cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

WP23

Re: Anyone due to start their chemo July 2014

Hi JuSt

You have been through the wars haven't you, you deserve a medal 🙂 Thank goodness you had a little break before all of that started.
The docetaxel does have a reputation for reaction, luckily I escaped it (touch wood).
Hope you are feeling well now, onwards and upwards 🙂

Wendy x
WP23

Hi Ruby

Good luck for Friday session, well done on keeping your hair.

I know what you mean about hot flushes, it is horrid isn't it? I wonder if they will stop after treatment? or will the menopause kick in for good (more bleeding SE's) it is just great being a woman isn't it lol 🙂

Wendy x
WP23

Hi Clare

I had lumpectomy, will have 15 radiotherapy then 1 year Herceptin ( or maybe 6 months depending on whether I go on trial).
Cannot understand not going onto radiotherapy if you had lumpectomy as the 2 treatments are supposed to be instead of mastectomy. Did you have mastectomy??? sorry cannot remember now!

Wendy x
WP23

Hi Morag

Strange, I don't have lymph node involvement either!!! very confusing treatment plans I must agree x

Wendy
sugar8

Wendy and Morag. We seem to have the same kind of Ca.and TC. Did you have lumpectomy or mastectomy as you are both moving forward to radiotherapy. I was originally told that I would need it then onc said different, so i have sent him an email to query decision. We shall see.

Ruby good luck with your 3rd session tax on Friday.

shoes hope your cycle went well.

JuSt sorry you had so many hiccups with your veins. Hope they don't stay too sore for long. One of the nurses told me to use Bio Oil for the bruising and so far it appears to be working.

Take care anyone else I have missed

Clare

sugar8

Hi ladies
Good morning. I am well and working today and Friday to keep myself sane :-).

Wendy my legs have been fine throughout. Sometimes a little week but my TED surgery stockings and regular walks help to overcome any weakness. I don't walk as fast but can walk as far, so that's good. I just listen to my body and pace myself and distance I go. I haven't returned to the gym and can't wait to return to my favourite Zumba class.

Cath I am getting used to wearing my wigs. Have to wear them for work. I am never quite sure how to respond when someone compliments me on my hair 🙂 as I haven't told many people about my illness I believe that they think it's my real hair LOL. I just say I am trying a new look

Thanks Karen. Hopefully I shall sail through the last one x x

regards to all
love
Clare (sugar 😎
ruby44

Hi Ladies

Sorry I've been missing for a few weeks just been so busy with kids etc etc. 2nd cycle of tax was much better than 1st - I had lots of painkillers for the bone pain and salt mouthwash for ulcers and was right as rain by day 8. Main problem now is real tiredness - I get hot flushes all through the night that wake me every couple of hours - what I would give for a continuous 8 hours or so of sleep!!

Anyway my 3rd session is day after tomorro and I'm not looking forward to SE's but hey, every day is nearer the end of this horrid treatment. I'm pleased to say I still have managed to keep my hair - the cold cap seems to have worked for me. I've lost loads but gradually - I only Wash twice a week Simple shampoo and dry naturally so fingers crossed!!

Night night all and hope you all sleep better than me

Ruby xxx
shoes220

Hi ladies hope that those who have just had treatment are feeling okay. And those that are due trearment are feeling strong. I cant wait to get the last fec out of the way but not to sure how i will feel about my next 9 week round of chemo. I think i also have 25 sessions of radio over 5 weeks.

Anyway feeling positive for tomorrow so will catch up witth you all later in the week. Take care everyone.

mogs33

I was told to start with I could potentially be on a trial but because my lymph nodes were not involved I am not eligible .. I must say I get a little confused with the differences in treatment for what seems to be the same types of cancer x
JuSt

Hi all - sorry not been on for a while - so much to keep up with.  Had a good week last week with couple of nights in Wales before the madness started again on Friday.  My veins continued being stingy so ended up giving blood from finger prick again which clotted (not enough in the sample i'd guess).  Subsequently, I was called in to have bloods again Monday before chemo could start which meant waiting almost two hours for results.  Again, veins not giving blood so had it taken from my surgery arm but was advised to get PICC line before next chemo - seems a bit late with only 2 sessions left but the blood just will not come out so, although not looking forward to it, am hopeful that will help.  White blood cell count was high but not much was said about that so will need to speak to onc next appt - anyone else had this?  Finally got started on the docetaxel and thought I was just not tolerating the ice mitts as fingers and toes starting burning but then my body started shaking so we called the nurses who also called a Dr in - apparently, I was having a reaction so chemo was stopped while I was given anti-histamine for an hour, then docetaxel given again but at half the rate for double the time - was a looonnnnnng day, finally left at 5.35pm, rather than the lunchtime I'd hoped for.

Anyway, enough of the negative - once I came back it was great to have no nausea or sickness this time. It's still only day three so daren't say too much but don't feel bad at all so far - just a little 'woozy' sometimes and maybe slightly more tired - this seems to be a bonus so far though as i've actually been managing to doze in the day a little which is rare for me but has felt lovely!

Morag - hope you get on ok with treatment tomorrow and manage a nice break in Norfolk - we'll try to grab that drink &  chat when you are back.  Take care x

WP23 - woohoo! Must feel great to have last chemo over - hope you have minimal SE's for this last one. x

To everyone else I may have missed - hope you are all staying as well as possible on this journey - can't believe how fast time seems to be going now and it is great that some are already nearing the end of this part and us others are getting there!!  We can do it!! 

Take care all

JuSt

xxx

CathC

Darn it, I missed a whole page of replies. D'oh!

hbunny, haven't heard much about Vit d. Maybe one of the other ladies has more info?

Sorry to hear about your wig. I was told they should last 3-6 months with heavy wear. 2 months is a bit quick for it to start thinning.

I know how you feel about not looking forward to the battle that may ensue. Our strength is better served for this cancer battle.

Wishing you luck with your bloods tomorrow, and your first docetexel on Friday.

Hiya Morag - good luck for your last FEC tomorrow. Half-way there is a great feeling.

And enjoy your break with hubby. Here's hoping you get a break from the SE's .

Hugs

Cath

CathC

@WP23 wrote:

Hi Cath

Pizza and scones with jam and cream, I am soooo envious.

Yes I am going on to have 15 radiotherapy sessions, I should be given that schedule when I see oncologist next Monday, then I have Herceptin injections once every 3 weeks for 12 months, so looks like I am going to be around for a long while, I think some other ladies are having Herceptin too ( I know sugar is) so we will be able to keep each other going.
I am going back to work on a phased return 2 mornings a week to start with and slowly progressing to 4 full days, I decided right at the start of this nightmare in March that I would never go back to work full time, life is too short and my whole work life balance was not good:( will NOT be doing that again 🙂
Hope you continue to feel good, as you say it is one day at a time, just got to go with the flow xx

Have a good day

Wendy xx

Hi Wendy

It's funny how our treatment differs. I was told at the start that I will have 25 radiotherapy treatments - 5 days a week for 5 weeks. I guess that's more to do with being triple negative and not having Herceptin. I plan to ask my consultant when that is due to start. I'm hoping it will be as quick as possible so that I'm finished all treatment by Christmas.

A phased return to work sounds like a good idea. And I agree with you 100% - life it too short to spend working non-stop. That's one positive that has come from a cancer diagnoses, it fairly wakes you up to the fact that life is finite. Enjoy it while you can.

I spoke too soon about my eyebrows, went to put on my scarf this morning and half of one eyebrow is missing- right in the middle. lol

Hope you, and everyone else, is having a great day.

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Hi Morag

Glad you will be keeping me company 🙂 it is a long road when Herceptin is involved, have you been offered to go on the Persephone trial?? I have and trying to way up the pros and cons, my onc is going to arrange a meeting with someone from trial team before I make a decision.
Hope everything goes well with chemo tomorrow and you have minimal SE's on your break with hubby xx

Wendy 🙂

WP23

Hi Hbunny

It is good to talk it over with the professionals, I asked loads of questions of the chemo nurses as they are very knowledgeable and some also work for McMillan so gave good assurance aswell.
Cant help with the vit d sorry.
I hope you can resolve problems with your wig without it costing you any money, they should be under guarantee surely, as you say cancer aint cheap at all.
Don't be sorry about having a moan, that's what we are here for 🙂

Good luck with number 4 on Friday, more than half way - fabulous xx

Wendy 🙂
mogs33

Hi ladies,
WP23 ... Way to go you've finished your chemo! That must feel amazing . Soon we will all be saying that and I for one can't bloody wait ! I'm on the same regime as you re radiotherapy and herceptin so will be keeping you company on your journey.

CathC ..... Hope your concerns are not realised re your liver an kidney functions. Good look next week.

SHOES220 ..... I'm with you , I think we should have smiley faces all round ! I'm also due to have my last fec tomorrow 1/2 way there ! Hooray . so good luck ....then 3 tax/docetaxel and then radiotherapy and herceptin so will be around for a long time yet.

Karen2609 ..... Do let me know how you fair with the false eyelashes. I still have most of mine but they are fading fast . So I'll be very interested to hear how you get on.

Hunnybunny... Good luck with your first docetaxel on Friday. I hooe you have few SEs or even better non at all as I'm on that after tomorrow's fec. Do let us know how you get on..

Sugar8 ...I'm sure the nail issues resolve after treatment has finished..

Horseslave.... Did you find any nice new headwear websites. I may need to get some warmer winter hats at this rate !

Just..... Hooe you had a nice break in wales and your treatment went well on Friday. Mine was delayed again due to neutrophil levels so I'm in tomorrow. Then off to norfolk for the week probably feeling like crap but I didn't want to postpone it again. Hubby really needs a break .
Speak or you when we get back and afar be coffee and a chat.

Slyolddog.... How r u doing?

To any ladies I have missed I hooe your all doing ok and keeping strong.
I still have days when I can't believe I am going through this and think I am talking about someone else.

Big hugs

Morag xx

hbunny

Hi Wendy.  Thanks for the thoughts, I'm feeling much better having talked things through again.  Went over the pathology report.  I think I just needed to hear the positives again.

In relation to the vit d test, they couldn't request from the hospital, I will have to do that via gp!!  but can't be bothered with making another appt when bloods are due tomorrow.  He didn't however say not to take.  Anyone else get any info?

I've now got a problem with my wig, it's got very thin in one spot so will have to take it back, I can feel a battle ensuing, just what I could do without as that will mean more time off work and can't get there until 16th!  Only had it 2months and although I've worn it a lot didn't expect a thin patch already - feel like I'm going bald twice over.  Just as well I bought a second, but not telling them that.  Will be expecting a replacement and then I'll have to pay out again to have it trimmed.  This illness really ain't cheap.

Anyway sorry ladies for the moan, I really do feel much better in general, just the niggles that a cake will sort out.

Hope everyone else is doing well on the journey, roll on number 4 on Friday.  Xx hbunny

WP23

Hi Hbunny

Glad to hear from you, hope everything goes well with appointments and you get all the answers you need. It is a roller coaster journey and it often feels like one step forward and two steps back, but we will all get there in the end 🙂

Don't let that daily routine take over too much, you still need to rest !! xx

Wendy 🙂
hbunny

Hi shoes, Cath, Wendy and everyone else.  I'm off for my pre chemo onc appt this am and still have loads of questions after Mr melt down a couple of weeks ago, feels like I've gone right back to the beginning and needing to go over the path report again. Will also be looking for a vit d test so will let you know what he says.

I've got my first docetexel on Friday so hoping I get as few side effects as with the fec. Hoping the bloods are ok as well tomorrow as they were borderline last time.

Not posting as often now as the daily routine is taking over, but still keeping up with everyone.

Love to all. Hbunny xx

WP23

Hi Cath

Pizza and scones with jam and cream, I am soooo envious.

Yes I am going on to have 15 radiotherapy sessions, I should be given that schedule when I see oncologist next Monday, then I have Herceptin injections once every 3 weeks for 12 months, so looks like I am going to be around for a long while, I think some other ladies are having Herceptin too ( I know sugar is) so we will be able to keep each other going.
I am going back to work on a phased return 2 mornings a week to start with and slowly progressing to 4 full days, I decided right at the start of this nightmare in March that I would never go back to work full time, life is too short and my whole work life balance was not good:( will NOT be doing that again 🙂
Hope you continue to feel good, as you say it is one day at a time, just got to go with the flow xx

Have a good day

Wendy xx

CathC

Shoes, I think we should all get a smiley face. lol

Good luck for your last FEC tomorrow.

Did you try cleaning your eyes with cotton wool and cooled boiled water? I used to do that with my son when he had Blepharitis.

Karen2609 - I like the sound of your pre back to school treat. We did the same, although youngest didn't want to go out for lunch, which suited me fine as I was very tired yesterday afternoon, so instead we ordered in pizza for tea - added bonus I didn't have to cook. lol

I still have my eyebrows and eyelashes *touches wood* I'm not sure about wearing false eyelashes, have this image of Minnie Mouse batting her massive eyelashes. lol

Let me know how you get on with yours and any tips you may have. I think I will need them.

Wendy, glad to hear you're SE's are minimal so far. Long may that continue.

I had a great time with my friends, thanks for asking. It was lovely to catch up and I had a wickedly sinful scone with jam and cream. YUM!

Are you looking forward to getting back to work on the 23rd? And will you be going on to have rads?

I too was wondering where all the lovely ladies who started with us have disappeared to. I know answering the threads can be confusing, but it would be nice to know if they're all okay. I know horseslave was having a particularly horrible time.

It would be nice if we could all do our treatment together. Nothing like friends to get you through.

Day 16 of 3rd of chemo and feeling great. Was really tired yesterday, but this morning I'm full of energy.

Just taking it one day at a time.

Hugs to all

Cath

WP23

Good morning ladies

Day 3 of chemo 4 and so far so good, never like to speak to soon though!! managed a couple of little walks yesterday and I think the fresh air and mobility done me good, ( I don't usually make it out first week of chemo!).
Cath - hope you had a fab time with your friends yesterday. Glad to hear your mouth ulcers are nearly gone 🙂 have you spoken to some one about water retention? Really hope your veins hold out, my hand is rather bruised and sore after Mondays chemo but not causing too many problems. onwards and upwards for FEC 4 next week 🙂 x

Hi shoes - yes the smiley face really made me feel like I had achieved something!!!! silly I know but it did make a difference to know the team were all pleased. Hope your eyes improve with drops, I have kept lashes, eyebrows and a little fluff (grey:( ) so far, but that may change as chemo 4 kicks in, will be just my luck that they will all drop out on my first day back at work on 23rd Sept!! lol Hope all goes well with your last FEC on Thursday xx 🙂
Hi Karen - pre back to school treat at harvesters sounds scrummy, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Will be good to get little ones off back to school so you can rest up a bit. I do admire all you ladies looking after children and working while going through chemo, you are absolute troopers 🙂 Sorry to hear your lashes are thinning hope you get some nice falsies 🙂 xx

Hope everyone else is getting on well. There seems to be a lot of ladies that were with the group at first that have disappeared, (over 20 at the start) hope they are all ok and doing well.

I hope we can carry on as a group through all our treatments - radio Herceptin etc, will be great to have a BIG cheer at the end of it all xxx

Have a great day everyone 🙂

Wendy
shoes220

my eyes are getting stuck together but i still have my lashes going to ask for eye drops.
Karen2609

Hi Wendy - Glad everything went ok yesterday, must be a great feeling knowing you're all done now. Hope you don't suffer too many SE's
Shoes - I am ever so slightly obsessed by food and drink, wish I could blame it all on the chemo but think I'm a bit like it all the time except I usually have more willpower.
Hope you don't have to spend too long waiting around for district nurse and that your last Fec on Thursday goes well. I don't think you need worry about being on your own on here, I've got 3 Tax to be followed by rads, don't know how many yet. Enjoy your glass of wine, you deserve it 😄
Cath - Glad you're making the most of this week and that your mouth ulcers have gone. Hope that you had a nice time with your friends today, this whole experience seems to make you appreciate a bit of normality.
I too seem to have been weeing more than usual but I must admit I didn't think too much of it, hope this won't affect my bloods on Saturday.

Pre back to school treat today, all you can eat breakfast at Harvester. It was lovely and filled me up for the rest of the day. Not many eyelashes left now so looks like I'm going to have to grips with putting false ones on sometime soon.

Hugs, Karen x
shoes220

Glad it all went well i am going to tell my nurse i want a smiley face too lol You must get that engineer to work quick so we can keep intouch with you
CathC

Shoes, not long now till your last FEC!

I kinda wish I had a pic-line, even with all the problems you all have with it. Bit nervous about my veins holding up.

Don't worry, you won't be on your own on the July thread. I have 3 more Fec and then, like you, have 5 weeks of radiotherapy. Fingers crossed my Christmas present will be an end to all the treatment.

Some days I don't feel hungry, but I force myself to eat something - usually something healthy that I don't like. That way a small amount goes a long way. lol.

Wine is also good.Smiley Very Happy

Wendy, so glad your chemo went well yesterday. And go you, getting a smiley face from the nurses.

Good luck with the injections today. Won't be long now till they're a thing of the past.

Day 15 of 3rd chemo. Mouth ulcers are just about gone and I’m hoping my energy levels will rise this week as my blood count goes up. I am weeing a lot at the moment and my fingers are a bit swollen – my fluid retention guide -, which makes me nervous about my kidney/liver functions, but I’m not going to stress about it till next week.

Onwards and upwards, girls.

Hugs

Cath

CathC

@Karen2609 wrote:
Ahh Cath , you know me too well! Yes I did have a nice glass of wine with dinner. Hope you are making the most of this week before chemo next week.

😄

Hi Karen2609 - hope you could taste that glass of wine.Smiley Wink

YUp, I'm making the most of this week. Planning to meet up with friends today, now that the 'danger time' has passed.

Hope you're still SE-free

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Morning ladies

Cath, Shoes, Karen, thanks for the good wishes for yesterdays chemo. All went well, even got a smiley face in red chemo book for getting through without any hitches!!! 🙂
Sorry did not post yesterday but came home to no phone line and no internet!!!! only working intermittently now until an engineer comes tomorrow!!

Hope you are all well, I am just a little tired but no other SE's at the moment, im sure that will change after first injection today, that is one thing I will definitely not miss.

Take care everyone, onwards and upwards 🙂

Wendy xx
shoes220

Karen enjoy your me time you seem to fill it with food and wine [no post is any good unless it mentions food and wineWoman LOL    Hope tax goes well.

Wendy hope the tc goes okay remember think positive.

Horseslave ohhhhhhhhhhh i have just realised the reason for you name derrrrrrrrr how thick am i. I used to working the shoe trade Smiley LOL

Cathc Thanks cath i cant believe i AM looking forward to my last fec on thursday. Hope your veins are settleing down. Yep listen to your body as it is the boss as you go on this jorney I have got a pic-line because they cant find my veins. I am now at the mercy of the dreaded district nurse who i have to wait in for twice a week who rarely have the stuff to flush or do the dressing verey stressful. not to sure when i finish my chemo as i think 22 days after my fec i will start the weekly tax for 9 weeks then 5 weeks radiotheraphy. So it could be after christmas i hope i am not on my own on july forum i need my chemo buddies.

there is one thing i dont understand i have not been hungery at all for the last 2 days anyone else had this i feel well and have done alot of normal things this week. So i think i will have a glass of wine Man LOL

Karen2609

Ahh Cath , you know me too well! Yes I did have a nice glass of wine with dinner. Hope you are making the most of this week before chemo next week.

Wendy, been thinking of you today. Hope your chemo went ahead as planned and that you are all done. Just the side effects to get through, hope these aren't too bad for you. Congrats on reaching the finishing line 😄
CathC

Horseslave, glad to hear you're back with your beloved horses (and chickens, ducks and baby turkeys)

Here's hoping the FEC is much easier on your system than the TAX.

shoes, so glad you're feeling almost normal again, and you're nearly at your last FEC! Whoo-hoo!

Karen2609 - a morning to yourself sounds just what the doctor ordered. And your cottage pie and apple crumble sound scrumptious. (They'd both go nicely with a glass of wine. lol)

My veins are still tender, and the bruise is still there, although fading now, thanks for asking.

Wendy - wishing you all the best for your last TC. Your bloods will be fine, you will be fine. Thinking of you today.

A lot of us are reaching the end of our Chemo road. I'm not finished till October, but that doesn't seem so far away any more.

Day 14 of 3rd Chemo and ulcers are almost gone. Still feeling tired, but I'm listening to my body and resting when I can.

Here's hoping all the July ladies are feeling equally as well.

Hugs

Cath

WP23

Hi everyone

Well, the day as arrived for last TC chemo (praying bloods are ok to go), cant believe that the time has gone by so quickly. Been awake since 1:45 though with silly steroids 😞

Sugar - glad your not going to let uncertainties about your wig get the better of you - march on it is nearly over. The 10th for your last one fabulous, have you not had poor legs?

CathC - so glad you had a lovely time in the caravan with hubby - just what the doctor ordered eh? lovely walks, fresh air and plenty of sleep 🙂 oh I wish!!
As you say cannot believe the months are passing by so quickly, 1st of September already!! this year has just been a complete write off!!
Hope you continue to stay out of the danger zone and you have a good week before next round - hugs 🙂

Horseslave - so glad you are feeling better and have managed a round with the animals, hugs of horses sounds great, they must miss you very much:) Glad you have made it through TAX - you are a warrier, you seem to have been hit pretty hard by the bugger - onwards and upwards!! the Jamie Oliver book sounds yummy:) take extra special care x

Shies - glad you are feeling pretty normal again, good luck with your next session next week - hope all goes well and you have minimal SE's. xx

Karen - A morning to yourself, sounds great, I love getting that little bit of time to myself to just have a read etc......
Cottage Pie and Apple Crumble, there must be something in the air, made exactly the same last Tuesday!!!!! comfort food ?:):)
Hope you get on well with your first TAX next week - have plenty of rest this week and make sure you drink loads while on TAX xxxx

Sorry haven't responded to all threads, hope everyone has a great week xx

Wendy 🙂
Karen2609

Evening all

Shoes - You're right lots of mention of wine and chocolate this weekend, I shall definitely be having some while I can enjoy it. Good luck with your last fec, doesn't seem long ago that we were all starting out and hereapprehensive about our first treatment.

Horseslave - Glad you are back on your feet again hopefully you will be feeling stronger soon. I usually read through the other threads too, it is lovely to see other ladies getting their lives back again and that maybe in the future we will be able to support others who are going through this. Hope you get your tooth sorted soon. Jamie's Comfort Food book sounds very interesting, just what I'm craving at the moment, don't think I will be able to resist buying it!

Cath - Glad you had a good time in your caravan, it's nice to get away and have a change of scene. I know what you mean about feeling self conscious in your wig. Although I still have hair it looks so awful that I often wear my wig but it never looks right. Its either too far back or forward and seems to slip a lot. Like you the horrible taste has lasted much longer this time and my mouth has been sore but it seems ok now. How are your veins now? Has the bruising cleared up?

Clare - It's good to hear that this has been your best cycle so far, think I will try the dark nail polish when I start Tax. One more to go, hopefully the side effects will be kind to you.

Slyolddog - I'm another one who'll be joining you with the chocolates and wine. Comfort food all round at the moment. I'll be starting Tax just after you and share your apprehension. My onc thinks 40% prefer Tax 60 % FEC, as you say expect the worst but hope for the best.

Wendy - hope you enjoyed your wine, might have a glass myself. Good luck with your last chemo tomorrow, seems to have gone really quickly.

Morag - so sorry to hear your chemo was delayed last week, I'm not surprised it got to you. I think we have all had our dates planned out since starting chemo and having that finishing date pushed back is really depressing. Hope you enjoyed your chemo free weekend and that having a lot of what you fancy has boosted your neutrophil levels.

Had a lovely morning to myself today, teenage daughters were at a sleepover and husband and son went to cricket so I had a lazy breakfast with my kindle before walking the dog and then making cottage pie and apple crumble for this evening. Another week before my first Tax and I intend to make the most of my taste buds while they are around.

Sorry to anyone I've missed, hope everyone has a good week

xx

shoes220

Whiskers thanks for your post it has made me feel more positive for the future. Good luck in your remmision.

Mogg hope you enjoyed your break. Just having a night out with freinds and a day out with an aunt and nice meal made me forget what is going on in my body.

Slygdog Go on just eat nice stuff as long as we eat to cover the times when we dont feel like eating helps to keep our strenght up. Hope the tax goes well let me know how you do. I wish that we could all join you for a party in your room with loads of wine and chocolate. 

Horseshoe So sorry you are not feeling to good sending you a big hug and lots of positive vibes. Enjoy your 

indian i love spicey food when i cant find my taste buds. Dont leave it to long before you visit the dentist maybe he can put a tempoary filling in so you dont get toothache or an infection. Talk to macmillian about the cost they can be very helpful. I use a NHS dentist and he is good.

Cath c i hope the ulcers clear up soon some of the mouth washes they give you are good. hope you enjoyed your break we all need to get away sometimes and do things that we normally enjoy. Also the fresh air is good for us. This page is full of wine and chocolates. Just goes to show when things get tuff we all have a comfort blanket to turn too.

i am feeling really good nearly normal apart from a bit tired.  Only a few days to go to my last fec which the onc promised to drop to 80% again. Cant belive that when i visited this site in the begining i was waiting for my first fec how time flies. Please all keep well and think about Whiskers with her positive news that will be us one day.  Woman HappySmiley HappyCat Happy  Lots of happiness sent to all.

Horseslave

Hello everyone. Sun is out. I am weak but on my feet again, finally day 11 after that rotten TAX stuff. Onto the FEC next, which I am hoping will be a little kinder.
If anyone wants to cheer themself up, read one of the other chemo threads through that are further on in their treatment, say from January! It really makes you realise that there is an end to all this and we will be together talking about much more positive things in a few months time.
My back tooth crumbled in half last night. I cannot believe that we do not get free dental care whilst on chemo. Utterly shocking, considering the effect it can have on your teeth eh. Anothet instance of it not paying to work.
On a positive note, had nice cuddles with the pony. Who seemed pleased to see me and gave 'smoochies' ( nibbles and slobber chops on my neck) went for walk around garden to talk to the chickens, ducks and baby turkeys. They had grown loads in 11 days!
So, I made it through a bad TAX. Feel like a warrior. We are all warriors!

Ooooo, you all have to get jamie olivers ' comfort food' book , every single page has scrummy food on it.
CathC

Hi Morag, I'm so sorry to hear your treatment has been delayed again. How disappointing for you.

And it doesn't sound selfish at all. You and hubby do need to get away and you want to feel as well as possible when you do.

I'm with you re eating what you want when you want. There's gotta be some perks to this cancer business. lol

Enjoy your glass of wine.

slyolddog - the taste in my mouth seems to have lasted longer this time with me too.

I think I'll follow your lead and ask my doctor about exercises for my arm to help with the vein pain.

How's the mouth today? Have you managed to lock yourself in the room with your wine and chocolate? And are there any invites going? Sounds like it's my type of party.

Horseslave, how are you feeling now? Still weak?

I think you're right about the cumulative effect of the chemo, the 3rd one seems to be hitting much harder than the others, and it's taking longer to recover.

As for hat sites I've found a couple, recommend on here http://www.hats4heads.co.uk/

http://www.annabandana.co.uk/

The one Morag posted looks good too.

Clare, good to hear you're getting more sleep with this treatment and feeling much more positive.

I think sometimes we have to get angry at this disease and refuse to let it take over our lives.

How did you find your wig? I must confess I haven't worn mine out yet. I'm not sure why. It's a gorgeous wig, very like my own hair. I don't know, I feel more self-conscious wearing it than I do the scarves and hats.

Day 13 of 3rd chemo and almost out of the ‘danger zone’ . I had a lovely time in the caravan with hubby. Just getting away from home and going for long walks by the lake and forest was so relaxing. I got tired very quickly, though, but that meant that I slept well last night – 10 hours – and feel almost human this morning.

My ulcers are almost gone, but I’m still getting the odd bout of nausea, which is strange, it usually only lasts a week or so. Mind you, the amount of crap I’m eating – the only word for it – I’m not surprised my stomach is rebelling. I think I’ve eaten my body weight in chocolate this weekend alone.

Can you belive it's the last day of August! It’s a gorgeous ay outside this morning and I hope all the July ladies are able to get out and enjoy it.

Stay well ladies

Hugs

Cath

sugar8

Hi all Just read properly thro' the post and could sense the despair among the TNBC. I felt sad but was pleased to see that you were supporting each other and that you were now feeling positive. Sending you hugs.You must try and stay that way and enjoy life to the full. Each chemo cycle is getting rid of the buggers.

Today I put my wig on and felt quite angry with my illness, this cloud of uncertainty this curb on my carefreeness but I am not going to let it get the better of me. No way!!

Wendy I am not far behind you.The 10th. Sorry your legs feel so weak and hope the get stronger soon. I too am wearing dark red nail polish. Interesting that the neuropathy isn't bothering you, then maybe it's a SE of the Herceptin injection. 😞 .

Horseshoe sorry about your slow recovery. Onward and upwards

Mogs How frustrating for you. Enjoy your place in Norfolk. We haven't been to our place in Norfolk for a while. So dictated by appts etc.

hbunny, karen and shoes onward and upwards and Cath hope the mouth ulcers resolve soon. Day 11 of 3rd TC -h cycle. This one has been the best one in spite of the fact I was soooooo tired on day 4 and 5. I got more sleep overall so that might account for the better response. Who knows eh?

Sending you all hugs and good wishes. love Clare

mogs33

I found a lovely website with hats etc it's www.Xazha.co.uk
Might be worth a look at xx
Horseslave have you been on tax alter way so far ? I. On that after my last fec , if that ever happens .
Hope your feeling better soon.
Morag x
Horseslave

Hi everyone.
I have read through everyones posts with great interest. So much going on in all our lives. We all seem to be coping or is that enduring admirably well.
I am currently on the hunt for more interesting headwear. As opposed to scarves. Thinking hats. Any good websites we have happened upon yet?
Day 9 after TAX still unable to function properly. Weak as a kitten. Never mind. Using diffln for sore mouth, which is very good.
I have accepted that its going to be slow recovering from this third one, accumalitive effect they think.
Hope noone else gets hit as hard, wouldn't wish it on anyone this bad.
Anyway, onwards and upwards. Indian takeaway for tea! Yum yum!
mogs33

Thanks Slyolddog , you haven't half made me chuckle.... Cake , Chips, steak and wine it is x lol
Thanks WP23 I feel much better already thanks for the support xx enjoy your wine x
Slyolddog

Morag, I'm so sorry to hear your chemo has been delayed again and this has messed up your plans for a restful break away. It's difficicult enough trying to plan anything normal during the two weeks that most of us actually feel ok without a set back at the last minute. I really hope your neutrophil levels pick up in time to have treatment next week. On the food front I have to say I have never eaten as badly as I have since I started chemo because I only eat the things I actually like the taste of. Although some of these things have been good, good soups, tons of carrots and other veg rather than fruit, they have been balanced with an over liberal dose of things like chips and cake. Other than that the only thing I have done is upped my red meat intake a little, for which I heartily apologise to the cows, they don't deserve it! Woman Embarassed

Whiskers - thanks for popping in with good advice. I'm due to start Tax next Friday and the nerves are beginning to build. It's nice to know there's something else that I can ask for if I have a bad reaction to the Tax. There seem to be conflicting views on the pages of the forum about whether its better or worse than FEC, and though I know everyone's different and therefore reacts differently I still assume the worst but hope for the best.  I've been looking on the forum for the ladies who started chemo in August to see how they're doing and mostly they seem to be flying through it, I'm quite jealous.

Cath - glad you're felling generally OK apart from the ulcers. I get mine along the underneath of my tongue so that they catch on my teeth when I chew, which smarts a bit I can tell you. However they are few each treatment I have so can't complain. The taste in my mouth seems to have lasted longer this time, although reduced in intensity. I can't wait for that to be over and to be able to feel a freshness in my mouth rather than the felling that a slug has crawled over it.  Like you my arm is very sore where the veins have been damaged, I'm going to ask the nurses about some physio excercises to relieve the discomfort. It's ironic that having done the excercises for my left arm following surgery and made good progress my right arm also now has reduced reach.

Shoes - hope you enjoyed your night out, it makes such a difference. My head wants to drink wine but my mouth and my stomach are saying don't bother, it will taste horrible. Once my taste buds have recovered I'm going off to a room on my own with a bottle of wine and some chocolate. Smiley Very Happy

On a different note there has been some dicussion on here lately about a blood test which can detaect cancer.  I read this somewhere too, apparently it works by detecting a rise in white blood cells which indicate that there is a sickness somewhere in the body. The article I read indicated that this was only proving effective for certain types of cancer, one of which was lung cancer which would make sense. Unfortunately breast cancer wasn't one of them, so we will continue to have our boobs put through the mangle on a regular basis for early detection. Joy.

To those of you having treatment today I hope all goes well and to those of you nearly finished well done. That will be all of us before we know it. Have a good weekend ladies, enjoy the better weather which is due to come our way next week and here's to minimal side effects for all of us. XX

WP23

Hi Morag

So sorry your chemo is delayed again and your plans for a lovely week with hubby have been messed up. I agree give up with all the healthy eating for a while, eat and drink what you want when you want, and enjoy that wine. I will be having a few glasses tonight too!!:) xx

Wendy
mogs33

Morning all,
Disappointing day again yesterday as my neutrophil levels were 0.8 so no chemo until next Thursday.
I have been delayed every session so it just got me yesterday . this would have been my third so I am already 2 weeks behind everyone else.
I know it Sounds really selfish when all they are doing is trying to help me but we were due to go away for a week next Thursday . Only to our house in norfolk but hubby and I just need a proper break and now I will feel rubbish for my week away.
So I had a bit of a melt down in the chemo unit yesterday but I am looking on the bright side today and going to enjoy my chemo free weekend. Sod the healthy eating, beetroot juice, Manuka honey, Himalayan ginseeng as that obviously makes no difference to my neutrophil levels. I'm going to have a few glasses of wine and see if that works instead! Lol.
I hope you are all coping and trying to keep positive . have a good weekend ! Cheers x
Morag
CathC

Hi clare

Good to hear you've found your energy again and are managing to work odd days.

Haven't had any neuropathy so can't say about the toes or fingernails. Maybe someone will pop in with some information.

shoes - hope you had a good night out. It's lovely to do 'normal' things, isn't it?

I'm off in the caravan today, just for one night, but I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet. Hubby, not so much, so it should be an interesting evening. lol

whiskers2013, thanks so much for popping in, all information gratefully received.

Congrats on your 1 year all clear. Long may it last

Day 11 of 3rd Chemo. Still have the mouth ulcers, they’re harder to get rid of this time. Also, I’m finding it hard to sleep the last few days. Most peculiar as I’ve done nothing but sleep since I started chemo. Maybe I’ve used up my sleep store? Lol. The bruise on my arm is still tender and it’s making me a bit nervous about my next session as I seem to be running out of veins.

Have to keep reminding myself that I’m half-way there. I can do this. We can do this.

Hope everyone has a good weekend with minimal side effects

Hugs

Cath

whiskers2013

Bloody auto correct lol docataxol not tackling 😕
whiskers2013

Hi shoes220, I'm from the July 2013 group and now all finished. Thought I'd let you know how I got on with it. I had an allergic reaction on my 2nd dose of tackling so they put me on it for the last 2 doses. Apparently it does exactly the same but with it being coated it is so much more kinder to our poor bodies. It is very expensive hence why its not used as much and I had to phone through the morning of my treatment to confirm I was coming. Now for the bit that is the most annoying and upsetting but great news for you. Compared to the fec and the one dose of docataxol I had it was a complete walk in the park and I recovered so quickly with very little discomfort or pain.Such a terrible shame that this much kinder drug isn't more widely more available and it as always comes down to cost 😞 good luck with the rest of your treatment, I've not long had my 1 year mammogram and all clear and moving on 🙂
shoes220

Hi anyone else on pachitaxel?  According to the onc its more gentle on the body. Just a quick post on here as going out tonight wow not done that for the last few months. Anyway i will pop in tomorrow.

Take care and stay positive ladies.

WP23

Hi sugar, thanks for the good wishes, you wont be too far behind me will you? 🙂

It is great when you can socialise isn't it, it brings some normality back to life.

Cant answer on the finger nails as I have kept mine varnished with dark purple all the way through. My legs are very achey, and I cant walk too far, hills really hurt too, hope they strengthen when chemo is finished.

Hope everyone is having a positive day xx

Wendy 🙂
sugar8

Hi ladies

it appears that we are now getting anxious re outcomes. I was the same after I came up for air after 3rd cycle. I have emailed my questions to my BC nurse who's going to pass it on to my oncologist. Smiley Indifferent

Looks like these time  treatment bringson all the questions.

Anyway inbetween resting i am trying to catch up with my social life as it helps me to normalise. Meeting friends weekly now that I am feeling well and working odd days too. Going for long walks also helps.

Now the fatigue has lighted my main SE is the slight neuropathy of toes and my fingernails now have  slight purple moons. Does anyone knows if that resolves with time?

love

Clare x

Wendy Good luck for the 1st Sept.The last cycle woohoo x x x x

CathC

Horseslave, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling awful at the moment. I've no idea how hard tax is as I'm only on FEC, but it sounds horrendous. How many more sessions of tax do you have?

Feel better soon.

hbunny - glad to hear you're back to your positive self. We all have down days, but I have to say the ladies here are amazing. No one seems to stay down for very long.

We rock!

Shoes - glad your onc spent time answering your questions. You sound so upbeat now, it's fantastic to hear.

Karen2609, sounds like you had a good talk with your onc too. (Yay for junk food and being able to taste cake. lol)

Here's hoping the double omeprazole helps with the acid.

Morag, what a lovely post. Together we can beat this bloody disease.

Day 10 of 3rd chemo. I phoned the helpline yesterday about my bruise. It’s still very sore and travelling up my arm. Nurse said as long as it wasn’t red or hot to the touch it should be fine. Confirmed what I already knew but feel better for talking to someone about it. I really should phone sooner, but come on, stressing about a bruise! It’s just not in my nature. (although, I guess that’s just what I did. Lol)

Still have the ulcers in mouth, mainly on my tongue, but they’re bearable. Can  only taste strong tasting foods at the moment, but can still taste chocolate, so I guess I shall have to force myself to eat more – purely medicinal,  of course. Lol.

Hugs to anyone going through chemo this week, or suffering from SE’s.

Cath

shoes220

thanks moggs i thought i had thrown a spanner in the works when i asked the question.xx