it was because I used a metal sieve and not a plastic one as advised by Delia?  I hope some friends will pop in today on their way back from holiday for a chat which will make a nice change (maybe I can palm some icecream off on them!?)

We also have Sunday lunch out booked for tomorrow with the whole family including my sister in law from NZ who is staying with us for 3 weeks.  It was difficult to explain to her that this was the only Sunday I would be able to go out as I have chemo next week.  She arrived on my day 7 and so far has not really seen me do anything other than sleep a lot so I don’t think she understands how foul it can be.

I hope you all have a good day whatever life throws at you!  At least no appointments during the weekend!

Cheers all,

Nellie

Wildpurl

Morning ladies, well we have had rain and it is cooler, but it was quite warm overnight so I woke quite early and now have some coffee. Bright pink steroid cheeks again but only one more lot to go. Pilates this morning, then going to make jam with strawbs from the freezer as we need to clear some space for samosas. Banana cake later, OH and I are addicted to it now! In my first week I often need to eat something when I wake up and banana cake with coffee is just the thing.

Jos glad you got a diagnosis and meds for the thrush. I have prophylactic antibiotics on the Tax to take from day 5 for a week and that seems to have kept a lot at bay. Sorry to hear about the uncertainty over your surgery, I have not heard of LICAP so can't offer any experience but I'm sure someone on the board will be able to help. Re: node clearance, my surgeon said if the sentinel node was clear she would not take any others; there was a tiny amount in the sentinel node so they did a level 1 clearance, which was 14 more. If there had been more in the sentinel node or in the level 1 they would have taken full clearance. So it was based on what they found, maybe your surgeon will establish a firm plan once she has the MRI results?

It is very frustrating how long it seems to take to get the results of the scans and have them properly analysed.

Hope everyone else slept well and that you have good weekends. Joan, hope your chemo went well yesterday and you are doing OK. Rosie hope you are recovering from yesterday's surgery.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
jos

Evening everyone

Well that was a day and a half.  This morning sat in an already warm waiting room at GPs having hot flushes for an hour and a half.  Yes, I have oral thrush.  Also woke this morning with a cystitis-y feeling so have some antibiotics at hand.  I then had to trudge around in 30 degrees having more hot flushes trying to find a pharmacy that actually had all the meds on the list - had to go to three in the end.  I was exhausted when i got home.

My surgeon's appointment didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  Last i'd heard from my onc was that, yes, lumpectomy and partial node clearance.  However, surgeon has said she will do a LICAP procedure as the area she wants to take is quite large (in addition to the lump they found a few tiny patches further down).  This is when they take tissue from your side just round from your breast and pop it in.  Trouble is I'm quite slim so don't really have much to spare (I've kept to a "lean and healthy weight" as recommended and now it seems I don't have enough fat!)  She wants to do it in two ops, two weeks apart which was the first I'd heard of it.  I was disappointed as my sister (coming from NZ) has based her dates on one op only.  She then said node clearance was standard and that's what she would advise (contrary to what the head of oncology told me).  Most annoying of all was that she didn't even have the results of my MRI so there is still so much uncertainty and it looks like I shall be in limbo for the next three weeks.  She can't say anything for sure until she's seen if anything is left and where the markers are in relation to each other.  Sadly my partner couldn't make it at the last minute so I was on my own, got upset and now can't remember some of the details.  Has anyone here had or will anyone be having a LICAP?

EAM and Wildpurl - hurray for your last chemo!

Lisa - have a fab holiday in Cornwall.

Jackie - no, you are not being selfish - you have to do what is right for you.  I do my injections in the morning but I've luckily not had any side effects from them (unless I am mistaking them for chemo ones!). 

Rosie - oh gosh, waking up in the theatre!  Glad you have got it sorted though and out of the way.

Sleep well all and hope you have lovely weekends if you can.

x

Jackie09

Evening ladies,
Thank you for your words if support. When you're in the middle of this it's hard to decide whether you're being reasonable or not. Hope we all manage to get some well deserved sleep despite the warm weather
Love to all x x
EAM28

What a productive afternoon wildpurl!  Am hoping to get more green fingered but havnt got a clue! My sister said she will help me get some things established in our garden which will be nice.  I managed to get out this afternoon after the nurse had been for injection & take my little girl to the park.  Then cooked chicken & pineapple with new pots,rocket & watercress - didnt taste that great so maybe mouth is going already?! Shame as was hoping to fit a takeaway in before the s\e's kick in too! Xxx

Wildpurl

This afternoon I managed to get all our garlic processed and stored ready for use while OH dug up the remaining first early potatoes and dried them in the sun and then stored them, and then we decided to have a takeaway, which was a lovely treat as we don't very often have them. I can still taste so was able to enjoy it. There should be more thunder and rain tonight and tomorrow and it should be cooler so easier to sleep again.
EAM28

Hello all,managed to keep going all day as normal - think the steroids definitely mask a lot!  Glad hubby has just come home now though - getting 10mins whilst he takes little one round the block.  Thank you for all your lovely last chemo posts:). Yes it feels great but not really sunk in yet - like a few of you have said - dont think it will feel like the last one untill all the s\e's are out of the way!  Had a couple glasses of bubbly last night though!

Yay rosie good to hear from you!  So good they caught that blood clot - could have been so serious later on down the line un noticed!  Sounds like you must have been near the top of the list like you hoped.  Hope they continue to look after you well in there & make the most of it wont you!xx

Wildpurl well done on your last one! I dont blame you getting emotional - you dont think this day is ever going to come do you?!  Good luck for the next few days ahead.

Joan47 hope yours has gone well too? And you managed to get sense of your results at long last?! I had reflexology the other day too - lovely isnt it & very interesting!  Thinking of looking up a course to do in it myself.

How are you doing lovewine? I know you struggle on tax:). Thinking of you x. 

Dont you go thinking like that jackie! Of course not - like others have said - you have to do what feels right for you & when you have found ways around things that make you feel slightly better or in control its best to stick that way!  My hubbys got a bit ratty at times - he still needs to get enough sleep to be able to go to work & run his business but not easy with life at home so un stable for the last 6 plus months.  Agree with wildpurl & it must be so hard to know how to deal with us at times!

Have a great holiday rolicarpit! Sounds brilliant! Im counting down the weeks to mine now!  And nice to hear about fewer s\e's for last one - we shall see!

So sorry to hear you felt so low again jos:(.  It really does make you feel awfull & lost doesnt it?!  Hope the doc has helped with youre mouth?  I have been using difflam mouthvwash & just discovered 'gelclair' - its a really think gel to coat your mouth for a minute.  I got a small free sample from their sight so showed chemo unit & doc & got a prescription for it.  So can use it in abundance this time & see if it will work!  Its a shame you dont always know about these things untill it is too late!

Hope everyone else is doing well xxx

Lovewine

Well done Wildpurl on last one!! What a relief, hope side effects are minimul and no more steroids in 3 weeks!
Rosie, hope you have a good recovery, when do you think you will be home?
rosie14

Yes Jackie I was aware of the tube down my throat! Tried to get out of bed with DH help and nearly passed out!
rosie14

Wildpurl so glad it is over for you! The pressure is enormous that we are all under!
Jackie09

Rosie - I'm very pleased you are out and awake - although waking up in theatre would have been very strange. Your surgeon seems very good picking that up so quickly. Here's to a restful recovery.
Wildpurl - so pleased your last one went without a hitch. I think you're right, we don't know how stressed we have been until that stress is taken away.
Wildpurl

Oh Rosie that's great that they sorted that out and that you are back now.
I am home after my last chemo and I have to say I was in tears just from the relief that it was all over and that there were no problems. I know I have all the meds and the SEs to get through but I think knowing it is for the last time makes it easier. I just hadn't realised how much anxiety I was feeling and I feel this huge release of tension.
I am wishing the same for all of you who haven't completed yet.
rosie14

I'll catch up later with your threads when I am more awake. Just to let you all know I was in surgery for nearly 2 hours I woke up at the end in there! Anyway it was a big blood clot behind the expander . It been sorted x
Lovewine

Jackie, you have to do what's right for you!! It's certainly not selfish at all, we are all different! I have my injections done by O/h before he leaves for work early morning, but the night before I take 2 hourly staggered doses of paracetamol and ibuprofen, this is quite effective at reducing aches and pains and also clarityn too helps. Hope you are ok today and get a decent weekend.
Lisa, Cornwall here you come, hope you avoid the thunderstorms and get some decent weather!! And yes please have one of everything for me : especially a cream tea , pastie and massive glass of wine !! Enjoy x
Wildpurl, hope you have a drama free last one today, well done, onwards and upwards now! And yes I slept better after the storm last night, but it's warming up again now, no alcohol for me either for a few days!
Eam, so pleased for you that yours has also come to an end, another stage completed too, the end is in sight now😀 hope rads can go smoothly especially whilst you are on holiday.
Rosie, hope everything is going well for you and you can return home soon, all the very best for healing quickly now.
Hope yours goes well Joan today and tij all systems go too next week for you too.jos, I know what you mean about the steroid crash, I had the same last time, I was more angry than anything and wanted to rip everyone's head off and then cry! It's really not nice especially as you know why you are doing it but still can't stop it!
Good luck Nellie, cassie, Booksandwine and sorry if missed anyone else in our fabulous group, have a good day😃😃
Wildpurl

When I arrived the lady on reception looked through the lists for all four rooms and couldn't find me! I nearly had kittens! But then she looked again and I was second on the list. Phew!
Wildpurl

Jackie you are absolutely not being selfish! It is difficult I think for our partners to understand what we are dealing with and experiencing. My OH keeps making suggestions based on logic and I feel like screaming at him sometimes because it is not about logic and efficiency it is about how I feel and how I get through this!

You do what you need to do to get through
Jackie09

Rosie - hope today will be your last surgery and as Wildpurl says, a short one. Will be thinking if you xx
EAM - congratulations for getting to the chemo finish line! I hope the SEs are minimal
Jos - I've read a bit about the dairy thing too. Some reports say it's about cutting back on the full fat stuff, as docs say if cut out, we would miss out on the benefits they contain. It's all rather confusing not have a definitive answer, but I guess that's probably because their isn't one. None-the-less, because my lump is ER+ I've tried to cut back and use low fat versions - organic where possible. My taste is also worse this time around - I'm constantly sucking on mints to get some relief. happy birthday for last week. I'm glad you managed to get out and celebrate. I'm like that too - any excursion leaves me wiped out! But don't let that stop us enjoying the normal things

Wildpurl - hope all goes well today - another April lady crossing the chemo finish line! It seems so far away when this part of treatment begins and now look at us!
Rolicarpet - have a fabulous time in Cornwall. I'm so happy that you're going away on holiday - a good example to us all that life as we knew it is just around the corner. My in-laws live close to looe. Last time we were down we took a few days to drive around and discovered the most beautiful views and little hamlets.

I had de-ja-vu last night! Temp had been okay on the gcsf injections so far, but it started to creep up again last night and got to the magic 37.5. I did feel a but shivery and the bone ache had come on but I sat it out and during the night it came back down. It was at the exact same point in the last cycle that happened and I went to hospital - must be something about day 8. Anyway, I feel fine in myself - just tired- but think that has become the new norm - and will keep a check on it today. I'm not sure if it's the build up of all of this, but my husband began to get cross with me last night - he was trying to say that it was my fault that my temp had gone up because I'm resting a lot. I know he wants me to have the injections earlier in the day and I think his logic is if my temp goes up, it will be earlier and no midnight dashes to the hospital. I wanted them later, so any SEs would be evening time, so I could just try to sleep them off. Am I being selfish?
rolicarpit

Morning all

Well, glad to report that I have slept pretty well the last few nights, in spite of the hot flushes, maybe I'm getting used to them.

Jos - good to hear from you, I had a bad mouth after every chemo apart from the last. As well as the mouthwashes, I was prescribed nystatin from the GP which although it tastes disgusting worked well and on the last cycle I had tablets called flucanozole from the Onc - both were for oral thrush. The Nystatin is a dropper of liquid you put on your tongue and flucanozole a course of tablets which I was told was to be used once I had the symptoms but I used it straight away and the symptoms never developed after the last chemo, might be useful info if you see the GP this morning. Hope you get some relief soon.

Rosie sorry you have to go back to theatre, hopefully not for long and they will sort it, hope you too start to feel like you are recovering soon, it will help to be back home when you are ready, it's always nicer than being in hospital.

Wildpurl - good luck today and hope it is the last one for you. EAM congratulations on getting through your last one too ... I had fewer SEs after my last one and hope the same happens for you both

Lovewine - regardless of whether this is your last or not, hope you are feeling OK today, again, we deal with what is thrown at us and like Rosie, you have dealt with a lot already, add this setback to the list of things you have conquered. You would think the nurses would know, when I was there for my last one they were telling me it was number 5 and Trying to give me steroids to take home for my next ... I declined politely but got them to double check a few times, they almost convinced me ! Yes we should definitely meet, by the time I come back you should be feeling OK, so we will get to Wistow for coffee and cake.

Nellie - hope your dogs are doing Ok, sounds a bit of a handful. I take the cat every month or so for a steroid injection, this is for skin allergies and seems to keep them under control better than anything else we have tried.

Jackie, I reckon driving to the shops definitely counts as exercise, think of all that movement you have to do with your hands feet and eyes. Tlj63 I'm still impressed even though the tennis wiped you out, hope you will find that it's a bit easier next time, sounds like your boys had a good time during your sofa time though! I'm hoping to be able to get a bit of fitness back whilst away with some walking etc, although I do find that a bit dull and would rather be playing a sport but I'm sure I'll get there.

Cassie sounds like you have been busy at work and even getting into work is an achievement so don't feel too guilty about yesterday

Right ... I'm off to pack my bags and head off to Cornwall ... I'll have a cream tea / ice cream or glass of wine for you all, you can choose !

Hope everyone has a good day

Lisa

Wildpurl

Bright red steroid face this am, we had a massive storm in the night right overhead, huge flashes followed immediately by loud bangs, accompanied by torrential rain. Once it stopped everything cooled down and I was able to sleep quite well.
Rosie hope all goes well and quickly today, I'm sure it will.
Jos, sorry to hear about your taste, I hope you can get some relief for it. I have had loss of taste each time, which starts to clear by day 7 so when I eat things taste more or less OK and is normal probably by day 14, but I do have a bad aftertaste in my mouth which again gradually improves over the same period. I find at first I can only really taste sweet things, then savoury start to come back and at that point sweet things taste sickly and food tastes weird, then it seems to sort itself out. For me it is definitely not thrush, but you might have something a bit different, so I hope it begins to improve, it's the bit I hate most.

EAM well done on last chemo, it will take a while to sink in I expect, maybe not even till after SEs are finished.

Right better go and get dressed and ready, good luck today Joan and hope SEs manageable Lovewine, EAM and Tlj.

Everyone else I hope your days go well. Supposed to be hot here, OH said I will be glad of the cold cap LOL, he is so sympathetic!
rosie14

Jos I was given a mouth wash from hospital that worked well hope you get it sorted!i wasn't thrilled yesterday when I found I have to back to theatre but the expander in not in the right place hope fully it will be a short procedure !
Eam glad your final chemo is finished hope the side effects won't be too bad ,thank you for your good wishes!x
Let's hope Wildpurl I have to go without breakfast this am do hope I will be first on the list and not kept waiting thirst already!!!!! Xxx hope the rest of you all have manageable days and for those having chemo it goes well . Will get back to you all later today I hope and let you know how it went,xxxxxxx
Wildpurl

Thank you for your good wishes Lovewine, chemo tomorrow, all steroided up now. I still can't believe it is the last one, just keeping on going for now and pretending to myself it is just another day. I'm still hoping yours will be your last. In any case hoping your SEs are easy.

Rosie I think your procedure will be half an hour if that and you will get back to recovery again very quickly. Glad to hear you are healing well at the moment.

Have a fab holiday rolicarpit!

Joan hope you are doing well and all set for tomorrow. Tlj glad you are good to go for next week. Jackie, Nellie and cassie you all seem to be getting there, hope tomorrow isn't too hot for everyone, we are forecast 30°C, but have watered tonight and there is also rain forecast overnight. I am planning to get all my washing done and out to dry tomorrow as it should dry quickly. I will have iced water on the patio in the evening to cool down! Sadly no alcohol for the next few days.

Hope you all sleep as well as possible
EAM28

Evening all,sorry not got the concentration to reply individually.  Had last chemo today!  Hasnt really sunk in yet.  Will await date of ct scan & hickman removal in next few weeks.

Sorry to hear about all the confusion with you lovewine - how disapointing!  Hopefully they will tell you soon what road they will take but like joan says - niether is much to look foreward to!  Thinking of you hun xx

Oh rosie more for your poor body to go through:(.  At least you havnt been sent home for possible problems to occur.  Hopefully this time tomorrow you will be on the road to recovery.  Sending strength to you - you have been through so much. Xx

Good luck to all the rest of you lovely ladies - chemos tomorrow etc.

Hoping to watch master chef now without nodding off!

Xxx

jos

Hello All

Sorry not to have posted for so long - it's been a very up and down week. 

I'm on day 11 of Tax 2.  As I've mentioned before, the only consistent thing I've had with every cycle is a very low mood after coming off the Dex steroid.  Last week I had the worst emotional crash yet.  I was very down and teary all day and could barely string two sentences together.  Telling myself it is only a side effect (I am usually very upbeat and positive) made no difference and it was all a bit scary really.  Fortunately it was a short sharp shock as it didn't last as long as usual so by Friday I was feeling better.  Then at the weekend an incredible tiredness and lethargy struck - more so than I've felt before through all this.  I just stayed on the bed all day Saturday watching back to back episodes of Breaking Bad.  At least the aches and pains were better this time but I have had trouble with my mouth.  It usually goes a bit dry but this time I have a really horrible taste and all food and drink is just digusting.  The chemo unit gave me some mouthwash but I am going to the GP tomorrow morning to see if it's oral thrush or something as it's not going away.  It was my birthday on Tuesday and attempted the local "dessert parlour" with my daughter after school and then dinner out with my boyfriend and everything just tasted awful and I couldn't finish either. 

Other than that have been busy with end of term school stuff - sports day, fair etc and medical appointments.  Had an MRI on Tuesday and have my first surgeon's appointment tomorrow which I'm getting a bit nervous about.

I've had so many pages of posts to catch up on that I don't think I can reply to all individually (falling asleep here already!) but...

Rosie - I've read all your posts about your surgery.  So sorry that you have more to contend with tomorrow and wishing you all the very best.  It must just seem neverending for you.

Lovewine - how disappointing and frustrating.  Thoughts with you.  I think that's exactly why I am nervous about my appointment tomorrow - finding out things aren't what I'm hoping for at this stage.

Joan - sorry to hear about the confusing report.  So frustrating for you and waiting for these things is always stressful and upsetting.

Cassie - so many ops, my goodness you have been through the mill.

Tlj - well done on the tennis.  I play tennis too but have suspended my club membership and will have to wait to see what kind of op I'm getting and how quick the recovery is.  It's great to hear of someone who has got back on the court - very encouraging.

A bit of an old discussion, but re dairy - I read a lot about this when diagnosed and have substantially cut down.  I've got a reasonably healthy diet but I do eat a lot of vegetarian food (I do also eat fish and chicken) and have gone pretty heavy on the dairy in the past.  I went quite hardline on it initially but have eased up a bit as I think it's more about an overall shift in habits rather than beating yourself up over individual indulgences.

Sorry not to reply individually to everyone else but hoping that you are all doing ok and wishing you lots of luck and positive vibes wherever you are with procedures/cycles.

x

Lovewine

Yes we just go with the flow! All the twists and turns we get given! Hope you get lots of rest tonight, be thinking of you tomorrow Rosie.
Joan, I think you have chemo tomorrow? Hope it goes smoothly and you have got some answers now.