73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

joan47

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Thanks for the recipe Cassie; it sounds delicious, just the thing for hot weather.
rosie14

Wildpurl, my daughter told me youngest son would have been gutted if we hadn't made it thank goodness we did! Today I am wearing my Nicola Jane soft bra with post op inserts it's a bit of a shock to have a shape again! It's more comfortable than crop top as it's not as tight. If I hadn't got stitches on the left live would be easier. I am just about to have a rest before we go to visit a friend with a broken leg!
Wildpurl you will,be tired the build up of chemo really knocks you for six take it easy!
rosie14

Re: Thanks for all your encouragement

Thanks Cassie !
Wildpurl

Morning all, Rosie you sound as though you are settling in and I had a tear in my eye about your flowers to superhero mum. Well deserved!

Glad you are enjoying your holiday Joan!

Thanks for the info about disposing of meds cassie, I will take them to my pharmacy. I did wonder who was responsible.

I guess different people react differently to being approached by someone they don't know and having their condition talked about. Some people may prefer not to discuss it while others would be pleased to have support. It hasn't happened to me yet so I don't know how I would react.

I am at work today, taking it easy though. Wasn't sure I would be up to it but feeling OK so far. Much less fit than previous cycles, only just made it up the stairs to the second floor!

Good days everyone
Cassie86

Hi Rosie, Just to say I did not mean any strong pain killers for DH but they really don't not work if not taken every 4 hours 4 times a day, alternating paracetamol for pain and ibuprofen for pain for anti-inflammatory (make sure something is eaten even just a biccy with tea) he does not want any tummy inflammation. it really will help with the discomfort.
Sit back and let all your lovely relations make a fuss of you both you deserve every minute of it.
rosie14

No not much sleep again Lovewine mainly because DH is having to sleep on his side so he is getting out more in the night. I will rest when I need to as I just wouldn't cope full on! We are not in Saltash we are in Roborough Plymouth towards Dartmoor. Hope you have a god day at work Lovewine! X
rosie14

Joan you did say I deserved a medal!
It is church wedding at 5 pm so got all day to get ready for it! Followed by evening buffet and disco at a venue in Plymouth. I don't think I will be boogieing somehow!!!!!
Glad you are enjoying a few days away Joan it sounds like you are enjoying some visits to,which will walk your food off ! Enjoy the rest of your stay! X
Lovewine

Cassie, your cooking sounds lovely, you had a very busy day! You must be relieved now.
Rosie, still not getting very much sleep! Try and rest if possible in day! How lovely to arrive at your family's doorstep- must have been a lovely moment. On our yearly trips down to fowey in Cornwall we stop for food at the travelodge at saltash- just on other side of tamar bridge, is that the one you are staying in?
Joan, enjoy your break- sounds lovely! I too experienced the rebuff of a lady obviously going through chemo a few weeks ago when I said a similar comment to her- she just ignored me!!
Off to work now, have a good day everyone.
Cassie86

Hi Joan, enjoy the summer house and potter. The mixed Turkish salad is quite simple but all needs to be finely chopped, about the amounts they can be amended to taste but these are mine, about a quarter of a red onion, three nice ripe red tomatoes or some plum toms or beef toms whatever you have, half a large cucumber, a handful of parsley and two of coriander, I chop mine in a pyrex jug with scissors, much easier than scrubbing a green chopping board, a good glug of olive oil and half a squeezed lemon salt and black pepper. So tasty and easy to digest and eat, it keeps well for three days in the fridge just make sure you sir well when mixing the ingredients so they all get a good covering of oil and lemon juice, enjoy.
rosie14

Ha ha you are right about men and pain and inconvenience Cassie! He did say he felt a bit of a fraud compared to what I have been through. But the pain killers make you feel a bit spaced out and he can't cope with that so I suggested he just takes paracetamol when he really needs it. We went to bed at 10 .45 and between us were up very 2 hours, I made tea at 4 and then 6 when we called it a day. Our future daughter in law gave us a small bottle of milk and extra tea bags as you only get enough for one cup left by Travelodge. Our eldest son and fiancée start their journey from France today and will tomorrow. Our daughter , her husband and the other 2 grandchildren will arrive tomorrow from Newcastle.
Glad you managed all your appointments
even though you had to mark time.
How busy you were preparing all those meals last night but very wise before day 5 sets in! Glad your chemo journey has come to an end and that your PIIC line has been removed. Have a good day !
joan47

Rosie, so,so pleased you made it and will have a few days to recover before the wedding. What a lovely surprise to find that bouquet when you arrived, there's the medal I said you deserved. Glad too that your husband managed the journey without mishap. Now that you know you are going to be there you can tell us a bit more about the wedding eg church or civil ceremony, venue etc.

Jos, what wonderful, wonderful, news about your lump. And you have finished chemo, got a date for surgery, got your PICC line out and all on top of a lovely holiday and having your sister with you. It's like having all your xmases come at once.

Cassie, glad last chemo went well in spite of having to hang around between appointments. Most impressed with all the cooking. What do you put in a mixed Turkish salad?

TiJ, good you have been able to offload some of your taxi duties. Glad you are feeling somewhat better, hope you're back to normal soon.

Nellie, thanks for the gen on vitamins. Hope the side effects are not too bad and short lived. I found with my last chemo that I didn't get the steroid induced burst of energy (comparatively) so felt tireder than before over the first two days.

Rollicarpits, glad you enjoyed your holiday and made the most of being able to eat nice food. We are having a few days in West Sussex, staying at a very nice small hotel where the food is superb. But also managing to top up when out. I fear the weight I lost while on FEC will soon be regained now that taste buds have recovered. Re other people responding to your bare head I was at a historical site yesterday where there was another woman with spiky hair and a PICC line. As we were going out of the room I said hello and that it looked like we we're snap but other than saying yes she didn't really respond. So I felt a bit rebuffed. Good look with the rads.

Lovewine and Jos, it looks as if we"re the only ones awaiting surgery, plus Rosie who just had it.

It looks to be another hot day out there. After breakfast I am planning to spend a couple of hours sitting on the summerhouse in the hotel garden with my feet up, then potter into Arundel for a look round and lunch, followed by a visit to a roman villa.

Have good days everyone.
Cassie86

Thanks for all your encouragement

Hello All,

So pleased, for you Rosie and DH have arrived in the UK and have started to meet up with the family, how lovely to be called a super hero Mum 🙂 I don't blame DH for being worried it is hard not to stretch your back to much and at the same time try not to be too tense, make sure the pain killers are still being taken by DH at reglar intervals, we all know what men are like they put on a brave face then, out of action. You must both try to relax as much as possible before the weding now, have a wonderful time both of you, you have had a long journey in more than one way!

My appointments on Mon all went well, but sods law I was seen early by the oncologist because three previous appointments had not turned up, which in turn meant I had two visits to the cafe one between the blood being taken in chemo dept and the oncology appointment then another one in Tottenham court Road to Nero's, because I was two and a half hours early for my radiography planning meeting, tatoo's and CT scan. I did wonder around for a while in the shops and bought a little presy for the chemo Nurse and another for one of my collegue who is leaving from my work place, a delightful girl who has been covering a lot of my work while I have been off. Unfortunately her work permit will run out, she will be going back to India and then on to Australia to work again, very exciting, she has not seen her family for four years, I am not sure I could manage that but she tells me she went to boarding school from a young age, so talks on the phone most days instead! I gave up wondering the shops after an hour or so because not only was I feeling quite tired but the heat was getting to me a bit, UCLH radiography said you do realise you arer an hour early, I acknowleged, yes, but I would wait patiently. All went well at the appointment and also the chemo appointment yesterday, last one and PICC line removed!! 🙂 Just waiting for the SE to kick in one last time. I went on a bit of an mad one last night after getting back from the chemo dept, cooking three meals simultaneously, Lamb stew, Cottage pie and Smoked Mackerel fish cakes with mixed turkish salad and asparagus, the first two were for the freezer in case I don't feel like cooking in a few days, I went to bed about 10.40 exhausted, but it looks like my daughter managed to fit all of the boxes of food in the freezer OK, I have been a bit obsessed with making sure we have everything in just in case, I am turning into my Mum, bless...

All ladies finishing treatment and not sure what to do.

With my GP practice managers hat on now, please take any unused medications to your local pharmacy it is there resposibility to dispose of them safely, gp surgeries do not have fthe facillties/collections for medications some pharmacies however do not take needles so best to take them back to the hospital who gave them to you for disposal.

Sorry once more not to name all ladies individually but the memory is still not great and it has taken me some time to catch up with reading the thread after a couple of days being busy.

X have a nice day ladies

rosie14

Lovewine and tlj yes wonderful ti have achieved goal went fir meal with son getting. mattied and his fiancee and 2 of thr grandchildren was a lovely moment arruving at their front door! Enjoyed. one glass of wine! x
Tlj63

Well done Rosie. Here's to a restful night's sleep, safe in the knowledge that you have achieved your goal. It must feel wonderful to be amongst your family after all your trials and tribulations. Your children and grandchildren must be delighted to see you and give you a big, but gentle hug!
I'm just beginning to feel less crap this afternoon. Still very tired when I exert myself. Had to sit down after I had picked a few runner beans! Hoping tomorrow I will pick up a bit more as I'm getting very bored and frustrated. Managed to offload the kids taxiing so far on my lovely friends, but hoping to do my bit tomorrow afternoon.
Lovewine

Aah Rosie, how lovely, and they are right you are a superhero after all you have been through!! Your family must be so delighted to have you and D/H there for such a special occasion, enjoy the week and make the most of it!
Jos, you are right to want to cut back on working, I am certainly going to cut back on my workload too, priorities certainly change after all we are going through.
Hope everyone is ok and doing well, cassie hope today went smoothly.
rosie14

Thanks jos it's quite an achievement! I think I will sleep better tonight.
I like your boyfriends advice do nothing and rest afterwards! Good idea to reduce your working hours Jos after being so ill it makes you realises you need time for you! X
rosie14

Yes Lovewine arrived Plymouth to find a huge bouquet of flowers addresses to our super hero mum! Very moving. The wedding is on Saturday so time for further rest and healing!x
jos

Hello all

Rosie - so glad to hear you made it!!!  You must be exhausted after all you've been through.  Enjoy!

Nellie - hope you've had a relaxing day of doing very little.  I've had a very quiet day.  Catching up on emails and admin but taking it slowly and not putting any pressure on myself.  I've done some pilates and meditation and will go for a walk this evening after dinner.  Trying to take my boyfriends advice of "do nothing and rest afterwards"!

Lovewine - we didn't actually have the time to look round Solva so not sure about the Window on Wales.  We could have done with a few more days there really but squeezing it in to school holiday dates, other holiday plans and picking up my sister so it was just a mini break.

Wildpurl - i hope you had a good day working from home.  One of my tasks this week is to send a proposed new working plan in to work.  Will take some juggling to fit in childcare and reduce my hours for a few months and still manage to get at least a day to myself to relax and catch up and concentrate on my health.

Cassie - i hope things have gone smoothly for you today.

I hope everyone else's day has gone well, whatever you are up to.

x

Lovewine

Yippee!! Great news Rosie! Have a fabulous visit, hope all goes well with you both, take care and enjoy your glass of wine tonight! 🍷🍸when is the wedding? And are you travelling on to Plymouth today? Xxx
rosie14

Will do Wildpurl!
rosie14

Lovewine we made it!!!!!
Hope your car makes it through the mot!
Housework always waits I am glad that DH and I won't be struggling with it this week . Hope you have. A good day! X
Wildpurl

Yay!!!!!
So pleased to hear you arrived safely and slept well Rosie. Have an absolutely fabulous time and also look after yourself and keep healing.
rosie14

Made it Wildpurl will be having a glass of wine tonight!!!holiday inn bed very comfortable. I slept for 2 hours peacefully and then another 2 hopefully will get more tonight! Good luck with your work and enjoy lunchtime walk. X
rosie14

Nellie we did it !!!!'
Do hope you get over your se quickly at least you know they will come but they go to. I have to say I managed better at airport than I did last time we flew at Easter after 2 chemo sessions. It really is very powerful stuff!
Hope you enjoy a restful day today. X
rosie14

Alice thank you for your message! Our youngest sons wedding was always my goal and although just days ago is seemed impossible we made it!!!!' It must be a great feeling to be signed off from treatment, take care!
rosie14

We made it we landed at 2.00am!!!!!! In bed by 3am slept for 2 hours very well got out to toilet then had another good 2 hours. Bed very comfortable and staff very helpful . We met a family from school at Paphos airport on the same flight as us they sorted our cases off the conveyer belt and then taxi sorted them.
The first 2 hours of flight was very good then it got a little bumpy which I don't like at the best of times . Never been so relieved in my life to land at Bristol. DH ok he is terrified of bursting his back open . He has just gone back on courtesy bus to Europe car as we asked 48 hours ago if they could update us to automatic , fingers crossed! Hope everyone is ok funny to thing I am physically nearer all of you ! Will have a look at posts now to see what you have all been up to 2. Will be on our way when DH gets back . Xxxxx
Lovewine

Morning all, just dropped my car off at garage for MOT so stuck at home , doing a bit of work and maybe light housework!
Rosie, hope you are ok and enjoy your visit with your old friend, how nice it will be to catch up with her.
Nellie, hope you can find good recipes for cucumber soup- maybe the River cottage recipes? Enjoy your day, I think my housework will wait and probably be on sofa too!
Cassie, fingers crossed for you today, hope all goes smoothly.
Jos, I know solva very well, particularly like the shop called "window on Wales" used to sell really nice things, I presume it must be still there.

Pp
Wildpurl

Morning everyone, I slept really well, hope you all did too! Rosie hope you are safely at the Holiday Inn Bristol and that your flight went smoothly. Good luck today cassie!

Hope you all have good days. I'm working from home again today and also hope to have a walk at lunchtime. It's going to be a bit hotter today but hopefully not too bad
nellie2099

Morning all,

Busy day for threads yesterday great to see lots of good news and happy holiday stories.

Rosie I am on the edge of my seat - DH stitches on the way to the airport - flight delays….. I pray you are alright.

Cassie A massive good luck for today - I hope the other appointments went ok yesterday. 

Wildpurl Your 80’s night made me smile. I love French onion soup but whenever I have tried to make it, it has ended up as onion gravy on bangers and mash!! (tasty but not quite right!)  Have a massive glut of cucumbers so looking for soup recipes that use more than half of one to try later in the week.   It’s funny so many of us are feeling a bit lost without the routine of chemo - I can’t get my head around being able to plan things in advance - exciting but scary!

Joan I too am considering vitamin tablets so asked oncology nurse last visit.  She said to give it a month for your liver to recover and the last of the chemo to completely go before starting.  Apparently some vitamins can bind to the chemo and stop it working, and your liver has to work very hard during treatment so needs to recover a bit.  I was going to look for something to support energy levels, hair and nails, immune system, and blood - might be quite a big tablet!!

I think your surgeon has given you the same follow up as me, which after much googling seems to comply with the NICE guidelines but I still intend to query it at some point.  Thanks for your helpful comments Alice - maybe we will hear more during and after radiotherapy.

TIj Thanks also for the sensible comments and reassurance about scans/follow ups.  I did read that most problems are picked up fairly quickly by the patients anyway so they are not really necessary. Just feels scary to be put back in charge of myself!  I would like an annual full body scan but don’t think that will happen!

Rolicarpet Sounds as if you have had a lovely holiday and all the best for the radiotherapy.  You really are starting the home run now I hope you don’t have too far to travel.  I definitely agree hair growing back over 6 months scarier than falling out in two days. I am not sure normally I would have the confidence to say something to a stranger in a pub - but possibly after attending some of the courses I may be a bit stronger.

Jos, What lovely news about your AC response and finishing chemo. Hurray!  Your holiday sounded super - one of my favourite parts of the world. I am glad the whole family enjoyed themselves and you have your sister arriving to look after you. I hope you can hang on to all the lovely memories and not get hit by the chemo grumps!

Nothing planned for today just sleep and sofa, that way if I manage to get anything done it will be a bonus!  SE’s seem to be kicking in earlier this time so maybe they will go quicker? Fingers crossed as I want to be able to taste my cucumber soup!

Good luck to everyone for today,

Cheers

Nellie

jos

Thanks Lovewine.  Not many of us left for the surgery then.  Still seems like a long way to go but so pleased to be putting the chemo behind me.  We were other side of St David's near to Solva.  Amazing weather - very lucky. 

x

jos

Thanks Wildpurl.  Yes, I feel I should be leaping around with the excitement of reaching this milestone but just feeling really tired and emotional.  Fingers crossed for a good sleep.  I had my next oncologist appointment through for mid November!!!  That felt very strange indeed.

Hope you're getting your restful evening with a nice plate of risotto.

x

rosie14

Cassie thank you! We are now in airport lounge and I am on I pad. I think you are right Cassie we do manage to try and carry on as best we can and not become depressed and full of self pity. Hope last chemo goes well and line removal. !
Wildpurl the last drug you must celebrate . I have decided that tomorrow night I am having a glass of wine. In airport lounge at mo and I am drinking tea and coffee don't want any problems on flight!
Joan have a wonderful holiday and thank you for your encouraging words. DH had 2 stitches put in his back. When I looked at holiday inn booking I had booked a twin bedded room never done that in my life how was I to know that we would both end up going with some stitches. He took all the ones on the right out but left most on the left. I also had to be aspirated on the left it was done using ultra sound! I was bricking it incase he advised me against travelling.
Joan it's a good idea to do lots of research re surgery choices I read lots of ladies experiences before electing for double mx. I had to have single.
Lovewine he has had his leaking mole hole stitched now so hope the skin stays together ! Hope you enjoyed your onion soup!
Hi Lisa glad you had a good break and have worked out of the chemo se well .Hope your radiotherapy went well !
I will let you all know tomorrow that we are safely in Bristol! Have a good evening all xx
rosie14

On mobile. so can't read threads will catch up with you hopefully tomorrow . at paphos airport we are rather early as came straight from Limassol as Dh had to have a couple of stitches in back great! Dh just told me flight dekayed until 11 pm i Wii l be so tired hopefully. will sleep. most of flight !
Lovewine

Jos, good news about your lump! I think there is myself, Joan and you of course with surgery still to come- not sure if there is any one else? Pembrokeshire is lovely, we used to stay near st David's in a village called trefin, loved it.
Lisa, sounds like you had a lovely time in Cornwall and Dorset, bet you feel better for a change of scene, how was radiotherapy? If you can manage Thursday this week that would be lovely to catch up? If it's more convenient to meet you in leicester after radiotherapy I can do that?
Wildpurl, yes I feel quite tired too now after a few hours working, not sure how I used to do it all!
Rosie, all the very best on your trip, hope to get updates when you can!
Wildpurl

Hello jos, so glad you had a lovely holiday, that you now have your sister staying with you and that the news from your MRI is so good! Well done on your last chemo. I'm with you on the feeling emotional and flat part, and some of us have been saying that although we don't want to have any more chemo in a way we feel lost without the routine of it. But knowing there will be no more side effects is a very good feeling!

I'm quite tired after my first day working at home so I stopped early and will have a restful evening. I have tomato and mozzarella risotto left over from yesterday so no cooking.
jos

Hello All

So much activity on this board since I went away!  Sorry not for replying to all individually but glad to see you all getting out and about, working, hosting parties and BBQs, going on trips and making the most of your days as much as possible under the circumstances.

Rosie - hoping your journey is going well.  So pleased to hear you have got through everything and will make the wedding.

Lovewine - delighted to hear it was a seroma that could be dealt with.

EAM - glad your daughter's party went well.

Cassie - hurray last chemo tomorrow.

Lisa - good luck with radiotherapy today.

Joan - I am one of the ones with surgery still to come.

So I had a lovely break in Pembrokeshire.  Warm and sunny, different beach each day, a lot of hammock time back at base and had loads of lovely food which I didn't have to cook myself.  The children had a brilliant time - my daughter 7 and OH's two boys, 6 and 4.  Collected my sister from the airport on the way home so at last I have help in the house and get to hang out and chat with my lovely sis for the next 7 weeks.

And as if that wasn't enough excitement, I'm just back from my last chemo!!!  And my PICC line is out!!!  For those of you concerned about PICC removal don't be.  The nurse asked me to cough twice and as I did she pulled.  It took about 10 seconds and didn't hurt one single bit.  I just looked down at the tray and thought, gosh has that really been in me for 3 1/2 months?!

To be honest I feel a bit strange now.  Obviously relieved and excited to get to this milestone but also a bit emotional and flat.  Very tired too.  But, onwards....  The usual side effects to come but great knowing that they will be the last lot.

Also to report my MRI scan reveals I have had an "almost complete response" to chemo.  The lump is a quarter of its original size (6x5x4mm), no sign showing up in lymph nodes any more and the few small additional patches in the breast have gone.  I have surgery in two ops - 26th August for the lumpectomy and 9th September for the LICAP part.

So all as good as can be expected at this stage I think.  My new "worry spot" is now lymphoedema.  Arrgghhh - it seems neverending!

Have a good day everyone.

x

Tlj63

Nellie, although I am not triple negative a understand where you are coming from re being 'institutionalised'. I had a chat with my oncologist and he said it was very normal to feel a bit abandoned when your course of treatment comes to an end. We all get used to the support network of the breast care nurse and the oncology nurses and suddenly they all seem to withdraw. He warned me about being over zealous with constant monitoring as emotionally it can take its toll. He said people can get very worked up every time they are due a follow up appointment which if it is say, every 3 months can get very emotionally draining and rarely changes the outcome. I think that is why generally, annual mammograms are the normal way to follow up and just keeping on top of your general health, ie. if you get extreme bone pain or a persistent cough go to your GP as opposed to just ignoring it. I know my MIL used to get very twitched whenever she was due a colonoscopy after having bowel cancer, that was over 14 years ago now. Constant monitoring seems to be a double edged sword, initially it is probably reassuring and then there comes a point where it stops you being able to emotionally move on.
alice45

Rosie, just dropping in from February to wish you well. I have been following your saga with amazement, sympathy and admiration! I hope all goes well and you have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Nellie, I am also triple negative and have just been signed off from treatment (op, chemo and rads). There is a system of follow-up at my hospital: I see the surgeon next month, and the breast care nurse in September (something called a Health and Wellbeing Clinic, run in conjunction with Macmillan - though if they ask me to meditate or talk about my 'journey' I will run a mile!). I already have a mammogram booked for late November (almost 12months to the day after the scan that started this whole thing off) and will see the oncologist the following week. After that I don't know who, if anyone, I see and when, but understand there will be a yearly mammogram for the next 5 years. Apart from that, I can't wait to get back to a normal life!

Best wishes, A

Wildpurl

Welcome back rolicarpit, your holiday sounds wonderful, I am really looking forward to mine in September! Joan, have a great time on your holiday too!

I've just read all my emails from work for the last 10 days and I'm exhausted! Taking a break...
rolicarpit

Good Morning all,

Such a lot of posts again and it's so nice to come back on here and see everyone doing so well and either having had or very close to last chemos. I'm now 4 weeks past my last one and am loving the fact that there are no nasties to contend with anymore, the best bit is my mouth feels normal ... Hooray !

I had a lovely break, just what was needed, fantastic weather, hotels and food, I made a real effort to eat any type of seafood going and managed a few pasties, cream teas and wines! It's also amazing how much a bit of exercise helps, I went away struggling to climb a set if stairs without being out breath but walking around the last week has really improved this, I don't feel like an old croc anymore.

Joan I saw your post about seeing another hairless woman and just to say when I was away, we were in a tiny local pub in Dorset and I was at the bar settling the bill and listening to a couple of guys playing their guitars when a woman came up to me and said that she and another woman who was also there had been through what it was clear I was going through (I don't wear any head covering so it's pretty obvious) we had a lovely chat and I was really lifted by their kind words and encouragement, makes think that if I saw someone I might do the same, although it wouldn't be my natural reaction but having been on the other side of it, I think I would try to say something.

Good luck Rosie for today, yet again you amaze me and I am wishing you all the best, you're right where there is a will there is a way and you will definitely find it, hope your flight goes well, I shall be thinking if you and am looking forward to hearing that you have made it to the UK safe and sound.

Lovewine, glad to hear your lymph node was a Seroma and nothing more sinister, must have been a relief, do you know yet if you have to have more chemo and when do you want to meet up? Glad you've managed to book a holiday.

Lots of chat on here about head coverings etc and hot weather, I wore a hat when it was sunny last week but other than that, nothing and had no problems with people or feeling self conscious, I have a slight covering if hair but it is very fine, thanks Wildpurl for the Trevor sorbie link that was most useful, think I am going to see my hairdresser and form a plan of action, I'm more worried about my hair coming back and looking ridiculous than I was about losing it !!

Tlj congratulations on getting to the chemo finishing line, I too have been purging my house of anything chemo related, unused tablets, mouthwashes, children's toothpaste, lemon squash which I can't stand now and other related paraphernalia ... It's great !

Cassie good luck for tomorrow, nearly there now

Well, I start radiotherapy today, Wildpurl I have also found the disappearance of the routines of chemo to leave me feeling a bit weird, can't really explain it as I clearly would not want to have anymore but the support disappears, although for me it's now going to be replaced by daily radiotherapy for 4 weeks so still some contact ... But what after that ... I feel a bit institutionalised !

Sorry if I've missed people, Books and wine hope you're OK, and that EAM, Louise and Nellie have a good day too along with everyone else. Have a good holiday Joan.

Lisa

Lovewine

Joan, have a lovely break, where are you going? Rosie, have a safe journey, hoping it's hassle free and you can get help with suitcases, certainly don't want any issues with D/H and his leaking mole hole! All the very best!!
Nellie, I had a cast iron fondue set in 80s like you got lost in house moves , I found an exact cast iron one at argos, but amazon I think do them too, I spotted in waitrose a fondue pack in the cheese aisle which is the block of cheese- it is a cheese called emmenttuelle/gruyere, it makes life easier to buy it in this pack, we then just bulk it up with normal cheddar, it's heated up in saucepan and then you light the tealight under fondue pot and it keeps the fondue warm and not stringy! You then use those long thin forks to stab your crusty bread in the lovely warm cheese!! ( these forks come in sets) yumyum. Sainsburys also do those packs .
Wildpurl, hope you manage some work and not tempted by your garden!
Cassie, all the best with last one tomorrow!!
I am off to work in a few minutes too, have a good day everyone, I have another 80s meal lined up tonight- home made French onion soup!! All I need now is my big eighties hair( any hair would do!) and big shoulder pads and would be right at home !
joan47

Rosie, I would hope there would be someone on the airport staff who could assist with getting cases onto the weighing machine or if not I'm sure another sturdy passenger will help. And at the other end, getting your cases off the carousel. Hope your husbands wound doesn't present too much of a problem while you areaway, you deserve a smooth ride at some stage after a distinctly bumpy one so far. I'm off on hol this morning so in case I can't catch up with your latest Bon voyage and Have a wonderful time at the wedding, you deserve a special toast for the Herculean efforts you have made to be there.

Nellie, as I understand it the Zarzio stimulates your bone marrow to produce white cells but because it is an artificial stimulant the immune system can be over efficient in reacting. I don't think it is a problem in itself but high white cell counts in a normal patient would be an indicator of infection so they can't rule out that that is happening. Hence the antibiotics.

Given the amount of antibiotics I have been given during chemo I am wondering whether once it is over I should take some vitamins. I have a vague memory that B6 is good. Anyone know about this. Also, I stopped taking multivitamins at the outset. Anyone know when it is Ok to retake?

Nellie, yes, I am reluctantly inclining to the idea of a mastectomy, in the event I am given a choice. So have started looking up stuff about surgery and reconstruction. So much to get my head, and my emotions, around. What have you been able to find out about triple negative? In terms of follow up I was dismayed to be told it would be an annual check, but I haven't enquired further. My appt with the surgeon is August 6. Unfortunately it now clashes with a funeral want to go to.. Am gg to try and see if I can change the time but unless they can offer me an earlier date really feel indeed to stick to the day to resolve the uncertainty.

Re medicines, I was wondering what to do about all the unused ones. Presumably your surgery only takes unopened packets or will they take anything.

TiJ, hope the side effects subside soon. As you say, it's a wonderful feeling to know that, as you start to climb out if the chemo hole you aren't going to be dropped back into it the next week.

For some ladies who had surgery before chemo, this bill end the second major stage of your treatment and you will presumably be going on to radiotherapy. I know some of us eg Rosie, Lovewine, started with chemo, can you remind me who else is in the same position.
Wildpurl

Good morning, nice to hear that many of you enjoyed your weekends. I've woken up to a lowering sky and thunderstorms with rain, it's actually rather nice as it is cool and fresh. I am back to working from home today, and will go into the office either Wednesday or Thursday depending on how I feel. I have Friday off and should be meeting a friend in London for the day, so a short week.

Rosie, I hope all goes well today, I am sure it will, your plan for getting your cases off the carousel sounds good! You are well prepared, that is the main thing.

Nellie and Lovewine, I realised yesterday that the chemo was a structured thing for me to go through, with challenges but with clear goals too. Of course I am glad it is over, but at the same time I feel a bit lost without that routine, and I'm not yet back to a work/life routine either.

Tlj, I also have a few packets of leftover drugs, mainly domperidone. I will have to check with my GP about disposal. I really empathise with enjoying throwing away the empty packets as the meds are used up! I just have one more antibiotic to take this evening and I'm done.

Cassie86

Hello Ladies,

Rosie good luck with the journey, you seem so have a never ending list of challenges, I am sure this one will be fine as DH to go and take a seat or nip off to the loo sh he won't be tempted to lift the cases. I will be willing you both on your way to the wedding.

It's really nice to hear about sleep overs and all the normal things in other peoples lives it is really admirable, I know that we have all been given no choice in having BC but it seems to me we are made of the right kind of stuff to deal with it and manage to do as much as we can in our day to day lives, enjoy what we can and have a good time.

I am in the process of getting ready for three appopntments today and 6th the last chemo and PICC line removal tomorrow. Have a good day ladies

rosie14

Good morning Nellie glad your BBQ went well. DH said I was rather subdued yesterday always in the back of my mind I am thinking what if surgeon says today I really mustn't fly it's just doubt? DH has been n
Having problems with his l
Mole wound and now has a leaking hole . We are trying to think of ways to avoid lifting cases. We have someone coming to get them downstairs and put them in car. Then the place where we leave our car are very good and will get them out of our car into theirs and then stick them on a trolley for us at airport. Worst problem will be getting them on scales at check in! I have a plan for baggage reclaim! When I see a case coming I will ask someone if they could please lift it on my trolley as I have had recent surgery! DH couldn't do this but I can!
We are taking 2 to spread the weight and only very small hand luggage that we can carry easily .
If only DH hadn't been restricted life would have been much easier.
Anyway where there is a will,there is a way!
nellie2099

Hi All

Joan sorry to hear your temperature rocketed again, I must be such a worry.  I don’t understand why the zarzio has caused abnormally high white cell count but sounds better than too low?  At least you know you have some cells in your blood!  I have found I have been quite breathless day 2 and wonder if that is due to low red cells or one of the other SEs…… not a problem though.  

I agree I have ditched all my scarves and head coverings in the heat for regular activities but did dig out a pretty one for going to the restaurants last week. Don’t know why but it felt the right thing to do?!

Must be a little alarming about your registrars passing comment - when will you have your formal discussion to find out for sure?  It must be difficult to decide between a lumpectomy and mastectomy if given a choice but I think I would select the latter in the hope of less recurrence chance.  As you may have picked up I am getting very fed up with the lack of knowledge here on triple negative and will be interested in what you get offered for your follow up plan at the end of your treatment.

Lovewine I am jealous you have invested in a fondue set!  It was one of those 80’s gadgets we had that got ditched in the house moves over the years. Wish I had hung on to it now but not sure eating loads of cheese will do the waste line much good! Do you have to use special cheese I can’t remember? Thought I might have a go in a little cast iron milk pan I have especially as I seem to be able to taste cheese!

Wildpurl thank you for the link to the hair website -very clear and useful advice on colouring and care of new growth. It said that radio therapy can further delay hair growth but did not elaborate if this was only if you were having it near your head eg for brain cancer.  Either way it does seem like it’s going to be a long process. I hope the living well course will give some hair styling tips as well as make up.

TIj. What a joy to be clearing out the medicines!  I have quite a pile set aside to return to the GPs on Tuesday. (they collect it for the third world I think) I hope your energy levels continue to improve and isn’t it great to know they won’t crash again in 3 weeks! Hurrah!  My dogs won’t know what’s hit them!

Rosie I have my fingers (and toes) crossed for you and your travelling. Well done for finding an old friend on Facebook - I’m not that up to speed on that sort of thing. It will be good to share experiences and gain confidence from another’s success as well as catch up on old times.

Our BBQ went well yesterday - just extended family so they all helped massively. I was rather tired and as my daughter said very grumpy!  OH commented I was ‘T & G’ but as he had been rebuilding a bit of the shed earlier my chemo brain decided he was suggesting I was ‘tongue and groove’!!  Snuffley daughter and sister packed off to visit best friends near London for two days. They were very excited to be going on their first big train trip on their own - I was somewhat relieved when the got there safely!!

Good luck today ladies whatever you are doing,

Nellie

rosie14

Hi Lovewine yes Bristol will be the place where I start to get excited hopefully I will be able to get on wifi at Holiday inn!
Through Facebook I have found a friend I lost contact with who had BC 2 years ago she lives in Taunton so we are stopping off on route tomorrow to see her, I taught 2 of her 3 children in fact her eldest was in the same class as our youngest so they grew up together can't wait to catch up with her .
I am so glad you have booked your trip to Norfolk before surgery it will do you both the world of good! X
rosie14

Thanks Tlj I can feel your good vibes coming this way in fact I went to bed at 10.15 exhausted and woke a few times but didn't get out until 5 am! I will let you all know as soon as I can that we have arrived. Hopefully there will be wifi in holiday Inn! As I have said before I really value the encouragement and support of this April thread and also lately the surgery thread!
I think you are very brave having 2 extra for a sleepover I remember when our s where younger a sleeper over usually meant not much sleep!
The symptoms will soon pass now of chemo. . In fact most people that have seen me say I look far better after surgery than I was looking as the chemo journey progressed. Have a good dayx
Louise3721

Hi EAM hopefully all this fecing chemotherapy will be worth it i am lucky that my cancer was confined to the breast so the masectomy and the radiotherapy should put paid to.this horrible disease.

I am now bald and proud i have given up with the scarves etc its too hot and I never have them on straight

Hope weather holds for your wedding Rose

Sounds like everyone is doing well
Lovewine

Rosie, yes we will all breathe a sigh of relief to know you are in Bristol at holiday inn!! I think we have all been willing you on all the way , you have done so well in such a short time too, will be thinking of you , I too can remember my 2 boys loving Thomas the tank engine, their bedrooms had quilts, lamps , curtains etc, I tried to knit a jumper too, but gave up and shoved it in a cupboard somewhere!!
Tij, must be so satisfying chucking away all those boxes, have a good week without wearing yourself out too much!
Wildpurl, hope you managed some knitting! I know what you mean having a project on the go, I find it hard just to watch t.v without doing something else at same time.
Am very much looking forward to my little trip to Norfolk, if things go to plan it will be 4 days before my surgery, so will be a nice distraction!