73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Lovewine

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Nice to have you back Joan! Yes I would really miss my ipad too!
rosie14

Joan so glad you have got your I pad replaced I would be lost without mine!
joan47

Lovewine, I know what you mean about struggling with walking uphill or stairs. I guess it will take a while, and probably quite a bit of effort, to get back to previous levels of fitness. But having the dogs does mean you have to get out and walk, I don't have that imperative. Those macaroons sound delicious and all too moreish. I like the description of your head looking like a coconut, that would be a very good description of mine too. I still have just discernible though gappy eyebrows which I am trying to even out using eyebrow pencil, not sure how successfully.
joan47

I now have a new iPad so posting on the forum is much easier. The last few days have been a bit hectic for one reason and another and not found the time to sit at the computer. Everything went well on Friday, the breast care nurse at the private hospital clearly very efficient and persuasive so no problem over getting bloods taken locally and all the pre assessment stuff done very expeditiously.

Argh, now can't seem to bring up the messages. Will post this them sign out and hope to have more luck next time.
rosie14

Good morning Wildpurl and Lovewine I am impressed that both of you are planning to bake! Steady rain oh dear I wouldn't like that and I would be too much of a coward to go and stand in a waterproof watching a cycle race. Won't it be cancelled in the rain?
The macaroons sound delicious!
Wildpurl

Morning Lovewine, you sneaked in there while I was posting! It's good you got your dog walk in before the rain.

Those macaroons sound good, as does chocolate and banana cake. I plan to make some sausage rolls and scotch eggs today, for use in packed lunches.
Wildpurl

Good morning Rosie, well it is raining steadily here and does feel quite autumnal. I am tired after my busy day yesterday so will be having a rest day. This afternoon we will put on our waterproofs and go to see the road cycle race coming by, it is always fun to watch.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday!
Lovewine

Morning ladies, Rosie and Wildpurl, your meals sound delicious, hope you managed to taste them now? The national trust membership sounds quite tempting Wildpurl, am quite tempted to join with hubby. It's pouring with rain here this morning, managed my dog walk just before it really started pouring, yes Rosie, it's much easier with just my own 2 dogs now!.. I agree Wildpurl, autumn is my favourite season too, and yes I appreciate the small things now so much more.
Hope you have a nice day whatever you do, I am going to catch up with some chores as weather bad, might bake nigel slaters choc and banana cake and then eat it later!! Although son and daughter in law brought me back from Paris the nicest macaroons I have ever tasted!! Am limiting myself to just 2,a day!!
rosie14

Good morning ladies there only seem to be a few of us around at the moment! Trust everybody else is on holiday or feeling so,well that they are living life to the full. Hope you are ok Joan and will be thinking of you on Tuesday! X
rosie14

I am glad your NT pack has arrived Wildpurl we had a family membership when the kids were little! I love roast lamb the lamb we get here isn't always lamb sometimes it's goat! Whenever I visit England first meal,I select is lamb shank. We do grow mint here in the bit of garden we have for planting alone with an orange tree, lemon tree. We have an olive tree but have only had a few olives from it in the nearly 8 years we have had it, we also,have a small,grape vine and we have had one bunch of grapes two years ago! The trouble with that is some very unpleasant caterpillars come and eat it and as it is round the back of the house we don't always notice them especially this year!
Have a great Sunday !
Wildpurl

Just to add, that I am really appreciating the small things in life as I recover. So much that I used to take for granted.
Wildpurl

Autumn is my favourite season Rosie so I'm not too bothered if summer begins to fade now, but it might only be a few wet days and then get warmer again, you never know.

Our National Trust gift membership pack arrived today, so we are all set to go visiting next weekend.

This evening we had roast lamb for dinner on a bed of potatoes, onion and sage, which I have washed down with a glass of red wine. Delicious!
rosie14

I only had one glass Lovewine as I am back on antibiotics. DH cooked meal tonight fillet steak, sauté potatoes , courgette, mushrooms , onions. Son and his fiancée are now doing all DH washing up!!!!!!'
I bet it's easier with 2 collies than 3! sounds like you are building up,your stamina by walking dogs! My legs are still very weak and I can't walk too far yet!
Lovewine

Enjoy your chilled wine Rosie, I am sitting here with a nice glass of red wine, didn't go to pub, went for a second walk of the day instead, very nice , quiet and no one about just me, hubby and 2 collies now!
Wildpurl, hope you had a good day at gym and farmers market, I really like poking around them, lovely produce etc, I am worn out now, my legs don't seem to like going up hills or stairs!! A long way to go yoe before I am anywhere near the stamina I used to have- very frustrating!!
rosie14

Am looking foward to sitting in it this evening with a glass of chilled wine in my hand Wildpurl! I am sorry your summer is ending our goes on for another 6 weeks yet then it starts cooling down late Septmeber to the Top 20,s !
Wildpurl

I'm quite envious of your recliner Rosie TBH! I think it would be lovely to lie on a recliner in the garden in dappled shade on a hot day...
It is an expensive business, but we deserve some treats I think.

Today might be the last of the summer weather for a bit, so yes, going to make the most of it. Lovewine I would think walking three collies is fun but quite demanding!

Joan, I hope your pre-op went well. Everyone else, hope you are doing well and enjoying your holidays if that is where you are.
rosie14

Good morning Wildpurl how lovely to oversleep! Goodness going to the gym and the farmers market sounds energetic to me! Sounds like you have to make the most of the day if it's wet and windy tomorrow!
Wildpurl

Morning Rosie and Lovewine, lots of rain here last night which is good, the lawn looks greener already. I have overslept a bit, which is good in a way, but now I am rushing around getting ready to go to the gym. Later on we are going to the Farmer's Market and I have some gardening to do this afternoon. Today is forecast to be warm and sunny, tomorrow looks wet and possibly windy and the Classic cycle race is coming through the village, so we will go out to see that and maybe get a glimpse of Bradley Wiggins!
Lovewine

Thanks Rosie, you too! And yes agree, cancer is an expensive business, new t.v, tassimo machine, trip to Norfolk for morale boosting before surgery!! And you with added expenses , not to even start on loss of income !!be very nice for you to loll on your reclining chair!! Enjoy it and relax think you have earned it these last few weeks!!x
rosie14

I have lost my post twice!
Lovewine it sounds like quite a fitness regime walking 3 dogs I can't even walk one! Our sone emerged about an hour ago and had a strong coffee. We don't lean to do much today . DH bought me a reclining chair yesterday as I can't get down on the sunbed and the wicker furniture isn't that comfortable so I am sitting on it now. Cancer has cost us a lot of money one way or another!
Getting a digital ariel for kitchen will be very useful and going out for a glass of wine sounds good. Enjoy your day!
Lovewine

Morning Rosie, hope Your family have recovered from late bedtime, you would have been exhausted if you had gone, enjoy a quiet day today, I think you will feel stronger each day now !
My son and daughter in law arrive back from Paris today and we have been looking after their dog, so I have had 3 collies to walk ( which is where I am going in a minute!) am just waiting for my strong black coffee to kick in giving me some energy!! O/H and myself are going to drive to market harborough- nearest town to us , we want a digital aerial for kitchen t.v , this is about as exciting as it gets!! May go to our local pub early evening for a glass of wine too.
Hope all you ladies are ok? Jackie, haven't heard from you for a while, not sure if you are away on holiday?

rosie14

DH didn't get back from airport until after 2 o'clock and it was nearly 3 before the house went quiet. But thank goodness they arrived safely and the fight wasn't cancelled!
Hope everyone is well and that Tlj has a fantastic holiday. Hope all went well for you Joan yesterday at the hospital.
Lovewine, Wildpurl and Jos what do you have planned for the weekend? Hope Cassie and Nellie are ok also Louise and Eam and anyone else I may have missed! I expect we will have a relaxing day today with maybe a supermarket visit for the trio I am not up to it yet. My poor car is sat on the drive all dusty and the battery has gone. DH can't drive it because it's too small and it hurts his back it's a Pronto. So it will have to sit there looking sorry for itself until I am fit enough to drive again. Xx
rosie14

Not going to the airport with DH as flight not in until 12.45 it would be 1.45 at earliest before getting home. I am shattered and couldn't face a journey over speed ramps and bumpy roads again today.
Lovewine you are correct our daughter and her husband with 2 of the grandchildren are coming out October half term . Hopefully by then I will be fully restored! I like your analogy of a coconut re head hair- no sign of any growth to any of my hair!!!
Lovewine

Not surprised Rosie you fed up with it all, yes having your son and fiancée visiting will be a good distraction, I think you mentioned in earlier posts your daughter is visiting too later in year? Think I got that right or might have imagined it! Enjoy your takeaway and hope you are not waiting to long for delayed flight!
I also have lost most of my body hair , eyebrows and lashes !! Leg hair growing a little and head hair resembles a coconut!
Wildpurl, you must feel really nice after a bit of pampering, in the words of l'oreal " you are worth it!",
Tijj, have a lovely holiday, enjoy the time away with your family, hope the weather is kind to you.
Joan, hope you get your ipad sorted out soon and also your pre op today went ok?
rosie14

Wildpurl I think it will be a good distraction for DH and I having visitors.
How wonderful to be able to swim again and to,have your legs waxed! I lost most of my body hair no eyebrows or lashes at all hoping they will come back fairly soon !
glad to hear that you are becoming fitter there is hope for us all yet!!!
just heard sons plane has been delayed so it's going to be after '
Midnight when he arrives so I should sleep,well tonight! We are going to,airport to meet him. Where going to get a meal,on way now getting take away as we
dont want to be sat around waiting too long better to be at home!
Wildpurl

Oh Rosie I am sure you must be fed up with all the palaver, but you know it will heal, you just need to rest and let your body do its stuff. I think a nice visit from your son and his fiancée, taking it easy, will be just what is called for.
Tlj it is comforting to know others have had the swollen ankle thing as well. I went for a longer walk this afternoon with OH and really noticed I was fitter, not so breathless (except going uphill) and legs not so wobbly and tired. So I am improving, and I notice the ankles are less swollen this evening. I'm glad your echo was fine, I'm pretty confident my heart is OK, I think the chemo just reduces fitness, but the good thing is that now I can keep getting fitter. Next week I am allowed to start swimming again, looking forward to that too.

I absolutely love La Rochelle and the Ile de Re, I am very envious of your holiday and I hope you have a lovely relaxing time, which I am sure you will.

Today I went to the beautician and had my legs waxed, I feel great with smooth legs but also just being pampered. As I am lucky enough to have kept most of my eyebrows I asked her to look at them as well and she has tidied them up, they look so much better and darker for some reason, it has really boosted my morale.
rosie14

Oh thank you Jos hope all goes well for you!
jos

Rosie - sorry to hear that you are still having to put up with all this.  You must be so fed up at a stage when you just want to concentrate on recovery.  Hoping for a resolution soon.

In answer to your question, WLE is wide local excision and LICAP is Lateral Intercostal Artery Perforator flap reconstruction!  They basically take a bit of tissue from your side under your arm (the bit that often squeezes out above the bra) and pop it in to replace the tissue taken from the breast. 

Have a lovely time with your son.

x

jos

Thanks Lovewine that's good to know.

rosie14

Tlj yes he is using the holes for drainage it's rather disconcerting though as I can feel it seep out. I am well padded! DH and I are eating out on the way to the airport so I will have to make a bit of an effort with my appearance!
I hope you have a fantastic holiday in France and that you enjoy some quality family time whatever the weather get in plenty of wine, cheese and bread !!!!!
Good news about your heart echo!
Happy hols! X
Tlj63

Rosie, I'm not surprised you are fed up. But at least you made it to the uk for the wedding and you can look forward to having some good times with your son and his fiancée. The holes do not sound nice, but I assume he can use them to drain any fluid or clot.
Wildpurl, if it's any concellation, my ankles seem quite puffy as well. They seem quite bad first thing in the morning which doesn't make sense to me, but I have just come back from my echo which was fine so I am assuming my heart must be functioning ok. Let's hope it settles down over the next week or so.
My skin is slowly getting better. The spots are gone, just left with very flakey eye lids. Not a great look, and still very itchy, so I'm continuing with the bio oil.
Trying to ramp my chemo brain up to remember all the things we need to pack into the car for our holiday. Have to keep writing lists as the brain just can't cope. We leave first thing tomorrow morning on the ferry and then drive to l'ile de Re, which is an island just off La Rochelle. The weather is looking slightly dodgy but as long as it doesn't pour with rain we should have fun. DH really needs a break, so I'm hoping that even if I'm not up to doing anything too strenuous he can have fun with the kids and not have to think about work or his 'sickly' wife.
rosie14

Just got back from Limassol I had ultra sound to check the fluid build up on the left. The surgeon took tight dressing off which were covered in blood and DH said he had left two holes to get the fluid to drain that he had stuffed up with gauze. So I have come home with two holes loads of padding and tape over left side and still got the stitches under my arm! He said he would call me tomorrow to find out how I am . Now what will have to happen to these two holes that DH reckons are 3 cms each I am sure he will have to stitch them he must have opened me up on Wednesday to let out the excess fluid and get the clots! Sorry this is not a nice dialogue but I am rather fed up with it all now and wish I had refused the 8th chemotherapy treatment and left a bigger gap between chemo and surgery!
rosie14

Good morning Wildpurl hope the water retaining ankles go down soon. When I had water retention in stomach after surgery I drank loads of water, avoided salt which I love, and walked as much as I could. It went down within the 2 weeks and it was a huge swelling weighing half a stone!!!!!!
I am looking forward to visit to surgeon and hoping he will remove all remaining stitches! I put all my clothes away this am and our washing then I washed myself and now I am worn out!
Lovewine glad your energy levels are improving I can't wait to walk the dog again! I love the early morning walk before 7,30 when it is a very pleasant temperature! Good luck with your two hours work and enjoy your potter in garden!
Lovewine

Morning everyone, good you are getting more sleep Rosie, I slept much better too last night! Wildpurl, hope the swollen ankles go down soon, it's a little cooler here today too, just taken my dogs over the fields and it was really refreshing and pleasant, good luck with pottering! That's what I will be doing after a couple of hours of work, my energy levels are gradually improving too.
Hope your sons flight isn't delayed Rosie, you will be worn out otherwise, enjoy their stay!!
rosie14

Thanks Lucy!
Lucy_BCC

Hi Rosie

This link to the BCC glossary of terms will help with abbreviations used on the site:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/glossary

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Wildpurl

Good morning Rosie, glad to hear you are sleeping better. I had been doing well and sleeping right through but with the amazing water retaining ankles have been getting up to go to the loo at least once.

It is cooler here today and should rain, I hope to get into the garden again and generally potter about getting stuff done which I haven't had the energy for. I definitely feel my energy levels improving now, it is so great to start feeling better!

Hope your stitches can all be removed today, it makes a big difference I think once they are out and healing can progress.
I hope everyone has a good day.
rosie14

Good morning from Cyprus ladies hope this finds you all well and managing to improve on the sleep front .i am getting better I am managing to stay in bed longer. I get out at least twice in the night I have had to get used to sleeping on my back!
Off to Limassol today to see the surgeon I do hope he will be able to remove the remainder of the stitches and unbind me. I am hoping that the fluid will stop building up on the left side and I can now get on and heal.
Eldest son and fiancée arrive tonight so DH and I have got to get the suitcases from their beds unpacked we have been doing a bit slowly I am just about to go up there and have another go! They land at 10.30 pm I am usually in bed by then we are about 30 mins from Paphos airport. Should be home by 11.45 I think I will be rolling into bed he will want a beer by the pool! They don't get up very early which is fine because DH and I tend to do things early before it gets too hot!
For those of you working the weekend starts tonight I hope it's a good one for us all, especially for you Joan as your surgery is now round the corner! Xxx
rosie14

Jos can you enlighten me what does WLE and LICAP stand for I have seen it on the surgery board?
Hope your mouth drops work!
Lovewine

Jos and Wildpurl regarding. Medi bracelets, I wear one on my lymph node arm, ordered mine from amazon for about £3.00, it is very clear, Also noticed my chemo unit did them for a donation!! I had mild lymphodemia a few weeks ago in upper arm, found if I did the exercises from breast care nurses it went within a few hours!!
All systems go jos for you ,Joan and myself!!
jos

Lovewine - i am a couple of days ahead of you on 26th August then another on 9th September all being well.  Good luck with the heart scan.  No herceptin for me but five years of tamoxifen to look forward to!

Rosie - i hope you have a lovely time with your son.  You really do deserve a lovely relaxing time after all that has happened.

Joan - I was given tablets for the thrush but they haven't got rid of it so on mouth drops now - lovely!

x

jos

Thanks Wildpurl.  I will definitely be exercising and I also do pilates.  The medi bracelet sounds a good idea - will look in to that.

Joan - gosh, that is fast.  Good luck with the next few days and I hope it's not all too frustrating going between hospitals. Great that you can start with a lumpectomy.  It's not me who has chalked up three hospitals - I'm luckily at the same one which is very close by, with very occasional trips to another one, also close by. 

I saw my breast care nurse this morning who went through my two surgeries in detail.  First the WLE then two weeks later the LICAP.  She showed me pics of LICAP patients and the final result looks good.  The two surgeries make it all a lot longer than I was expecting but they leave a gap after the first so they can check they have the clear margins. 

Hope everyone doing ok today.

x

jos

Many thanks Alice.  Yes, I have probably read every leaflet and a lot of websites and a fair few academic papers on lymphoedema (late night Googler - need to break the habit) !!!  It's great to hear some encouragement and hear you are doing well.

x

Lovewine

Hi Rosie, I am definitely out of practice with my shopping, am going to need a few more trips to get used to get used to it again !! When I started chemo and couldn't drink much wine I treated myself to a tassimo machine and have never looked back!! I love it, even in the recent hot weather! I like the costa Americano pods and carte noire creme, nice and strong!! You can also buy refreshing teas for it too!! Happy drinking!!
rosie14

Lovewine how restrained of you to purchase so little especially from Marks & Spencers! Good news about the lumpectomy the end of August will soon be here! I was supposed to have herceptin but the fec had damaged part of my heart when I had the trace done so haven't been given it yet.
Sent DH out with a short shopping list this am he was gone 3 hours. On the list was the one cup filter coffees that eldest son likes I usually pay about 3 euros for a pack. He came home with a coffee maker Tassimo! Honestly he is dangerous in shops without me! It's really not the sort of gadget we need for the summer!! We don't have much workspace in the kitchen either!
Lovewine

Hi ladies, just a modest splurge! A £12.50 top from marks and Spencer's and a couple of food storage containers from pound land!! I am quite low maintenance!
Thankyou for your posts and sympathy over my chemo, am worried now it's going to grow again until surgery on 29th, onc said it wouldn't, but still worry,
Joan , great news a lumpectomy for you, I am going down same path as you - lumpectomy first with nipple removal and see if clear margins from it. Fingers crossed for us both and you too jos? When do you have your surgery booked? I was told I need an echo heArt scan too before I start herceptin shortly and also FEC can damage the heart too!
Wildpurl, shame about NT but something to look forward to next weekend! Hope you have a productive day.
Rosie, lovely to see your son and his family especially after the wedding and coming home, it can be a little deflating after all the build up to it, you did so well getting there and all the travelling about!! Hope D/h recovers soon too, must be uncomfortable for him.
Jos enjoy your holiday and you too cassie.
Tij, hope your skin has calmed down a bit now.
rosie14

As long as she is happy in what she does Wildpurl it sounds very interesting. But I do know what you mean about having kids that travel . My daughter went to Brazil once and I was very glad when she got back!
Wildpurl

At the moment she is travelling to the Congo 3-4 times a year. She is an anthropologist and goes to do fieldwork as part of her PhD research. As an anthropologist she is likely to spend a lot of her career travelling and living in remote locations, she has always been passionate about travel and I have got used to it but secretly prefer it when she is home in the UK!
rosie14

There is a positive side to swollen ankles Wildpurl if OH is cooking the supper I hope he is washing up too! It will be good to see your daughter when she returns does she travel often?
Wildpurl

Hello Alice, it's good to know I am not alone with the swollen ankles and that it goes away in time. They are looking normal this morning and I have had to wee quite a lot (sorry TMI), but I am resting now and just remembered to elevate them. The positive side is that OH insists I sit down every evening and put my feet up while he makes dinner. I definitely think the hot weather exacerbates it.

Joan, glad you will have a lumpectomy to start with and it's good that your op will go ahead soon, I'm sure it will be fine.

Jos, I also worry about lymphoedema, I think exercise is important and I feel the Pilates helps. I'm very strict about no needles or blood pressure checks in that arm, a bracelet is a good idea as well, I think I will get one.

Rosie it sounds like you are doing well and are more comfortable now. I'm sure you will enjoy seeing your family at home in Cyprus and hopefully you can relax now and just concentrate on healing.

My daughter has been in the Congo since the beginning of July and flies home in the next couple of days, I am always relieved when she is safely back, and I am looking forward to spending some time with her.