cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Highlighted

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hi All

Sorry about the confusion re chemo July start. I didn't see this thread b4 I started another :-(.

I have Invasive ductal CA (IDC) 4mm. No node invasion, HER2 positive and ER pos,grade 3. Left mastectomy on April 28th.

My chemo starts on the 9th July. It will be good to share experiences. Thanking the June chemo group. You have all been so helpful and I wil be keeping in touch with you also. 

Good luck All. 

Highlighted

Hi Hbunny

Hope all goes well for you today, I'll be thinking of you. Glad I have missed out on much by not having the pre assessment look around, like you I've picked up loads of tips from here but still can't really imagine how it will be as sounds like everyone has different experiences!

Hugs, Karen

Highlighted

Hi horsesleave, nice to see you back, sometimes it's good to have a break from thinking about what's ahead. I'm sure you are and will be as brave and determined as everyone else on this site. I think we are all hero's, but we also have bad days/weeks.  Being a control freek, the only way I can prepare is to gather as much info, both good and bad as I can and analyse every tiny detail, which also isn't always good either, but somehow we will get through one session at a time.

Have you planned the rose garden yet?

Sending loves, bunny. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Karen, that's a real shame your assessment was  cancelled. Although I didn't really learn anything more than I have picked up by reading this sight, it was good to meet staff and to come home with piles of reading.  Most of the time was spent going through side effects and what to do, who to contact.  The rest of the the time was spent with a tour of the unit and therapy centre they have at Shrewsbury. However im sure you will get all the info you need on Friday.  Maybe write down all your questions before you go as there will be a lot to take in when you are stressed to start with.

Good luck Karen on Friday, I will post tomorrow to let you know how my first went.

Sending hugs. Hbunny xx

Highlighted

Not been on here for a bit as I wanted to pretend none of this was happening for a week. I'm shallow, I know.
Had the picc line put in arm today, bit ouchy and what a lot of hassle, waiting around. It was like a labyrinth in Addenbrookes hospital, even the staff looked lost.
I have been sat wading through the posts, what a brave group of ladies we all are. Well you all are, not sure about me, feeling a bit cowardly about chemo on the 10th but reading everyones experiences is making me prepare. Can anything prepare you for this though? Probably not.
Highlighted

Hi

I'm due to start first of six chemo on Friday - FEC-T, reassuring to read some of the posts and realise that others have same concerns as me. don't really know what to expect as my pre chemo visit was cancelled as they are too busy so in at the deep end on Friday!

Highlighted

Thanks for all your good wishes, will keep you updated and good luck to anyone else starting tomorrow.  Love hbunny xx

Highlighted

Hey CathC, thanks, forgot about prunes, I love them and the prune juice, yum.  Now that's a positive for me. Hbunny

Highlighted

Wishing you luck for tomorrow, hbunny. I know you must be nervous, but as you said, at least you don't have weeks to worry about it.

Please let us know how it goes for you tomorrow. Will be thinking about you.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Hi, JuSt and Wendy

I've heard constipation can be a real problem throughout chemo. I know I was quite bad after my op (another lovely side-effect) and I found prunes helped. Yucky to eat, but they did work. Might be worth trying if nothing else helps.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@JuSt wrote:

Hi Cath,

Just wanted to wish you good luck for next Tuesday - hope all goes well for you.

Keep us informed,

Best wishes,

JuSt

x

Thanks, JuSt. It's so nice to know I'm not alone in this journey. 

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Hi bunny on your way at last I am sure you will be fine the nurses are great.i had my 2 nd fec last fri went ok but feeling realy tired just now sleeping most if the time my energy levels are at o just now.i started my inj yest not to bad have to do them for 5 days.my appitite is awful just dont fancy anything at all.had a bit if constipation so takin lactolose.i still have a skinhead cant understand why no more has fell out head or body I suppose it will.anyway good luck for 2 mrw and take care sheila.
Highlighted

Hi JuSt

Thanks ill be ordering a prescription if nothing happens by tomorrow!!!

Second injection done, was easier this time, have started to have some aches and pains this afternoon, not bad enough for painkillers (yet)!!

I still have my son here and hubby of course, so wont be lonely.

Take Care

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi hbunny

It is so hard going for the first treatment but it is over before you know it because the staff talk you through everything. It is the not knowing that continues to play with our minds.

Hope all goes well for you and you keep well throughout, keep in touch.

Thanks for the constipation advice 🙂

Take care

Wendy xx
Highlighted

Hi Wendy,

Called in at my GP's earlier (which is also my place of work) and was given a prescription for Movicol to start tonight if still no action! Have been drinking plenty, some orange juice, wholegrain bread & cereals, fruit & veg etc but think I may need the additional meds - just advised to take 1 or 2 a day as needed to 'start things off'.

I've had my second injection today, given by district nurses - don't think I could do it myself so you're very brave doing that - well done!

Sorry to hear your family are banned because of granddaughter's infection and hope you don't get lonely/bored.

Take care

JuSt

x

Highlighted

Hi everyone, just touching base following chemo assessment this am. Starting 1st FEC tomorrow. Although cant wait to get this started just beginning to feel a bit apprehensive, at least wont have a week counting down the days. Good luck to all and hope everyone keeps well.
ps ditto re constapation info greatly received. I always find pumpkin seeds and pine nuts fo the job for me, good sprinkled on cereal or yoghurt. Love to all. Hbunny xx
Highlighted

Hi JuSt

Glad you are doing well still.

Sill feeling ok, a little "off" as you say but think constipation is goin to be a problem, i have been having organic cocunut which is supposed to help, but nothing doing!!!! also trying to eat lots of fruit and veg and drink 3ltrs fluids a day.

Is today your first injection or second, i have to do it myself, if you get any advice re constipation let me know.

My daughter has just rang to say my baby granddaughter has a chest infection, so that is most of my family banned from my house for a while!!!

Take care

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi Wendy, 

Hope things are still going well for you.  You do keep waiting for something to 'happen', don't you?  I'm really not bad at all still - just ever so slightly icky and a bit 'off' but nothing that makes me feel too bad.  I think it may be constipation kicking in - haven't been for a couple of days, or is that TMI, lol?  Will mention it to the nurse when she comes to give me the steroid injection later so hopefully she'll give me something to help before it gets to be a problem.

Take care and speak soon,

JuSt

x

Highlighted

Hi Cath,

Just wanted to wish you good luck for next Tuesday - hope all goes well for you.

Keep us informed,

Best wishes,

JuSt

x

Highlighted

@WP23 wrote:

Hi CathC

Injection done!! wasnt too bad, still feeling ok. Don't know if that is good or not, keep waiting to feel rough,im sure it will come at some point 😞 hopefully not too bad though eh?)

Take care

Wendy xx

Great news, Wendy. I'm glad you're still feeling well, maybe you will be  one of the lucky ones, huh?

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@Pennyfarthing wrote:
Hi Cath, yes, it looks like everything is moving, I've had appointment phone calls today for the heart monitor.. This Thursday, Portacath and bloods next Thursday so on track for chemo Tuesday 15th, here's hoping nothing goes wrong and holds it up! You'll be ahead of me so you can give me survival tips! I'm trying the cold cap so need to fit in a haircut too, although not too short apparently. Wish me luck with that one... Don't like being cold and brain freeze headaches are the pits.

Good luck for the 8th. Xx

Great news that you have all your appointments, Pennyfarthing.

I'm still waiting on my heart scan app, so beginning to get a bit nervous. As much as I don't want to start chemo I don't want NOT to start it - if you know what I mean. lol

Good luck with the tests. Let me know how they go.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Thanks Hbunny

Didnt feel it at all, I have a nice spare tyre around my middle for it to go in!!:):)

45 degrees angle  i was told so that is what we got.

Take care xx

Highlighted

Hi CathC

Injection done!! wasnt too bad, still feeling ok. Don't know if that is good or not, keep waiting to feel rough,im sure it will come at some point 😞 hopefully not too bad though eh?)

Take care

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi Niki, I'm having my Portacath put in under local so a bit more nervous now I've seen your post! I didn't realise general was an option.

Petrified Penny!
Highlighted

Hi Cath, yes, it looks like everything is moving, I've had appointment phone calls today for the heart monitor.. This Thursday, Portacath and bloods next Thursday so on track for chemo Tuesday 15th, here's hoping nothing goes wrong and holds it up! You'll be ahead of me so you can give me survival tips! I'm trying the cold cap so need to fit in a haircut too, although not too short apparently. Wish me luck with that one... Don't like being cold and brain freeze headaches are the pits.

Good luck for the 8th. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Wendy. On the steroid injection front. I presume it goes into fat, in which case as a type 1 diabetic take it from a 4 injections a day girl it doesn't hurt. O e too though if you pinch the skin quite firmly you probably won't even feel it!  Best wish bunny xx

Highlighted

Hi, I too had a portacath inserted as consultant felt it was less restricting day to day. I had it under a general anaesthetic and it is brill. No one can see it and I dont have to be stabbed for bloods! Worth holding out for. Chemo isnt fun but it is so do able. Keep a sense of humour and when you feel rough hust think the cancer cells must be feeling sooooo much worse. I find SE are predictable after each cycle which makes it easier to manage. Those chemo gremlins try to catch me out but Im smarter and stronger and so are you! Niki xxx
Highlighted

Hi, Wendy

Beautiful day here in N.Ireland - it does lift the spirits, doesn't it.

Thanks for the answer. Like you, I'll take whatever they throw at me in order to beat this thing. I've had steroids before for my AS (ankylosing Spondylitis) and they aren't fun. I've also given myself injections (also for my AS) so that doesn't scare me. After what we've all gone through in the last few months, not much does scare us. lol

How are you feeling today after you chemo? Still good, I hope?

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

Hi Joanne,
Yep the cold cap is not fun and yep you will be at hospital longer but I have had 4 cycles now and am pleased to report my hair on my head at least is still there? Def worth doing, I didnt want to look 'ill'. its depressing enough without loosing hair. Great tip..while cap is fitted drink hot drink and continue sipping it for first 20/30 mins. Using a straw helps as chin strap quite tight! Helps reduce my brain freeze and headache. Stick with it! Niki xxxx
Highlighted

Hi CathC

I am not sure to be honest, there are so many varied treatments depending on which hospital i think.

My hospital seems to be going for the pre-treat option, the steroids are to stimulate white bood cell production, i think.

I also have 7 days of antisickness to take whether i feel sick or not. Antibiotics for 10 days, diflam mouthwash to help prevent sore mouth etc.

I am happy to take the lot if it gets me through, side effects of steroid injection doesnt sound much fun (bone aches and pains)!! just hope i can do it correctly as i have never done anything like this before.

It is a beautiful day here in Cumbria which makes things feel a bit better too.

Take care

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Just curious looking through posts no one is mentioning the cold cap. Have you been offered it ot thought about it?
Niki
Highlighted

@Pennyfarthing wrote:
Hi Wendy and Sodastream,

Thank you for your very positive and helpful advice. I have ups and downs some days I'm upbeat and almost forget about the dreaded C, other days it seems to bethe only thing I think about! At least I can keep busy waiting for the Chemo to start as I have to have a Portacath inserted due to both sides having lymph nodes removed. I've also got to have heart function test, chest X-ray and bloods done...and the all important Chemo talk, just waiting for all the appointments to come through! That's something else you have to develope on this 'journey' ........patience!!

Onwards and upwards. xx

Hi, Penny

Sounds like you start your chemo the week after me. The waiting has to be the worst. It feels like every stage of this illness is a waiting game.

I've had my x-rays and bloods done last week, waiting for my heart scan app, and am back to hospital on Monday for 'the talk', then start my chemo on Tues, the 8th.

As you say "onwards and upwards"

Cath

Highlighted

@JuSt wrote:

Hi all, I also started my chemo yesterday (1st of 3 x FEC, then 3 x docetaxel) - okay, not strictly July but pretty damn close!  Just to reassure those waiting that I didn't find it too bad at all, even though I was very fearful of it and would describe myself as 'a bit of a wuss' when it comes to needles, medications, nausea etc!  I just had a couple of hours last night where I felt nauseous, took a Domperidone (which unfortunately didn't seem to help me much at all) then had a good vomit a couple of hours later.  Since then, I felt much better and feel fine still now so long may it continue!  

Good luck to all on your journey - hope we can all help each other through this,

JuSt

x

Hi, JuSt

Glad to hear your first chemo session went well, and thanks for the update. I have my first chemo next Tuesday so it's great to hear the positive aspects.

Sending gentle hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@Nicky13 wrote:
Well, July 2014 is tomorrow so we we are all starting on our journey. My first FEC T is tomorrow afternoon and hubby is coming with me. Trying to be positive and I will be checking in with everyone on here regularly so good luck everyone. Let's kick cancers butt!!

Wishing you tons of luck for today, Nicky13, hope everything goes well.

Hugs

Cath

Highlighted

@WP23 wrote:

Well the first chemo went well and i am at home.

Have lots of antisickness drugs, heartburn drugs, antibiotics, mouthwash and 5 injections of steroids that I have to give myself for 5 days from tomorrow.

The nurses on the ward were fantastic, talked through everything as they were doing it.

Just going to rest for the rest of the night then take one day at a time.

Good luck to everyone

Wendy xxx

So glad the first chemo went well for you, Wendy. Hope you're resting a lot and letting others care for you.

Quick qestion re the steroid injections. I've heard others talking about them, does everyone have to get them?

Cath

Highlighted

Hi Wendy and Sodastream,

Thank you for your very positive and helpful advice. I have ups and downs some days I'm upbeat and almost forget about the dreaded C, other days it seems to bethe only thing I think about! At least I can keep busy waiting for the Chemo to start as I have to have a Portacath inserted due to both sides having lymph nodes removed. I've also got to have heart function test, chest X-ray and bloods done...and the all important Chemo talk, just waiting for all the appointments to come through! That's something else you have to develope on this 'journey' ........patience!!

Onwards and upwards. xx
Highlighted

Hi JuST

Glad everything went well for you. I have Ondansetron antisickness for 2 days and then Domperidone for a further five days.

Hope we continue to feel ok.

Wendy xxx
Highlighted

Hi all, I also started my chemo yesterday (1st of 3 x FEC, then 3 x docetaxel) - okay, not strictly July but pretty damn close!  Just to reassure those waiting that I didn't find it too bad at all, even though I was very fearful of it and would describe myself as 'a bit of a wuss' when it comes to needles, medications, nausea etc!  I just had a couple of hours last night where I felt nauseous, took a Domperidone (which unfortunately didn't seem to help me much at all) then had a good vomit a couple of hours later.  Since then, I felt much better and feel fine still now so long may it continue!  

Good luck to all on your journey - hope we can all help each other through this,

JuSt

x

Highlighted

Hi Penny

Welcome to July thread, Hopefully we will all be able to pull each other through this journey.

I think taking one day at a time and listening to your body is the best advice.

Could you work from home for a few days per week.

School holidays will cover part of you regime so no school runs, 2 daughters off school though!!!

Worry does become your middle name but i have tried to stay calm and positive prior to having my first chemo yesterday, i just thought what is the point of worrying about something that we can't change?!:)

Hope all goes well

Wendy xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Ann123

It is so reassuring to know that others have been there and come through the other end.

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi Penny. I'm on my 3rd FEC and haven't found the side effects too bad. I did end up in hospital on the first cycle but that was due to an infection I already had. On my second cycle I felt really rough the evening of the chemo but absoulutely fine for the whole of the 3 weeks. I'm day 5 of my third cycle and find I do not have as much energy but certainly feel well and have been able to do housework, cook etc. You will learn that you just need to pace yourself, when you do the school runs you'll probably need to sit down afterwards before launching straight into the next activity. Please try not to worry, once the first FEC is done you'll realise it's not that bad considering. Also just to say I'm doing the cold cap and still have a full head of hair. Good luck.
Highlighted

Love to all you ladies starting your chemo July.....I'm an October Optimist so through it now.  It's

Not that bad really...just stay strong, take the meds and you will get through it....Huge hugs to you all.xx

Highlighted

HI Nicky13

Wishing you all the very best for today, hope all goes well.

Go get em girl 🙂

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi hbunny

Yes i was well throughout treatment and slept not too bad.

Up early to start taking all meds not feeling too bad just a bit strange!!

Onwards and upwards eh?

Take care

Wendy xx

Highlighted

Hi Everyone, I'm new on here but have been reading all the posts as I knew I would be starting Chemo in July, just didn't know when exactly. Well. I've now seen my oncologist and have a date, I'm to have my first of 6 FEC on the 15th. Diagnosed beginning of April with DIC and LIC in both breasts, had WLEs for both with node removal on both sides too, positive nodes both sides. My oncologist told me that because of my existing osteoarthritis Tax was not an option hence the 6 cycles of FEC, is this a good thing do you think? Is FEC generally 'easier' than other chemo combinations? I really need to work through my Chemo so a little worried when I saw the range of SE associated with Chemo in general! I also have 2 of my daughters at school so worrying about school runs too! It seems that 'Worry' becomes your middle name when going through this.

Penny
Highlighted

Hi nicky13, wishing you all the best for tomorrow, go zap those blighters.  Will be thinking about you and let us know how you are.  Love hbunny

Highlighted

Hi Wendy.  So pleased your first is out of the way, what a relief.  I do hope you stay well throughout. Take it easy and look after yourself, I'm right behind you. Love hbunny

Highlighted

Hope all goes well tomorrow Nicky , keep us updated x
Highlighted

Well, July 2014 is tomorrow so we we are all starting on our journey. My first FEC T is tomorrow afternoon and hubby is coming with me. Trying to be positive and I will be checking in with everyone on here regularly so good luck everyone. Let's kick cancers butt!!
Highlighted

Well the first chemo went well and i am at home.

Have lots of antisickness drugs, heartburn drugs, antibiotics, mouthwash and 5 injections of steroids that I have to give myself for 5 days from tomorrow.

The nurses on the ward were fantastic, talked through everything as they were doing it.

Just going to rest for the rest of the night then take one day at a time.

Good luck to everyone

Wendy xxx