70402members
370344posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Lovewine

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

I enjoyed the vintage market very much, it was nice to spend time with my son who is 25 and got married last September, my lovely daughter in law has gone to London for a couple of days with her friend so he's at a loose end, they are off to Paris on Wednesday for a few days- lucky things!
Rosie,enjoy the carvery and some time with your dad tomorrow, it seems to have flown by this past week!
Tijj , hope you sort out the hair situation, wildpurls suggestion sounds a good idea, enjoy your supper!
Wildpurl, glad you are feeling better and managed some gardening, being outside I think makes you feel more uplifted.
Joan, your visit to Stratford sounds a nice distraction , it's a really nice place to visit I think, also I like leamington spa very much too.
Wildpurl

Well I have done some weeding! One small corner of my front garden that was left, now I'm out of breath and exhausted but I feel pleased I did it and the exercise will do me good. My cardio vascular fitness must be 0 on a scale of 1 to 10 since the last chemo but it has been slowly improving this last week. Maybe 0.5 now LOL
rosie14

Oh that's a relief Wilpurl as I know there must be a build up of fluid too as I she had it aspirated 4 times! Only 3 more tight days hopefully! Hope you manage to get in the garden!
Wildpurl

I think you are doing really well Rosie!
I'm sure it will be a relief to have the stitches out but on the positive side I think it is a good sign of healing that they are pulling.
We had some family breakfasts at the Premier Inn when I went up to Scotland for my MIL's funeral, their breakfasts are really good and it does make a nice family occasion!

Well, I am determined to do a bit of gardening today as I haven't managed any for the last two weeks, so I'd better get out there.
rosie14

Wildpurl,glad everything seems to be calming down!
I am quite tired today but that's ok I coped with the wedding fairly well!
rosie14

Tlj poor you with your spotty face hope it stops peeling soon! Don't let it spoil supper out at friends house!
Had a big family breakfast this am at the Premier Inn with mainly DH family and daughter, son in law and two grandchildren and eldest son and fiancée.
I am resting now as I was very tired following this others gone to park. Final Carvery booked with our three children and families tonight before we head to Ludlow to visit my 93 year old dad who wasn't fit enough to make wedding will show him some pictures. Then on to Manchester Tuesday for flight home. Wednesday afternoon to Limassol for stitches out thank goodness they are really pulling!
rosie14

Lovewine hope you enjoy the vintage market and it takes your mind off the forthcoming week. I had to have 8 chemos to shrink tumour to operable size. When everyone else seemed to be having 6. At the end of the day we can only put our trust in the medics that are saving our lives . But you should have been to
told what the plan is for you it's disgraceful the way you have been treated!
Lovely photographs daughter has already posted on Facebook!
Wildpurl

Morning all, well I was fine yesterday and overnight, I decided to take alka seltzer yesterday and last night to calm everything down, and will do so last thing at night for the next couple of days, plus I am being careful about what I eat, I am usually OK in week 3 so hoping that it will all settle down now.

I'm feeling happier after a good night's sleep, too!

Rosie, so glad the wedding went well and you have all those lovely memories now! I hope you aren't too tired after your long day.
Joan, glad you enjoyed your trip to the theatre and are feeling more positive.
Tlj, the dilemma you have with your hair is one I have faced. My Sorbie trained hairdresser cuts the comb overs a bit each time to tidy them up and gradually bring the long and new hair together in length. Some comb overs have been cut to a normal length now as the area is thick enough and others are still in place but have been trimmed. I prefer this to either cutting it all off or leaving it all in place, you could find a trained hairdresser who can do the same for you? Glad to hear your rash is getting a little better.

I hope everyone else who was feeling pants is starting to feel better and that you all have peaceful Sundays
Tlj63

Rosie, so glad you had a great day yesterday. That must have been a real panic with the zip. Are you going to have a relaxing day today or are there more family gatherings?
My spotty face is looking less angry this morning but it is doing what it did last cycle which is to get very dry and peel. It's quite sore and very itchy, particularly around my eyes. I have been putting Bio oil on it to try and stick my skin back on! Makes it feel better for a while. We are going to some friends for supper tonight so I hope it feels better by then.
My good news is that there is definite evidence of 'five o clock shadow' on my head. The question is, what shall I do with the remaining straggly Bobby Charlton combover? Should I get it shaved off and start again or wait till the new growth gets a bit longer?
Lovewine

What a lovely day Rosie! I think every wedding day has a minor hiccup with dresses/ rings etc, well done for lasting until 11.00p.m too!! Enjoy your time with your family today and like Joan says you have some lovely memories and some nice photos too?!
Eldest son is taking me to a vintage/ antiques market this morning so hoping to feel a little happier! Trying to put the uncertainty to back of mind today- can't bear the thought that maybe next weekend I could be lying on sofa after my 7th chemo feeling like s..t!!
Take care everyone.
rosie14

Lovewine it all went very well thank you and iam not surprised you are in the fed up corner you have very right to be there and I do hope it will all get sorted out for you this week! X
Joan I agree this forum is such a support because we understand each other only too well we know the ups and downs,
A good plan to keep busy when I lived in the midlands in my youth I went to several plays in Stratford my favourite was A
Christmas Carol. I uses to fine the Shakespere ones a bit heavy!
DH told mother in law and she said exactly what I knew she would say you should have told me earlier I would have come over!!!! She is 88!!!! she told me she knew someone that had what I had and needed 2 cushions to walk around with!!! Now how many years ago was that??? I told her I didn't need any cushions and she was surprised . We were lucky in the SW with the weather it was dry and sunny all day! DH family travelling from midlands hit the bad weather and traffic jams but they all got here just in time!
joan47

Rosie, so pleased everything went so well, even the weather. You will have some lovely memories. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
rosie14

Hi everyone well what a wonderful day it was! It had its moments when son in law suddenly arrived in our room with our daughters dress the zip had come off the runner! Eldest son and his fiancée both had a go as they were with me I had a go couldn't do it. Our daughter as due to go to brides house and travel with the bridesmaids. The brides mother eventually sorted it out. I thought she would have to be sew into it!
We were blessed with the weather dry all day! My hat blew off twice hoped wig wouldn't! The church service was lovely the bride looked stunning and I managed to stand around after for photographs of which r
There weren't too many thank goodness! The reception venue was perfect and every body had a happy time. I managed to stay until 11pm!!! I had a welcome drink and a glass of wine. Didn't want to over do it as still on pain killers. Youngest son and all family so glad I made it. My brother in law said I was an inspiration to the family! Battling chemo and recent surgery and being at the wedding. He bought me 2 cranberry juices! That's what I requested!
I am sorry that so many of you are feeling rough and out of sorts hold on in there all of you we have come this far we can get out of this place!!! X
joan47

Thank you all for your supportive responses to my moans and commiserations to those of you also in the grumpy corner, whether because of uncertainty, the trots, fatigue or being fed up with feeling ill and not able to do things. It is such a lifeline having this forum where you can be honest about your feelings.

I managed to escape the gloom for most of yesterday when we went to the theatre in Stratford with friends. It was one of Shakespeare's lighter plays-Two Gentlemen of Verona- very well done and apart from a couple of occasions when thoughts about surgery intruded, a good distraction. So I am planning to stay busy for the next few days, grandchildren this afternoon, a work meeting tomorrow and a friend coming on Tuesday. In between I will try to get my head around reconstruction options in case it turns out to be mastectomy.

Rosie, hope you had a wonderful time at the wedding and are not too exhausted today. I was thinking of you yesterday and hoping the weather was fine, it poured rain most of the day in Stratford but then just before five the sun came out. Since the weather normally travels from the south west maybe you got the sun a bit earlier. On the way back we saw pockets of what appeared to be either snow or hailstones at the side of the road. That's British weather for you. I hope breaking the news to your mother in law went OK and she wasn't too overtly emotional.

Lovewine, Wildpurl, Tij, hope you have a better day today. Tij, it's horrible when not only do you feel unwell but the effects of the chemo are visible to others, especially on the face. I developed a cold sore in the middle of my cheek and felt really unclean.

Cassie, Jos, Nellie, hope you are starting to feel better.
Lovewine

Louise wise words, unless you have been /are in our situation it is impossible to appreciate how hard it is to be upbeat all of the time, it really is a crap disease.
Rosie, thinking of you this evening, hope everything is going well and you are not too tired! All the very best to your son and daughter in law for a long and happy life together!💝🎩👰
Hope everyone else feeling fed up today is ok and maybe feeling slightly better- am still in the fed up corner myself!
rosie14

Louise I agree with you we do put on a brave face and it's a dreadful journey . I qm getting a little excited now! X
Louise3721

Hi ladies

Rosie have a fab time at the wedding hope the weather is kind and you make some lovely memories.

Lisa lovewine Tji wildpurl sorry if I miss anyone so sorry you feel pants it's a much harder journey than any of us could have imagined. I think it's made worse by the lack of information and uncertainty.

I think we are entitled to a bl**dy good moan after all this is serious life changing and endangering stuff. As women I think we like to put on a brave face and be very up beat for everyone else but sometimes its just very hard in fact almost impossible.

This is not forever we just need to keep looking forward. Onwards and upwards and be kind to yourself ladies xx
rosie14

Thank you Lisa 8i will be glad when we are all in the church! Hope you enjoy your weekend!
rosie14

Wildpurl I am so sorry that you are unwell with extra add ons at this stage in the preceedings .you will probably recover better if you are home alone.
I feel so tired and I know today is going to be a challenge . My stitches are pulling very tight now. I am going to try and get half an hour shut eye before I get disturbed! X daughter taking grandchildren to Jump, , soft play. To work of some exiteable energy!

rolicarpit

Good morning all,

Rosie, wishing you a great day today, hope everything goes well. Lovewine, hope you are able to forget about the hospitals incompetence and get on and enjoy your weekend as much as possible.

Sorry to hear that some of you are struggling and feeling rotten, hope this passes soon.

Have the best day possible

Lisa
Lovewine

May I add to wildpurls best wishes Rosie! All the very best for a lovely day!! Hope it all goes well, enjoy time also with your father, it sounds like you have all done the best thing and you certainly couldn't look after him with all what you have had done!
I am sorry to say I am also joining the fed up club today- obviously fed up with chemo/no chemo issue, and also like Wildpurl, fed up with being unable to do what I want, no energy, upset tummy and the list just goes on and on! I get up and always have plans to do nice things and then when it comes to it I can't be bothered or no energy to carry them out!
Moan over!
Wildpurl

First of all Rosie, best wishes for your son's wedding and I hope you all have a lovely day!

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling down Joan and Tlj and I'm afraid I am joining you because after my great day out what I ate for dinner seemed to violently disagree with me and I spent about three hours up and down to the toilet last night. I'm really sick to death of not being well, and this seems so totally unpredictable I don't feel I can go out and I don't see how I will be able to work unless it clears up. I've cancelled my Pilates this morning and I'm feeling really sorry for myself. OH is totally unhelpful and grumpy so I'm glad he is out for the day with his son.
rosie14

Tlj glad you are pleased with your mastectomy I am surprised the surgeon didn't sort out your other breast at the same time as he reconstructed the other it would have only been one lot of surgery for you then!but I clearly understand we
Hy you don't want more surgery now and if you are happy there is no point I am sure you look great bras can conceal so much!!!! When I wear my soft one with the post op inserts I have the chest of a 20 year old but underneath - well !
When 2 weeks has passed you will feel much better. I have noticed that my toes have stopped skinning and my nails aren't breaking up like they used to. . Taste buds have returned and veins feeling much better!
Lovewine I I can't believe your breast care nurse can't get anywhere either!! I hope you have a good
Weekend and can put it to the back of
Your mind until Monday!
I don't think I will be doing any boogieing or too much drinking as I am still taking pain killers. I have changed to paracetamol rather than the very strong ones I was given at the hospital as they were making me spaced out.
We have DH sister and family arriving today also his brother and family and his mother! We had not told his mother as she is 87 and lives by herself but we don't think we are going to get away with it and all the family feel,she should know so,DH is going to talk to her when she arrives! Not looking forward to this as she is a very emotional woman and I don't want people breaking down on a happy day! He will upbeat it .M y sister and her husband had booked their holiday prior to our youngest son announcing his wedding date 9 months ago so couldn't bring my father . He is 93 and very short of breath he is in a nursing home for 2 weeks while she is away . He usually lives by himself in sheltered housing and my sister lives 7 miles away but works opposite to,where he lives so she keeps an eye on him. We agreed
I couldn't possibly be responsible for him in my condition so the nursing home was the best option. DH and I are going up to see him on Monday and staying in my sisters house for the night as it is very near the nursing home then we fly back to Cyprus on Tuesday from Manchester. We aren not telling dad because he does very well to manage himself at this stage and my mum died from cancer 27 years ago!
Any way I will now tanking things easy until we are ready to go to the church!
I don't think the weather forecast is too good but I really hope we don't all get soaked!!!! Such a shame after all the lovely weather the UK have had!
Have a good Saturday everyone! X
Lovewine

Thankyou everyone for your support and empathy at my chemo farce, even my breast care nurse can't seem to get anywhere either! I will just have pre chemo bloods on Tuesday as usual and steroids Wednesday and see what oncologist says at my appt then, I am going to let him know how hard it's been not knowing if I am to have the 2 extra!!
Joan, sorry you are feeling deflated, again with you like me it's the uncertainty that gets to you, I also don't know whether it will be mastectomy/lumpectomy either, I think after being away too, when returning to reality you feel flat. I hope you get some answers next week at your appointment.
Rosie, glad you are managing to rest,you will need your energy for tomorrow and all that boogieing,drinking and general great time!! Will be thinking of you at 5.00p.m
Wildpurl, sounds like you have had a lovely day in London, my sister went to the v&a wedding dress exhibition and said how good it was. Hope you enjoy your nice glass of chilled wine and olives, sounds very nice!
Tij,hope you start to feel better soon, I think by the time we reach chemo 6 it becomes harder to get over it, god knows how I will feel if have to have 2 more! My appointment on Wednesday will be the day before the mystery chemo so I will know 24 hours before whether am having it or not! Unless of course I get a phone call on Monday which I doubt very much.
Cassie, Nellie and jos, hope side effects are improving.
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
Tlj63

Joan, I don't blame you for feeling a bit low. I'm finding this last cycle hard going to recover from. I had my mastectomy before chemo, so in theory I have finished my treatment . The thought of building myself up to have surgery after chemo, is understandably daunting. You just must want it all to be over. If it helps, I'm very pleased with my mastectomy and reconstruction. It looks pretty good, the perky boob of a 20 year old. Sadly, the other boob is still that of a 50 year old although my lovely surgeon is keen to do something to it to hitch it up so they are a better match. Personally, right now I just want to be left alone and not prodded anymore so I won't be considering any more surgery for quite some time if I can help it.
This cycle does seem to be taking its time to recover from. I feel loads better than I did 4/5 days ago, but still far from normal. The skin on my face has gone all spotty, sore and itchy, I look dreadful and it feels really uncomfortable. Hoping this is just going to be short term and will get better in a few days.
Rosie, thinking of you and your family tomorrow. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Lovewine, can't believe they haven't decided on next chemo or not. Surely, they have to make up the drugs in advance, so they must know the day before at the latest. Hope you get it sorted.
rosie14

Joan glad you enjoyed your break make sure you plan another one when you have recovered from surgery whatever that may be! When I first was told I would need a mastectomy I gulped but then you start looking at which reconstruction method you will choose!
I think the weather tomorrow is wet Joan they aren't getting married till 5 pm so I will take it easy in the morning.
I love the story of your granddaughter they deal with these things sin their own little way. My youngest granddaughter is 5 and is a sensitive little girl. She has seen me on skype with just a head scarf for the last few months so when she saw me yesterday with a wig she whispered to my daughter about grandmas hair and where it had come from!
joan47

Sorry my last post was all about me. Just had to get it off my chest. Come to think of it that was either a very appropriate or unfortunate comment.

Lovewine, like many others in this group I am appalled at the continuing uncertainty you are, which seems to indicate such insensitivity to what it means to have to face the possibility of another chemo and having to start on the steroids. I know they are very busy but surely, apart from the effect on you it is inefficient to start the whole process when it may not be necessary.

Wildpurl, glad you managed your trip into London. That's quite something.

Nellie, Cassie and Jos hope you start feeling better soon. I think the final chemo hit quite a few if us harder than we had expected.

Rosie, have a wonderful day tomorrow. It sounds as if you are being really sensible about not doing too much, tempting though it must be. Hope the weather behaves. Glad husbands wound is holding together. Hope your stitches don't play up too much tomorrow.

Apologies to anyone I have missed, husband is asking what time I am planning dinner.
joan47

Oh dear. Back home after a lovely break away but I feel rather down in the dumps. Fed up with looking a freak, wondering how people are going to react, feeling exhausted and getting in a bit if a state about what the surgeon is going to say next week and how I will cope if he decides on a mastectomy. I know several of you lovely ladies have gone through it, and Rosie is coping amazingly with a double, but I think I have coped with the diagnosis so far because, although the surgeon was originally talking about a mastectomy, he the n said he was pretty confident it could be shrunk with chemo. So I think I have been in cloud cuckoo land so far.

On a lighter note, I do t know whether I can put this down to chemo brain but having gone to have my nails painted this afternoon I realised that I had come out in odd sandals. And not just slightly different ones either!

A bit of a touching story. My 4 yr old granddaughters pre school teacher was I'm impressed with her reaction when another child told the group, at circle time,. That her grandma was poorly and the medicine had made her hair fall out. Katy piped up and said 'it's ok, my grandma had that, she had a wig but she doesn't like to wear it, but it's all ok. The teacher said it was lovely because it mDe it quite normal for all the children. And this was the child who screamed and hid behind her mum when she first saw. Me without a hat.

rosie14

Hi Nellie I am getting rest as I get very tired and whilst the others go out I stay in the room for then afternoon. we took DH dressing off this am and he has 3 big stitches but it is holding together I have re dressed it for him and he made me take a picture of it so,he could see what it was like! 'Y stitches are pulling something rotten now on the left side 5 days till 8
I have them out! An encouraging story of the bridesmaid Nellie! It is very tiring having visitors and I think your sister in law had been with you for 2 weeks!
Cassie you will feel better each day and this time next week side effects should have disappeared for good!
Lovewine I can't believe how you have been treated and am sure somebody could just tell you yes you are having another chemo session! I had 8 sessions but 2 weekly due to aggressive tumour same reason he had to operate and wouldn't leave me for 4weeks!
Wildpurl

Afternoon everyone, I am back from my day out. It was lovely to catch up with my friend and have a really good chat. We had a picnic in green park then went to the V&A and saw the wedding dress exhibition which is absolutely fabulous, then had a cold drink in the outside cafe by the paddling pool, it was a very peaceful and normal day out! Walking around and going up the escalators etc in the Tube was good exercise!

I was thinking of doing some housework when I got back but it's my day off and I'm going to relax with OH and have a cold glass of white with some olives in a bit. I hope you have all had good days.

Lovewine I'm appalled at how you are being treated, quite honestly, I think it is just thoughtless of them to leave you not knowing like this. A chemo cycle isn't like - shall I give you antibiotics or not? For heavens sake!
Lovewine

Wildpurl, have a lovely day today, Rosie, how lovely to be all together at last! Keeping my fingers crossed it stays dry for the wedding tomorrow, I know rain is coming tonight, let's hope it clears up!
Nellie, I am the same as you with my dogs- 2 very active collies and I also babysit my son and daughter in laws collie cross rescue dog quite a lot too!!
Jos and cassie hope you have a better few days to come with side effects.
Yes, I am living in limbo- chemo or no chemo next week?! I am getting nowhere with ringing up, all I am told is my oncologist will review all my notes when I am there on Wednesday for my usual appointment!! Which means I am going to have my bloods done and start steroids too!!
Enjoy your Friday everyone!
rosie14

Re: Hello

Cassie the last chemo symptoms seem the worst as you know only too well what is coming! Do hope you have a better day and remember each day now is one further out of the chemo journey!
Wildpurl good for you off to London to meet kyour friend hope you enjoy your day. I have been wearing my wig all day and night here in the uk the children and grandchildren had not seen it before as I always appear in just a head scarf on skype form Cyprus because it is too hot for a wig!
Wildpurl

Re: Hello

Morning everyone, cassie and jos, even though I am a little ahead of you I still feel very impatient for all SEs to clear and to feel normal.
After your previous cycle jos where you were diagnosed with oral thrush, I did some reading and thought maybe I did have oral thrush even though I didn't have all the symptoms. I used corsodyl mouthwash twice a day for about a week, as I happened to have some and it definitely helped the taste issues to clear up more quickly.

This morning I am feeling OK to go up to London to meet my friend, although I am going to take it easy and rest a lot, so I have a packed lunch to make and then off to the station. It feels almost scary to go out for the day! I've decided to wear my wig as my friend hasn't seen me since before the chemo and I think she will find it easier to recognise me. Luckily it is not forecast to be too hot!

Hope everyone else has a good day
Cassie86

Hello

Rosie and DH, I am glad all is going well with your family arrangements, sounds lovely, I hope your pain subsides.

Lovewine, what a quandary we all keep finding ourselves in, we wish for things to be straight forward but they never seem to turn out exactly how we think they should, I hope the Hospital hurry up and put your mind at rest.

Jos, I know exactly how you are feeling just marking time and feeling crappy, I am on day four of my last chemo and have aches and pains in my throat and a terrible mouth, furry no taste etc, I barely could keep my eyes open yesterday for moe than three hours at a time, it's really frustrating and boring at this stage, I just want to feel better and get on with things as usual.

Lets hope for a happier healthier day xc

rosie14

Wildpurl glad your stomach upset has sorted itself out. Jos hope you are feeling more positive today about talking final side effects.
Lovewine I feel very sorry for you why can't someone just tell you what the plan is to keep making you wait is rather cruel with something so big! I do hope you won't have to wait until next Wednesday!
Well all the family are here now, our children and grandchildren that is. Daughter and family arrived at 2 yesterday and son and fiancée at 7.45. We all had a Carvery at the Toby Grill next door to the Travelodge they chilled champagne that son had bought from France, and we went back to daughters room as she had more beds for sitting on and there was birthday cake for DH birthday that was at the beginning of July and plastic champagne flutes , our son from France is very particular that it must be drunk from a flute! I consumed 1.5 glasses of wine and .5 of a champagne . I didn't take any pain killers last night I didn't need them! Just 1 drink tonight then 2 or 3 at the wedding then no more until I am safely home!!!!! I am still very bruised and sore on left side and of course the stitches are still there. I had a pain in my right leg yesterday which made me panic a bit but I am hoping it is because I haven't always been able to sit with my legs elevated. The others are going to town today so I will stay with a friend at her house and DH can pick me up on way back.
Hope you all have a good dayx
nellie2099

Hi All,

Lovewine I am glad you enjoyed your shopping trip. I think bras are going to be an impossible thing to shop for until it’s all well and truly over!  We don’t really know what we will end up like!

Rosie I hope everyone is spoiling you rotten and you are getting enough rest. Is DH’s mole ok? Perhaps the cooler weather here will help it dry and heal a little better.

Jos the impatience is maddening isn’t it!  I think because we know we won’t be knocked down again when we feel better there is actually a point to getting to that stage. I was very relieved when my sister in law finally set off for the airport at 9 am yesterday and popped up for a rest - did not emerge till 1.30!  

An old friend has arrived at 3 and I was sufficiently rested to enjoy her company for the rest of the day.  It has been great fun as she owns one of the litter my working cocker had in January and we kept one so the family is almost back together. The siblings are enjoying each other’s company and playing like mad while the older 2 dogs give them disapproving looks!  All four are sitting by my feet as I type - very appealing but I have to keep telling myself ‘no more dogs!’

She also told me an encouraging story of her bridesmaid who had BC. After chemo double mastectomy rads and herceptin, she unfortunately had a secondary recurrence under her collar bone.  This was also treated but she opted not to have the chemo offered so she could enjoy her time with her young family.  12 years later she is still completely clear and Bristol’s longest surviving patient and is on no meds at all!   It can happen!

Wishing everyone a good day,

Nellie

nellie2099

Hi Zonda,

Sorry to hear of your struggle with your chemo and uncertainty of how to proceed.

I had a similar experience with the pain but did not react to the actual infusion. 3 days after the first tax the pain was so unbearable I was just curled up moaning on the living room floor struggling to breathe properly. OH I thought there must be something else wrong and called 999. I had bloods done that revealed very low counts and affected liver function.  I did recover though!!  It appears they give you the highest dose they dare and in my case this was too much.  For the next two treatments I have had a 20% reduced dose and have coped fine and have been reassured it is still enough to do the job.  Perhaps you could ask if this could be an additional option for you to consider?  

I don’t know about the pros and cons of 2 week verses 3 week cycles but we all seem to be getting there in the end.

Good luck.

Nellie

rosie14

Hi. Zonda l had 8x2weekly cycles of chemo the last. 4 were taxol and I had a reaction to the 2nd 3 rd and 4th but managed to continue and complete each session .
jos

Thanks for the encouragement Wildpurl.  I know that this will pass but I guess I'm just being impatient.  I generally bounce back quite fast but having had the final chemo I want to feel better NOW!!  Its my mouth that's really getting me down because no matter what I do I can't excape the horrible taste.

x

Wildpurl

Jos your post sounds exactly how I was feeling last week, but here I am one week on and I can taste things and enjoy food again and my energy is slowly increasing and my upset tummy seems to have cleared up, so hang in there, rest when you need to, it won't be long before you are feeling more like yourself, you will get through it.
Wildpurl

Hi Zonda, I think most of us on this thread have experience of Docetaxol at three week intervals, and one lady, rosie14, had it every two weeks. We all had side effects from it, some people more severe than others and although manageable they are not necessarily any easier than the Taxol you have already had.

Some of the other ladies had reactions to Docetaxol, and on subsequent doses they were given additional drugs to reduce or prevent the reaction, which I am sure they will do for you with the Taxol.

As a 3 weekly lady I would say the advantage is that you recover further before each new cycle. However with a two weekly cycle the overall duration is less. Rosie might be able to comment on her view of the pros and cons from having two weekly cycles.

I hope that helps a bit - it's a bit Hobson's choice really!
Jo_BCC

Hi Zonda,

As you haven't as yet had any replies to your question, I wondered if you might be interested in trying our General Live Chat session tonight.  It's hosted by a nurse and facilitated by a moderator, so there will be a nurse available if you would like to ask there regarding your chemo question.  Plus, the regular users of live chat have a wealth of knowledge and experience between them and will welcome you openly.  I will put you the link to live chat below for you to have a look at.  The session starts at 8.30pm tonight for 1 hour.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

jos

Lovewine - sorry you are still none the wiser.

Nellie - your post sounded just like I've felt today.  Tired, grumpy and horrible mouth.  It's been a bad day.  Have barely managed to get up from the bed I've been so exhausted and eating anything is unappealing although I am forcing things down to keep my strength up.  It's one of those days when I just can't imagine feeling well and energetic ever again. 

Rosie - thanks for your wise words of not tyring to jump the hurdles all at once!  Hope you've had a lovely day.

I hope everyone else is doing ok.

x

Lovewine

Thanks Louise and Rosie, I feel a lot better after your reassurance, didn't buy a bra, bought a nice linen top instead!! Still no joy with hospital, had letter come today from oncology dept, saying appt next Wednesday and I suppose then I will find out if had bloods/ steroids needlessly or chemo the next day- it's not an ideal situation , but resigned to it now.
Zonda

Can I get opinions please?  I started on taxol last session and I had a reaction while getting it.  Nurses responded immediately and it was all fine and I finished the dose.  A few days later I had the most awful pains all over my whole body which lasted 2 days and then eased.  It is over a week now since I had the taxol and while I feel ok, I am still feeling some discomfort.  I rang my oncology liason nurse and told her all this.

She rang me today and said I could have Dosetaxel (sp?) instead of taxol (which I seem to be sensitive to) which has less side effects but each session is 3 weeks apart instead of 2 and I only have 3 sessions to go.

I am not sure what to do.  I want to be finished asap and there is no guarantee that dosetaxel will be much easier.  Does anyone have any experience they can share? 

rosie14

That's a difficult one Lovewine. As I was having double mastectomy I figured I would be at least a size smaller so ordered a 36 d instead of 38 dd it seems to be the right size even though I still have a lot of swelling on left side !
Louise3721

Hi Lovewine

Re bras I dont know how it works in your area but when i saw my prothesis nurse if you see something you like in the brochures those who do the masectomy bras ie Nicola Jane etc. If you order it through her at the hospital they get 10% off, she also advised that the sizes are small and that as I am a 38DD I should order a 38 E. I tried bras at M and S and had to take them back as way too small. I am using my normal bras with my prothesis and it works fine.  The only thing I have had to alter is the the tops and dresses that I wear - I was proud of my boobs and found that people did not notice your fat legs if the view further up was good!. Do hope you get sorted soon but please be re asssured I had a masectomy and it really is not that bad xx

Lovewine

Thanks Rosie!! Desperately need new bras! But don't know if I am going to be left with half a boob, one boob or none at all!! So rather difficult! Will have to look at something else in m&s instead, although I look a fright today as my eyes and nose are continually streaming!!
rosie14

Good morning Lovewine I think that you definitely need some retail therapy it will do you good to go to the city!
I do hope that you find out about your onward plan today it must be such a worry to you.
I am going to get DH to get me some paracetamol from chemist I am taking Solpadeine at the mo and it wasn't till DH said he felt strange after taking them I realised that they make me feel very spaced out and tired! I still have swelling on the left and of course stitches .
Hope your day is informative!!!!'
Lovewine

Hi everyone, thankfully my upset tummy is a lot better today, Wildpurl hope you make it out with your friend tomorrow, so nice to have little treats! Rosie, enjoy all your family getting together for the rehearsal, your grandchildren must be such a joy to you! They will look lovely in their outfits. Have a nice say today.
Jos and cassie, hope you soon see the end of side effects, no more to come!!
Nellie, hope you have recovered from all that cooking, it does make you tired even doing small things now doesn't it.
Joan, have a nice day whatever you are doing today, hope you have sunny weather.
Have a good day everyone. I am hoping to hear from oncologist today, really don't want to have unnecessary blood test and steroids if not having chemo!! It would be nice to be told what's happening with my own body!!
Am going shopping into the city today for the first time since chemo began, almost as a rebellious act as to what's happening!!