Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Hi

After being diagnosed in January with grade 3 idc and two surgeries I am now due to start chemo at the beginning of April.  Just wondered if anyone else is?

I am seeing oncologist next weds to discuss which type but as I had one node positive and one with a micromet I am thinking it may be tac?? 

Louise xxx

Hey Louise I was diagnosed with grade 2 idc mid Jan and had WLE and SNB on 12 Feb, they wanted to do some extra tests on my tumour and have now had first chemo session (FEC) confirmed for 2 April Sue

Hi Louise, I have been posting in the March thread as I thought I would be starting at the end of March, but my first FEC has been confirmed now for 4th April.
Carol

Hi everyone.

I am also due to start chemo some time in April. I am not sure of the exact date at the moment as I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction just over two weeks ago and unfortunately have had ongoing problems with right implant (skin necrosis, infection,etc). I am now wearing a negative pressure dressing which will hopefully help to remedy the situation, but these problems have delayed me starting chemo. Consultant has said that it will definitely be within the next 4-6 weeks though and I have been issued all the info on FEC-T and wig prescription is ready to go.

Reading the posts from the amazing ladies on this discussion board has been invaluable to me and I am reassured that I have no need to feel alone whilst undertaking the chemo journey. 

Thanks for the post Louise and I’ll look forward to chatting with you all.

Lots of love

Rach. xxxxx

Hi

I know we wont remember everything about each other but thought I would give a few more details about myself and diagnosis. I am 37 years, married with two boys aged 9 & 11. I was diagnosed 6th January with grade 2 (from biopsy) and unlikely to have lymph node involvement as per scan…This all changed after first surgery on the 26th January as the results showed grade to be 3 and one lymph with macro and one with micromet. I then had clearance on 6th March, results were no further nodes infected.

I did suffer from a haematoma after the initial WLE and this opened my wound which has needed to be packed every second day to ensure I heal from the inside to out. The cavity was initially 7cm when they started packing 4 weeks ago and is now down to 1.5cm, fingers crossed this will be closed in the next two weeks for chemo to start, its all im waiting for and really want to get started!!

I am attending a ’ Look good , feel better’ workshop on tuesday at Leeds.I dont know if anyone has been on one yet but my BCN advised me to go as they are meant to be good, I will let you know.

Ps My treatment is at Doncaster

Take care everyone xxxxxxxxx

Hey Lou, they have offered me cold cap but to be honest I don’t think I’ll go for it. From what I’ve read it just seems to delay the inevitable in list cases and I’ve also seen that you are nut supposed to wash and style your gmfaur yo minimise drop. I have to wash mine every day do would just look hideous anyway. I booked a private wig appt when they told me they were going to do more tests on my lump and bought a wig the day my chemo was confirmed. Def going for the increased water have read do many people say that helps. For me this feels a bit like when i was pregant the first time, terrified as i dudnt kniw what would hapoen and then terrified for the 2nd and third because i did! It’s just the unknown and everyone reacts differently some if us will have a better time than others and we won’t know who until we are on the other side. I am planning to try and work full time through chemo, us anyone else ? I am 45, live in Surrey and am being treated at the Royal Marsden in Sutton, they have been amazing, ironically I worked there a couple if years ago on a temp contract (non medical staff) but never planned on going back as a patient ! There are so many good and bad stories, and for me a serious information overload, I am going to try to focus on the positive. Good luck with your appointment Sxxxxxxx

I think I am! I have been given a choice by the oncologist - surgery then chemo or the other way round. My lump is big, so they suggested chemo first to see whether that would shrink it so I could have a lumpectomy rather than mastectomy. However tests have come back to say that my lump won’t really shrink with chemo (although she said there was a small chance it would) so am back to square one! Have appointment on 2nd of April and they said if I decide chemo - I could probably start the next day.
Love and hugs x x

Im looking to work as well. Dont know if I will manage it, only time will tell. I am also lucky in that my employer is happy for me to work from home whenever I feel I can. Im booking a couple of weeks leave when I have my first chemo though just to see how things roll xx

Hi everyone,

I just typed a reply but this hasn’t seemed to work so I will try again lol!

Having read lists of threads over the last couple of months I thought I would now join in.

I was diagnosed on 29th Jan with grade 3 oestrogen pos 8/8 - Her2 neg, I initially had a lumpectomy on 10th Feb but my results showed lots more in situ and I needed to have a mastectomy, had a double mastectomy on 3rd March (double was my choice due to risk) and I am starting chemo on the 2nd April, mine will also be in 3 week cycles of FEC on Wednesdays.

I have been offered the paxman cold cap which is the one that stays on and you don’t have to swap but they haven’t used that type before so I will be the guinea pig.

I was 36 when diagnosed, I turned 37 in hospital and I have 2 children a 16yr old girl who has moved out to live with her father at the end of last year (she knows it all) and a 7 year old boy.

I’m near Buckingham.

Hi Kirsty mine is also Positive 8/8,we’ll be starting the same day sxx

Hi Kirstie, welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you have found here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here’s a link to the BCC undergoing treatments area of the site where you will find lots more information and support ideas:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Hi ladies

Forgot to mention that I visited the dentist this week and got full check up with X rays as we will not be allowed to have work done through treatment.  When I rang the receptionist said I would be waiting three weeks for a check up but when I explained she got me in within a couple of days.  Also the mouthwash incase of ulcers through treatment was prescribed by dentist (nice as a freebie, got 3 bottles!!) xxxx

Thankyou Amber D for posting. It is so helpful to hear from ladies who have been through it. Hope I can manage the water to flush the chemo through,  3 litres a day I think ?? Xx

Hi Kirstie

Just noticed we are the same age. When I visit the breast care unit everyone seems to be older, I find myself scanning the room for someone of a similar age. Just shows this blighter can get anyone !!

Louise xxx

Just popping in from May Moonbeams (started chemo May 2013)- Best wishes to you all.  Chemo is doable but it does eat up a chunk of your life.  I don’t know where I’d be without sharing with my fellow moonbeams.   Now I am looking forward to going back to work with “different” but interesting hair!  This time last year I was not feeling quite so confident!  Good luck all!

Thanks for the Dentist and flu jab tips ladies, I will get on to that now :slight_smile:

xxxxxxx

I am due to start this Thursday which is only just March so I thought it made more sense to join this group as the March group are on their second round!

Went to the hairdresser today and had my hair couloured and then cut short, also puchased two sun hats, I live in Cyprus, and a head scarf. Am beginning to feel rather anxious now!!!

Hi Ladies

I am an April 2012 Chemo bunny & am writing this at Newark airport on my way back from holiday in the States. Joining this thread & forum will be the best thing you do during treatment. The support I got from my fellow bunnies was invaluable and 18 of us are still in touch, ‘speak’ daily & see each other regularly. Chemo is tough but 2 years on it seems a distant memory. Good luck & take care of each other.

Hugs
S x

Thanks Southpool, just what we need to hear, hope you had a fab holiday !! Xx

Morning Rosie, hope you are well, are you using the cold cap? 

Hey Kirstie, I’m trying the coldcap but im going to have a wig ready and waiting.  Im going to have my hair cut into a bob and buying a wig the same colour and style. I’ve also purchased a few headbands from accessorize which are lovely,  these are to hide my greys if I am lucky enough to keep any hair. Im going to the look good feel better session this afternoon  so will report back later to let you know how it was xx