358209posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Highlighted

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hope all goes well for you today.. I'm due to start this week or early next so any info would be great..good or bad xx
Highlighted

Hi CathC

I have first one at 2 this afternoon, i know what you mean about dreaming about it.

My face is bright red this morning, think it must be steroids, didnt get much sleep either so feel a bit spaced out.

Cant wait until it is over to be honest, ill let you know xx

Good luck to all having chemo today/this week xx

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Just wanted to wish everyone luck if they're going through/starting chemo this week.

I don't start till next Tuesday and the nerves are starting to kick in - I'm actually dreaming about having chemo. At this rate I'll have had all my sessions before I even start. lol 

I guess the chemo will be like everything else on this journey, the unknown is more frightening than the reality. 

Hugs to all

Cath

Highlighted

Joanne, I really feel for you, but it will get better, ok it never goes away and I still get panic attacks as I am sure most of us do, I hate the thought of all these drugs in my body too but feel we have to give it the best shot at getting rid of this demon, having the chemo doesn't hurt and you will find the nurses are really kind, I find that a few days after the chemo I feel down and weepy, but then have a couple of really positive weeks, all side effects are manageable. I had short hair and had is cut even shorter before treatment, I decided not to have cold cap because I didn't want to be at the hospital any longer than need be, but I know cold cap has worked for others so maybe it's an option for you, my hair started to fall out 2 weeks after 1st chemo and that got me down, plus my scalp was sore so my husband shaved it all off for me and surprisingly it was such a relief. Ok it's not great being bald but it's not as bad as you imagine, I wear a beanie hat around the house and my wig to go out in, I am still not keen on my wig but am getting used to it, the 2 things I am looking forward to is finishing chemo and my hair starting to grow back. Just keep posting on this site and others will support you and you will find the strength to cope, try not to push your family and friends away, sometimes they will say the wrong things but they mean well. Hugs Cassa x
Highlighted

Hi cassa, thank you for your reply, I don't even like to take pain killers at the best of time so think the main thing is being scared of all this stuff in my body and feeling out of control of it,
Also I keep lying in bed and having panic attacks about being bald, I no I shouldn't care about the hair side of it.

Joanne xxx
Highlighted

Hi Laurelle, good Luck for Monday you have really been through the mill but you seem to be giving all you have got, so stay in there, please post how you get on. I am from the May 2014 thread had 2 Fec 3rd due on Wednesday followed by 3 Tax with Herceptin and then radiotherapy, so probably not unsimular to how you started in 2011, I really hope you get some positive results and come to the end of your treatment soon. Joanne I cannot stress on how much support I have received from this forum, you are not alone and it will get better, so far I have not had many side effects and struggle more mentally if anything and it's the waiting game that's so hard. Good Luck and best wishes to all the ladies on this thread. Hugs Cassa x
Highlighted

@laurelle wrote:

hi cath, was hoping to start chemo soon but my skin is now breaking down and my onc says the next step is some radiotherapy so don't know what that's suppose to achieve really but hopefully I'll find out on Monday.

Had a couple of really 'down days' this week feeling frightened and panicky but today had a girly retail therapy day so bring it on!!

It's lovely to be able to share feelings with others who understand completely.

Thanks.

Hi, laurelle

There's always more questions than answers, isn't there. Here' s hoping you find yours on Monday.

And I love the idea of a girly retail day - sounds like the perfect pick-me-up.

Hope your appointment goes well on Monday..

Big hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Hi Wendy,  Yes, I've had 3 lots of chemo since 2011,  FEC, Taxoterre and Capecetabine and have been really fortunate not to have had too many side effects apart from fatigue and food having no taste. I always

thought fatigue was just tiredness, WRONG!  it's totally draining isn't it and can last a day or two.

Apparently Kadcyla is approved to treat HER2 positive after prior treatment with Herceptin where the cancer has spread.  Anyway I'm hoping to  get some answers this week as my head is all over the place at the moment.

Bye for now,

Laurelle  x

Highlighted

Hi joanne just the word cancer scares us to death you are not alone its just a word put on your boots and as hunnybunny says get that gremlin gone.my family have been great just let yours do the same for you dont push them out.as for the treatment its ok you will be fine at my 1 st I was scared in my 2 nd I said bring it on the staff really take care of you chin up and good luck sheila
Highlighted

Hi hbunny,  I've been through FEC, Taxoterre and thought I was doing well on Capecetabine but the skin has started breaking down so cap had stopped working.  My onc said he would put me onKadcyla but now he's decided  to try radiotherapy so am just keeping my fingers crossed. We don't have much option do we, can only trust that they're doing their best for us.

lovely to hear from you

Laurelle

Highlighted

hi cath, was hoping to start chemo soon but my skin is now breaking down and my onc says the next step is some radiotherapy so don't know what that's suppose to achieve really but hopefully I'll find out on Monday.

Had a couple of really 'down days' this week feeling frightened and panicky but today had a girly retail therapy day so bring it on!!

It's lovely to be able to share feelings with others who understand completely.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi unfunny, I really do hope so I can get to how you are feeling I am just totally numb and feel i am just pushing everyone away but feel so alone and need them, it's not fair on them and I feel guilty about that. Xxxx
Highlighted

@Joanne76 wrote:
Here goes,

I have been on here reading for hours and amazed by everyone's positivity.
I am sitting here alone after turning down all offers from family and friens to go out.
Since dx iv had operation, with clear margins and clear nodes, grade 3.
I have app to talk about chemo next week.
I find it really hard just talking about that I have this (hence pushing people away)
I am so scared about this treatment and how I will cope with it especially when I am already in the state I am, just wonder and praying that I will be able to muster the courage and positivity that you all seem to have.

Joanne 38 xxx

Hi, Joanne

Great news on the clear margin. I also had clear margins, and grade 3. Just got an app to start my chemo on 8th July, so trying to learn as much as I can from the wonderful women on here.

I too never left the house for the first few days after diagnoses. I needed some time to get my head around the fact that I have cancer. I'm not sure I have even yet, it seems so surreal. As others have said, one step at a time. The operations, chemo, rads, tablets, are all there to help us, even though it might not feel it at the time.

Being able to talk to people here, in a way we can't talk to our love ones, is a blessing.

Good luck with your appointment next week.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@needhelp wrote:
Hi cath the injections I have to do are to help me fight off infections as my white cells were far to low.a few ladies on the forum are doing them and have said they are fine anything that helps I will take it.my session went fine yest put my gloves on before I went so they could get the canula in and it works.had bad nt lastnt same as after my 1 st sess went to bed at 11 and woke up at 2 and you are wide awake tossed for a few hours got up at 6 will have a nap later.the only bad side affect iI have had is ulcers and sore mouth take care and good luck sheila

Hi Sheila

Thanks for answering my questions. I agree, if it helps, then it's worth doing. Are the gloves to keep your hands warm to get the needle in? I'm so glad it was easier this time. 

Gentle hugs.

Cath

Highlighted

@Sodastream wrote:
Hi hbunny I read your post about freezing the pineapple to suck on in chemo. I did this the first session and by the end my tongue was a little rough and beginning to get frostbite. The only problem with me is I had two more pineapple at home to eat to get rid of the metallic taste but every time I looked at them I associated them with chemo and felt sick so had to chuck them away. The second time I sucked on the icicles that you buy and then freeze yourself which was better on the tongue. The first round of chemo I got 2 mouth ulcers one on each side of my cheek. The second time I got 2 on my tongue and 2 right up in the gum socket. I've just had my third chemo without sucking on ice to experiment if it makes a difference and will let you know.

Hi, Sodastream

Thanks for the info about the pineapple. I had heard that sucking mints would help with the taste, which seems to be one everyone gets. The ulcers also don't sound like much fun.

Do let us know how you get on with the ice-less trial.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Hi Joanne, welcome to our horrid club, and well done for taking the first step in letting out the emotions.  I didn't go anywhere or do anything for the first week or so after my op. clear margins with 1 lymph node infected, but as soon as I did it got easier, although this is still the place I let it all out knowing that all the ladies out there have been there or going through similar.

Clear margins and nodes is great news, you got the blighter early and is highly cureable.  The chemo is scary but I'm only thinking one session at a time.  Have a look on the other chemo threads with tips of how to get through it and you can at least feel a little prepared.  Each session is a step towards a long and happy future. I'm trying to look at chemo as a friend not a foe (although not easy) it might just feel different when I get started and I know it wont be easy but we will both get through it, you are not alone.  Keep posting and stay strong.  Love hbunny xx

Highlighted

Hi sheila, just wondering what the glove thing is about in relation to the canula? Not heard of that one before.  Thanks. Hbunny

Highlighted

Here goes,

I have been on here reading for hours and amazed by everyone's positivity.
I am sitting here alone after turning down all offers from family and friens to go out.
Since dx iv had operation, with clear margins and clear nodes, grade 3.
I have app to talk about chemo next week.
I find it really hard just talking about that I have this (hence pushing people away)
I am so scared about this treatment and how I will cope with it especially when I am already in the state I am, just wonder and praying that I will be able to muster the courage and positivity that you all seem to have.

Joanne 38 xxx
Highlighted

I know, don't think the cold cap is,even an option at Shrewsbury. I know i might feel differently when the time comes but at least loosing the hair isn't painful or makes you sick, i suppose its because its so obvious that everyone makes it such a big deal, but hay that's what wigs ate for😇 kee the positive thoughts hbunny
Highlighted

Hi cath the injections I have to do are to help me fight off infections as my white cells were far to low.a few ladies on the forum are doing them and have said they are fine anything that helps I will take it.my session went fine yest put my gloves on before I went so they could get the canula in and it works.had bad nt lastnt same as after my 1 st sess went to bed at 11 and woke up at 2 and you are wide awake tossed for a few hours got up at 6 will have a nap later.the only bad side affect iI have had is ulcers and sore mouth take care and good luck sheila
Highlighted

Thanks for that sodastream, i would be really interested to know how you get on without the ice. Good luck and keep well. Hbunny
Highlighted

Hi hbunny I read your post about freezing the pineapple to suck on in chemo. I did this the first session and by the end my tongue was a little rough and beginning to get frostbite. The only problem with me is I had two more pineapple at home to eat to get rid of the metallic taste but every time I looked at them I associated them with chemo and felt sick so had to chuck them away. The second time I sucked on the icicles that you buy and then freeze yourself which was better on the tongue. The first round of chemo I got 2 mouth ulcers one on each side of my cheek. The second time I got 2 on my tongue and 2 right up in the gum socket. I've just had my third chemo without sucking on ice to experiment if it makes a difference and will let you know.
Highlighted

@hbunny wrote:

Hi sheila. Good to hear your 2nd is now done and dusted, hope you have a weekend free from side effects - keep taking the temperature, do you take it everywhere you go or would that be obsessive?  Hope to have a start date on Tuesday, when I go for my chemo assessment, won't be happy if it's longer than a week.

Here's to an uneventful weekend  sheila.  Stay well. Hbunny.   Xx

Hi, (again) hbunny

Keeping my fingers crossed you get a start date on Tuesday.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@needhelp wrote:
Hi hunnybunny well thats my 2 nd 1 out of the way it was ok.my nxt is july 18 th so you should be on your way by then I just want that 1 out of the way then its half way wishing my life away arnt i.i have to start my injections on tues for 5 days must be better got a good spare tyre to put it in so will b ok.still watchin my temp wont let that happen again.have you found out yet when you start your chemo.take care sheila

Guess I should have read on down the thread before replying to your last post, needhelp. LOL. I was away for a couple of days and the amount of posts is amazing. I was so used to the other boards being quite slow.

Can I ask...what are the injections for?

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@laurelle wrote:

Hi Laurelle here, new member on the forum hopefully starting 3rd different type of chemo in July.  Is anyone on Kadcyla?  I believe it's a new one and just hope it stops the little wretch from spreading further.  Have lost my hair twice and have 2 brilliant NHS wigs that surprise everyone when they find out it's not my own hair!  I'm also due to have an implantable port as my veins are really bad now so at the moment feel totally fed up but it's lovely to see how everyone is so supportive of each other on the forum.  Upwards and onwards eh!!

Hi, laurelle

3rd bout of chemo!! Wow, you really have been though the ringer, and yet you still sound up-beat. Haven't heard of Kadcyla, sorry. You have a date yet for starting?

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@hbunny wrote:

Hi cathc,  yes you are right just different drugs, but don't ask what, I read the info and promptly filed them. I think the pineapple helps because of the bromalaine digestive enzyme content, or at least that's my theory and the sucking ice cubes whilst having chemo is supposed to work in the same way the cold cap does, not allowing the drugs penetrate the cold areas.  Seems to work anyway.

Can't wait to start zapping the blighters, will worry about side effects as and when, but having too much time to think isn't good.  Take care. Hunny

Hi, hbunny

I like your attitude, Feel exactly the same way. Let's get the little blighters and worry later.

They haven't mentioned the cold cap to me at the hosptial, and after reading some posts on it here I doubt whether I would take it, if it were offered. If the hair has to go, then the hair has to go.

Cath

Highlighted

@needhelp wrote:
Hi cath yes the pineapple is great but not if you get ulcers and sore tounge but that passes I drank plenty milk went off tea.they give you loads mouthwash and it helps.i felt realy good in my wig it is nearly same as my own hair.at home I just wear a bandana for comfort.just make sure you keep takin your temp and you will be fine.i go fri for my 2 nd cant wait till my 3 rd then I am halfway there.chin up and dont be scared they are great good.luck sheila

Hi, needhelp

Thanks for the info. I hope your second session went well yesterday. You're almost half-way there!

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Hi sheila. Good to hear your 2nd is now done and dusted, hope you have a weekend free from side effects - keep taking the temperature, do you take it everywhere you go or would that be obsessive?  Hope to have a start date on Tuesday, when I go for my chemo assessment, won't be happy if it's longer than a week.

Here's to an uneventful weekend  sheila.  Stay well. Hbunny.   Xx

Highlighted

Hi hunnybunny well thats my 2 nd 1 out of the way it was ok.my nxt is july 18 th so you should be on your way by then I just want that 1 out of the way then its half way wishing my life away arnt i.i have to start my injections on tues for 5 days must be better got a good spare tyre to put it in so will b ok.still watchin my temp wont let that happen again.have you found out yet when you start your chemo.take care sheila
Highlighted

Hi Laurelle

Welcome to the July thread.

Your 3rd type of chemo??? oh no!! Sorry i cant help with Kadcyla either, im sure somenone must have heard of it.

Hope we can support each other along the way, if this is your 3rd time you must have lots of tips, or have i picked that up wrong.

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi Laurelle, welcome to the July thread.  Blimey not heard of kadcyla, is this part of your regeime, or have they changed the drugs for some reason, or your 3rd time around (certainly hope not)?  Whichever you have come to the right forum for support and sharing of the bad days.  I'm sure someone out there will have some more info on your drug and will be along soon.  In the meantime keep pushing that elephant up the hill.  Look after yourself.  Hugs hbunny

Highlighted

Hi Laurelle here, new member on the forum hopefully starting 3rd different type of chemo in July.  Is anyone on Kadcyla?  I believe it's a new one and just hope it stops the little wretch from spreading further.  Have lost my hair twice and have 2 brilliant NHS wigs that surprise everyone when they find out it's not my own hair!  I'm also due to have an implantable port as my veins are really bad now so at the moment feel totally fed up but it's lovely to see how everyone is so supportive of each other on the forum.  Upwards and onwards eh!!

Highlighted

Hi cathc,  yes you are right just different drugs, but don't ask what, I read the info and promptly filed them. I think the pineapple helps because of the bromalaine digestive enzyme content, or at least that's my theory and the sucking ice cubes whilst having chemo is supposed to work in the same way the cold cap does, not allowing the drugs penetrate the cold areas.  Seems to work anyway.

Can't wait to start zapping the blighters, will worry about side effects as and when, but having too much time to think isn't good.  Unfortunately there are far too many of us offering and needing support.  take care.  Hbunny

Highlighted

Can't wait to start zapping the blighters, will worry about side effects as and when, but having too much time to think isn't good.  Take care. Hunny

Highlighted

Hi sheila, good to hear you are doing ok.  Still no start date for me, but assuming it will be week starting 7th, fingers crossed, will feel much better when 1st is out of the way.  You will be a third of the way through on Friday.  I'm glad the pineapple helped, I was thinking of freezing some fresh chunks to suck during chemo instead of ice cubes/lollies, but not sure how they would hold up so will try tonight and let you know.

Good to hear from the children's charity after your donation, that must have made you feel really good. Well onwards and upwards, will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Take care. Hbunny

Highlighted

Hi cath yes the pineapple is great but not if you get ulcers and sore tounge but that passes I drank plenty milk went off tea.they give you loads mouthwash and it helps.i felt realy good in my wig it is nearly same as my own hair.at home I just wear a bandana for comfort.just make sure you keep takin your temp and you will be fine.i go fri for my 2 nd cant wait till my 3 rd then I am halfway there.chin up and dont be scared they are great good.luck sheila
Highlighted

@WP23 wrote:

Hi lovewine

Thanks so much for your reassurance.

It is very scarey not knowing how we will react and the not knowing causes lots of anxious moments.

It is good to know that others have been there and come out the other side or are getting through their treatments.

Trying to stay as positive as i can at the moment, but will be glad when the first one is over on Monday

Take care

Wendy xx

Good luck for Monday, Wendy.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@needhelp wrote:
Hi hunnybunny how are you not long now before you start your chemo.am doing much better now mouth getting back to normal eating.loads pineapple to refresh my mouth.been out today to the dentist had my wig on for 1 st time it felt ok.can you remember me saying that I donated my hair to childrens cancer well they sent me a certificate to say thank you was well chuffed. Good luck for your chemo you will be fine they realy look after you got my 2 nd on fri then 4 more 2 go.take care sheila

Does pineapple really help with your mouth? I'm kinda dreading that aspect of the treatment. Also worried about the wigs - how do you find it? 

Sorry to fire all these questions at you, needhelp, but it such a boon to talk to people actually going through this.

Stay well.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@Lovewine wrote:
Also forgot to say , my husband comes with me to chemo, I think when you feel so vulnerable it's a personal choice, it's very reassuring having someone sat next to you whilst having treatment.

Our hospital is about an hours journey, so my husband has been driving me to and from all my appointments. While it's nice to have him at my side, I worry it's too much for him - he's not well either.

Have to admit, though, it's nice to have someone at my side.

Cath

Highlighted

@Lovewine wrote:
Hi ladies, jumping in from April thread and due to have chemo 5 tomorrow, I too was beyond terrified whilst sat in waiting room waiting to go in for first chemo and nearly fainted with fright, I can honestly say if was not a bad experience in anyway- atmosphere is very calm, nurses talk to you all of the time, it only takes about 45 mins ( Fec and an hour for Tax) there is no discomfort and I wondered why I got into such a state!!l other ladies have said not everyone gets side effects and if you do they are easily controlled with anti sickness etc
I am working still part time , walk my dogs every day and try to be as normal as possible!!
Good luck with your first one everyone and remember it's not as bad as you think and certainly not like you see on the t,v ! Xx

Thanks for the reassurance, Lovewine. I suppose it's easy to focus on the negative aspects of chemo, nice to hear it's not as bad as I fear.

Good luck with your 5th treatment.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@hbunny wrote:

Hi cathc, welcome to the July thread. I think we will be hitting the trail at the same time so glad for the shared support.  What chemo are you having - me it's the fec-t x3 of each, so should be finished mid November all being well, followed by radio but not even going there yet. One hurdle at a time.  This week cant go quick enough for me, just want to get on with it.

Good luck. Hbunny

Hi, hbunny

Sounds like we will be working to the same timeline. I'm not sure I know the difference between all the different chemo treatments. For instance I'm having FEC-100 and you're having fec-t? I'm guessing it's just the different drugs they use?

So glad to have the suport of others during this stage in my treatment.

Cath

Highlighted

@WP23 wrote:

Hi CathC

Wecome to July thread. Not where we want to be but hasto be done.

Do you know which chemo you are having?

I am having taxotere and cyclophosphamide x 4 sessions.

Hope we can help each other along the journey xx

Wendy

Hi, Wendy

Thanks for the welcome.

My chemo is FEC-100 x 6 sessions.

Cath

Highlighted

Hi lovewine

Thanks so much for your reassurance.

It is very scarey not knowing how we will react and the not knowing causes lots of anxious moments.

It is good to know that others have been there and come out the other side or are getting through their treatments.

Trying to stay as positive as i can at the moment, but will be glad when the first one is over on Monday

Take care

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi hunnybunny how are you not long now before you start your chemo.am doing much better now mouth getting back to normal eating.loads pineapple to refresh my mouth.been out today to the dentist had my wig on for 1 st time it felt ok.can you remember me saying that I donated my hair to childrens cancer well they sent me a certificate to say thank you was well chuffed. Good luck for your chemo you will be fine they realy look after you got my 2 nd on fri then 4 more 2 go.take care sheila
Highlighted

Also forgot to say , my husband comes with me to chemo, I think when you feel so vulnerable it's a personal choice, it's very reassuring having someone sat next to you whilst having treatment.
Highlighted

Hi ladies, jumping in from April thread and due to have chemo 5 tomorrow, I too was beyond terrified whilst sat in waiting room waiting to go in for first chemo and nearly fainted with fright, I can honestly say if was not a bad experience in anyway- atmosphere is very calm, nurses talk to you all of the time, it only takes about 45 mins ( Fec and an hour for Tax) there is no discomfort and I wondered why I got into such a state!!l other ladies have said not everyone gets side effects and if you do they are easily controlled with anti sickness etc
I am working still part time , walk my dogs every day and try to be as normal as possible!!
Good luck with your first one everyone and remember it's not as bad as you think and certainly not like you see on the t,v ! Xx
Highlighted

Im putting together a booklet on tips during treatments for breast cancer. There is so much good advice out there but no one place to get it. Once booklet is designed i will contact the charities and ask them to put on their sites. Im just going through chemo so have surgery rads and hormone therapy to come so would be great to have tips and hints ready.
This is such a big job and impossible to do on my own. I have create a facebook group called tip and hints for bc which is a closed group to get all the tips on and then document can be designed. I have too much time on my hands but please let me know if i am trying to create the wheel but as far as i can tell there isn't an existing document or if someone else trying to do we could join forces.

I also want to do a section on funny stories that have happened to people to give people a laugh and any positive things to cheer people up. I had a bird poo on my hairless head yesterday and it actually really hurt because i had no hair to soften the blow and even though its disgusting it made me laugh after i was having such a crappy day.

Also maybe a page of useful websites and facebook groups as its took me two months to get where i am and still finding new things everyday. Some facebook groups i have come by, by chance and they are so helpful.

If you have anything to contribute or suggestions on a section please reply or pm me, or even if you want to help. Also mention if you are happy to have your name added or if you want to be kept anon.

Please share this with as many people as you can
Highlighted

Hi cathc, welcome to the July thread. I think we will be hitting the trail at the same time so glad for the shared support.  What chemo are you having - me it's the fec-t x3 of each, so should be finished mid November all being well, followed by radio but not even going there yet. One hurdle at a time.  This week cant go quick enough for me, just want to get on with it.

Good luck. Hbunny

Highlighted

Oh you do sound busy and like me need to feel in control of something, getting sorted! Good luck and speak soon. Hbunny

Highlighted

Hi CathC

Wecome to July thread. Not where we want to be but hasto be done.

Do you know which chemo you are having?

I am having taxotere and cyclophosphamide x 4 sessions.

Hope we can help each other along the journey xx

Wendy