62328members
328073posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Community Champion

Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

You poor guys suffering sickness! Were you given any anti nausea tablets take these and it should keep the worst at bay! Hope you both feel better soon Tlj63 and Eam28. Do keep drinking plenty of water and eat what you fancy! xx

Morning all, sorry to hear you feel so rotten Tlj63, hope you improve over the next few days. My nausea is stable, mostly OK when I have taken the Meds but as they run out I feel queasy before the next one.
I am also eating very very slowly and take hours to finish a meal.

Day 3 today and I am really tired.
I keep telling myself that I will improve over the next few days and that I have only got to go through this twice more. Not sure it's helping at the moment!

Hang in there, we can get through this!
Wildpurl xx

Morning everyone. Hope you are all feeling better than me. I started being sick on Friday evening and continued through the night. No fun for me or hubby. Thank God the kids where on sleepovers and didn't have to witness it. Still sick in the morning, so trip to A and E for IV fluids and antiemetics. Felt slightly better in the afternoon after a nap, but didn't manage to keep my bowl of soup down and was sick once in the night.
Feel crap and struggling to eat a tiny something so I can take my steroids. I thought I would put weight on having chemo, at this rate I'm going to be nice and slim by the time I've done this 6 times.
I think I'll take my steroids and go back to bed, hoping to feel a bit perkier when I wake up.

Hello all! Every one seems to be doing relatively wellSmiley Happy. My first night of having mine was awful I have to say! Very nauseous - i kept thinking if I could actually be sick then maybe I'd feel better?! Felt very hot one min,shivering the next but that could also be s/e of zoladex injection Tue. Felt a lot better the next day & played out with my little girl & took her for an ice cream etcSmiley Happy. Have learnt to eat little savoury things now & again rather than big meals as can't face & takes me hours to eat! Today was back to feeling yuck again put pushed myself to go out as had wig appt at hairdressers so wanted to get the ball rolling on that & little girl to go to park for a bit. Had a good nap when got bk though when hubby got home. My oncologist said this first half (fec) would be the worst then towards the end on (t) will be easier! Will just have to see & take each day like we all have to xxxx

Hi wildpurl glad you feel okish and hope that has continued for the rest if the day. I do have the option of working from home and will prob do that next Thursday and Friday when immune system is at lowest as there are around 500 people in my building. I'm just gonna go with the flow and see how I feel on a day to day basis. My bcn nurse also said there were lots of people on dec who had minimal side effects. She tells them all to get on forums to spread the word! Hope everyone else is doing well xx

Morning everyone, yesterday afternoon I began feeling nauseous, like I was just getting over car sickness or sea sickness. I didn't throw up or anything but it wiped me out and I couldn't do much and didn't eat much, just drank water. In the evening I took my yellow pill and began feeling better and was fine overnight. I feel OK now and am eating breakfast, have taken anti sickness pill and steroids. Still a bit tired so will take it easy today.
It's good to hear that you are doing so well, Rosie
Suzie68, I am going to work from home some of the time which I think is easier, I don't know if this would be a possibility for you? That said, the lady I sat next to yesterday said she had few symptoms on FEC and worked right through, so you may be the same.

Community Champion

Hi Tij63 that's great that your husband has the first week off I felt a bit out of sorts the first 4 days and rested as much as I needed. Day 9 now and am driving the car, went out for a meal last night and had a bottle of water instead of the usual wine but feeling much more human! I am all set for session 2 hopefully on Thursday!
Hope everyone else is doing ok- a day at a time ladies! x

Good evening ladies - I hope you've all had good days. I'm due to start my chemo next Thursday, and, like everyone, am feeling apprehensive about it. But am very heartened to read all of your experiences about your first goes. Have a good weekend everyone. X xx

Glad it went ok take care sxx

Hi everybody. I've just returned from my 1st chemo as well. I also had problem with cannula, 3 goes to get a vein that didn't run away. But after that everything went well. Hope the next few days are not going to be too bad. My husband has got next week off work, so feeling pretty chilled.
Glad everyone else is coping well. Long may it last.

So glad we are all doing better than we expected, I think the fear of the unknown us the worst. Well done us, stay strong ladies we rock xx
Community Champion

Glad your first one is out of the way Wildpurl do take it easy the first few days you will get tired very easily. Good luck! x

Congrats yes think first is worst and I had candula issues so picc line will be good 16 April. I am now near end of most drugs and had first inject today. Odd have had heartburn and chemist said can happen drugs and digestive system etc that has been since yesterday. Also today was a little bunged up so I plan to keep an eye on that

Try a short walk each day but be ware of this Sahara dessert. !!!

I also booked look good feel better for end of April to be ready for no eye brows etc. good luck with cold cps I decided against it

But overall this week has been pretty good just lots if rest plan to go to work next week and see how it goes

Hi everyone, I am home after my first chemo. I was terrified of how I would feel when the drugs started going in, but I didn't really feel anything. I can't quite believe the first one is over.

The only drama was three attempts to insert cannula, but after that everything was fine. I used the cold cap and can honestly say that it was a weird cold feeling for the first ten minutes and then I didn't notice it any more. I did, as kirstie said, have to keep it on for two hours after the last drug had gone in. Main problem was I needed the loo but made myself wait until the cap was off LOL. You can disconnect and go but of course your head warms up a bit and I had done that once, so decided to tough it out at the end. Next to me was a lady also with the cold cap on her second T so fifth overall. It obviously worked for her. She said she had no realside effects from FEC and found T harder because of the joint pains.

I am feeling OK now and have had some lunch. I have a tablet to take this evening, and anti nausea and steroids to take from tomorrow for three days. I also have the injections which supposedly the District Nurse is coming to give me. I plan to get her to show me how to do them and maybe supervise me doing it myself this time and then do them myself after that if I can.

I'm a bit at a loss what to do now, as I feel OK but don't want to overdo it. I think a mix of resting and small housework jobs should be OK.

How is everyone else doing?

Just fully read Susie's. I got diff from doctor also biotene toothpaste Dentist was useless so went shopping at doctors didn't get all I wanted but have a list prepared from what others found useful. Might try to post later plan to ask to get most on prescription as pharmacist was brilliant explained while good over counter stinger and more efficient via prescription so ask for difflam.

Hi flower - excuse shortening iPhone keeps correcting

I found out I am on highest dose as fast growing tumour. The injects are to keep my white blood cells up 7 days from today may depend in your cancer disgnosis and drug I'm on fec. Plus I'm grade 3 have some tumor in lymph nodes. Did not really hurt just slight sting

Have wierd heartburn still and was slightly constipated oh fun. But overall pretty good.

Have also been walking last few days which helps. Take care and one day at a time. All the best c

Rosie14 have you got warm weather to contend with too ? You sound like you're being sensible. I hate being reined in so its hard for me to sit and relax but I know I have to do it. have a flower shop that is open 7 days a week. I went to buy flowers yesterday and drop them off and I felt better for getting some fresh air. I then rested all afternoon. X

Was awful in the middle of the night but cup of tea and tablets and I was back to sleep in an hour. Metal taste is there plus reflux. Applied for the prescription card and it arrived a couple of days ago. It's a big help and less to worry about prescriptions.

It is a weird journey but doable so far.see if I still feel the same in a weeks time. What are your injections for ? I couldn't inject myself either ! X

Hey Kirsite glad you're ok. I did try to post on here yesterday but it kept disappearing so I gave up. I too was extremely nausaus all of Wednesday night, and felt a bit better yesterday morning so spent the day gardening in the fresh air to take my mind off it and manged to eat a bit of and dinner. This morning I feel pretty normal, as I thnk Ive finally mastered the meds for me althugh I do have flushed cheeks and chest so ive got a bit of a chemo glow that I think goes after a couple of days.

Flowergirl, up to now I have had any more sytems than that, no change in taste, tiredness or mouth sores, although my BCN said they mouth sores may take a week or so as Rosie has just experienced.  You may not get any other systems like me (at the moment!) but I am hoping I stay this way as I am back to work fulltime on Monday until my next session. Rosie I know they can give you a special mouthwash here which is called something like Dillafam???

Well done all and good luck to everyone starting today xxx

Community Champion

Morning all hope you are all feeling ready for the day!

Day 8 for me and one mouth ulcer has appeared, I must really try not to bite it. Not sure whether or not that is down to the chemo. Checked the pillow no hair loss yet! A package has arrived for me in Paphos it is either the hair piece form Heather's Hair or new nightie's orderd from Tesco- exciting!!!!!

Good luck to anyone starting today we are here for you when you get back! x

Community Champion

Flowergirl my husband and I have our own business here in Cyprus I have had to a take a back seat for the last 3 weeks following diagnosis , biopsy and all the other tests. I managed to do some paperwork at home and I also managed a meeting yesterday. Drove the car for the first time yesterday after last Thursday's chemo. Be patient with yourself you will have days when you are really tired and others when you feel almost human. BUT don't overdo it we get one shot at this and we need to make sure we look after ourselves! x

Flowergirl my metal taste went away the next day do good luck with that. Have heartburn now ! Never had it before in terms of things to look forward to tomorrow my partner will inject me as I'm too chicken to do myself.

Recommend get the free prescription card and ask for what you want and need All the best.

I think my next call you for support will be hair loss day but wig has been ordered. Feels like a wierd journey

Hi thanks rosie14.
Thanks for the reply. You sound like you're coping well with it.
I'm hoping it won't be too rough as I have my own business. Your tips will help me, it's good to read all these tips.

Just had strawberries and cream and didn't enjoy it like I usually would ! Sore throat starting so mouthwash here I come.

X
Community Champion

Hi Flowergirl14. I had my first session a week ago and I have just had nausea and tiredness and a metal taste in my mouth- gone off coffee and tea. I find if I eat little and often and drink plenty of soft drinks it helps. Good luck keep visiting this board to find out how others are doing. x

Hi everybody. Great to meet other people going through it.
I had my first one yesterday with cold cap. I was wondering if anybody knows when you are expected to feel worse. I felt a bit sick last night and had a headache and bad nausea this morning but the anti sickness tablet sorted that out.

I'm feeling that if I stay feeling like this then I ll cope but don't want to lull myself into a false sense of security. Any help is much appreciated on what to expect x

It won't be spreading I was worried, these little niggles do pop into your head but you have to try to put your trust in the doctors, it's hard I am a massive control freak, mine was the most aggressive and the doc said about the chemo would do its job, was just being as diplomaticas he could whilst looking at me like I was worrying about something I shouldn't be x

I have downloaded a couple of relaxation apps for free today I thought they would be good to help me sleep, have a look for a few they might help in moments when you think it's getting a bit much, this last wait to start is the hardest xx

Hope u ok, how was tour treatment today? X

Hi, no date yet, the on said time for healing n waiting list?? Don't know? Just tired n achy n hate to think it's spreading! X

Thanks ladies, I just found this blog from a young girl, she gives tips on makeup application and headwear she is an alopecia sufferer. She gives cheap solutions - not all of it may be relevant to all of you but I'm sure some of it will be good - anyway thought I'd post http://eyelineher.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/video
I

Mummy crow I was 3 weeks wait too, I know it feels like ages to wait and I asked doctor what if it spreads in that time mind was stage 3, he said chemo would do its job as thats the whole point of it, but its very very unlikely it would spread x I know you will have it there in the back of your mind but wildpurl is right they know their stuff and hey don't mess about, remember your on the right road, the week before you start you will find you will have lots to do and it will fly past x

And well done kirstie it sounds as though you are doing well Smiley Happy

Mummycrow my op was on 10th Jan, then 5 weeks to heal, then 2 weeks to get onc appt then 3 weeks to start chemo. I was on hormone treatment until 3 weeks ago though. It seems a long time but I agree with the others that all the risks are weighed up and they know what the safety margins are. Im sure you will be fine !
Community Champion

Oh Well done Kirstie! Its a relief to get one down. It has now been a week for me and the worst thing has been the tiredness. Just keep eating and drinking every few hours and time will pass! x

Congrats Kirstie at least the first scary one is out the way. I considered the cold cap but decided against so hats off to you for giving it a go. This week up down for me just trying to work out pattern. Given the amazing support my partner is giving me we are both trying to rest when we need it ! Men are amazing I could not wish for more from mine.

Hope you feel better as week goes on. C

Hi ladies,
After I had my treatment yesterday you have to wait to 2 hrs with the cold cap so be prepared. It is deffo doable I wore the cap the whole time, near the end my husband was hot so opened the window for 10mins on the quiet - the thoughtful sole and I got very cold very quickly inside and was shivering lots they got me blankets and a hot wheat pack and dried my hair but it took a while to settle, because I have seem to have a bug as well my temp spiked again so I didn't get to leave until 6pm, I think they thought about keeping me in. This has put me off using the cap again because of the extra hassle, I have antibiotics to take at home so that will all be sorted, Just shows how much a little bug can do though so stay sensible ladies, (I went to my nieces birthday on Saturday and heard one of the mums say her child was sick on Friday but had been fine since, I should have left !) I thought I would be okay lesson learnt - nothing is going to kick me off track !!!

So It did make me feel pretty sick tho last night, and pretty washed out BUT I'm fine today so was obv more to do with the bug.

My mouth was dry last night and is still dry today, I had to pop to the loo a few times too in the night because of all the fluids. I have had some melon and avocado and a banana over the course of the morning and plan of having some soup later. I feel okay, although to be honest I didn't really expect to feel much until tomorrow.

They give you plenty of pills to take home I was surprised I have 8 to take today inc antibiotics but its all good, and I took Rosie's advice and made sure I'm taking them all (as instructed), and it seems to be working x

Good luck ladies xxxx

Mummycrow, I also had bilateral on 4th March and haven't had date for the start of my chemo yet, although I have been told it should be sometime in April.

My surgeon started me on Tamoxifen 2 weeks after the op when they realised that my wound wouldn't be healed in the near future.

I'm sure that it's right what EAM28 says though that they weigh it all up and know what is safe.

I know that it's a worry but we have to trust that they know what they are doing. 

I hope that you get a date soon too. 

Is there any particular reason why you haven't had a date yet?

xxxxxx

Auw at least you have a date now loulou1262!Smiley Happy
Mummycrow I had my op 5wks ago & due to start chemo today - I was getting pretty anxious too! But I suppose they weigh it all up & know what's safe. Still can't help getting impatient though I know! Good luck hope you get a date soon xxx

Hi girls, I saw the oncologist on Tues 1st n she said it will be about 3 weeks till I start chemo etc, I had a bilateral n all lymph removal on the 25th Feb, I'm worried that there is a big gap between op n treatment? Have any of you waited this long? Help, getting anxious! Angie

Morning ladies

Start date for me is the 17th (fingers crossed)... thought it might be next week but surgeon wants a little longer for my wound to fully heal. 

Well done to all tge ladies who have started and good luck to all starting this week. 

Positive starts so far which is great xxxxxx

Community Champion

Good luck tomorrow and Wildpurl and to anyone else starting this week.! x

Thank you rosie14 ct scan went well. Takes ages & was dying for a wee! Just hope its all clear - should find out Mon. Had arm drained for the 5th time & two fillings at the dentist so all good for tomorrow I hope!Smiley Happy
Glad to hear suzie68 & kirstie77 also books&wine? found it good today!Smiley Happy. Hope you both have a good night & don't feel it too much in the next few days.
I know what you mean tlj63 & kirstie77 - I bought a few little bottles of anti bac gel at the wkend too along with some nail strengthener & mouthwash to see if any of it helps!
I hope loulou1262 & ellie47 can start treatment along with me tomorrowSmiley Happy. I'm just hoping my bloods & arm will allow me!
Catch up soon ladies,take care xxxx

Hi everyone.

My appointment with oncologist was cancelled yesterday, and I am booked in for a skin graft next Tuesday, so I still have no start date for my chemo yet. I too just want to get it started so it can finish quicker!

Good luck to everyone who is having their first session this week and well done to those who have already started for being so positive for the rest of us Smiley Happy

Keep well everyone Smiley Happy

Rach xxxxxxxx

All was well, I am OK to go ahead on Friday *gulp*
I saw the chemo suite and the cold cap, which is a Dignicap rather than a Paxman. I feel happier now I have talked things through and know what is going to happen. I was told I would have the injections to boost white cell production, she said that this is done for everyone (at least at this hospital) to avoid delays if people get to the next cycle and have too low a white cell count, at which point they have injections but have to wait before their next cycle can start.

Good luck to everyone having their first chemo tomorrow!

Hi just popped in from august Maisie's so chemo finished, I used the cold cap and although lost a lot of hair after first treatment it slowed down, went a lot thinner but managed not to use wig had to learn to style hair,differently but kept a lot of my hair, but anyway just something that may help with the cold, try drinking hot soup as soon as they put the cap on and take paracetamol 20 minutes before. Hope this helps and good luck

Yeah let's hope so but making the most of it for now! How's you get in Kirste?
Community Champion

Well done Suzie hope all goes smoothly in the next few days!

An yes have turned into even more of clean freak and have antibacterial pump by front door

Hey ladies just wanted to reassure those of you that haven't started yet that it was an absolute breeze. Took less than 2 hours from start to finish and that included having obs done and seeing pharmacist for anti sickness to bring home. They gave a anti sickness pill that they said took 20 mins to work, put in the cannula and then gave anti sickness injection into it, bizarrely it gave pins and needles in my bottom, a bit like sting nettles nurse said this is normal and it only lasts for have injection. Then had the FEC and waited another 20 mins while they flushed me through with saline. I feel absolutely fine but will see what's the coming days bring. I didn't want cold cap as I don't see the point (for me) so should be bald as my hubby by the end of the month. 1 down 5 to go. 😃

Hi wild purl, I hadn't really thought about all the pills I would have to take and I have to have an injection tomorrow to boost my immune system but she said I can do it myself to save me coming back in so that's good. We are going to be pro's soon. I have learnt so much already, especially about what not to say to someone who has it lol ! Don't worry about the cold too much as I really thought thy were going to cancel on me today, the nurse even said so but the doctor then said it would be fine.

Tlj63 I know what you mean, the waiting is the hardest part but it will be here before you know it and then you feel like you have something to do x I have been sending my husband to chemist to buy the hand sanitizer hey use in the clinic's so you are not alone, I also cleaned he fridge out yesterday and told my husband about the food storage protocol !

I need to get a head scarf even if it is for around the house I better get looking.

Other than that I got through the whole session and still have the cap on as we speak you really do get used to it !

Good luck ladies xxx we are all pretty amazing !

Community Champion

Wildpurl -Hope all went well with the chemo sister and that you are able to start on Friday the sooner it starts the sooner it will finish! x

Hope everyone is feeling chipper this morning. My hair cut seemed to take hours yesterday, but I'm quite pleased with end result and have had a few complements, so quite happy. I wish my chemo was starting today, just want to get going. I'm not the most patient person at the best of times.
Is everyone becoming neurotic about cleanliness? I'm making my kids wash their hands when they come home from school and I haven't even started the chemo yet! I think I will have to invest in industrial quantities of hand cream to stop my hands falling apart if I keep washing them at this rate.
My head scarf parcel still hasn't arrived, hoping today will be the day or I will be getting worried it's got lost in the post.
It's really comforting to hear that everyone is coping so far. We can do this. Role on August( she says impatiently)!