cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

CathC

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

@wendylois wrote:

Thanks Cath. I'm also having my chemo talk on Monday with a heart scan on Friday. Definitely in this together!

Oooh, we're having our talk on the same day. Can't wait to compare notes.Smiley Wink

hbunny

Hi Cath.  Just wanted to post that day 3 for me and still no real side effects.  Feel slightly queasy at times, and tired if I've overdone, but otherwise feel the same as pre 1st chemo.  Did the dreaded deed and got the head shaved today, had a lovely morning and lunch with my very special hairdresser, he put the whole am aside for me as he has a salon at home.   Shaved the head to a number 4, just a bit longer than sinade oconnor and trimmed both wigs, which look amazing.  Had a great experience and so glad I didn't wait to see it go naturally, although will have to put up with the bald patches appear, that won't bother me now!

Try not to stress about next week, it will be fine, the nurses are experts at taking your mind off things and im sure you will feel to get the first under your belt.

Love to all. Hbunny

coffeegirl

Hi everyone, I started my chemo on Tues this week. I have had one good day but since then I'm really tired and low on energy. I am hoping to be back to normal soon.
When I'm up to it, I will read all the posts on here for tips and hints.
JuSt

Hi Cath,

Hope you're feeling better after your wobble now - I really do think the waiting is more scary than the actually going through treatment! Hopefully, things will settle once you've started and you can feel you're on the road to dealing with this monster.

I am lucky enough to not be working at the moment - my main job is as a GP's receptionist though and it really probably isn't a good place to be with a low immune system!

Have been out in the sunshine today and am due to go for a family meal soon, followed by a party - just plan to be guided by how I feel though and come home when necessary.  Guess this will probs be my last weekend out with hair for a while though.  Am equipped with scarves, wig etc though and will probs shave it off next weekend at the first sign of it coming out.

Good luck for the busy start of your week Cath - hope all goes well - and wishing everyone a good weekend,

JuSt

x

needhelp

Hi there re your hair shaved I had mine done to a number 1 like a skinhead over 3 wks ago and non has fallen out still got all my body hair as well.i have had 2 fec up 2 now maybe it will come out later does anyone know why.sheila
wendylois

Re having head shaved, I saw a recommendation to have it cut very short, like 1/4 - 1/2 inch rather than having it shaved, so you get used to it. Not so much to fall out then!
Joanne76

Thank you Wendy for your kind and encouraging words I'm just finding it really hard to not be so scared and doom and gloom about it all.
Don't get me wrong my family are amazing and love me so much but as you said it's hard for them to understand.

Joanne xxx
polar_1

Forgot to mention that when I had my head shaved I did not know whether to go completely bald or to have a number 1. Don't know why but I went for the latter and I think that was a mistake because I now have the remaining tiny bits of hair coming out making my neck itchy and also bits on the pillow this morning so when you have it done have it all shaved off. Sue xx
WP23

Sorry you are feeling so down Joanne, It is such a scarey time but you will get through it, just take one step at a time.
There is nothing we can do to change things hun so we must be strong and try to stay positive.
We are all here to support you and nobody will get fed up of you here, im sure your family are not fed up with you either but they don't understand what we are going through even if they mean well.

Take care and keep in touch

Wendy xx
polar_1

Hi Morag, Sorry to hear about your blood count. Because the appointments are on a Monday I have to go to the hospital an hour before my appointment to get my bloods done because they tell me Friday is too far in advance of the chemo session. This didn't apply to the first chemo but does to all the rest so I hope all is well with the blood count on Monday.

One other SE I forgot to mention is that I have completely gone off alcohol which is surprising as I like my glass of wine normally. Hubbie is back home today as he works away a lot and I've not seen him for 2 weeks apart from on Skype so that is something to look forward to. We will then be two baldy people together but he has had years to get used to his. He told me on Skype the other day that we looked like twins!!! Fingers crossed that Monday goes ahead as planned. Cheers Sue xx
Joanne76

Hi I am starting chemo fec-t in the next few weeks, I am so scared how I will cope constantly on here reading, at the stage were I'm all over the place can't do anything about the house or go out, all sorts running through my mind will it work? Will it come back? Have I got it elsewere?
Sorry for sounding so desperate just had to write it down as I think my family are getting fed up with me going over all the same questions all the time.
Joanne xxx
mogs33

Hi Cath,
I don't have my heart scan until 24th, and start my chemo on Monday (hopefully) so I'll let you know how it goes .
Haven't had a major wobble yet but I'm sure I will.....
Try to have a good weekend xx
Morag
mogs33

Hi Sue,
Thanks for advice , I've got my lollies ready in the fridge for Monday.
Had a call yesterday though saying my white blood cell count has dropped (not a good start) this is before any treatment .i now have to go in earlier and get more bloods done before my chemo . That's 3 lots of bloods in a week .wont have any left at this rate.
Anyway feeling good so can't understand what's going on and hike it's nothing more to worry about.
Last weekend of freedom before chemo so going to enjoy myself....
Also picked up my wig yesterday but not sure if ill ever wear it ! I will have my head shaved after first chemo I think before it all starts to fall out .
Hope your still feeling ok
Morag x
WP23

HI CathC

I know what you mean about running away, I didn't want to come back from Lanzarote on 16th June, just wanted to stay there and forget everything:)

Everyone wobbles, I did yesterday when my boss rang to see how I was, burst out crying like a big baby!!!!!!! so embarrassing.
Fear of the unknown is the worst thing, once you are on the road you will be able to count down the days to the end, that's what im doing.
All the best for Tuesday will be thinking of you.

Wendy xx
WP23

Hi Wendy

It is good you have joined us on the July thread, good luck on 14th :).

I am also fortunate in that only having 4 cycles of chemo, mine is TC, and I started on Monday 30th June. I am ER-, HER2 +, think the TC is tailored more to that. Have had quite a bit of bone/muscle pain over the last couple of days which isn't nice but just got to keep going.

Keep in touch and we will help each other as much as we can xx

Wendy !! xx
wendylois

Thanks Cath. I'm also having my chemo talk on Monday with a heart scan on Friday. Definitely in this together!

CathC

Hi, wendylois, welcome to the club no one wants to join.

Good news on the clear lymph nodes. I too only had three removed and as they were clear I know I've got off lightly too.

I start chemo on the 8th, so we're going to be close enough. 6 cycles of FEC, so sorry can't give you any info on EC. Maybe one of the other ladies will jump in and give you their experience of it.

Cath

CathC

Hi JuSt - Glad to hear you haven't had any more dizzy episodes. Did you manage to sleep yesterday? I can't remember if you said, but are you working at the moment or are you able to take things easy?

Hope you, and the others having chemo are feeling well and being kind to yourselves.

As for my heart scan, there was a flurry of phone calls yesterday and it now turns out I'm going to have it at the hosptial where I'm having my chemo. I have an app on Monday at 10.30. I also have an app there at 2.30 for my chemo talk, so it's going to be a looooong day.

Had a bit of a wobble last night. You know, the kind where you want to run away or at least get into bed and pull the covers over your head and wish this whole thing away? I'm okay this morning. I guess it's just nerves. 3 days until C day. (And counting.lol)

Hugs to all

Cath

wendylois

Hi all. I've just joined the forum, though I've found all the information on the website very useful indeed. I had surgery in May to remove the lump (primary bc) - fortunately the lymph nodes were clear so only three were removed - and then re-excision mid June and am now clear (hooray!). I feel like I've got off very lightly! I'm starting a course of chemo on Monday 14th July (EC) - fortunately just 4 cycles. Then radiotherapy afterwards. Anyone else on EC? I'd be interested in their experiences.  With thanks, Wendy

JuSt

Hi Cath & all,

I'm also not sure of best way to reply so will put it all in this one post!  Fortunately, I've not had another 'room spinning' episode so that was a relief last night, although I did find myself awake before 3am (again!) so am having a bit of a woozy, 'off', tired day - manageable though and at least no pain!  Am hoping that after last steroid injection tomorrow, I may be able to get a bit more sleep - although I'm not a good sleeper anyway, so we'll just have to see!

Cath, just to let you know my first chemo was 30th June but my heart scan isn't scheduled until 15th July so I assume it's quite normal to start treatment then get the scan done after.  Hopefully, there won't be any delay in your treatment and you can get cracking!

Good luck to all of you due to start your treatment soon - hope all goes as well as it can - we can do this!!

best wishes,

JuSt

x

polar_1

Hi Morag I have popped over from the June thread and I am exactly one session ahead of you and will be having my second fec on Monday. My side effects were minimal and I just felt a little sickly in week one and quite tired. I struggled to find things that I wanted to eat but became partial to toast and marmalade for breakfast yet before chemo I did not like marmalade!!! I sucked on ice cubes during the first session and have had no problems with mouth ulcers but that could just be a coincidence or I was just lucky and I may get them after session two.

I went to the hairdressers yesterday and had my hair shaved as it was starting to go thin at the front and so now I can were my wig (thank you NHS for the voucher) and it is more comfortable to wear it with no hair underneath. I thought I may shed a tear when the front of it was being shaved but surprisingly I was fine, it just felt like the next step in getting better.

Good luck on Monday and to everyone else starting this month. Sue xx
CathC

Hi everyone.

I'm still finding my way around these boards and finding answering these posts a bit complicated (at least for me. l Rather than answer each one I'm going to try and answer all in this one post so not to fill up the thread. If any one has any hints on how best to work this site I'd be grateful.

Karen - Wishing you luck for today. Hope your first session goes well.

Horseslave - I know what you mean about trying to pretend none of this is happening. I sometimes have to take a break from this board, and the dreaded google, because I just go into info overload. At the moment I can pretent I'm okay and people treat me normally because they don't know. I guess when the chemo kicks in that will all change. 

hbunnny - so glad your first session went well. Good luck with the head shaving this weekend. (Had a giggle at your vanilla/canulla mix-up. Predictive txt is a pain.lol)

JuSt - how are you feeling now after your 'funny turn'? Must have been so frightening. 

Morag - Wishing you luck for your first fec on Monday. I know what you mean about just wanting to get started. I start the day after you, and if I could start right this minute I would.

I still haven't heard about my heart scan, so yesterday I phoned my breast care nurse (who is amazing) I was worried I wouldn't be able to have my chemo on tuesday if I don't have the scan. She reassured me that it will probably still go ahead. The problem is that I'm having the scan in our local hospital, which isn't the same hospital that I will be having my chemo. The nurse did phone my local hosptial for me, but the girl in charge was off yesterday. Seeing as I'm back for my chemo talk on Monday afternoon and then chemo on Tuesday, it doesn't leave a lot of time to fit the scan in.

I have a feeling I'm stressing on this in order to keep my mind of Tuesday, which is fine. I also intend to enjoy this weekend, I may even indulge in a an alcoholic beverage. lol

Happy weekend ladies.

Cath

sugar8

Great hbunny. You are a girl after my own heart as I want to get on with life and keep working to normalize the situation. Very encouraging news. Will let you know how I get on next week.
hbunny

Hi Morag, I know what you mean, the waiting game again is torture.  However Monday will be here before you blink and the experience really isn't as bad as the expected.  I was almost running through the door 1/2 an hour early - anybody would think I was looking forward to it, but just wanting to get the first under my belt.

I will be thinking of you on Monday.  Take care and be kind to yourself. Hbunny

Karen2609

Glad to hear today went ok, Hbunny and that se are not too bad so far. After hearing so many horror stories about chemo from people it has been nice to hear from others going through it now that, although its certainly not pleasant, it is doable. Have my wig all sorted but am a bit worried about eyelashes/brows - I haven't got a steady hand...  Hope you r first night goes ok

Much love

mogs33

Hi ladies,
I have my first fec on Monday7th ... Just want to get started now ,it just so horrible waiting and not knowing what side effects your going to have or what the whole experience will be like. I have been following the thread for a while and just wanted to say thank you to you for all the information (good or bad ) it's great to have this support from ladies who are going through and know what it's like to go this hideous experience.
Look forward to more stories... Thanks morag
hbunny

Hi, blimy obviously meant canulla not vanilla! Blasted predictive txt, cant switch it off
hbunny

Hi just.  I had a similar "woosy" sort of sensation when they injected the first anti sick, room started to spin, but only lasted 10-15 mins, and was told that this can happen, but passes and wasn't excessive.  Do hope you don't experience this again sound a bit scary at night.  Look after you and stay well.  Hbunny

hbunny

Hi sugar8. Thanks for the thoughts, everything went well, although a little painful at the vanilla site due to the cold, but a heat pack helped. Also had to wait an hour for the drugs to arrive, but the nurses are so good they were able to keep my mind off it very well and had a good laugh in the process.  

Have felt fine all day, although have had a sore hand, a low lying headache and very slight nausia but nothing to stop me doing anything, in fact have done a couple of hours work from home this pm, not sure if it's even psychosamatic, so will be back at work tomorrow.

Just feeling good to have got started and got the first out of the way.

Hope your not waiting too long to get started, the anticipation is definitely worse than the doing.

Take care of you. Hbunny

JuSt

Hi Hbunny,

Glad all went well for you - hope it stays that way. I also found the heat pad helped so will continue with that.

I just had a funny turn in the night where the room was spinning out of control but didn't last too long and apparently isn't a normal side effect so that just seems to be one for me! Have been advised to see GP tomorrow if it happens again tonight.

Hope you get minimal SE,s.

Take it easy

JuSt x
sugar8

Re: : Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Thanks Sodastream. Thanks for Very positive feedback. I feel uplifted :-).
I am on TC-h so we shall see. .I've cut my hair further into a bob this week. Fingers crossed x x
sugar8

Great news hbunny. Fingers crossed
sugar8

Will do Wendy x x. Looking forward but not looking forward to next week. You know what I mean 🙂
Pennyfarthing

Hi Sugar8 yes, you get the phone call and then a small part of you wishes you could go back to being patient!
Penny
sugar8

Hope all went well hbunny. I just joined the group today and have spent the day catching up with post.
Pennyfarthing

Sorry Sodastream, managed to touch the 'reply' button before I'd finished.....I'm very good at doing that! I've had WLE and positive nodes removed both sides which was bad enough so really feeling for you so wishing you all the luck in the world !
Penny
sugar8

So true Penny. I have had to be so patient that sometimes I forget I have to have chemo. Until the phone call came to me back to reality 🙂

Pennyfarthing

Hi Sodastream,

Thanks for that, I think I'll follow your lead and do the same, the Paxman system is the one being used at my hospital and I've read good things about it so fingers crossed!

Penny
Sodastream

Hi Penningfarthing. I had a shortish bob but luckily my hairdresser had experience with cold cap and knew it would go bald underneath so advised the one length bob rather than the graduated one I wanted. You keep all of the top layer of your hair albeit it thins out a lot but you sound like me where you are lucky to have thick hair to begin with. I found by having it slightly shorter then I didn't have to brush it quite as much but that being said I am still washing, brushing and blow drying it every day which goes against what I read but it's worked for me. If you can try it I do recommend it as it really has boosted my moral on the days I've been low trying to get through chemo, thinking about the masectomy and reconstruction still to be done, I've felt at least I still have my hair which has cheered me up. Good luck.
WP23

Brilliant news hbunny

Fingers crossed for minimal side effects.

Rest when you need to x

Take care

Wendy xx
Pennyfarthing

Hi Sodastream,
how short did you have your hair when you started with the cold cap, I'm due to have my first chemo on the 15th and my hair is past my shoulders and quite thick at the moment, just wondering if I need to book an appointment with the hairdressers or will I be ok?

Penny
Sodastream

Hi Sugar8. I'm on FEC-T x 8. The nurse sprayed my hair and used the hospital conditioner, first nurse wet it a lot, second not much and when she went to wash her hair I sprayed it more and third nurse again not much. Hasn't made a difference to how wet to how much hair came out. Am now day 7 cycle 3 and still no need for wig. I was blond but dyed it back to my natural colour of brown. I am bald underneath at the back but my top layer totally covers this (plus its nice and cool in this weather) and I am thin in the parting. However my 18 year old daughter had the ingenious idea of getting dry shampoo for dark hair that I spray on my scalp and it colours it brown so not noticible at all. If you want to PM me I'm happy to discuss further and send you photos if you want to see. Good luck.
sugar8

good luck CahC.my first cycle is on the 9th
hbunny

Hi gang, just got home from first fec and feeling fine so far.  The whole experience wasn' t bad and no where near as frightening as most expect, just very cold vein as the drugs were injected which made it a little painful at times, however I was given a heat pack which helped enormously.  Now going to do some work I brought home for a while and sit and wait to see if any side effects develop.  

Off to get the head shaved at the weekend and hoping to leave my wonderful hairdresser looking gorgeous in my new wig, although might not feel quite so positive by the time I get there!

Karen, good luck with your first, keep strong and don't anticipate the worst, it will be ok.

Love to all. Hbunny xx

WP23

Think we have had very similar exerience Sugar8.

I had SNB & WLE on 14th April, results 5 weeks later and then another wait to see oncologist (19th June), first chemo 30th June, the waiting was just torture, but eh we are on the road now, even if it is a long one.

I am HER +, ER-

Hope all goes well with your treatment.

Keep in touch

Wendy xx

sugar8

: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hi sodastream

Comforting  to hear about your hair. I feel the same  as you re hairloss so I amdefinitely going to try the cold cap. Remind mewhat chemo drugs you are on. Also did you wet your hair a lot and use lots of conditioner every time?

sugar8

lol. funny Barney. I love dogs but have been so busy working all my life so far I couldn't have one.
sugar8

I waited 6 weeks and 2 days to see the oncologist and another 5 weeks for treatment. Frustrating . Esp as NICE Guidelines recommends that chemo should be commenced 31 days after surgery/healing if no complications .
sugar8

Good idea, It's all part of the acceptance of loss. I am going to try cold cap and I am keeping everything crossed. I am a midwife with 2 grown up sons. Married to a very patient man 🙂
sugar8

Hi WP23. I am only having 4 cycles of TC also and Herceptin for a year and I will not be having a picc .