cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

CathC

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hi Wendy,

Glad you had a good weekend. To ask the ladies starting our going through treatment this week sending you lots of hugs.

I ended up in hospital last night with a high temperatures. They admitted me at 6 an this morning and say I will be here for 5/7 days getting anti biotics.
Not a happy bunny. 😞
Horseslave

Good advice Nikki. I tell you what, i never want to be sick like I was in hospital last week, ever again. They are likely to up my meds as a consequence for chemo 2 ( doxy stuff) and I fully intend to take every drug thrown at me lol!
Water, water, water - despite tasting utterly vile to me, I intend to fully take your advice on that one.
Hair really falling out now, wow.. Day 12

My son brings me ice cream floats too and cranberry juice mixed with lemonade and ice.
I have a recipe for non alcoholic pimms to liven things up too! Fluids have to be made more flavoursome for me to indulge.....
WP23

Morning ladies,

was near to the end of a lengthy post when lost signal!! very annoyed. Was great to catch up on all of the weekend posts from you all 🙂 sorry cant type all my responses again 😞

Anyway I had good time in York, guest house owner was soooo funny and really made the weekend 🙂 only downside of weekend was the tiredness and swollen ankles and feet with doing so much walking, really brought it home to me that I cant just carry on as before while on the chemo. We went to evensong on Saturday in York Minster, it is a lovely service that starts at 5:15 daily and is mainly sung by the choir. I also lit a candle for everyone going through treatment for cancer - hope the man takes heed!!!!! 🙂

I have 2nd TC this morning, it has come around quickly and not looking forward to it but hey as horseslave says there are people out there in a worse state. I thought after chemo 1 when I felt rubbish of all the little children going through chemo 😞 at least we understand, they don't and it must be hell on earth for their parents and families), so onwards and upwards. bring it on and lets kick some ass 🙂

Hope everyone has had a good weekend and is starting the new week with a positive frame of mind.

Off to drink water,water and more water xx

Wendy x
Nikki49

Hope you don't mind me poking my nose in, I finished 6 rounds of fec-t in December actually had my last dose on Xmas Eve, Merry Feccing Christmas 😞
Anyway I've been reading that a lot of you have been suffering from nausea on fec, I was given emend, Granesetron and cyclazine, the cyclazine being the as and when. The Dexamethasone are steroids which help with nausea and also make the chemo more effective.
My advise is take every tablet they give you, take them before you feel sick cause if you wait it's too late! And very importantly water water water, my 2nd and 3rd fec I drank 2 to 3 litres the day before, the day of and the day after chemo and oh my what a difference that makes.
Good luck xx
Karen2609

Hi shoes220
I think we can all understand what you are going through but as others have said before the anticipation is probably worse than the actual chemo. I felt pretty rough for few days after but now on day 16 and feeling absolutely fine, I'm even enjoying a glass of wine as recommended by my oncologist!
Hope all goes well for you , lots of ladies on here seem to have had minimal SE's and everyone I met at chemo unit was very upbeat and helped put me at ease.
shoes220

wow i left a comment i think i have to many positives though
shoes220

Due to start chemo tues once a week for 9 weeks trying to be positive. Trying to be positive. But dreading the unknown. Tried to leave comments here not having much luck lol

Pookieharton

Morning ladies, hope everyone is okay xx. Day 5 of fec and am feeling better, 1st few days has sickness but seems to have gone now. All I have is a slightly sore mouth and little taste. I have a question, are symptoms same after each treatment or do symptoms change ? Tia Rachel xxxxxx
Horseslave

Morning all. Weather promises to be hot and humid again. In this heat it actually makes me want the hair loss to speed up. Day 11 and I have noticed hair starting to fall..... Oh well diddly dee. I shall call me, ' mini me'
Sodastream

Hi coffee girl. I forgot to say I had my hair cut in April and it has not grown at all which is great news for me as I'm not quite sure how grey I am so the longer they stay away the better.
Mogs33 I live in Surrey but grew up in Norfolk. I love Norfolk and still call it home. I went there last weekend to visit my dad, sister and friends that still live there. Ended up doing a 5 mile walk from Holkham to Wells and back which lifted my spirits and got me through the fact I was meant to be in Mexico at the moment.
You have amazing services up in Norfolk especially the surgeons. Not sure what surgery you have had or need but there is a fabulous group called Keeping Abreast in Norwich. I've been in touch with them and they are so helpful.
CathC

Hi, Coffeegirl

How's the hair loss going today? I hope it's slowed down.

Good luck for your 2nd session on Tuesday.

Soadstream lovely of you to pop in wiht your experiences re the cold cap and your side effects. It's  amazing how everyone reacts differently to their treatment.

Here's hoping the SE's of your 4th will be minimal.

Mogs33 - that's a fantastic story. The picture of you in that old-fashioned barber shop smiling like crazy, made me laugh.

Delighted the hair shave went well. When the time comes I hope I can react in the same way.

Dellan, glad to hear you're starting to feel better after your 1st session.

Here's hoping it continues for your Birthday day with your daughter. Just take things slowly and you should be fine.

Hope you both have an amazing day tomorrow.

Day 13 for me and I'm still feeling great. Apart from the 1st five days where I was sick and shaky and had a horrible taste in my mouth, I seem to have got off lightly. *Crosses fingers*

My biggest fear is infection. I've been staying away from crowds and have learned to stop hugging people - I'm a hugger, so that's the hardest thing for me.

Here's hoping all you lovely ladies are also side-effect free this weekend.

Hugs

Cath

Dellan

Hi ladies,

Well I'm three days after my first FEC session. I was very anxious at first and had a bit of trouble with my veins but was okay once they got a good line in. Bit anxious about having a port fitted on 1st Aug, not sure how it will feel.... I've tried the cold cap and didnt find it too bad, although I'm not holding out much hope as I was told not to bother wetting my hair and I'm sure the cap didnt fit too well. I've got a wig fitting Tuesday and also ordered some great bandanas from Anna Nandana, highly recommend them.

Re side effects, I've been okay so far. Slightly nauseous at night, very metallic taste in my mouth and as you'll see from the time, trouble sleeping. It's my daughters birthday on Monday so I've got everything crossed that I'm still feeling well enough to take her out for the day. She's 19 and been an absolute tower of strength.

Thanks CathC, WP23 and Sugar8 for your wishes this week.

Stay strong all you lovely, beautiful ladies. Together we can fight each day as it comes.

Sending positive hugs to you all and hope your SE's aren't too bad
Xx

mogs33

Hi ladies,
I just wanted to share my amazing day yesterday .. I decided to have my head shaved off this weekend as quite a few ended up in thursday nights tea (gross) and I know the inevitable will happen.
I nwe of very old fashioned 1950's style barbers shop in holt in norfolk and as we were going over for the weekend decided to go for it. Doug my barber was amazing , he shaved one side off the the other and made me feel a million dollars . We took loads of photos of the inside of the shop , the big old fashioned chairs and Mirror and the barbers dressed in 1950s gear, mad me of cause . I didn't stolp smiling from beginning to end, and you know what ! I love it , I've been out tonight with nothing on my head and I feel great. I know obviously this is not how everyone is going to feel but just wanted to share my good experience as well as sharing the bad xx night night xx
coffeegirl

Thanks Sodastream, you've put my mind at rest. I too have a bob so hopefully it should cover any thinning parts, and thd dry shampoo is a great tip. I also saw an advertisment in my magazine for a touch-up spray for your roots, this might be useful for all us ladies that cannot dye our hair at the moment. The spray is coloured and covers grey etc.
You've had a terrible time of it Sodastream, I also had really painful mouth ulcers for over a week, I still have them. My BCN gave me Gelclair which is a gel that coats your mouth, and it's great for pain relief and clearing up your ulcers, perhaps you could ask them for some. I totally agree that you can only take one day at a time with this treatment, be kind to yourself and rest when needed, I get my second dose of FEC-D on Tues, hopefully things go ok xx
Sodastream

Hi coffee girl just popping in from May's thread. I'm doing cold cap and can report after just having my 4th FEC that I still have a full covering of hair. For me it started coming out on day 20 and I was loosing a good handful everyday but it does slow down so bear with it. I have lost all of the hair at the nape of my neck but my one length bob covers this. It has also gone thin in the parting but I use eyeshadow or dry shampoo for brown hair which makes it less obvious. I sat next to a lady also having her 4th chemo and she also had kept her hair too. I've washed and blow dryed my hair every day as it looks awful if I don't and my attitude is it has to be functioning or it gets shaved off.
To those on FEC-T my SE's have been different every time. On my first I was ok until day 5 and then ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics for 5 days and felt weak for a further 5 days. On my second session I felt really sick on day 1 but fine for the rest of them. On my third I was prescribed Emend which meant I didn't feel sick but was wiped out with no energy for 10 days and a mouthful of ulcers. I had my 4th yesterday and despite taking Emend was sick twice and so tired but have woken up today full of energy and feeling fine. I've learnt from this you can't predict what will happen but instead take every day as it comes and celebrate all those good days. Good luck to you all. X
coffeegirl

Hi everyone, not checked in for a while, but I just wanted to ask if anyone is using the cold cap? I used it in my first session and it's day 18 after my first session and my hair is coming out. I know my hair will thin but I'm not sure if the vast amount I'm losing is normal or if the cold cap isn't working. I have thought of getting my hair shaved but I don't want to do that if I have a chance of keeping most of my hair. Anyone been through this? x
CathC

Hi, Clare

glad you're feeling better today, and do catch up on your sleep. Enjoy the time with your son and his girlfriend.

Flossie - glad to hear your PICC line arm isn't as sore. I too have had sore teeth, which seem to set off the headaches (or maybe the headaches set off the teeth?) Like you, no high temp so figure it's just another lovely side effect.

Day 12 for me too, and I have all my hair. Was told it would probably happen on Day 14, so washed and blew dry it today just to enjoy it while I can. lol

Have a nice trip to Norwich, and enjoy your lunch.

Ria, as Flossie says don't apologise for moaning, that's what we're here for.

I'm sorry you're having such horrible side effects. The good news is that they usually don't last.

Having to work while going through this must be so tough.

Sending you gentle hugs.

Cath

Candyflossie

Hi Ria2056,

That's why the support group is here, so you can have a good moan, we're all doing it... Sorry to hear about your SE, what chemo are you on?

I'm on FEC-T and had my first FEC onMonday the 7th, so just a week ahead of you and had the same status last weekend, really sicky, no apetite and awfully tired and dizzy, but this week I felt pretty much well, I am also working whilst having my treatment, my choice to work though, do you not have the option of not working or at least have some flexibility?

Feel free to moan xxx

Hugs,

Flossie

ria2056

morning all

I had my new chemo regime on Monday, and the SEs are awful I feel like I have been hit by a bus, every bone and muscles in my body hurts, I got no energy.Eating and drknking is a chore, brufen not helping anti sickness helps a little ,and to top it off I am back at work feeling useless.

Sorry for the moan just feeling sorry for myself

Candyflossie

Good morning everyone,

I read all your posts since I have been on it last and some of them made me chuckle so much Rachel you are so funny. Glad to hear that most of you are coping with the side effect well and get the hospital help when needed, they do say to call even if you think it's silly or don't want to bother them. I followed their advice and kept my hot water bottle at home or heat pack whilst at work this week and my PICC line arm feels so much better, I even think the hot wheather helped to keep my veins dilated so the tube doesn't rub against.

Apart from this, a few days with headaches, so keep taking ibuprofen (paracetamol doesn't work for me), but the sore mouth symptoms seem to be there to stay and I am just using Bonjela cool to take the edge of them.Last night though the teeth on my left side seem to feel really painfull deep inside the maxilar, no temperature though so I don't think it's an infection, but very uncomfortable, Will keep an eye on this one, has anyone had similar sensations?

I have still got my hair, day 12, but I used to have long hair and cut it pixie short when I found out I need to go through chemo just so it's ready for the shave. As much as it feels liberating to have short hair, I realised I actually hate it, so in a way I can't wait for it to fall so I can wear my long hair wigs, as I don't feel it's justified to wear a wig beforehand. I know... I am a little strange...

I wish you a lovely weekend, we are going for a little trip to Norwich tomorrow to meet up with hubby family and I am thinking about also booking lunch at Jamie's Italian, inspired by Rach Smiley Happy

I can't stress enough to all of the ladies that feel unwell, rest, rest, rest, take it from the Energizer Bunny, I don't know how to rest and relax, but had to learn very quick last week when I felt poorly and it had put me in good sted for the week.

Sending you lots of hugs and you are all an inspiration Heart

Flossie

sugar8

Hi Cath 

It's much better if the paracetamols works for you as the NAIDs can cause stomach problems. so I think that's good.

i suppose so many years of night shift hasn't helped my sleep pattern but you know what? I will catch up today as I am definitely listening to my body. Fortunately my 2 sons are now grown up and have flown the nest so I can focus on getting better. Saying that one's coming round with his girlfriend today but they shall sort themselves out when they arrive. They are both very independent adults.

I feel sooo much better today.

Hi Horseshoe. Thanks for the recommendation re cranberry juice. That's good to prevent urine infections also, so a win win situation Smiley LOL Perhaps you shouldn't be ashamed that sometimes you will feel self pity. As long as you don't wallow in it forever It's normal, esp when you will feel your worse. 

lovely weekend everyone x x x

Clare

CathC

@Horseslave wrote:
You are all doing so well. Can I just recommend cranberry juice with ice. It is the most delicious thing imaginable. I also wanted to warn against too much pineapple juice as it makes you run to the loo!
Day 9 I think for me. Nausea has subsided thankfully. I do think hospital heat, smell etc makes you feel sicker.
Some lovely scarves from Annabandana arrived, very trendy. I expect I will burn them at the end of my treatment though.... In this heat, the prospect of losing my hair is actually not really bothering me that much! We have put a gazebo up in the garden, with a sun lounger under it for me to recline in the shade and watch the silly ducks playing. So, life is good, not perfect, could be worse. The lady in the bed next to me in hospital had cancer gone to her spine. She was so cheerful and upbeat and made me feel ashamed. I will keep her in my thoughts when the feeling sorry for myself moments creep in and kick myself up the arse. Her name was Cecilia.

Hi horseslave

Glad to hear the nausea has subsided. Cranberry juice with ice sounds yummy. I found I needed most things with ice as the coating on my tongue made it feel like there was a barrier between me and my food/drink - a horrible sensation.

Your gazebo and sunlounger sound fab. I can just picture you reclining on the lounger, sipping your cranberry juice - very Mediterranean. lol Unfortunately, it's raining here so no lounging for me.

Hugs

Cath

CathC

@sugar8 wrote:

Hi Ladies

CathC If you medical health allows you to take it. Have you tried Ibruprofen?  I always find that works better for me than paracetamol.  Spring cleaning eh? mad thnig Smiley Happy  I am quickly discovering like you that i cannot take control of the chemo. It has to take control of me to be able to work and toreally listen to what my body is telling me Smiley Frustrated

Wendy. You are right Wendy re my regime so i am hoping that next cycle will be easier Smiley Very Happy 

hbunny, Great to hear you're doing well.

Pennyfarthing, Hope you are coping better with SEs . I found like you , rest and painkillers was the best way forward. Loved your humour re cold cap

Rach . Sorry for your loss of your dad and glad his funeral went well. Silent night eh? How poignant. He must have had a good sense of humour. Your oncologist is obviously a wise man. He appears to have laid out the cards on the table better than mine and  given you the full picture re your drugs. That's so much better for mental preparation and coping with the SEs post chemo. It's the feeliing that I have just put my life on hold that gets to me and that's making me emotional. Although I feel I0 times better when i went out for a gentle walk the way my body reacted on Day 9 made me sad. It like that with you I see? Thank you for the encouragement . I am Day 11 today. Roll on Day 14!!!! Hope your temp settles and your kitchen will be completed soon. I bet you look lovely with or without hair. x x

have a lovely weekend ladies . Don't forgt us taxotere ladies need to wear dark nail polish and at least factor30 suncream . 

Take care 

Sugar8 (Clare)

Hi Clare,

Sounds like you're not sleeping again. Nothing worse than being wide-awake while everyone else is asleep.

I tried Ibruprofen years ago and it did nothing for me. I'm on  a strong dose of paracetamol - 30/500 - which  knock most things on the head. lol

I agree with you re listening to our bodies. I guess it's true, we have to put our lives on hold and allow the chemo to do its work. If that means taking things slower and not being able to do the things I love (like swimming) then that's just how it has to be.

Sending hugs to all the ladies on this thread, hoping you're all well.

Cath

Horseslave

You are all doing so well. Can I just recommend cranberry juice with ice. It is the most delicious thing imaginable. I also wanted to warn against too much pineapple juice as it makes you run to the loo!
Day 9 I think for me. Nausea has subsided thankfully. I do think hospital heat, smell etc makes you feel sicker.
Some lovely scarves from Annabandana arrived, very trendy. I expect I will burn them at the end of my treatment though.... In this heat, the prospect of losing my hair is actually not really bothering me that much! We have put a gazebo up in the garden, with a sun lounger under it for me to recline in the shade and watch the silly ducks playing. So, life is good, not perfect, could be worse. The lady in the bed next to me in hospital had cancer gone to her spine. She was so cheerful and upbeat and made me feel ashamed. I will keep her in my thoughts when the feeling sorry for myself moments creep in and kick myself up the arse. Her name was Cecilia.
sugar8

Hi Ladies

CathC If you medical health allows you to take it. Have you tried Ibruprofen?  I always find that works better for me than paracetamol.  Spring cleaning eh? mad thnig Smiley Happy  I am quickly discovering like you that i cannot take control of the chemo. It has to take control of me to be able to work and toreally listen to what my body is telling me Smiley Frustrated

Wendy. You are right Wendy re my regime so i am hoping that next cycle will be easier Smiley Very Happy 

hbunny, Great to hear you're doing well.

Pennyfarthing, Hope you are coping better with SEs . I found like you , rest and painkillers was the best way forward. Loved your humour re cold cap

Rach . Sorry for your loss of your dad and glad his funeral went well. Silent night eh? How poignant. He must have had a good sense of humour. Your oncologist is obviously a wise man. He appears to have laid out the cards on the table better than mine and  given you the full picture re your drugs. That's so much better for mental preparation and coping with the SEs post chemo. It's the feeliing that I have just put my life on hold that gets to me and that's making me emotional. Although I feel I0 times better when i went out for a gentle walk the way my body reacted on Day 9 made me sad. It like that with you I see? Thank you for the encouragement . I am Day 11 today. Roll on Day 14!!!! Hope your temp settles and your kitchen will be completed soon. I bet you look lovely with or without hair. x x

have a lovely weekend ladies . Don't forgt us taxotere ladies need to wear dark nail polish and at least factor30 suncream . 

Take care 

Sugar8 (Clare)

sugar8

Is anyone awake?

Pennyfarthing

Hi Hbunny, I agree with you, I'm doing bits on and off through the day, not letting the side effects sideline me! Washing on the line, beds made, TV watched, heat a bit too much for a walk yet though, do have an amazing dog but he'll have to wait until the evening! Washed my hair for the first time since cold cap and didn't lose any but very early days yet.
Good luck anyone who is going for their first chemo today, if you're giving the cold cap a try the silver lining ( there is one in most things if you look hard enough) is that everyone else will be sweltering and you'll be wondering what all the fuss is about! Hugs x
wendylois

What day are you, hbunny? I'm getting my son to give me a grade 4 or less this weekend ready for day 14 next weekend.
hbunny

Hi pennyfarthing. Don't get despondent, i had all your side effects, just not bad enough to stop me in my tracks. Lost all the hair in the shower this am, blocked the plughole 4 times over, and that's with a no 2 squaddy cut! Just didn't realise how much there was, will be fun cleaning it tonight😌.

really hope you have a good day today and you get out for that long needed walk. Take care of you. Hbunny
CathC

Thanks for the tip about Manuka honey, Karen2609.

How are you feeling today?

Joanne76 - wishing you the very best of luck today for your first chemo.

Will be thinking of you.

Jackie09 - What a lovely post. Thank you so much for stepping in to reassure Joanne (and us).

Sugar - so glad to hear your energy levels have returned. (Not to mention the absence of wind. lol)

The nasty taste in the mouth is a yucky side effect. I found sucking ice pops/ice lollies helped.

Pennyfarthing - I had the same symptoms - dizziness, light-headedness, nausea etc - and also worried what would happen when the strong sickness meds stopped, but it was fine. Slight nausea that 1 Maxolon fixed. One thing I did note is that my temp dropped just before I felt shaky and nauseous. Maybe yours does the same?

Please don't feel despondent, everyone reacts different to their treatment. Hopefully, now your SE's will end and you'll feel more like your old self.

Horseslave - my heart goes out to you. Sounds like you're having a horrible time of it.

Please take care of yourself and let others help you.

Feel better soon.

Rach - glad to hear you're feeling fine now. I like your attitude, and your doc is right to 'throw everything at it'. Keep smiling.

I bet your look fantastic in your Raquel Welch wig. I'm glad your dad's funeral went well. I love the idea of him changing the music. Things like that are such a comfort.

Keep an eye on that sore throat and take plenty of rest.

Wendy - have a fab weekend with hubs.

Day 11 for me. I slightly overdid it yesterday spring cleaning. (It was such a gorgeous day) that I ended up in bed most of the evening and last night. Pathetic.

Note to self: Don't try and clean whole house in one go. lol

I'm still feeling okay - now that I've recovered from yesterday. Still can't shift the constant headache, but I can live with that.

Plus my temp refuses to rise more than 35.7,. I guess I just normally have a low temp.

To all the ladies on the thread, hope you have a great weekend. Look after yourselves.

Hugs

Cath

Pennyfarthing

Hi, I've been taking loads of paracetamol for headache and back pain so taking temperature regularly which is within normal limits so no infection but will ring nurse to see if I can extend the anti emetics. Thanks for your advice. X hugs
WP23

Good morning ladies

One last check in before I check out and head off to York for weekend with hubby :):)

Rachagogo and Sugar 8 - you are both up early, hope you have managed to get back to sleep for a couple of hours.

Sugar 8 - yes maybe it is having the Herceptin alongside TC that has made the SE's tougher, am I write in thinking you are having the rest of the Herceptin after chemo? very strange way of doing things!!?

Joanne - you will be fine hun, sending lots of positive vibes to you, (and everyone else having chemo today), drink lots and lots of fluids and rest rest rest... take deep breaths, close your eyes and pretend your somewhere else, like a sunbed in the Caribbean!! 🙂

Have a good weekend everyone.

Onwards and upwards, every day is a day closer to finishing treatment and getting on with our lives :):)

Wendy xx
rachagogo

Hi all - I've not checked in for a while as have had a busy week - thanks everyone for all your kind wishes 🙂

Monday was wig shopping - it went well and I came away with a joyful Raquel Welch number that I'm really pleased with. Hair started to come out in clumps on monday, so it was good timing. The whole process was very surreal, but my sister was amazing and so supportive, I couldn't have done it without her.

Tuesday was my Dad's funeral - I would have to say it went well, and I think we gave him a good send off: so many of his old colleagues from the hopsital came which was really touching as he had been retired for 10 years. One funny thing, my mum, sisters and I agonised over music for the funeral - my mum wanted Celine Dion, My Heart Will Go on which is a song I just can't bear, so in the end we compromised on a lovely song called In Paradisum sung by Katherine Jenkins (my Dad was quite the fan!). Anyway, it was due to be played right at the end as we left the crem, and it starts, and I was thinking, I don't remember this sounding like Silent Night at the start... then she starts singing Silent Night! They put on the wrong track, lol! I can't help thinking my Dad had a hand in that, almost to say he didn't care what the music was, and to put a smile on our faces! One of my sisters did the lovliest eulogy, and we were all so proud of her. Had enough hair to not need my wig, but was glad to have it there just in case.

Wednesday was a lovely lunch out with my friend at Jamie's Italian - any of you in the Norwich area should check it out as they have all pasta dishes for £5 during July. It was just what I needed - a grown up lunch to talk about anything and everything, and pleased to hear that my diagnosis has spurred her on to start her own family, I couldn't be happier 🙂

Today was a play date with my daughter and another friend's little boy - I have found that this is an excellent way to 1) catch up with my friends and 2) take the pressure off looking after my little one. She generally plays so nicely with other children that we can pretty much leave them to it whilst I can relax and be looked after (if needed) by my friend, all whilst having a good gossip and a cuppa (and cake... there has been a lot of cake recently, oops!)

The kitchen is making slow progress, but we finally get our sink plumbed in tomorrow morning (oh, that would actually be in a couple of hours time then!) and from then, I think we'll be pretty close to done. Can't wait to have a cuppa in my new kitchen 🙂

I'm on day 17 now, and have to say have felt pretty fine for the last week, but I do have a sore throat at the moment (which is why I'm up at this unforsaken hour) and temp is a little low (35.6) so might call the chemo unit in the morning if I'm still the same. Hair continued to fall out over this week, and I found that I was just sat pulling out handful after handful of hair (I have a lot of hair btw!). It got to the point on wednesday night that I just couldn't cope with it any more as I found it so upsetting that the husband has shaved it all off this morning, so I look a lot like a convict. But I gave my wig a spin today on the playdate with friend, and she didn't even notice! Eventually, I let her in on the secret when she asked if I'd lost any hair yet and she was really shocked, so that was a nice bit of reassurance that I don't look like widdow twanky with it on! 

Well, I'm now off back to bed to see if I can squeeze a couple of hours more sleep out of me - I seem to be in a vicious circle at the moment of getting incredibly tired at about 4pm so have been sleeping from 4-6pm ish and then although I get to sleep fine at bed time (11pm ish) I'm then wide awake at 4am! Still, I use this time to catch up on my 'correspondence' (funny, I've never had so many emails and text messages from friends to reply to, it has been so lovely).

I hope you are all doing well, sorry to not have replied to you all individually, but there are so many of us now, and I struggle to keep up! But needless to say, your warm wishes are very much appreciated, and I offer the same back in return - all the very best to you wherever you are in your chemo journey, hugs, Rach x

sugar8

Hi Everyone insomnia again as dosed alot during the day so catching up with my support network.

Horeseslave and Pennyfarthing I am so sorry to hear that you're having a rough time. Try and deal with it one step at a time. You will pull through it, even if at this moment in time you might feel despondent. Remember IT WILL GET BETTER!! Rest rest rest. That what worked for me,and cry if you want. You will feel better after a tear. Remember you are the important one in this journey. 

Oh Joanne76 I can empathise with the feeling to escape ((hugs))

Thanks for the cyper hugs pennyfarthing. I Always need a hug. a little hug goes a long way Smiley Happy

For the nasty taste in the mouth I am brushing teeth at least 3 times a day with an aloe vera toothpaste I bought from Holland and Barrett. Also using corsodyl daily mouth wash regularly and salt water gargles before I try to eat. It seemed to have worked. Day 9 and the film's going. Did you suck the pineapple lollies during chemo? I forgot to but will try them next cycle and evaluate.

Take care of yourself everyone x x x x

love 

Sugar8 

rachagogo

Hi Joanne,

I'm sorry you've been struggling over the past few days, I think everything Jackie09 says sums it up really, and whilst it is frightening to think about how we will cope with chemo and the SEs, what is the alternative? Like me, I'm sure you are fighting this thing for your children as much as yourself, and whilst you may struggle at times, from your previous posts it sounds like you have a great support network in your sisters and your mum, so just make sure you use them when you need to. Before my first session, I remember having lunch with my sister and she was reassuring me that everything will be fine, and that she would help with my little girl whenever I needed her to and with anything else. I got so upset and explained that it was really kind, but that I don't want to have to have someone else look after my daughter, I want to be able to do it myself. But now I try to look at it a different way - when I do need help with Evie I take it, and think that it gives me the time to get better and be there for her longer in the long term, and also gives her the chance to have closer relationships with her aunties and grandparents than she would have without this situation, and that is something that I believe will stand her in good stead for the rest of her life.

Sending you all my best wishes for tomorrow, and if your anxiety doesn't settle down, it might be worthwhile speaking to your BCN and/or gp about it. We have a local center for cancer patients that offers free counselling sessions, so it might be worthwhile seeing if you can access anything similar where someone objective can help to give you some practical coping strategies for worry and anxiety.

Let us all know how you get on tomorrow, and try to take it easy on yourself, hugs, Rach x
rachagogo

Hi Sugar8 - so glad to hear you are doing better now.

I'm on Taxotere with Herceptin too, but with Perjeta instead of the Cyclophophamide. Definitely from what I've read Taxotere is one of the tougher chemo drugs, and I certainly struggled most in the first week, but weeks 2 and 3 (so far) feeling fine. But my oncologist warned me that it would be tough but that he was throwing everything he could at me to give me the best chance possible, so I've been trying to keep that in mind.

Hope you continue to feel better, Rach x
rachagogo

Hi Pennyfarthing - have you spoken to your BCN about the side effects you've been having and checked your temperature? If your temp is fine then hopefully no infection, but always worth checking, plus your BCN might get you to take anti-sickness meds for longer?
Hoping you are feeling much better soon, Rach x
rachagogo

Oh dear horseslave - what a terrible time you've had of it, but glad the Macmillan nurse was able to visit and sounds like she is getting the oncologist onto it. thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs, Rach x
Pennyfarthing

Hi Karen2609. The oncologist prescribed lansoprazole so I'm on it already but only have 3 days of anti sickness cover except domperidone as needed.
Gosh Horseslave I didn't realise you'd had it so rough, lots of those lovely cyber hugs flying their way to you, and anyone on else who needs one right now. Xx
Karen2609

Hi Horseslave

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time. Hopefully the new meds will do the trick next time, when is your next one due? Glad you are back home now and with any luck you will soon start to feel more like your old self.

Joanne76

Hi just, Wendylouise and sugar8 thank you so much for your encouraging words means a lot.
And I'm so glad for yous that things have been going ok.
Hopefully I will follow suit, however right now I feel like running for the hills.

Joanne xxx
Karen2609

Hi Pennyfarthing
Your SE's sound pretty much like mine, I too was worried about when the anti sickness meds stopped on day 5, but that was over a week ago and I've been fine. GP prescribed lansoprozle for windy, acidic stomach and that really helped. Hot flushes have stopped too. Should have different anti sickness meds next time so hopefully they will work. Hopefully you will feel better soon
Horseslave

Oh dear. I have not sailed throught this first chemo at all! It must just be the luck of the draw getting the meds right. Admitted to hospital at start of the week, with 38.4 temp. Got that under control, then sickness started. I was as sick as a dog. Hospital was hot, uncomfortable, noisy. So glad to be home, despite feeling extremely rough and shaky.
Macmillan nurse visited and put my mind at rest. Said oncologist will alter meds for next time. That was not easy, unexpected bad luck.
Pennyfarthing

Hi Wendy, I started with dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, lower abdo pain, mucusy sore throat, tiredness, flushes trotting to the loo frequently... For both, huff said! and that's on Emend , ondesteron, dexamethasone for nausea, sickness. Nasty taste in mouth as well just to add insult to injury! Slightly worried about what will happen when all the anti sickness meds stop tomorrow! There are so many of you on the July thread that are doing so well that I'm feeling a bit despondent! X
sugar8

Hi everyone

Guess what feeling much better on Day 9. :-). I can smile again.

CathC My Energy level is 8:10 so that's great. Will be taking it slowly though. Good to hear you are doing well and I am really pleased for you x x. You'll be probably be fine next session so don't panic. Don't know re weird dreams but is it surprising? I will talk to my nurse next time re Lansoprazole. Wind has dispersed. Hooray 

Sodastream... great about the hair. Hope I can follow your example. 

Thanks Wendy. I was asking because so many others are on FEC instead, I started to get worried so  surfed the net (not always a good idea) and found sometime re the regimes for HER2 which made me question the professionals but after chatting with them again I was satisfied with their choice. If only I knew how Taxotere cyclophosphamide would have made me feel  I would still be questionning Smiley Very Happy

I was looking at another stream and found someone with similar SE's who like me had been given Herceptin alongside the tc chemo. Light bulb moment!! I think it's our combination and the Herceptin together that made it worse. Day4- Day9 of SE's. My temp settled but I made sure I stayed the Ibruprofen. Hope that's ok to do. Enjoy York

Thanks for asking Karen2609.  Yes feeling much, much better today but decide to take it slowly so NO more blips. Will have that walk tomorrow for sure. Thanks for sharing your info re the Mannuka Honey. I didn't buy 10+. so will have to go shopping again!! Smiley Happy Fingers crossed re your hair.

Good luck to Dellan and Laurelle for your first chemo sessions today. How is is going and hope you are fine.

Joanne 76 be strong most of the ladies appear to have got thro' with lesser SEs so don't worry. The first session is always the worse. I was so nervous my normal bulging veins diappeared Smiley Mad Try and get some sleep It will help 

Hi Jackie09. Thanks for taking the time to come to our stream and sharing such lovely well spoken thoughts.It's so true and so helpful, Made me tear up but what's new this days. Even Stevie Wonder music brings on the waterworks. Your advice makes a lot of practical sense. Experience is alway the best. 

wendylois I am really pleased that you are feeling fine. 

hbunny, Pennyfarthing, Flossie, JuSt, Pookieharton, Flossie, and anyone I might have accidently missed. Good luck and soldier on. We shall stay positive and recover from our illness as stronger people. x x

Thanks for being so supportive.

Sugar8

wendylois

Hi Joanne, very best wishes for tomorrow. I had a bit of a wobble over the weekend before starting first chemo on Monday and so far I've felt totally normal. Hope it goes well for you - we'll all be thinking of you. Wendy
JuSt

Hi Joanne,
Just want to wish you all the best for tomorrow and to let you know you will be ok. I know everyone reacts to it differently but as Jackie pointed out there are remedies for all the side effects and the helpline is always there for reassurance. I'm due to start my second treatment on Monday and although not looking forward to it, and still dreading side effects even though I was very lucky with the first treatment, I know I will get through and that each time we have a treatment we are getting a little closer to finishing treatment. Good luck and hugs, JuSt x
Joanne76

Hi Jackie, thank you so much for replying,
I am on the same as you fec-t,
I no what you mean about anxiety making ur mind think the worse that's all I do and have already wasted so many weeks with it, hopefully once I start I will be able to take one day at a time and stop thinking away ahead.
I think I still havnt really admitted to myself that this is happening tomorrow!!
Glad you have done quite well through ur treatment and hope that continues.
The hair is one of my biggest fears and like you don't think I'll be able to look at myself and def can't event think about letting my hubby and kids see me, hopefully as iv read from others I will deal with it better once it starts,
I am a hairdresser and can't even bring myself to do anyone's hair.

Thank you again for replying and good luck to you.

Joanne xxx
Jackie09

Hi Joanne

I've popped over from the April thread. It is perfectly normal to be worried about the possible SEs before you start - nothing is ever as bad as the tricks our imagination does to us. I've had 3x FEC and had my 2 x TAX so far, and was very worried about SEs too. I also hate hospitals and needles, which just added to it all. I took lots of comfort in the fact that many, many many ladies had come out if the other side of chemo treatment - so although I knew it would be tough, these ladies showed me it was doable.
I hated to read this next part, but it's so true - everyone reacts differently to the chemo, so it's not possible to say how you will react. All I know, is that there is pretty much a tablet for any SE you might have, and your chemo unit is there to support and help you minimise whatever you may have.
At the unit, the nurses there are so,so warm and supportive they will make sure it's the most positive experience for you.
As for looking after your little boy - I'm not sure what regime you're on, so that will depend if or when the SEs kick in. After FEC my mum came on the day, and stayed a few days to help. With TAX, she comes a few days after. You will be able to gauge more after the first one - it's the not knowing, I know.
As far as I know, there is no restrictions on driving - you will know when you feel up to it.
The best, best piece of advice I have read, for me, is to take this whole thing one day at a time. If one day is bad, then tomorrow is another start. You will have low days (and good days to match) and having them is normal. Coping with one part at a time, for me, was the best way. After the first cycle, I knew I would have low days but I also knew it would get much, much better. I felt very low when I lost my hair - wouldn't look at myself, wouldn't let my husband see, etc - but that was just how I had to cope at first - and now I'm fine with it. You will do your best because you will cope with this - but everyone needs help through this crap and it's okay to be scared and frightened - and being that doesn't mean you're not coping.
Tomorrow will be fine - how do I know? Because all my tomorrow's have been fine - some of them a bit harder than others - but all have been fine!
One thing i have learnt from this is to try not to let fear and anxiety spoil what could be great days. It has wasted a lot of my energy worrying about things that have never happened.
Hope this has helped x x
Joanne76

Hi ladies,

I havnt been on for a while as I am so scared and nervous about starting tomorrow and not been much company for anyone,
Was at the chemo nurse yesterday and felt it was really rushed however she said that they will go through it in more detail tomorrow,
I am just so worried about all the side affects and will I be ok to look after my little boy, can I still drive, how will I cope mentally with the se and the hair loss, I really want to do my best to at least show my kids and family that I am coping so I don't make them more worried than they already are.

I hope you are all doing ok and suffering minimal se.

Wp23 thank you so much for your support for tomorrow.

And to all the other ladies that have gave me kind words anytime I post.

Good luck to you all.

Joanne xxx